Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,524 Words
  • 1,815 Views
  • 20 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 37. Chapter 37

We fell in line with the rest of the tour group. We continued to walk along the Via Dell’ Abbondanza heading toward the intersection of the Via di Stabia. Continuing to visit homes along the way. The home of Quintus Poppeus who was related to the second wife of Nero. The house was unfinished and quite large. The next house was named the House of the Cithara player. The house was owned by Lucius Popidius Secundus who was a member of Nero’s retinue.

“If this house was owned by Secundus, why call it the house of the cithara player?”

“When these houses were excavated, they were named based on what they found. This house has a bronze statue of Apollo playing the cithara. Later as more information was found, they knew who owned the house.”

As we approached the intersection of Via dell’Abbondanza and Via di Stabia, our guide mentioned that this intersection was the nerve center of the town. Walking under the remains of the four faced Holoconius Arch, our guide led us to the Stabian Baths.

“These Bathes were quite elaborate but many of the statues and other ormentations were stolen between the time of the end of volcanic eruption and when excavation of the site began.”

“Where these baths for men and women?”

“Yes, each sex had their own rooms for undressing and socializing. There was a swimming pool and a gymnasium.”

Leaving this structure, I knew where our guide was heading. Pompeii was a city visited by people from the area. I waited as our guide led us to one building.

“Pompeii was a city visited by many people. The city provided activities for the visitors, there were lodging houses and numerous refreshment stands. This building was a bakery.” One could see the storage vessels for grain, a grinder and several clay pots. Our guide pointed out the ovens. I thought those stone ovens would produce a crusty, good tasting bread. I waited for the next business to be shown, she walked pass it.

“Colin, follow me. We can catch up.” I led Colin to a brothel. “They uncovered over 30 places like this. Some were one room and others were quite elaborate. This building was quite elaborate as you can see with painting on that far wall.”

“Do you think there were male prostitutes?”

“Probably. I do know that in early Rome the houses of prostitution had both female and male workers. I see no reason why not here.” Looking at some of the paintings on the walls that we were able to see from the front of the house, there would be no question what was the business of this house. Walking away, we saw the group heading to the theatre district.

This district was developed on high ground. The influence of the Hellenistic period was evident. “This looks like the photos I have seen of Greek theaters.”

“I’m sure that the builders were influenced by that. Did you notice that there was a section dedicate to Isis and Jupiter?”

“No, but from the drawing posted, there seems to be two main buildings, the Triangular Forum and theater area. What was the purpose of the triangular area?”

“Originally the Forum area was built first. It was a form of sanctuary separated from the town. Did you notice it was built on high ground?”

“Yes, we walked up a slight hill. Why attach a theater to it?”

“The theater was added later along with a shrine to Isis and Jupiter. My guess the Forum was the deciding issue to where the theater would be built.”

“Looking at the Odeon there is no question that the design was copied from the Greeks. The one difference is that this structure contained an orchestra pit. I think I have seen something like this back home.”

“Outdoor amphitheaters.” “Yes”

“There is a diagram of the Temple of Isis. Is that her statue?”

“Yes”

Leaving the theater district we headed toward the Civil Forum. I checked the time and I knew the next time we are in Italy, we will spend more time in Pompeii. Tours are designed to give an overview.

“This is where the people came to sell their goods, conduct business, hear edicts, elect leaders, observe religious rites, and meet people they hadn’t seen. People came from outside of the city as well. They probably came here to sell their produce.”

“Did they have games like they did in Greece?”

“I believe a lot of the Greek culture remained after Rome conquered this land. The original inhabitants were Greek.”

I checked my watch, we didn’t have much time left. I think our guide saw me checking the time. According to my watch we had one hour left. I knew the bus would wait but I didn’t know how long it would wait. I decided there were a few sights I wanted Colin to see.

“Colin, follow me. At the northern end of this Forum is the Temple of Jupiter.”

Walking toward the Temple, Colin looked back.

“Armand, our guide is watching us.”

“She is probably wonder what we are up to.”

Standing in front of the remnants of the Temple. “Although this originally was dedicated to Jupiter, it was later modified to include Juno and Minerva. During the modification they built a new altar in front of the Temple. It was thought that was actually a pedestal for a statue of Augustus.”

Walking along the western wall, “If you have to use the bathroom, that is the building.”

I watched as Colin walked in. When he came out, “Did you use the bathroom?”

“No. There were just holes in a board. No way to flush or wipe.”

“Under the board, they would have a stream of water which would carry away any thing that has dropped.”

“What did they wipe with?”

“There would be a container of clean water to use to wash.”

We continued walking along the West wall until we came to the Basilica. Here we met up with the rest of our group. We listened as our tour leader told the group about the Basilica.

“The Basilica was the place were business transactions took place. The courts were located here which were responsible for the administration of justice.”

"In some ways this building was like a modern day court house." Colin just smiled.

We followed the group as they headed toward the Temple of Apollo. “Apollo was considered the main god until Sulla imposed the triumvirate which we saw earlier, the Capitoline Triad in 80 bc.”

The next temple would bring back memories for Colin. “Colin, do you remember the temple when we were in Barcelona?”

“The one with the huge columns?”

“Yes, the Temple that once existed here is the Temple of Fortuna Augusta. What makes this temple unique it was built by one man, Marcus Tulles. He built this Temple on his land and at his cost. His reward was being placed in an important position in Augusta’s organization. Somewhere on these stones are the names of five emperors, Augusta, Tiberius, Caligula, Claudius and Nero.”

“You know what I haven’t seen is a pubic bath. I thought every city the Romans occupied had a common area where people could bathe.”

I saw our group heading toward where the baths once existed. “Let’s join the group.”

Joining the group, we listened to the guide tell us about the bath. “Even though many homes had a bath as part of their house, this building was a public bath. There was a section for women and a separate section for men. Each section had a dressing room, several pools at different temperatures and a room for massages. This bath was still operating at the time of the eruption of the volcano. Sections of this bath are still standing, you can look around for a little while, then we must leave to meet our bus.”

Colin and I did just that. I showed Colin the men’s changing room. “Armand, why the domed room?”

“You need to remember those contractors copied designs from Greece and Roman architecture. I don’t think there was anything special except the aesthetics of the building. When we leave, I noticed a shop that sold books. Maybe you can find a book showing Pompeii before and after the eruption of the volcano.” His smile said it all.

He did buy two books one explained the excavation of Pompeii and one which talked about the Greek origins including the war where Rome conquered Pompeii.

Boarding the bus, “The next time we are in Italy we will spend more time here. On my first visit I spent 5 days here.” The smile I got was payment enough.

Our bus stopped at Naples for dinner. I ordered a pizza for Colin and me. Naples was known for it’s pizza and I’m sure Colin would agree as he ate 3/4ths of the pizza I ordered. I knew someone would need to work off the few extra pounds he gained.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 32
  • Love 20
  • Haha 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

14 hours ago, weinerdog said:

That was very interesting.

If I ever get to travel there you left me with a mental note Naples is known for it's pizza can't pass that up (although I do know pizza is different there)

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 5/20/2022 at 3:31 AM, chris191070 said:

Awesome chapter 

Thanks. There is a lot of literature on the web concerning Pompeii

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 5/23/2022 at 8:48 AM, CLJobe said:

I remember the first time I ordered pizza in Milan. There were a total of four of us. When the waiter asked us what we wanted on the pizza, we told him the usual four,  pepper, mushrooms, onions and sausage. When the pizza came, the pizza was divided into four sections, each section had one of the toppings we requested.

We did the same in Naples , I showed my Friends how to eat it with a Fork / Knife too 🤣

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..