Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 640 Words
  • 4,381 Views
  • 28 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 4. Chapter 4

The painting hung in the gallery for three weeks when Armand made his first trip to the gallery. As he walked in, he was amazed at the various art items being displayed. There were several paintings, photographs, ceramics, and even some sculptures. He kept looking for his painting.

“May I help you?”

“Yes, I was looking for a painting my friend made. He said it was on display here.”

“Besides what you see on the walls as you enter, I have several being displayed on the walls in this alcove.”

Turning into the alcove, Armand spotted his painting. Being nonchalant, he began to look at the others. Most had a price attached. “This painting by Arrow is my friend’s, and there isn’t a price attached.”

“No, this is his first piece being shown here. Since I don’t have an idea of what his painting is worth, I put it up for bid.”

Mrs. McNiel went to the painting and took a piece of paper from the small box directly below the picture. “The current bid on this painting is 500 dollars.”

Armand was a little shocked. Five hundred dollars was a lot of money. “So, is it sold?”

“Not yet. I have a friend who will be here next week; I want him to see it before I sell it to this high bidder.”

That evening at dinner, Armand told his parents about his visit to the gallery. “They have a bid on my painting for 500 dollars, and I never thought that the painting is worth that much.”

“I think it is worth more. Did Mrs. McNiel say when she would sell it?”

“No, she said she has a friend coming next week, and she will sell it after he sees it.”

That evening he told GG about the painting and the bid of 500 dollars. She just smiled.

About two weeks later, Miss McNiel told Armand he needed to go to the gallery. She didn’t tell him why but she knew his painting was sold.

On a Saturday, a little over two weeks had passed when he was told to go to the gallery. When he entered, he saw Mrs. McNiel talking to a customer, so he wandered to the alcove looking for his painting, and it was gone. Just as he was going to look for Mrs. McNiel, he bumped into her when he turned.

“The painting is gone.”

“Yes, I sold it to my friend for 750 dollars, and he said the frame itself was worth at least 100 dollars. I have a check for Arrow, and can I give it to you to give to him?”

It took a while for Armand to get his head around the money. He nodded. “Follow me to my office.”

In her office, she gave him the check explaining her fee was 20 percent of the selling price. “If your friend Arrow has any more paintings, I would be delighted to show them and sell them.”

Armand just nodded. He kept looking at the check. Mrs. McNiel knew Armand was Arrow, but if he wanted to remain anonymous, that was okay by her.

When Armand entered the kitchen, he showed his mom the check. “You sold your first painting!” She was quite excited, “Wait till your father sees that check.”

“Mom, it’s made out to Arrow. How can I cash it?”

“Monday, on your lunch break, we’ll go to the bank and open an account for Arrow.”

Needless to say, his dad was very pleased, and so was GG. Now Armand had to go through the collection of his paintings, select the ones he wanted to sell, and start making frames. For the next four weeks, he was busy in school and home. His dad cleared a space for him in the garage to build his frames.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 45
  • Love 34
  • Wow 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



26 minutes ago, Christopher said:

I just wonder what Monet, Renoir, or one of the other great artists in history sold their first painting for in todays dollars. For a first painting from an unknown artist, I would think  $750 is on the higher end of a potential master. 
In regards to opening an account under ARROW, @weinerdogi would think the bank would allow and account under Armand’s legal name and tax ID number doing business as ARROW or simply get a tax ID for ARROW as an established business entity and open the account with that information. As quickly and costly as his first painting was solved, I’d imagine forming a corporation - ARROW, LLC - would be a wise thing to do. I am neither a banker or financial planner but I’ve seen both on TV! 😂

I wonder how Banksy manage gets paid for the art he sells (like the 1.04 million pounds high bid paid at a Sotheby's auction in 2018), since nobody knows his real name.

  • Like 2
  • Wow 3
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..