Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,523 Words
  • 1,418 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 103. Chapter 103

I went about with a smile on my face. James wanted to know why, I told him I have a secret and one of these days I’d tell him. We took the boys shopping, new suits for our trip, Ivan was surprised that I included him in our trip. I had spoken to his grandfather who indicated that he would like to go home while we were away on our trip. I spoke to Colin about it, he said he would arrange for papers giving us custody of Ivan while his grandfather was away. When Colin showed me the papers, Ivan’s grandfather signed papers that made us guardians of Ivan if anything should happen to him.

When I took these papers to the judge, he wanted to know why just guardians. I explained he lived with his grandfather and although we asked for custody while he was away since he would be with us in Europe, the grandfather indicted he was getting old and maybe this would be better in the long run.

It was the middle of January, when Ivan’s grandfather left to go and visit friends and relatives in Bosnia. Colin had arranged everything for him, plane fare with a return ticket, helped him make contact with a relative in Bosnia, Colin said after he talked with his relative he had tears in his eyes.

We all went to see him off. I had tears in my eyes as Ivan said goodbye to his grandfather. GG whispered, “His grandfather will not be returning. Be prepared.” Now as I looked at them saying goodbye, I had tears in my eyes. Colin looked at me and I quickly turned away.

On the way home, “Let’s take a detour.”

We drove to the site of the new orphanage. This would be the first time the boys saw it. As we approached the gate, I got out to open it, Colin drove through, stopped and I got in. Driving to the barn, there was my carpenter friend.

“Charles, show Armand how far long you are.”

I knew he had to be further than I would expect for him to say that. Walking behind some tall fir trees, there was the building. The house was framed in overall, you could see what the first floor would look like with partitions in place.The second and third floor only had main flooring support beams. The roof was framed in and you could see where a large window would be.

Being the first time the boys have seen it, “Dad, is this going to be the new orphanage.”

“Yes, and when we are back from our trip, they will be able to move in.”

“Is it a secret?”

“Yes Donnie, we don’t want those people who want the current orphanage to know about this. Let this be our secret okay.”

I knew that before we left for our holiday, they would have to tell someone . It is hard to keep a secret when you are 11 and 12.

That evening on the roof, I told Colin about Ivan’s dad not returning. I didn’t have to tell him how I knew, he knew.

With the boys back in school, Christmas over, I focused on our trip.

Visiting the orphanage, the mantel was still in place, Santa’s mailbox was still there, and the stockings were still hung. It was as if they were still waiting for Santa.

James’s best friend, Larry was having a problem. He was a senior and would be graduating this spring, That wasn’t the problem, 4 weeks before graduating he would be turning 18.

“Colin, if the orphanage moves into the new building, what happens if a kid turns 18. Now they must leave the orphanage?”

“It’s your orphanage, you make the decision.”

“It’s not my orphanage.”

“Okay, it’s our orphanage. They will be outside City limits, City rules don’t apply. What do you want to do?”

“I would like for them to stay there until they learn a trade, or go to college. They will need to support themselves. If they stay at the home, they can concentrate on working to be independent. We need to do one more thing, find out why there are no girls there over 12 years old. I think the oldest girl there is 10.”

“Ask Mom to look into that.”

“I will, I have two paintings to deliver to the gallery.”

The next morning after the boys left for school, James stopped me. “Brother, my friend Larry is concerned about turning 18. Can you help him like you did for me.”

“You were 17 when we helped you, but if Larry is willing to work, he can help you in the kitchen. You may have to share your bed with him.” Laughing I left for the gallery.

Once every two weeks I went to check on the new orphanage. I thought about that name, I hated it. I don’t know why but it seemed to be a stigma assigned to the kids that lived there. I needed to come up with a new name.

Arriving at the gallery, I took the paintings into the office. “Mom, here are two more paintings for the gallery. I need to see how many more I need to finish before we go on vacation.”

Taking the two paintings to my wall, that is what I called where my paintings were hung, I noticed quite a few were sold. “Mom, where is the angel?” That is the one that I painted with the unwanted baby.

“It was sold. There were two buyers, one in England and one in France. I had them to bid on it, highest bidder bought it.”

I didn’t ask who, I didn’t want to know. I was glad it was gone. Before it was sold, I hated to walk to this section. It haunted me and now it is gone, I’m free from it.

Mom helped me hanging the two paintings. “You should do more like this. It’s soothing and relaxing, when you look at it, it as you could feel the soft breeze and smell the flowers.”

It was a painting of our roof hideaway, Colin called it our personal hideaway.

My life, our life settled down. I made my bi-monthly checks on the construction, Colin took Pat to show her, and I saw her smiling again.

Ivan was getting letters from Bosnia and was answering them. It was middle of March when he received a letter from some relative in Bosnia. I asked him if he knew the man who sent it. He said he didn’t.

Before he had a chance to open it, GG said to hold him. I knew what the letter said.

“Let’s go to the roof, you can read your letter there. Maybe we can convince your brothers to bring us a surprise.” I looked at Richie, Ronny and Tommy, my look carries a lot of meaning. They knew there was something going to happen and we needed privacy. As soon as they were gone, Ivan opened the letter. As he read, the tears started. I knew what the letter said, I had been expecting it. I pulled his head into my chest, rocking back and forth.

“Why didn’t he tell me?”

“Sometimes it is hard to tell someone you love that you are saying goodbye. He made sure you would be taken care of and loved. Although you are my sons friends, we have treated you as one of Pop’s and my sons. When I look at you I see the fourth son. You will live with us, you are Pop’s and my son. We will take care of you, and so will your brothers. There they are with an ice cream soda for you and a coffee for me.”

Tommy, the sensitive one, “Dad, what happened?”

“Ivan’s grandfather has passed away. He will live with us as your brother.”

They put down their sodas, and we had a five person hug. Looking at the boys, their eyes were moist as well. Richie understood.

We sat there for thirty minutes, not saying anything. The boys sipped their sodas, I held Ivan’s and I would prod his lips until he opened them and took a sip. My coffee was getting cold, I didn’t care.

That was the way Colin found us.

Sitting next to me, “What happened?” I nodded to the letter. He opened it and read it. “You knew this.” I nodded, “GG” I nodded again.

Colin picked up Ivan from my lap. “You spent enough time with Dad, now it’s my turn.” Holding Ivan seemed to cement my conversation concerning living with us. He looked at me, then Colin and then the boys. Ronny yelled, “Group hug” that put a smile on Ivan’s face. I looked at Colin, he mouthed football.

It took a while for Ivan to accept his grandfather’s death and his new relationship with us. I knew that GG was going to him and I knew when she brought his grandfather to him. It was like night and day. Colin looked puzzled until I said GG.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 16
  • Love 31
  • Sad 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I hope they ask Ivan if he wants to be adopted and he tells them yes. I know the Judge would rush it through!

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Ivan is a sad young boy, but he now has a very loving family to help him.  His grandfather was able to say goodbye to his friends and family in the old country.  With GG's help, he was able to say one last good by to Ivan.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..