Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 2,739 Words
  • 1,460 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 123. Chapter 123

The morning came with a bed full of sleeping boys. Colin was awake, “Why did we book a room for these boys?”

“I think they enjoy this as much as we do. Soon they will be to old for this.”

“They are too old now. The youngest is 12 and before going home he’ll be 13. Ronny will be 14 as soon as we get home and the other two are 13.”

“This will end when we get to Italy.”

I wasn’t sure I wanted it to end but I also realized the boys are getting older and soon they will be asking for their own rooms. With that thought, “I think Marie will be coming home with us.”

“If she does come home with us, and the boys wanting their own room plus our visitors, I think I’ll look to buy a hotel.”

I went to reach for Colin, when a voice said, “Will it have a pool on the roof?”

That started me to laugh. They were pretending to be asleep while listening to us.

“What do you want to do today?”

“What time is Carlos arriving?”

“The same time we did. I booked him on the same train.”

“Did you book him a room?”

“No, but the hotel didn’t look full. I’ll do it this morning before we have breakfast.”

“Be sure you do, he is to old to share a bed with.” That started the boys to giggle.

“Who’s hungry?” Now Colin started to laugh. I knew why, when weren’t these guys not hungry.

“Dad, do they have crepes here?”

“No, they have a buffet. I wonder if the Chef would consider making pancakes?”

“You can ask since you allowed him to prepare your other fish.”

“I will”

“Don’t be surprised is he says no.”

“I wonder if they could be kept warm for the buffet.” My assignment for this morning to go and get dressed and we can have breakfast. Then we can decided what we are going to do for the day.

The boys left, while Colin and I were getting dressed for the day, “You’re going to do it, aren’t you.”

“Do what?”

“Talk to the chef about making pancakes.”

“How many do you want?”

Laughing we headed for the elevator.

I did go to see the chef. He wasn’t sure about what a pancake was until I said a thing like a crepe. That he knew, he pointed to his certificate and it was from a cooking school in Paris. From that moment on, we became friends. While he whipped up a crepe batter, we got better acquainted. By the times the boys came downstairs for breakfast, the crepes were ready. I went and met them in the dining room, there was the buffet. The boys were in line behind Marie, when I mentioned for them to follow me. I led them to a table in the kitchen and there on their plates where the crepes. I think the chef was surprised when the boys thanks him in French. From that moment on, the chef became ‘Oncle’.

Colin came looking for us, I met him as I left the kitchen. “I asked the chef if he could make pancakes but he said no.”

“You have our parents worried. Where are the boys?”

“They needed to make a pit stop. They will meet us in the dining room.”

Walking into the dining room, Marie asked where were the boy? I told her, pit stop.

Colin had his breakfast and was heading for a table when the boys entered. Marie asked them where were they. They said they were with Oncle. Colin heard that, “You didn’t.”

“I did” The rescals rubbed their stomachs.

I sat down with my coffee and buffet breakfast. The boys had a cup of coffee, more like half and half. Colin kept looking at me. Then they all started to ask, what’s wrong.

Mom wanted to know why the boys aren’t eating. It was Marie that told them, “They ate in the hotel’s kitchen. Tell your grandparents what you had for breakfast.”

Now Richie realized that they didn’t know about the crepes. “We had scrambled eggs.”

Now Colin, “Just plain scrambles eggs. No toast or bread.” I knew he knew, then the boys started to laugh. Mary asked Tommy and I knew they would all know.

“It’s Colin’s fault. He dared me to ask the chef to make pancakes and it so happened he is a graduate of a cooking school in Paris, so he made crepes for the boys.”

I looked at my dad. If looks could kill, I’d be dead. Then he smiled, I don’t think my dad could stay mad at me. Next to Colin, he was my biggest fan, closely followed by my mother.

I had to promise crepes or pancakes tomorrow.

Sitting around the table with our second or third cup of coffee, we planned our day. I told them Carlos and Alicia would be arriving this afternoon. That meant we would meet them at the train station. It also reminded me I needed to make their reservations.

“Colin, brief them on some of the Gaudi sights they may not have visited and maybe we could do that this morning and then we can visit the old city tomorrow.” I hadn’t forgotten my meeting with Alesander.

The morning we spent visiting the Gaudi gardens. The dads were getting a little tired, they preferred fishing. I whispered to Colin to make a path to his tapa place.

“We haven’t seen everything here.”

“The dads are getting bored. It’s a little early but it you take them by the wharf, we can meet you for tapas in about 1 and 1/2 hours. See if you can arrange a fishing trip. Not for tomorrow but in a couple of days, after the tour of the old city. The boys will be interested in that.”

I watched as he told the dads he had to go to the wharf to arrange another fishing trip and did they want to go with him. Watching the dads as he talked to them, the smiles said they would be going to the wharf. I told the ladies, Colin was going to the wharf to arrange a fishing trip for when Carlos got here.

I was afraid the boys wanted to go but Marie got them interested in the gardens reminding them of the flowers and plants they saw in Paris.

Now I listened, the ladies wanted to know which plants would survives in the US, that reminded me of Richies questions in Paris. Our moms took out a note pad and started to keep notes on the plants. “Dad, we have that plant on our roof.” That settled any questions about that plant being available in the States. As we continued to walk through the gardens, Richie and the boys noted several plants we had in our roof garden.

I kept checking the time, I didn’t want the dads to have to much time at the tapa restaurant before we arrived. Remembering my last time here, we did have time to tour the small home on the site. This, the ladies liked.

It was Marie who suggested we think of lunch. She said she was concerned that the boys might be getting hungry. I chuckled to myself, but the truth was I was getting a little hungry as well. So I steered them to the Tapa Bar where Colin and our dads were probably on their second beer.

 

Walking into the bar, I couldn’t see them in front, that is where I expected them. Looking in the back where the tables were, I saw Grandfather and then I knew they were there with Alesander as well. The moms, Marie and Richie headed to one table, then the waiter pulled two tables together. Now we all could sit together. Colin looked at me, I winked at him. We ordered our wine while looking over the menu. “Let’s try the Tapas. The waiter will bring a tray with various tapas and, you tell him what you want and he will put it on your plate. Then he will mark that piece of paper next to your plate.”

“What if I pick something I don’t like?”

“Then leave it on your plate and Pop will eat it.” I knew there wasn’t anything they wouldn’t like.

They brought our drinks. My mom made a comment that she has drank more alcoholic drinks in these last few weeks then she had in a year. I chuckled because I don’t remember her ever drinking any alcoholic drinks. I knew dad would stop at a local bar for a beer now and then, but mom, no way.

“I hope I’m not making you an alcoholic.”

“You aren’t but a small glass of wine with a meal is nice.” I smiled. Of course she still didn’t approve of the boys having a small glass of wine with their meal.

I watched the boys, each boy would take a different tapa, if available. They would taste it and give it a thumbs up or down. I knew what these tapas were and I would have been surprised if there was a thumb down. As I expected, there weren’t any.

I wondered why we didn’t have places like this at home. I would think it would be great for business people, they could have a hot lunch instead of a cold sandwich. Maybe I’ll try a tapa cart like the hotdog carts I have seen in New York.

“Armand, wake up. Where were you?”

“I was thinking about another business for home.”

“Dad, if you start another business at home can we help?”

“Yes, Richie. You and the boys will be on the Board of Directors and key staff members.” I was right about him. Leaning over to whisper into Colin’s ear, “Dad needs to change his business sign to Roberts, Roberts and Rowe.”

Colin looked at me and then Richie, “Richie, are you sure you want to go into business with Dad and not me?”

With a smile, “Why not both?”

“”What would you like to do? Maybe be a doctor like your dad? Or a business man like me?”

“I didn’t know you were a business man. I thought you just ran the club.” Then with a smile. “I think you and I need to talk about what kind of business you have?” I started to laugh.

“I suggest you put together a business plan including your new partner.”

Now we all were laughing but I knew this could happen. I smiled and shook Richie’s hand.

The boys patted Richie on the back in a congratulatory manner.

 

Walking to the train station, “We need to check on the orphanage. I haven’t spoken to Pat since we have been here in Spain.”

“Charlie said he has a surprise for you.”

“Why me? What is it?”

“Pat and him have met with the county school board. They weren’t sure they could accept the children from the orphanage. They said they are limited on space and would need to increase staff. Pat told them if they didn’t accept her wards, she would meet with the State commission on education. They asked for numbers by age and would get back to her. George said she was a fighter and she said she owes it all to you.”

“What do they expect the school board to do?”

“I don’t know, but she invited the board to the orphanage when it was finished and George is going to have his men working on a modular classroom in one of those prefab buildings.”

“What will she do with that building if the County accepts the children?”

“I don’t know, but an empty building could make a good storage place.”

Thinking about Pat, I wonder who would take over after she retires. “Dad, there’s the train.”

Looking at Tommy, I knew who would take over.

Another project for me, to start planning on our children’s future. The only problem I had right now is Ivan. I’ll need to spend more time with him to see where his interests lie. Ronny will end up being a coach at a school, Richie will fit right into Colin’s business, and Tommy will replace Pat. Then I saw GG laughing. I had a feeling, except for Ronny, I was going to be surprised.

The boys saw Carlos first but Alicia wasn’t with him.

“Carlos, where is Alicia?”

“She isn’t coming.”

“Why, is she ill?”

“No, but our mothers don’t think it would be wise for her to travel right now.”

Our Moms, started to smile, “When?”

“The doctors said probably sometime in May.”

Colin and I started to laugh. “Congratulations. Why are you here?”

“You didn’t tell us where you were staying. So I came and I’ll used her ticket to return tomorrow. I hope you don’t mind?”

“Nonsense, we are happy for you.” The boys wanted to know what we were talking about. Marie told Richie who told the other boys. Boys copy parents even when we are unaware of it. They gathered around Carlos and shook his hand, copying Colin, the dads and I.

“Let’s get you settled into the hotel and you can call home so Alicia will know you have arrived safely.”

In doing so, we walked past the docks. The boys started to tell Carlos about fishing.

“We caught a fish this big,” They stretched their arms out to indicate how big the fish was.

Carlos laughed, Looking at Colin and I, “You should be ashamed teaching those boys your fishing tales. A fish that big would take two men to carry it.”

Donny hadn’t downloaded his camera so he showed Carlos the picture of the tuna we caught the first day fishing. “That is a big fish. So you weren’t telling a fish story.”

“Carlos, we booked a fishing boat for tomorrow thinking you and Alicia would be here for a few days. If you don’t want to go, we understand and will cancel the fishing.”

“I’ll let you know after I talk to Alicia tonight.”

I whispered to Colin, “Want to bet he will stay for fishing?”

I just smiled. We walked to the hotel, got Carlos registered for two nights. Th boys wanted to show Carlos the pool, so we went to the roof for drinks. The ladies joined us.

The boys wanted to know about the lambs. Carlos had to tell them about each of their favorite lamb. I wasn’t sure the ones he talked about were their favorites or just stories Carlos made up. I wonder how he is going to explain to his children that those lambs are being raised to be eaten.

When you are sitting around with friends and family, time seems to slip by. The boys went and put on their swim suits and played in the shallow end of the pool. I could tell they were getting hungry, they would look at Colin or me and rub their stomachs. It was Dad who noticed, “I think the boys are getting hungry.”

The ladies chose to eat at the hotel. I think the Dads wanted to go with us, but when Mom stood and said let’s go Dad. The dads knew they were going to eat at the hotel.

I walked with the boys back to their room to change out of their swim suits, “Marie, you can come with us or stay with the ladies. Your choice.” She opted for the ladies.

We walked to Marko’s via the dock. The boys pointed out the boat we would use. We watched one of the boats come in with shrimp, no fish.

The boys caught Carlos’s look, “You’ll see tomorrow.”

Dinner that night was the same since we got here, paella with lobster. Carlos liked it and wondered if he could make it at his restaurant. I told him he probably could find a recipe if he looked for it. I didn’t think you could make it with lamb. I did have it with seafood and chicken, but that was as far as it went.

Have you ever watched some one eat something they never had before. It reminds me of a coroner, each particle of food is separated. studied and tasted. That is what Carlos did with his paella, smiling all the time

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 26
  • Love 29
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

22 hours ago, FloMZ said:

"Have you ever watched some one eat something they never had before. It reminds me of a coroner, each particle of food is separated. studied and tasted. "

It`s a habit of a chef to start eating that way. Second stage is to taste all components of the dish together to get the whole picture. The first bites of any meal are "work" for a chef, but the fun of eating starts after that. 

I never knew that chef's did that. I have seen people do that in restaurants. I think as a patron of a restaurant that type of guests are disrespectful to the chef. To think they would be served something that needed to be analyzed before tasting and enjoying. I trust the chef and the food served or I wouldn't eat there again. 

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment

They do! I and my friends (Chefs and servers) are often told about our habit by our family. We want to unterstand why a dish works and how the components on the plate are preped to make them work as a dish. You have to keep in mind, that a chef visting a restaurant as a guest is to some point also at work. I know it's a habit that can be annoying. But I want to learn from the other chefs, so I have to analyze the food.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

As this trip continues, not only are the boys learning new things, but they are also growing up. Not in leaps and bounds, but slowly and surely, and exhibiting empathy they have clearly learned from watching their 'Dad' and 'Pop' - Armand and Colin. 

After returning 'home' to a new house built as a duplicate and tribute to Ritchie's original family home, the boys will continue to expand their horizons as their futures begin to unfold.

Thank you Cal for another insightful chapter.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 11/24/2022 at 2:15 AM, CLJobe said:

I can understand the school board position when faced with the boys and girls from the orphanage.  For a small country school that could be frightening. The school board has the responsibility to provide for those children, they are going to need help.

This is very true whether faced with an orphanage or a new housing development.  It applies to large schools as well.  The schools have limited space.  New developments or something like the orphanage creates an immediate need for both new space, services and teachers.  The funds for these are from property taxes that won't be available to the school district for a while.  Especially if it is space that is needed.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Armand and Colin need to prepare for changes ahead as the boys get older.  I am glad they are thinking about this now.  Armand is smart in investing in a new business with Alesander and his grandfather.  Also, I like the idea of a new tapas restaurant at home.  Great chapter!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..