Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,323 Words
  • 1,094 Views
  • 15 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 174. Chapter 174

Colin and I had one other concern, David’s education. The boys showed him their books and what they had for homework. Toby even tried to teach him how to read. Although David had some schooling, his mother’s illness prevented him from attending school on a regular basis. Then when his mother died, he was on the streets.

“How old do you think David is?”

“I don’t know, but I know someone who will know.” That evening I asked GG. I listened carefully as she told me about David’s life. David was a year older than Toby but his school attendance was limited depending on his mother’s needs. I knew what we needed to do, David needed a tutor to bring him to age-appropriate school grades. Now to talk with Roger to see if he knows any students who could provide tutoring for David.

 

In the morning over coffee, I told Colin what GG told me. He agreed a tutor would be a good idea. “If you have some time today, you need to take him shopping for clothes. He needs his own clothes.”

I laughed, he was wearing hand-me-downs but he was putting on weight and had grown a little taller. He wasn’t tall enough to wear Ronnie’s clothes but he was taller than the boys. Tommy had taken a lot of the boy's older clothes to the Home so there was a limited amount of clothing available.

“David, get ready, we are going shopping this morning.” Then I heard, “Dad, I need socks, I need T-shirts, my school shoes are getting tight.”

“Be ready to go shopping after school today. Write down what clothes you need. I don’t want to spend all afternoon shopping.” I knew if they didn’t write down what they needed we would buy more clothes than what they needed.

“You should also check with Geno and Angela to see if any of those children need any clothes.”

What I thought was a quick clothes run has now turned into an all-day activity. When Geno and Angela came to the kitchen for breakfast, I asked them about the kids needing new clothes.

“Armand, there is no need to buy them clothes.”

“Maybe a jacket as a souvenir of their trip to the States or a hat. I think those who have been here before had bought hats.”

So we decided we would go shopping when my boys came home from school. Now I needed to get some help. When I mentioned it at breakfast, Ronnie said if we did it after school, he might be able to help. Now I needed at least two more. Pepe said he would help, and Tommy agreed to help. What I didn’t know was Tommy had an ulterior motive.

When the boys came home from school, “Okay, I want each of you to make a list of the clothes you need.”

“Dad, can we get new shoes? Mine are pinching my toes.”

I knew they weren’t pinching his toes but I thought if we measure their foot and the if the shoes fit, there will be no new shoes.

“Dad, we need to take the children from the Home for new clothes as well.”

“Let’s do that another day. We can get Grandmother and her girls to take the Home children in small groups shopping.”

I needed new clothes for David and shoes. The boys' clothes were getting too small and the older boys' clothes were too large. We needed transition clothes.

One thing that help, the boys as well as the children at the Home had no problem wearing ‘hand-me-downs’.

I went to the Home to get the bus. With the number of people going shopping, I needed a bus.

I couldn’t believe it, from the original plan of taking David shopping, I now had a bus full.

Arriving at the clothing store in the mall, the store manager suggested we focus on one item and not scatter through the store. I didn’t think it mattered but he did do things for us to make our shopping here easier.

First stop, shoes. David’s shoes, Tennis and dress. He was followed by my boys. I looked at Angela and she shook her head no. Then the shopping followed my pattern. Socks, pants, shirts, underwear. That was when Anthony held up a jacket, so everyone had to have a jacket. With a jacket, you needed a hat or cap. At this stage, I lost control.

As usual, the store Manager set up a cash register to check us out. They put on their jacket and hat as soon as it was rung. Little Angela saw a teddy bear but Angela said no. So I picked it up, Little Geno wanted a jacket and hat like older boys. Again Angela said no, so I had those as well. As little Geno left the line I gave him his jacket and cap. His smile said it all, he was part of the big boys. I did the same with little Angelina and got a kiss on my cheek. I also got a scorned look from their mother until I put a hat on her. Then I got a hit on the head, but it was light.

David was anxious to try on his new clothes. He did have his jacket on and his cap. His toothless smile lit up the bus. When I headed to the ice cream shop, they all were smiling even Angela. What I thought would be a terrible day actually turned out to be a great day. I actually felt ashamed of my feelings before we left to go shopping. Now I needed to focus on the children at the Home.

I noticed over the days when Geno and Angela were with us, Carl was spending a lot of time in the studio. Along with the village boys were three girls. Two of the girls were here before but there was a new girl. She was blond with blue eyes. Definitely from the north of Italy. When I asked Angela about her she said she was a cousin and she was helping her with the children. She was also Carl’s latest model.

That evening, Colin have you noticed the blond girl who came with Geno and Angela?”

“Yes, why? She is very attractive.”

“I think Carl has found her very attractive as well. He’s painting her portrait.”

“How old is he? He has to be in his teens.”

“He’s 15 and will be 16 in January.”

“You got to admit he has good taste.”

“I wonder what is he going to do with the painting?”

“He’s going to give it to her. Seems I know another artist who gave away some of his early paintings and drawings.”

That got him a punch in the shoulder which I had to kiss before he could go to sleep.

 

In the morning, I checked on Carl’s progress. Standing and looking at the painting as the sun broke into the studio, her blonde hair seemed to shine. I went to check out his paint and he had added finely ground glass to the paint he used for her hair. The sun shining on the glass in the paint created a sparkle. I wonder how it figured that out.

“Do you like it, Dad?”

I jumped as I didn’t hear him come into the room. “Yes, Carl. I like it very much. In fact, this has been the best you have ever done. Wait until Uncle Roger sees it.”

I got a hug from Carl. This was definitely the best he has ever done. I knew Roger would be pleased.

“Dad, would you be mad if I gave it to her after I frame it?”

“No. Pop has reminded me of the many drawings and paintings I have given away.” I left a smiling young man standing in front of his painting.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Love 25
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 5/16/2023 at 4:12 PM, CLJobe said:

You will have to go back and see when Toby was adopted. I don't have my papers with me to answer that question. I am away from my home and the information on the boys is there.

An unspeaking Toby first comes to Armand's attention in Chapter 136 when he climbs up and sits in Armand's lap when he visits the orphanage. Obviously a young, small new boy at the orphanage, but no age mentioned.

Toby appears again during Thanksgiving Dinner at The Home / Uncle's House in Chapter 139, when still unspeaking, he sits on Armand's lap and they share both dinner plates. 

In Chapter 141 Home (orphanage) manager Pat gives Armand the files / bios of 6 young children needing to be adopted, 2 girls under 6 years old and 4 young boys including Toby. No mention of his age.

Chapter 142 and Armand visits the home just before Christmas and takes the children, including Toby to a department store to buy gifts and visit Santa. Armand watches as Toby appears to whisper in Santa's ear and a tear falls on Toby's cheek. Santa whispers back and Toby smiles, but no one else hears what is said.

Chapter 144 sees Armand, Colin and family at court to adopt 2 little girls and 4 young boys; “Toby is the boy who sits with me. He doesn’t talk and I want to know why. Louis  the shy boy who wants to sit on my lap but is afraid. He was placed in the Home by child services for protection from his father. Anthony lost his parents to a disease his dad brought home from his tour in The Service. John lived with his father who has been charged with a serious crime.”

But still no mention of how old Toby is. 

Still looking :read: @CLJobe

Hope your recovery is going well Cal and you get 'home' for Memorial Day. 

Edited by Anton_Cloche
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..