Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 977 Words
  • 1,443 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 91. Chapter 91

I heard the boys heading for the bathroom, I went to waken Colin, he wasn’t there. Then I heard him asking the boys in they wanted milk like last night or a cup of Ovaltine. Unanimously, “Milk like last night.”

That got me up. When the boys are in school, I paint and so far I’m managing to reduce my backlog. According to Mom, my sales has increased since the art critic friends of the professor were here. I had two paintings I had finished I would deliver to the gallery when I go to pickup the boys.

Colin had taken the car this morning, he had a stop to make. James used his car for lunch delivery and errands Marcel wanted as well as shopping. I needed a car, I finally agreed with Colin, we are a two car family.

James took the paintings with him when he went to pick up the boys. “James, have Mum call me when you deliver the paintings.”

“Okay, brother.” He has been saying that more and more lately. I wondered what changed. He has changed, I never noticed it before. People don’t wake up changed, it is a gradual process until one realizes something is different. In James, he has accepted us as a true brother, a new experience for him, as well for Colin and I.

Mom, did call. I told her I would see her tomorrow and I’ll tell her the price of the new paintings. I wanted to rearrange the paintings in my hall and review pricing.

James brought the boys back, you heard them before seeing them.

“Dad, look.” They had their first report cards. I didn’t realize 6 weeks have passed so quickly.

Sitting around the table, I had to look at each report card. The boys had all pluses except Ronald. He had one minus. I thought what ever happened to A’s, B’s and C’s. “Ronald, why the minus.”

He knew I was serious when I called him by his name. “Dad, it isn’t his fault. There were two kids picking on Ivan. We told them to stop, they didn’t so Ronnie hit them. The teacher saw Ronnie hitting them. We tried to tell her why, she wouldn’t listen.”

“Who is Ivan?”

“Do you remember that boy who didn’t have a lunch? You gave him one and now we give him one also.”

I remember that child. He had tears in his eyes when I handed him his lunch. Now I had a problem. I don’t condone fighting, but thinking what I would do, I would have hit those boys as well. I thought Ronnie, the protector. I knew the boys will want halloween customs. I knew what to get Ronnie.

I signed the boys cards, “You need to show these to Pop when he comes home. I’m proud of you, good grades and Ronnie, I would have done the same.” Smiles and hugs all around. Clothes changed, they headed to the club kitchen for a snack.

When Colin arrived home, the boys showed him their report cards. Colin asked Ronny what happened. The boys told him what they told me. Colin looked at Ronny, “Let me show you something.” He pulled up the sleeve on his shirt and made a muscle. He had the boys feel it. Then he had the boys copy him, he felt their muscle. He declared Ronny the winner. I wasn’t sure that was a good idea, until Ronny said, “I’m the defender of the weak.” The boys laughed patting Ronnie on the back.

I looked at Colin, he mouthed, ‘Comic Book’

Somehow, three boys, different background, shared experience has welded them together in a brotherhood tighter than natural brothers. I could feel GG smiling.

“When is Carmella arriving?” That perked the boys up.

“I believe she is arriving the middle of October, I have her schedule upstairs.”

“Is she staying until Christmas?”

“No, I think she wants to go home after Thanksgiving.”

“You know something you aren’t telling me.”

“No, I only know what she has written. You read her letter.”

“My Italian is not as good as yours.”

“She said she has some photos to show us and a cook book for Marcel. She plans on being here for 6 weeks and then return home for the Christmas holiday.” What I didn’t tell Colin, she is planning on taking Tony and Marie back to Italy with her. I wasn’t sure if she would be successful, so I thought it would be better not say anything. I’ll tell Colin when we are alone on the roof. Their son, Bobby, still works for us on Sundays. I didn’t want him to hear about Carmella’s plans for his family going back to Italy.

That night I told Colin about the fight at school. “This child actually cried when I gave him one of the lunches I had left over. I held him, he was shaking. I gave him the extra lunches to take home.”

“Where does he live? He isn’t homeless is he?”

“I don’t know. Let me ask James to follow him after school and see where he goes.”

That evening, I let Colin read the letter from Carmella, I translated sections he had a hard time translating.

“So the hostel is finished and she has the photos?”

“Yes, she hopes he will go back with her to see for himself.”

“What if he decides to stay there? What is he going to do with his restaurant? And Bobby, is he going to stay here or go and live there? There are a lot of questions and no answers.”

“It’ll depend on Tony and Marie if they go and what they see.”

“More questions and answers.”

“Yes, but that is why Carmella is staying so long.”

“The boys will like that. We’ll hear ‘Nonna’ again.”

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 24
  • Love 28
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I am glad Armand is creating more paintings. This will fulfill an important need in his psyche, I bet. He is an artist and artists need to create.

The boys have done well the first grading period. Ronnie is the defender of the weak and has stood up to a bully. Armand is going into his social worker mode and try to help the bully change his spots.

Carmella is coming and will stay through Thanksgiving. She is going to try to get Tony and his wife ( and son?) to return to Italy. Who knows if she will succeed. More information will be needed--Is Tony unhappy here. Is he able to make a living moving back? What does his family think ....etc.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Tony won’t move.

Wasn’t the houve in Italy for sale? Did Armand and Collin buy it ?

In the  other hand, he May be persuaded to move back there and run the hostel.🤔

Edited by Tonyr
  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
21 hours ago, scrubber6620 said:

I am glad Armand is creating more paintings. This will fulfill an important need in his psyche, I bet. He is an artist and artists need to create.

The boys have done well the first grading period. Ronnie is the defender of the weak and has stood up to a bully. Armand is going into his social worker mode and try to help the bully change his spots.

Carmella is coming and will stay through Thanksgiving. She is going to try to get Tony and his wife ( and son?) to return to Italy. Who knows if she will succeed. More information will be needed--Is Tony unhappy here. Is he able to make a living moving back? What does his family think ....etc.

Tony will have to make a big decision. He left the village angry, will he go back angry?

  • Wow 3
  • Fingers Crossed 2
Link to comment
6 hours ago, Tonyr said:

Tony won’t move.

Wasn’t the houve in Italy for sale? Did Armand and Collin buy it ?

In the  other hand, he May be persuaded to move back there and run the hostel.🤔

The house in Italy was occupied by a woman who was in poor health. Armand and Colin, bought it, the villagers renovated it. I'm not sure what is going to happen if Tony decided to move or if he doesn't.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 9/17/2022 at 12:13 PM, weinerdog said:

What happened to Ronnie is so typical a when a bully terrorizes other students teachers never see it but when someone stand up to a bully THEN a teacher notices and the person doing the standing up gets in trouble. This seems to happen too often for it to be a coincidence. 

 

 

 

With all due respect (and with allowances because the teachers at this school seem to be idiots), it is very difficult to keep an eye on a couple dozen kids at the same moment. Lunchtime is even worse, because the 2-3 teachers with the dreaded ‘Lunch Duty’ usually have over 100 kids to keep under control!  On top of this, bullies are notoriously sneaky and know how to get away with their nefarious deeds while getting others in trouble when they try to protect or defend the bullied person. All is not lost however.  It only takes a couple of times to have kids pointing out that so-and-so is the guilty party and, even if that person cannot be legitimately punished at that time, the teachers then have that person on their radar and start watching much closer.  Sooner or later, that bully WILL be caught!

  • Love 5
Link to comment
On 9/18/2022 at 1:40 PM, CLJobe said:

You never know how the mind of an Italian works. I could never figure out my family

LOL Sicilian/ English Father & Sephardic Jewish / Filipino Mother Here , I Was Subjected To Double / Triple Guilt Trips From My Parents 😳🙄😵💫

  • Like 1
  • Wow 1
Link to comment

I still have a difficult time believing how idiotic the teachers are at the school!  I'd be suing the school district for way idiots in administration and on the school board hire teachers!  It's obvious that the school board hires the dregs of teachers who can't work anywhere else.  The board seems to be biased in favor of the most incompetent and cruel fools they can hire.  I'd get the kids registered at a different school or open my own.  Connecticut is highly recognized in the education community as a leader in education.  How they can allow a mockery like this school to exist is beyond me.  GG!  Some help here, pretty please!

Edited by raven1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..