Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 2,356 Words
  • 1,484 Views
  • 22 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 130. Arrow 130

We rested Sunday, actually we were kind force into it. The people Alesander hired did not work on Sunday. Actually that was a great break for us as well. Some of the crew from the States, went to the Sagrada del Familia others just took an opportunity to enjoy the pool.

Lunch was at Colin’s favorite Tapa place and I knew where we would have dinner. I was right, Marko’s and paella was on the menu.

That evening, we had drinks at the pool and we turned in early. Monday was a work day.

Geno was back working on his trench. The concrete had set enough, he began placing the concrete blocks. The men working on the wharf, put their attention on tieing in the wharf to Geno’s walk. Geno worked the rest of week on his walk. He even made a sign, Geno’s Walk. He made it in Italian, English and Spanish. The crew patted him on the back.

Next project for Geno was working with Charles’s boys one the basement. Geno had some knowledge of English and so his interactions with Charlie’s boys went well. On occasion he would ask Colin or I and we would translate for him.

The basement originally had a concrete base, over the years with flooding there was about a foot of dirt. This was removed and a concrete floor was uncovered. The plan was to put pipe in the floor to direct any water to a sump pump. Since the floor was concrete, they decided to cut trough’s in the floor directing the water to a sump pump. When this was done, they assess the floor supporting beams. The wooden support beams where rotting where they rested on the concrete.

They created steel support beams, utilizing steel deck supports to support the beam. With these installed, they rebuilt the first floor. Looking at the wood they removed it was a wonder they hadn’t fallen through when they walked on it. Using the equipment layout for the kitchen area, the floor under the freezer and refrigerator needed to be reinforced, They built a concrete wall and using steel beams to span the walls, they placed a floor over the beams. On these floors, the freezer and refrigerator was installed.

The wall between the kitchen was modified to include a refrigerator show case. Under the stairs to the second floor, a bathroom was built.During this construction, they discovered the stairway needs to be replaced. Now they had to deal with the second floor, it would need to be replaced in 2-3 years. At first they were going to leave it but someone saw a few bugs, tuned out to be termites.The floor and the walls were removed, this lead to the ceiling and stairwell to the attic being removed. On Saturday night, the inside of the house was exterminated. They wouldn’t be able to return to the inside until Tuesday.

The time for Colin, Geno and Armand to leave was just around the corner. They had an early flight on Saturday and the Baptism was on Sunday. The project was far from finish. A new roof was installed and the exterior of the house was painted. The work now was inside. Before leaving, Colin made out a list for Alesander and a list for Charles’s men. He told them he would be back on Monday or Tuesday. When Geno heard that, he pointed to himself shaking his head yes. The only one not coming back was me.

 

Our flight back to Italy was very quiet. I believe Geno was thinking of his family. His first child baptism held a significant position in Geno’s life. I’m sure he believes that his life is blessed. I like Geno, he is a little on the rough side when compared to my other friends, but I like him. GG said he God’s man of the earth. Thinking about that, he is from the earth, a solid person to rely on and a man who loves deeply. A friend that would do everything he can to help you.

Geno was sitting across from me and Colin was next to me. “Why are you looking at me like that.”

“I was looking at my friend. I don’t have a lot of friends I can trust and feel comfortable with. I guess because I see more than a person or a child when I look at them, I see a painting. But with you, I think I see the man you are, a friend.” Geno is bashful when I talk to him like that. If he had lighter skin you would see him blush. Geno, is a typical Italian, loves to laugh, love their wine and woman. At least that is what I see. The bump of the plane landing brought me back to real time, we had landed.

 

Leaving the plane we had to get Geno’s and Colin’s luggage. I had a carry on. They walked as if there was a fire behind them, it wa obvious that Geno wanted to get home as fast as possible. “Geno is in a hurry.”

“I would be as well if I lived here and had you waiting for me.”

I leaned over as it to whisper in his ear and kissed his check instead. He quickly looked around to see if anyone saw, an old lady smiled at him.

“Let’s go.” Geno had his and Colin’s luggage.

Leaving the airport, our car was waiting, Colin and I sat in the back, Geno sat up front and was telling the driver about the fish he caught. One look at the driver and you knew he didn’t believe Geno. I felt a poke to my side, I knew what he wanted. I took out my camera and showed Geno the photo of him with the fish. I knew this photo is going to be shown a lot when he get’s home. When the driver stopped for to make a turn, Geno showed him the photo, the driver looked and then he had to move, Geno told him he can take a better look when we got to the village.

Pulling into the village, there was a welcoming group led by our sons. I no sooner got the door open, when Colin and I were surrounded by the boys. I knew I would never do this again. I missed the boys, but these boys, with tears in their eyes, couldn’t let us alone. Colin and I sat down on a bench in the plaza, the boys sat on our laps. “We missed you.”

“Pop and I missed you also.”

Later that evening when it was just Colin and I, he wanted to know why the boys acted like they did. “You have to remember that they each have lost someone. They were afraid we weren’t coming back. This is the longest time you have been away from them.”

“Yes, but you were back. They acted the same toward you as they did with me.”

“I also went back to Barcelona and stayed there for several weeks while we worked on the house and Alesander’s project. You don’t know the feelings these boys have. There are times when I look at them, they are here in their person but their mind is somewhere else. Watch them, and you will see a tear in their eyes now and then. The roof at the club is special to them because we are there, they interact with us in a way that reminds them that we love them.”

Colin looked at the boys, then one by one, he grabbed them, hugged them and whispered something to them.

Then Geno came over to us with Angelina. She was a cute baby. When the boys saw them, they came over to see the baby. I watched them. They smiled as they called her name. Angela came with a bottle, and now the boys gained up on Geno. I felt sorry for Geno and especially as the boy’s friends joined him. I was more than convinced Geno was a happy giant. He would chase them and if he caught a small boy, he tossed them in the air and caught them.

Angela told us about the baptism which will occur tomorrow morning. She explained what would happen as the baptism will be a part of Sunday services. I have never been to a baptism but Colin had.

Colin and I were going to stay at the Hostel with the boys. Later that evening after Nonna’s dinner, we chatted about the remainder of our trip. Our parents told us about their trips to Rome and Pompey, that led to the boys telling us what they liked. Again the boys made references to our wall.

I thought about that, I need to paint the boys on the wall. Something that will remind them of this vacation. What to paint I’ll have to think about it.

That evening, the boys decided to put the mays on the floor. Now we were back in Barcelona’s hotel. The boys slept with us. I hadn’t taken into account how much the boys missed us. I knew they missed Colin, but they missed both of us.

In the morning, we had a light breakfast at the Hostel. Our mom’s cooked breakfast, with the help of the young man who lived at the Hostel.

After breakfast, the village boys came to get our boys. They were going to Church. Today will be the baptism.

Colin and I dressed for church, joined by our patents, we headed to Carmella’s house. I knew we would have to eat something and have a coffee before heading to church.

As soon as we entered her house, “Sit down, I’ll fix you breakfast.”

“Nonna, we have already eaten.”

Didn’t matter, we had coffee with a special cookie she made for the Christening. She even gave the boys a cup of coffee, mostly milk. While we were eating, Geno arrived.

“Angela wanted me to check and see if you were ready.”

I got up, offered my hand to shake, and when he grabbed it, I pulled him into a hug. That hug was joined by Colin and then the boys. If Geno hadn’t felt like family before, he did now.

When it was time to go to church, Angela showed up at Nonna’s with Angelina dressed in a white long dress. She looked so cute, the boys made a big fuss over her.

Joining the others from the village, we walked to the church. The boys walked beside us as their friends walked wit their parents. The baptism would be a part of the service.

When it was time, the priest made the announcement. Colin and I joined Geno and Angela at the front with Angelina. Standing in front of the font, with Angela and Geno on our side, the priest began the service. The boys had joined us, which I didn’t realize until they slowly edged in front of us. I thought Angelina is going to have six godparents.

When the Priest finished the baptism, instead of handing the baby back to Angela, he held the baby so the boys could see. Tommy, kissed her head and then the other boys followed. The priest smiled, handing the baby to Angela, he turned and placing his hand on the boys’s head, blessed them as well.

I watched the boys, this final act by the priest played a significant part of the baptism for the boys. What experience they had with any church was unknown to Colin and I. Later that evening, I told Colin we needed to understand what experiences the boys had with any religious group. I thought I was sure Richie had gone to church, but not sure about the others.

After church, the festivities were held in the plaza. Carmella brought out her coffee pot and that signal those neighbors to bring out their coffee. Geno brought several bottles of wine and of a liquor called Grappa. Geno said it was best in coffee but I noticed him and

His friends drinking it straight. I tried it, a sip and the rest into my coffee. Between Marie and Nonna I didn’t need to worry about the boys.

After lunch, Told the boys to go and change their clothes.

They took off with a few friends only to return an hour later.

“What took you so long?”

“We helped to milk the goats.”

I told Colin, be ready for geese and goats when we get home.

What I didn’t know, the boys invited their friends to visit us in the States.

We stayed a week longer than planned.

The evenings we spent in the plaza chatting with friends. Marie started to pick up some Italian. Her French friend was helping her. As the week came closer and closer to when we would leave, I was sorry to go. These people had become family to me and now I had a new tie, Angelina.

We had 6 days left, when the boys asked me a question that caused me to rethink about leaving. Colin had been in contact with Charley’s boys in Barcelona and they were on schedule, that meant we would all be leaving the same time .

“Dad, this is my friend Pepe. Can he come home with us for a visit?”

“We would need his parents approval and he will need a passport. That will take time.”

Carmella heard us, “I can get a passport in 5-6 days.”

One look at Tommy and I agreed. Now you can predict what happened. Within 5 hours, I now had 8 boys and one young lady joining us.

I looked at Carmella, she just smiled.

The next morning 9 young people joined Carmella on a trip to Rome. I hadn’t realized our parents gave Carmella money to cover the expense of

of photos and passports.

When she returned, she gave me a copy of the photos and receipts of the cost of the passports. Colin said it was bound to happen, no problems

hopefully this catches us up
Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 25
  • Love 25
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

21 hours ago, drsawzall said:

Everyone will need a vacation from their vacation!!!!

As always, we spend a lot of time enjoying vacation, we need a rest coming home

  • Like 5
Link to comment
20 hours ago, JohnnyC said:

I had to do that once , It helped immensely 😵💫

yes, and you promised to take it slowly next year. Never happened

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
18 hours ago, pickuptoy said:

Well I am now finally caught up. I have read all of CLJobe's stories except Timothy. I am not going to start a story that is temporarily on hold. But all the others are covered. This really is terrific story. I can hardly wait for more. 

CL your stories have gotten better the more you write. Keep you your great storytelling, you have some wonderful stories.

Yhanks. I'll try and do my best.

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Where are they going to put all the extra kids.  When you said 8 boys were you including Ronnie, Tommy and Richie, or are these new boys?  Since they needed their parents permission, I'll assume they are temporary additions to the family. I think GG needs to take a vacation. The boys need some time to catch up on the projects.  I am beginning to loose track of how many projects are in production and how many are already planned.

Edited by raven1
  • Like 3
Link to comment

I have to say that is the fastest gestation period I have ever heard of!  Angela was just pregnant and starting to show when they arrived.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..