Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,545 Words
  • 2,643 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 29. Chapter 29

Sleep came quickly after doing our exercises. I realized how loving Colin could be after satisfying his architecture interests. I wonder if he realizes that seeing these ancient buildings has sparked his interest in studying architecture. I wonder what the club will look like when he is finished,

We had a light breakfast in our hotel, and that was after I reminded him where we would go for lunch. If Colin knew what he would see and the history behind the various buildings, he would have chosen not to have breakfast.

Walking to the Forum, “The Forum was the center of ancient Rome. The ruins tell a story, When I was here the first time, I didn’t focus on these ruins, and now with you, I’ll listen while you explore them and their stories.” I knew from our visit to the Gothic Quarter in Barcelona, he would read all of the plaques and posted information, which he would tell me what he read.

It never bothered Colin what people thought when they would see us holding hands or kissing. He was oblivious to those people, which suited me fine.

We walked to the center of the Forum. “This place is the center of Rome, and as such, there were important buildings and temples built

“Armand, those columns look like those in Barcelona.” We walked toward the columns, and there was a podium in front explaining this site in Italian, English, and Spanish.

“Armand, this was where the Temple of Saturn existed. According to this, it was the largest and one of the oldest temples on this site.” Collin continued to read to me. “The Gauls burned down the original temple, but it was rebuilt in 42 BC. Originally it was built to honor the god, Jupiter. Besides religious services, it also served as a bank.”

“I don’t think it was a bank like we have today. Probably more like safety deposit boxes where people could store their money.”

“I wonder what else was here and now is in ruins.”

I noticed a small stand as we entered the Forum. I went there and saw a guidebook of Rome in English, and I bought it and gave it to Collin.

He actually sat down on the steps of some ruin and started to read the section on the Forum. I guess there was a diagram of the Forum showing the layout of various places. He would read, then look for a building or artifact.

He started to laugh, “What is so funny?”

“When we hear about people worshiping money, we think that is a relatively new comment. But the people who worshipped at the Temple of Saturn made sacrifices in the hope of financial success. I guess the love of money has existed for a long time .”

“People haven’t changed. Some desired wealth, some want power, and some wanted the finer things in life. Human nature hasn’t changed over the years.”

“There are four other temples on this site, and there’s quite a few in this area.”

“Being the center of Rome, I imagine every god they worshipped had a temple here. I think this was a commerce center as well.”

“Do you remember the movie, Cleopatra? Do you think that her entrance to Rome came through here?”

“I don’t know, but I know that celebrations were done here. Notably, when the troops returned from a victorious battle, it probably was a parade ground as well. What were other important buildings here?”

“The Roman Senate was here, and the building was called the Curia. It was rebuilt and then converted to a church, and that must be the building over there.”

We walked toward the building never made it. Colin saw the remnants of an arch. “Armand, look,” and that became his litany for the rest of the morning. Each remnant of a building or arch had a story.

I watched as Colin touched each of the buildings or what was left that were still standing. He would look at the book, check the map in the book, and walk to the spot. If any part of the building were there, he would touch it, then turn and smile at me. I wasn’t sure what he was thinking, but he was enjoying his time here in the Forum.

We were married at a public place. When we stood in front of the Curia, which now was a church, Collin took my hand and looked at me, “Armand, I take you as my husband to love forever.”

I was confused as to why he did this. He looked at me as expecting something. “Colin, I take you as my husband forever and beyond.”

He kissed me, and I had to respond in like manner. Then we laughed.

“I’m hungry. Can we go back to that restaurant we ate at yesterday?”

We took a break at 1 for lunch. By the time we got to the restaurant, it was closer to two. A few ruins and buildings needed to be seen in more detail. I didn’t care, and he was having a good time. He allowed me to pause and study paintings in the museums, so it is only fair that I allow him to do the same here among these artifacts and remnants of early Rome.

Walking into the restaurant, Ai Tre Scalini, the waiter, recognized us. He went and got two glasses of wine, the same as what we had yesterday. Holding the wine, he led us to a table. “Colin, do you feel dangerous?”

“Why?”

“I’m going to ask our waiter to bring us the food the people eat and not what the tourists eat.” I knew it would be better than tourist food, and it would be authentic food for this region of Italy. Looking at him, he smiled and nodded yes.

When our waiter came back, I told him we did not want the typical tourist food, but we wanted the food of this region, and I said all of that in Italian. The waiter smiled as he left to get our food.

“What did you tell him?”

“I told him we wanted something that the people eat, not what the tourists order. This will be an authentic Italian lunch.” He smiled,

The waiter brought us a small bowl of soup. The aroma was enticing, but I had this before, it was tripe in a spicy tomato soup. Colin looked at it, then me.

I took a spoon full of the broth, “Open up,’ he did, and I fed him a spoon full of soup. He smiled and ate the soup.

“What was in the soup?” I told him what I didn’t tell him what tripe was.

Our waiter brought a plate with several items, and there was gnocchi with a rosemary sauce over them, a tomato stuffed with rice and veal scallops.

“Do you know how to make this?” He was holding a gnocchi on his fork.

“I’m sure our chef at the club could make them.” I knew there would be some new dishes on our menu when we finished this tour.

For dessert we had ciambellle al vino. Before he could say anything, “We will ask the chef.”

I had a feeling that there would be quite a few new foods on our club menu.

We finished our meal and headed back to the Forum. There were still some sights that needed to be visited. He was having a good time, he would check the book, look for the site, and if there were any markers or remnants of the building, he would look at each, touching them.

It was close to six in the evening when he was ready to leave. “Armand, the book said there are three arches intact. I’ve seen two; where is the third?”

I started to laugh. The third arch we had walked under twice and about to walk under it again. Approaching the road to the Colosseum, I pointed to the third arch.

He stopped and looked. I could see the confusion on his face. “How did I miss that?”

“Yesterday, when we passed through, you talked about the Colosseum and going back after lunch. You were in a hurry to get back so we could see the cells below the floor of the Colosseum. Today, when we came here, you were too excited to notice, and you were almost running.”

“This is an amazing arch. Do you think we should have a stone arch over the club’s front door?”

“That is a possibility. We can check on that when we go home. Do you know which arch you will want? You have seen these three. Pick one and take a photo from several viewpoints.” I was glad he didn’t want me to paint one at the entrance.

I think he read my mind, “Armand, could we paint an arch over the entrance to the club?”

“I thought you wanted a stone arch?”

“The stone arch on the outside entrance and a painted one on the inside door to the club”

“Let’s talk about that when we get home. Make a note, so you don’t forget.”

His smile and a kiss on my cheek guaranteed he would get his painted arch.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 32
  • Love 27
  • Haha 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

So much overtime ... still playing catch up, finally have two days off. Still loving my boys, but miss being able to have my daily dose.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 4/8/2022 at 2:14 PM, Anton_Cloche said:

Just a quick note to all you wondering when Armand & Colin will return in new chapters of ARROW.

I spoke with @CLJobe today (Friday 8 April ) and he has been having some 'issues' with his Apple laptop.

While it has survived a number of moves over the last few years, as we all know, sometimes computers can just be a problem. CL's trying to find a GEEK who is familiar with 2005-era MacBookPro AND can do 'in-home' visit to make repairs 'on-site'. 

CL says he has new chapters ready to post, once laptop cooperates.

Tony B ( aka Anton) 

 

 

Oh wow, wasn't the 2005 the model that had the logic board issue becoming disconnected and literally, would have to take the board out and bake it in at 175C/350F oven for 7-8 minutes to get everything soldered back? I think that's the model I have and literally no one will work on them because they soon break afterwards again. Tony, if you talk to Cal, you might mention this to him. They recommend to me to back everything up immediately after it got running again and restore it to a new system. Sure enough, just as promised, I followed their instructions and within a week it was DOA again. Lasted 14 years so definitely not complaining ... and the new one is nice! :) 

  • Like 5
Link to comment

The club will need a huge kitchen to fill orders for all the foods Collin wants to serve there.  The arch and paintings will also need more space.  They may need the second floor for the club, third for their apartment and build a studio on the rooftop.  (Next to the pool?)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..