Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,601 Words
  • 1,516 Views
  • 15 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 42. Chapter 42

For the next several days, Mary took charge of the carpet and restaurant supply Managers. The did make a trip, Mary had the restaurant manager sketch out a proposed layout. On Wednesday, David showed up to begin the layout for the Spanish Steps.

“Armand, could I bring someone to help? This is going to take several weeks. We’ll need to put down a base coat, and then sketch out the steps before we start painting the steps. As for those wall paintings, we will need some help.”

“Bring your friend the next time you are here. I’ll interview him and if I think he can do the job, I’ll agree to him helping you.”

I knew I may have to help with the church and plaza, although there is a slight chance I’ll just have to supervise.

Friday, the electrician was finished with the ceiling and lights in the cloak room and bathrooms. I noticed as he worked his son’s eyes were everywhere. I expected his comment when he was finished. “Armand, we would like to see the finish product. When are you expecting to open?”

“The exact date hasn’t been determined but I’ll let you know and you and your son will be invited to the special opening for those who helped to renovate this club.”

Marcel and Jimmy returned and as I suspected they had a list for the kitchen and the bar. Jimmy needed wine coolers for the white wine and a cabinet for the red wines. I turned him over to Mary. Marcel had a list if auxiliary equipment which I considered reasonable so I told him to order it. He had a list of meat for the freezer, I reminded him to discuss with Colin the menu’s before ordering any meat or produce.

The woman from the garden shop showed up and proceeded to complete the flower boxes on the roof.

The carpenter brought a board with a plaster finish as an example of the frame for my arch into the club room. “How thick could you make this?”

“Without support, maybe 1/4 inch. I just have nails holding the plaster to the wood now.”

“Do you think instead of plaster, could you use cement?”

“You’ll have the same problem.”

“Suppose you use 3/4 inch wood, add screws 1/2 inch into the wood and add cement to the last 1/4 inch.”

“I would suggest you use 1 and 3/4 inch wood and 3/4 inches of cement.”

“Okay, let’s try that.”

“I’ll have a sample for you in three days.”

The plaster showed up and finished the ceiling. I had David paint the sky with my paint. He did bring over his friend with his girlfriend and they were making progress on the Spanish Steps. In the evening, while Colin worked on applications and rules for the club, I painted wolves in the clock room. I painted ‘Cave’ over the the clock room. I had the electrician wire small bulbs where the eyes of the wolves would be.

When the ceiling was finished, lights installed, ceiling painted, I was ready for the carpet. I did get the painter to put several coats of lacquer on the dance floor. Mary contacted the carpet store manager and they had the carpet laid in 10 hours. Mary had them vacuum the carpet when they were down. With the carpet down, Jimmy had a refrigerator installed under the bar for beer and soda. Colin and I decided we wouldn’t served mix drinks, initially.

Saturday, Colin and I worked on the paperwork. I thought a booklet highlighting activities, menu’s and drinks, with prices. We needed Marcel and Jimmy’s input on that.

The wall behind the staircase to the second floor was done. They are now working on the Plaza for the wall at the first landing. I had the girl paint the door to the roof. Colin was pleased with everything so far.

“Colin wants a stone arch on the street leading into the club. I don’t think he has the time to do this. If you can pull together companies that have stone masons maybe we can interview them.”

Mary took that project without a comment. The carpet was done, she had lined up the manager at restaurant supply store to bring in three different types of tables. She knew what we wanted, so I left her that project to finish.

Sunday dinner at Mary and John’s, we discussed what needed to be done. Colin said he would make out a todo list. 1. Entrance Arch, 2. Arch to club hall, 3. Mural, 4. Complete Spanish Steps, 5. Music, piano player and band, 6. piano, 7. Menus printed, 8. Bar prices, 9. Board members, 10. membership cards, 11. membership rules and 12. organize office.

Even with this list I knew there would be something missing.

Looking over the list, “We forgot staff. With Jimmy working the bar, Marcel will need help in the kitchen, a cook and dishwasher. We’ll need waiters and bussers.” He had to explain to his dad what a ‘busser’ was.

Mary suggested we prioritize the list. I agreed, “Colin can do that. He tells me he has time at work.” We laughed. John said he needs to keep a closer eye on him.

I felt the number one priority are the arches, going into the building and into the club room. While those were being worked on, Mary was going to finish the tables, table cloths and candles. “Mary, we need to contact a firm for laundry.”

“We can get Jimmy to take an inventory of glasses, dishes, cups and silver ware.”

Colin asked what could he do, I told him he could keep me happy. “I thought I did.”

Monday, my painters showed up to work on the stairs. I made a few suggestions but they were doing okay. I asked Colin if should put glass over the paintings on the walls on the stairs and the landings. He asked if there was a way to coat the stairs and wall rather than cover them with glass. I told him I would have to think about it.

Mary had the names of three laundry companies that would pick up and deliver. She visited each one and decided the one closest to the club would be best. They would give us laundry hampers for the dirty table cloths and uniforms.

Mary, we are going to need a place to store clean table clothes.

She came back with a buffet that had two drawers that would hold at least two changes of table cloths per table. Mary arranged for an arrangement of fresh flowers for the top of the buffet.

Six weeks later, we had a piano for the band platform, the club room was finished. I had finished the arch going into the club room. The mason working on the entrance said it would take another 4 weeks to finish. Theoretical, we could open, we were lagging the paper work. Colin pulled together his Board, his first member was Paul, his college friend. He had two other friends from the club, John and Andy. I remembered them when I first came to the club.

“Armand, do you think we should have a girl on the Board?”

“Wouldn’t hurt. You have female members, so why not. Who would you choose?”

“Paul’s girlfriend could be one.”

“Is she close to any girls? You know who we shouldn’t have.”

He laughed.”There is the daughter of the assistance manager at work.”

“Talk to her and see if she is willing.”

That would give us a Board of seven.

I finished the Arch to the club room and started the mural. I put down a primary coat on the wall. When that dried, I knew it would take several coats.

With everything finished except the mural, we had a party for all of the workers who helped. Jimmy was at the bar, he had a few bottles of liquor as this was an older crowd. Marcel hadn’t hired the waiters but he had some of his friends walking around with hor d’ourves.

Mary had found a small quartet that played dance music, age appropriate. As Colin and I walked around, thanking the men who worked on the club and charming their significant other. That was what Colin said because I was speaking with my French accent.

The next few days we met with the Board. We needed their approval of rules, initial membership fees and monthly billings with appropriate penalties.

“Armand, how long will it take to finish your mural.”

“It will be your Christmas Present. Why?”

“I would like to open the club.”

“Come with me.” I took his hand and led him to the roof. This will be the first time he has been on the roof since we left for Europe.

“Close you eyes.” I led him to the center, “Open your eyes.”

He would look at me and then the roof, he did this several times. “When?”

“It has been finished for several weeks. I didn’t want you to see it until we were ready to open the clubs.” Then I showed him a sign I had painted. It had his face over the name, ‘Colin’s Garden.’

I don’t think I could have got him a better gift. His smile had to be hurting.

That night, he fully paid for his gift, a few times. GG came in my dream, you have chosen wisely and you will come to know how wisely in the future. He will give you a gift that is beyond your imagination.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 24
  • Love 32
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 6/5/2022 at 5:03 AM, Paqman said:

I think autocorrect struck a couple of time. Clock room (cloakroom , unless that really is a room of or for clocks,🤔), and assistance manager rather than assistant manager.

I hate autocorrect, it catches me all of the time. Even if I watch it, it slips in. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment

For my weekly reservation, I want a table where I can watch the progress of Armand's masterpiece as it is created.  Looking forward to the opening.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..