Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,022 Words
  • 684 Views
  • 17 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 233. Chapter 233

Mornings are the same for me, but this morning was different. I started to pack for our trip to Paris. I was happy, Carl came rushing in, “Where’s my son?” I pointed to the bed.

“You scared me, Dad.”

“Carl, sit down and tell me why you are acting this way about the baby.”

“I’m afraid that my father or his friends will come and grab him.”

“Your father is in jail along with his two friends. They can’t hurt you.”

“People in jail talk. He probably told his friends why he is there.”

“I don’t know too much about what is discussed in jail. But any person with children who hears why your father is in jail would soon take action. Just because a person is in jail doesn’t mean they have no sense of right or wrong in regard to children. Some of those men are fathers.”

“Until they are all dead, I can’t take chances.”

I understood Carl’s position, his life with his father was a living hell. I shuddered when I thought of what he had gone through. But, there must be an end to his nightmare. I heard the rocking chair.

I took the baby and went to the garden on the roof. Sitting there, the baby was fascinated with a butterfly. Every half hour, Carl would check on his son.

“We are watching the butterfly.” Sitting next to me, he took the baby and began to play with him. I watched, he would nestle his face in the baby’s chest playing peek-a-boo. As I watched I felt angry that Carl had a fear that would direct his actions with all of his children. Carl’s father and his cohorts were in jail and in a way so was Carl.

Carl went back to his painting and the baby and I sat in the garden.

Carl must have thought a lot about our early discussion. “Dad, I’m going home to get his bottle, I’ll be right back.”

This was the first time Carl left me with the baby. Generally, he was only a few feet from me.

Before he left, I heard, “Dad, where are you?”

It was Carla. “We are in the garden.”

“Dad, where is Carl? I want to take the baby home. He needs to have his lunch and nap.”

“He is in his studio.”

“I checked and he wasn’t there.”

“Then he’s in the shop. Say here and I’ll get him.”

Getting him out of the shop was easy. I went to the study and stamped on the floor three times. Walking back to the roof garden, I could hear him on the steps.

“He’s coming.” I watched as he raced into the garden and then stopped as he saw Carla with the baby.

Letting out a breath, “I thought something was wrong. You scared me, Dad.”

Something has to be done to get this man to relax.

Carl, Cara with the baby left. I actually walked to the road with them. I have a new project for Colin, a bridge over the road so they can cross safely.

Instead of going home, I closed up the house and headed to the Home for lunch. I convinced myself that was the reason.

Over lunch, I told Tommy and Pepe that Pop and I were going to Paris to see Pierre’s cottage. Tommy and Pepe moved into Pat’s so we had lunch in the sun room. Gerry joined us for coffee after he had lunch with the kids.

It was close to 3 when I left, I had to be home in time to heat the soup as Ronnie’s kids would be arriving.

I heard the car stop, thinking it was Ronnie with his kids, I started to get the milk ready, “Richie, I thought you were Ronnie dropping off his family.”

“I have a favor to ask. Anne Marie is going with Julia and I will be with Ronnie, so”

I didn’t let him finish. I went outside and brought the kids in. His boys remind me so much of him and his little girl was the apple of my eye, as Colin would say. The kids were happy, and now we waited for the other group. Richie’s three, and Ronnie’s seven would make the house feel alive.

Now I had a kitchen helper, so I thought. “Dad, can they sleep here? We will be late getting back and I don’t know what time Anne Marie will be home.”

“Bring over their sleeping clothes and clothes for tomorrow.” I just finished saying that when Ronnie walked in.

“Are you going to be alright, Dad?”

“Yes, bring their clothes for tomorrow and PJ’s. We’ll camp out tonight.” That meant sleeping on the floor in Pop’s sleeping bags.”

“How’s that sound, kids.” The usual response, yea. Except Ronnie’s to older girls, they preferred a bed.

The boys left returning with clothes for the kids.

I had helpers in the kitchen, Ronnie’s two girls. They filled glasses with chocolate milk, stirred the soup, and took slices of buttered bread to the dining room table. I told them to take the bowls and soup spoons and I’ll bring in the pan of hot soup. I stirred the soup as it heated. At one point a filled a small bowl, that was for Richie’s daughter.

The kids who had homework were busy when I walked in with the pot of soup. I don’t know how Charles does it, but his soup teases the appetite so that you must take at least one spoonful. Books away it was time for serious eating.

I filled the bowls, the boys took them to the kids finishing with their bowls. While we were eating I asked about school. I remember when our boys would come home and tell us tales of the school day And now their children do but there isn’t much difference except the names. We laughed, I had to say a few tsk tsk and then laugh as well. With the soup finished, the table cleared, dishwasher loaded, we went and brought up the sleeping bags.

A short chapter
Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Love 19
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

16 hours ago, Anton_Cloche said:

A short chapter but absolutely stuffed full of love, that you imbue in most everything you publish Cal.

Soup is often the one food most people crave. They remember their favourite as a child, which was a 'comfort food' for them. (As it should be for every child, and yes everyone else). A steaming bowl or mug of cream of tomato soup with a grilled cheese sandwich.

Grilled Cheese Animation GIF by The Explainer Studio

Or homemade soup. It can be chicken or turkey made from the bones left over from Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner, simmered for hours with vegetables, rice or barley. Or with all the Sunday fishing the 'Home' boys do, a hearty bowl of chowder? 

Chicken Soup GIF

(Sorry, trip down memory lane). 

Carl's fear for his son needs attention. Even with his 'father' in prison, Carl is terrorized by worry. Colin and Richie will help on the legal side, while the rest of the family will lend support. The life lessons (by example, support and love) of Armand and Colin and GG 🐦 will endure. :heart:

Thank you again @CLJobe

🫂

In all of my travels, I found soup a constant menu item. If I had to list one food that is truly international, it would be soup.

Carl has a right to be concerned, but I think I heard a creaky rocking chair. 

I was working on my final chapter and ended up adding more. I am beginning to share some of my reader's concerns, is this story ever going to end. 

  • Wow 1
  • Sad 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, CLJobe said:

In all of my travels, I found soup a constant menu item. If I had to list one food that is truly international, it would be soup.

Carl has a right to be concerned, but I think I heard a creaky rocking chair. 

I was working on my final chapter and ended up adding more. I am beginning to share some of my reader's concerns, is this story ever going to end. 

I don’t want it to end , Perhaps book 2 with Carl or Ronnie playing the The New Family Patriarch 📚📖🎯

  • Love 4
Link to comment
15 hours ago, JohnnyC said:

I don’t want it to end , Perhaps book 2 with Carl or Ronnie playing the The New Family Patriarch 📚📖🎯

This story is about life, the life of two men. You have shared their laughs and cries, their highs and lows. Life lives on, but there is also an end. But we have a few more chapters to go.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 3
Link to comment

Carl will be an overly protective father if he doesn't relax a bit.  I wonder if some counselling would help him.  Seeing how the grand kids keep Armand alive and the house filled is nice.  It's nice that there are a few old enough to help him.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..