Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 2,252 Words
  • 1,318 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 138. Chapter 138

I don’t know what normality is, I thought I did but when I became involved with the boys in high school, I founded out that my life and family weren’t normal. This was the first time we joined the Parent-Teachers Association, At our first meeting, everyone was welcoming us until we were introduced by the president. New couples were introduced naming their child and grade. When it came to us, we were announced as the parents of our four boys. Now everyone knew we were a couple whereas before they thought we each had a family and a child. We overheard one women tell her neighbor that we were bachelors and our children are in the 9th grade. A woman who heard her, told them we were homosexuals and in her opinion we shouldn’t be allowed to be in our school. I looked at Colin and I could see the blood rise. I squeezed his hand, shaking my head no. We sat there listening to the rest of the introductions and the whispers around us.

Following the business section of the meeting there was a coffee hour for people to get to know each other. I went and got two cups of coffee. Handling one to Colin, we stood there listening and catching people looking at us. When caught, they would smile, turn their backs to us and continue their conversation.

“Let’s go. We aren’t welcome here.”

I sat down my unfinished coffee and headed for the door. A woman, “Leaving already? It was nice to see you here. I hope to see you at the next meeting.” Walking to the car, a woman ran after us. “I think it best you don’t return. The reputation of the PTA is important in our community.”

“You don’t need to worry. We don’t want to associate with bigots. I over heard you are on your second husband and looking for your third. Nice principals you are setting for your children.”

“That isn’t any of your business.”

“And who I married isn’t any of your business.”

“Don’t worry about them.”

“I’m not but they might cause a problem for our boys.”

“If they do, I know a judge who will set them straight.”

That night GG came and said not to worry. I told her I was concerned for the boys. Rocking away, don’t worry.

I told Colin in the morning what GG said. “I agree, don’t worry.”

I was concerned more about the boys, as it turned out, GG was right there was nothing to worry about.

As time passed, Ronnie played more and more earring the nickname Bullet. Soon, we heard the name at home. The only ones calling Ronnie, Ronnie at home were Colin and I. Even Marie called him Bullet. I think Richie was behind that.

We continued to go to Ronnie’s game. When ever he was involved in a a play, the boys would start a chant, “Bullet, Bullet, Bullet. Even the pep squad would pick it up and lead the crowd. Colin and I would sit there and watch him. After a football play, that he was involved, was concluded he would look to the stands. When he found us, he would wave. That was when the boys started their chant. Soon all the guys from the Home would join in. I could feel GG.

The after game treat became expected, win or lose. The ice cream parlor started to track the High School games. I think they began to keep a record of the boys and they favorite treat. Colin said they just made cones, no one would refuse an ice cream cone, regardless of the flavor.

The boys would come home from school, under Richies urging, homework started along with a Nonna snack. Their friends would listen and at times they would ask questions. The boys took time to answer them which involved an explanation. I thought what these children will do when they return to Italy. They won’t be the same children that left..

Our lives seemed to revolve around the holidays. Marcel and James were working up menus for the club and the Home. Lists of ingredient were made and shopping was design around those lists. At home, shopping lists for holiday gifts were being generated and one would find several catalogues laying around tables. The boys wanted to buy and wrapped holiday gifts for their guests so they could open their gifts before they left for home. Colin took pictures of the bunk beds and sent them to Geno. He told Nonna if Geno can’t find the beds or someone to make them, he would have them sent to Italy from here.

I continued to work on my painting of Arnaud’s son, when I could. I was spending time at the Home and Club, beside spending time with my family at home, my day was pretty full. Colin did talk to Charles about the house for Mom and Dad. As I suspected a thorough cleaning, painting and a new bathroom had the house ready for new furniture.

Walking into the gallery, Mary was back on the job. “Mary, I need Mom and Dad to check out that house next door.”

“I’ll bring your mom over tomorrow. She can check it out. I have never been inside.”

“Come, I’ll show you now. I haven’t been inside since Charles had finished.”

Closing the gallery, we went to check out the house. As we entered we could smell the paint. “You’ll need to open the windows to air the place out.” So as we went from room to room. I opened the windows. The kitchen had all new appliances. I knew that wasn’t included in the scope of work Colin gave Charles. There was a room off of the kitchen that had a bathroom, washing machine and clothes dryer. The room exited into the back yard. “If I remember, there was a porch here.”

Going upstairs, there were two bedrooms, a bathroom and in a closet, stairs to the attic. The bedrooms had carpeted floors, the bathroom had tiled floors. It also had a walk in shower with a shelf for soap. There was a cupboard in the bathroom, when I opened the door, there were towels on the top shelves and a basket on wheels for clothes and used towels.

Walking up the steps to the attic, it was what I expected. There was just a room with a pitched roof. If someone had the money and desire, with the installation of dormer windows, one could make another room. Knowing Mom and Dad, this would be a storage room.

“What do you think, Mom?”

“I think your mother and dad will be very happy here.”

Now I needed to show my parents.

That evening, in bed, “I toured the house next to the gallery. Charles did a great job. We should get him and his crew a gift.”

“I’ll think of something. Nonna will be leaving next month. I think I’ll go back with her and stop in Barcelona.”

“You won’t stay long?”

“No, maybe a day or two. I’ll set up a system that will allow me to talk to Alesander frequently and monitor the company’s bank account. As soon as he pays me back, the sooner he will own the company outright.”

I liked that. I needed Colin home and not flying back and forth. It won’t be long before he will have his own fishing to worry about. Thinking that, I started to laugh.

“What’s so funny?”

“I was thinking about you fishing and if you would be an American version of Alesander’s grandfather.”

“Only if I catch a big tuna.” We knew that wasn’t going to happen.

Halloween was just around the corner. That meant costumes for the boys and friends as well as the Home. This year our boys and the Italian contingency will go around the neighborhood. I wish there was a way for the children at the Home to go around as well. Maybe the older children, I need to update my roster. That night I asked GG how can I celebrate Halloween with the kids at the Home. Thoughts ran through my head small groups with the help of the Club staff, a hay ride through town, I needed something. The boys said we should have a halloween party. “We did that last year, think about something else.”

Richie suggested we do a haunted house, or haunted club. That had possibilities.The old orphanage hadn’t been torn down yet. Seems there is a problem at City Hall. Colin would know about that but I wasn’t interested in that building. Now, with a possible haunted house, it might have some use one more time.

That evening in bed, “I was thinking about something for the children at the Home for Halloween. The boys mentioned a haunted house. What do you think about the old orphanage?”

“That is a possibility, we can get the older kids to dress up as monsters.”

“I don’t want to create nightmares for the little children.”

“The monsters can hand out candy and cookies. That might help.”

“Let me think about that.” I didn’t want to scare them, I wonder if we had a house haunted with clowns that would make them laugh. This needed a little more thought. I’ll ask the Moms and Pat for ideas.

The school was having a Halloween dance the week-end before Halloween. Now a decision had to be made. I’m sure the boys would want to go but their friends couldn’t be left behind. I told them to ask around about the dance, maybe they would be allowed to bring a guest or if the school knew about their guests they could be invited as well.

Four days later, at dinner I asked about the Halloween dance. Richie said he talked with the principal and she said she would let him know.

Halloween isn’t really a Holliday as much as it is a day of harvest. Richie asked why do we celebrate it. I spoke to Colin and we decided to make it a contest for the boys. The one with the best explanation of why we celebrate Halloween, would get to go fishing.

I looked at Colin, “Fishing?”

“Yes, I’ll take the gang out on a smaller boat.”

The principal answered Richie’s request with a no. So the boys decided they weren’t going. I felt there was something else behind it. Ever since that PTA meeting, I felt different vibes from anything the school did that involved the PTA.

The boys came home from school laughing. Ronnie was the hero of the day, I’m told. Now I had to listed, I got a cup of coffee and sat with the boys as they had their snack.

“One of the girls asked Ronnie if he was going to the dance. He said no.”

“Ronnie, you don’t want go?”

“No, if we can’t have our guests join us then it isn’t proper for us to go and leave them behind.” I knew where that came from. I looked at Richie and he smiled.

“So what happened?”

“She thought it wasn’t right and told the other girls. Now the girls decided they weren’t going because if they had a guest, it wouldn’t be right for them to go and their guest to stay home.”

“So no freshman girls are going.”

“That is what they are saying.”

“I’ll bet some of them go.”

I listen as they talked. Their friends said they should go and Alissia could go as Tommy’s date. “No, if we all can’t go then I don’t want to go. Let’s demonstrate.”

“That won’t help. They won’t go against the PTA.”

“Why don’t you wait and see what happens.” That is what they decided.

That evening I told Colin about it, he said it’s no big deal. He’ll come up with something else for them to do that Saturday.

As it turned out, when the freshman girls told their escort they weren’t going and why, they got angry and started a petition getting signatures. Colin got them tickets to a play in New York which even if they were allowed to attend the dance, the boys would turn it down. I told Colin I think Nonna, Marie and I might enjoy the play. Nonna said no, she would stay and help Marcel at the club. Marie said it has been a long time when Richie’s mother and her attended plays in New York City. So it was settled. That Saturday, dressed in our finer clothes, we headed for the City in a bus.

Monday when the boys went to school, I was anxious to hear how the dance went. I was working on Arnaud’s painting when I heard the boys laughing. Putting away my paints and brushes, I headed to the kitchen.

“Dad, guess what happened?”

“What?”

“Only the Seniors and Juniors showed up for the dance. There was a woman from the PTA who kept saying, I don’t understand.”

“And this was told to you how?”

“One of the junior football player was telling the other players and the Bullet heard.”

“They were talking about it in the locker room. They couldn’t understand why the other grades didn’t show. One of the juniors had a date with a sophomore and she said she wasn’t going. So he didn’t go either.”

I told Colin that night, he shrugged his shoulders, “I told you not to worry.”

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 23
  • Love 22
  • Angry 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

20 hours ago, weinerdog said:

I love @dutch womanidea about getting the news paper involved . If the PTA knew even 10% of what they have done for the kids at the orphanage  they would realize how foolish they are 

Yes, prejudicial views from narrow minded individuals. They are those who only think of themselves.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
16 hours ago, mikedup said:

I just wonder bigots don't really care what others say ,they live more often than not with tunnel vision and only see what they to see , they also more often than not need a huge butt kick to change their attitude or it cause a huge monetary cost to them

If they knew Armand was arrow, they would have been over backwards to kiss his ass.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Not to rant, but the role of parents in education is one of support.  Parents wanting to run the school are on a power trip.  A principal who allows parents to set the rules for the school should be replaced.  Rather than run for a seat in the city council, Armand should be running for a seat on the school board.  It would make more sense IMO that he helps the school become a safer environment for students.  He would have a greater impact on the lives of all his kids and those who live in Uncle's House.  Those kids spend a huge part of their lives in the school.  Right now it is not a good environment with bigots running the place.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..