Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 2,692 Words
  • 1,441 Views
  • 19 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 87. Chapter 87

School was to start in a week, that meant school clothes and school supplies. I stopped at the school to see what the kids would need. The principal gave me a list of supplies. Tablets, Pencils, Crayons, and a book to read during quiet times. I’m not sure what quiet times were. Tommy said it is after lunch.

Mom and the her girls took the girls at the orphanage to get school clothes, jackets, school bags to hold their tablets, pencils and crayons. I told them to be sure they could hold a lunch as well. Mom didn’t think the idea of sending them with lunch in their school bag was a good idea. That meant I would need to deliver lunch.

This will be the last year for the boys at this school. They will be going to the junior high school for grades 7,8 and 9. There were 3 boys from the orphanage in 7th grade and two in the 8th grade. I made sure they had school supplies as well.

The first day, the boys were excited. They had their new school clothes on, their school bag with their name painted on it. I checked each bag to make sure they had paper, pencils, a straight edge and a compass. The book they had was their Spanish text book.

I told them I’ll be there with their lunch at noon.

Three boys didn’t mean three lunches. I checked with Pat as to the number of kids attending this school. Uncle James had a new assignment.

I took him to the bulk store where we bought paper bags, several rolls of wax paper, several cases of peanut butter. I laughed as he would pick up a jar, read the ingredients and put it back. He did this on eight different jars until he found the one he wanted. We bought 6 cases of this peanut butter. I was confused, why this one. Next was jelly, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I was getting hungry. Similar to the peanut butter, he read the ingredients on each brand. Eventually he found a brand in the section where dietetic products were on display. I must have looked confused, he showed me the label, low sugar.

“Later, we’ll make our own peanut butter and various jams and jellies.”

“When are you going to find time to do this?”

“Monday and Tuesday. I’m going to make rolls as well.”

I just looked at him. I put my arm around his shoulder, “I’m proud of you,” as I squeezed.

When we got home, I helped him carry our groceries into the kitchen. “Just leave it, I’ll pack it away.”

The lunch bags were packed 20 to a pack. I took two packs, a roll of paper towels and headed to my friendly hotdog/hamburger man.

In that grade school, the orphanage had 34 students in various grades. This meant I would need at least 40.

Walking into our friendly hotdog place, “I’m glad to see you. I thought you found someone else.”

“Now you know better than that.” I didn’t tell him about the lunches James would be making. If it becomes an issue I will have him set up in front of the orphanage once every three or four weeks.

“I need 40 hotdogs. Do you have those small individual catsup packets?”

He set a box in front of me, “Take what you need.”

While he prepared the hot dogs, I looked around his place. He had chocolate chip cookies, I picked up several packages. He also had individual small bags of potato chips, I added that to the packages on the counter. Now I needed something for them to drink.

There was a refrigerator with half pints of milk, white and chocolate. I took the chocolate, what kid doesn’t like chocolate.

As he finished the hotdogs, I started to make individual bags. When he was done, he added everything up, I paid. He brought over empty cardboard boxes and helped me to carry the boxes to the car.

Checking the time, I had 20 minutes to get to the school, plenty of time. Arriving at the school, I parked in front of the school and waited. I heard the bell, then I saw three boys heading my way. I got out of the car, then I heard, ‘Dad’. This drew the attention of the teachers.

When my boys reached me, hugs all around. Then I gave them their lunch. The kids from the orphanage shied away a little until Ronnie and Tommy started to hand out the lunch bags. Then I heard, thanks Uncle.

After everyone had their lunch bag and headed back into school, I still had about 6 bags left. I walked into the school where I was met by a teacher, “May I help you?”

“I’m Thomas’s, Ronald’s and Richard’s father. I have 6 lunches extra. Are there any children who forgot their lunch or just don’t have any.”

The teacher took a lunch bag and opened it. “Who paid for this?”

“I did, why?”

“We have to be sure there are no drugs in this food.”

Now I was getting a little irritated, “If there were drugs in this food then you will soon have a mess on your hands. Thirty-six of your students are eating lunches I brought.”

I don’t know how kids are aware, Tommy came up to me followed by the other two. Then the kids from the orphanage joined. “Dad, what’s the problem?”

Looking at the teacher, “Suppose you explain the problem.” She turned and left.

“Boys, I have 6 extra lunches. Do you know any one who doesn’t have a lunch today.”

Richie went and brought a boy over, Donnie went and brought two girls over. They said they forgot to take their lunch from home.

The boys handed out three bags which left three more. My favorite teacher came back with, who I assumed was, the principal. I sat with my boys and opened one of the bags. I saw a young man looking at my chocolate milk. I place my cookie on top of the milk carton. Then I waved him over, handing him a straw, the boys made room for him. Then I took out the hotdog, looking at the kid he was hungry. I gave him the hotdog, with teary eyes he said thank-you.

I wonder how many children go to bed hungry. You don’t have to be in an orphanage to feel alone or neglected.

Before leaving, I gave that boy the two left over lunches. Tonight I’ll find out more about that lad.

I went to the galleria and told Mom about my lunch time experiences. “We have focused a lot of time on the kids at the orphanage but today’s experience shows that kids can be neglected anywhere.”

“You can’t solve all of the problems children face. You and Colin have done a lot for the orphanage children. Be careful you don’t try and carry the world on your shoulders.”

I listen to what Mom said, but if she saw the look on that kids face before and after, she would have understood. Then in my head I heard, ‘paint it’.

Going back home, I picked up my camera. Next stop was a truck dealer. I needed to get James some kind of vehicle to deliver those lunches.

I called various truck dealers, most had used large trucks. Leafing through various leaflets I found a smaller van made by Grumman. It was called a Klub Van. Checking around one truck dealer he said he would try and get one for me, I told him if he found one to let me know and if the price is right and after my inspection, he would have a deal.

That evening after the kids were in bed, sitting on the roof, I told Colin about my day at the school.

“What are you going to do? You can’t let those kids go without lunch.”

“I want the kids to have a good lunch. I was looking for something like a bread truck to pack James’s lunches. The trucks that I have seen are huge.”

“Maybe a truck like a mail truck or a small delivery van.”

“Yes, so you’ll look for me?”

“Sneaky”

“I’ll need to line up driving lessons for James and then once he has his license he can drive the van to the school.”

“I don’t know if I like sitting up here with you. I always end up with a job.”

“Yes, but I pay you well.” A kiss sealed the bargain with a promise of what will come later tonight.

In the morning, the boys were up and James was in the kitchen. “Can I go with you when you deliver the lunches?”

“Sure, how many did you make?”

“Tommy said to make 45.”

I thought this will be interesting. “Before we go, I’d like to add a piece of fruit to the lunch bag.”

“Okay, as soon as I’m dressed will go to the store where we shopped last time to see what they have.”

James wanted fruit that was in season. They had some but James said it was old and only good for cooking. I asked when their next shipment was coming in, he said in two weeks.

Driving home, “Armand, we didn’t get any milk.”

“We can get some at that little store.”

Stopping on our way to the school with the lunches James and I entered the store. I went and brought two cases of milk to the front, James carried them to the car. We needed straws, so I picked up several packages, better to have too much than too little. While there I took all of the bananas he had. I also picked up several bags of apples, James said no, get the oranges instead, so I did.

Arriving at the school, there were no children waiting for us. I knew that was strange. I opened the school door, looked into the lunch room it was empty. I walked to my boys’ room, looked into the room from the hall and saw them sitting in their seats with their heads down.

I knocked on the door, opened it and walked into the room. “I believe it is lunch time.”

The teacher stood, “There will be no lunches today.”

I looked at her, went to the phone and called my club guards. “David, this is Armand. I need you to come to the school at 360 Elves Road. There is a teacher here holding the children as hostages. Yes, I’ll meet you out front.”

I hung up and walked out of the school to await the police.

I’m sure she heard the sirens, but maybe not. One of the teachers came out to see what the siren was all about, when she saw the police pulling into the driveway, she turned and ran back into the school. I put my foot in the door so it wouldn’t close, James forced it open.

The 6th grade teacher came almost running out, she tried to shut the door. Too late, the police were in the doorway.

“Ma’am, who is in charge here.”

“I am and this man has no right to be here, I demand you arrest him.”

I pointed to my watch, “Ma’am, I like to talk to some of your students. I suppose they are in the lunch room finishing lunch.”

“No, we canceled lunch today.”

“Ma’am, that is against the law.”

“This man brought lunch here yesterday for the children from the orphanage. He wouldn’t tell us what was in those sandwiches.”

“Do you have lunches for those children today?”

“Yes, officer. James bring some of those lunches so these gentlemen can inspect our lunch.”

“That’s not a good test. He could pick one that isn’t adulterated.”

“James, take this woman and let her pick one out.”

Then I had to laugh, Bruce, the other cop, started to carry the cases of milk, the box of bananas and oranges, and the box of lunches. She continued to protest.

I went to the 6th grade, “You are excused for lunch.” I did the same thing for the other grades. The first graders were crying. There were two girls and one boy from the orphanage, when I opened the door to the first grade, they saw me. Crying uncle, they ran to me. I looked at the teacher, “Are you proud of not letting these children have their lunch?”

Looking at me, she had tears in her eyes. I knew she was only following orders, but history is full of people ‘only following orders’ to have people who are hurt, harmed and even worse.

She handed the kids their lunches, except the ones from the orphanage, I had their lunches. Following them to the lunch room with my escort, I was surprised to see James and the police handing out lunch bags, milk, fruit. I saw the boy from yesterday, he sat there, patiently waiting. I picked up a lunch bag, a carton of milk and an orange. I set them in front of him. He looked at me with tears in his eyes. I ruffled his hair, then I saw my three heading in his direction.

Cleaning up, we left. I could hardly wait until I picked up my boys.

I stopped at the galleria and told Mom what happened at the school. She was shocked, but nothing like Pat at the orphanage. She wasn’t not only shocked, but up in arms as well. What I never knew, if anything went wrong or missing it was always those kids from the orphanage. Now I was angry as well.

That evening I told Colin. “Forget it, Armand. I’ll take care of it.”

We continued to deliver lunches and James always made sure there were extras.

One afternoon, I was at the gallery when the professor came in. “Armand, we expect our European delegation next week. I noticed you have some spare place on your wall, will you have finished paintings to fill in the gaps?”

“I’m not sure.”

“Would you mind if a few of my graduate students put their paintings there?”

Now that tickled something in my head, I had plenty of space on the other walls why on my wall. “No, Professor. They are always welcomed to show case their paintings, works of art or anything that they would like to sell.”

That evening I looked at the various paintings I had. I think my ratio was 10 unfinished to 1 finished. I need to get back to my painting, seriously.

That evening I asked Colin if he knew a driving instructor for James. “I’ll find one. You look a little up tight, is it the school?”

Smiling, “No, Mom and Pat are handling that. Do you remember when we were in Paris and the commotion you started with the Mona Lisa?”

“I didn’t start that you did.” Smiling, I kissed him.

“I think I told you about a group of art critics from Europe arriving. Well, they will be here this week-end.”

“Okay, but you don’t have to worry.”

“The professor wants to have his graduate students post their work in the empty spaces on my wall.”

“That shouldn’t be a problem.”

“Sharing the space isn’t the problem. The problem is I have started so many paintings and have finished very few. I get wrapped up with extracurricular activities, the school issue, getting a system in place that James can handle. I need a vacation.” Then I started to laugh. When I was finished laughing, I felt better.

I did finish one painting, which I took to the galleria. Mom hung it and priced it.

School problem seemed to be resolved with a new 6th grade teacher. The old teacher was re-assigned to a bigger school. According to the boys, the new teacher is very nice.

James started his driving lessons and according to Colin during very well. In the mean time, I aligned my unfinished painting in the order of almost complete to hardly touched.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 23
  • Love 30
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 9/12/2022 at 11:21 AM, weinerdog said:

Sadly there are school officials and teachers who are that extreme and irrational.In California the schools provide lunches for needy kids and I would think kids from an orphanage would qualify for that unless the state they live in don't have a program like that.

James is a real smart guy it showed when he was looking for products with low sugar and also his plans to make their own peanut butter he obviously

 did a lot of studying on the subject

James will come into his own one day. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't create dishes that would be featured at the club.

  • Love 5
Link to comment
On 9/12/2022 at 11:23 AM, dutch woman said:

 A teacher who deprives the children of their lunch belongs in prison. Especially if those children come from a bad home situation, she is a racist.

Definitely. How she kept her Job was a miracle. In the US there is seniority, it was meant to award teachers that have taught for a long time. The downside is it also protects teachers who are no longer qualified.

  • Sad 5
Link to comment
23 hours ago, Clancy59 said:

They are correct.  It is illegal to deprive children of their lunches.  In many states and cities, there is a program that provides free breakfast and lunch for students whose families are officially below a certain income.  It can vary from community to community, but generally hovers around the poverty line.  The orphans would certainly qualify.  (In my last school system, so many qualified that they simply went to free breakfast/lunch for all elementary students, no matter what the income.  It was easier since we were over 95% free lunch.)  However, seriously, the lunches Armand and James are providing are providing are probably fresher and better quality, even if they are the same items.  

Armand knew Pat would have no problem with him feeding all the kids, but he should have notified the school, through her, that he would be doing so. He was trying to be his normal, helpful, generous self with those extra lunches, but he is a new entity to the school as he has never had any children there before, so the teacher was correct to be suspicious.  However, she totally overreacted, in a totally inappropriate manner.  Where was the principal in all this?  Both needed to be removed after that fiasco.

I substituted for a while after I retired, I was surprised that many of the children had the barest of lunches, generally a sandwich. One school offered free salads to all of the students. Those that could afford lunches, their selection wasn't the best.

The other teachers should have protested as well.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
23 hours ago, mikedup said:

Well what a surprise, teachers with no feelings or emotions of how to help , I suppose their attitude was I collect my pay and to hell with the rest of them , that is worse than cruel and unusual punishment, but karma is a very cruel master, payback is always worse than the crime,I think that they are going to have a free canteen running soon  

I think you are right. They are almost there and James's peanut butter sandwiches on home made rolls,  are a hit. 

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
22 hours ago, drsawzall said:

Grandma always said it took all kinds people to educate one's self, to be able to understand the difference between the good and the bad...so it was with the school...there should have been a simple conversation to take care of the matter, but with someone's head stuck in the sand... it wasn't going to happen...then, on top of all that, to deprive students of lunch was simply willfully criminal...

Here in the Bay State all school meals are free to every student...regardless of income... 

I think that is the way it should be, free lunches. It's the only way to insure that the kids are getting a nutritional lunch. 

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
22 hours ago, scrubber6620 said:

What a mess !  Armand persisted and the kids got lunches and the wrong-headed teacher was reassigned.

Now he needs to work on finishing more paintings so he is ready for the upcoming visit by European art critics.

If I was Armand, I would be concerned what these critics think. Although his greatest critic is GG. I think he is going to be surprised, he has a good friend in the Professor.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
9 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Back to School and normality

Yes, and of course there will always be something unexpected. Perhaps these critics will bring something with them to upset the cart.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
55 minutes ago, scrubber6620 said:

BTW, Elvis famously enjoyed peanut butter sandwiches with banana slices and honey.

I didn't know that. I have had many peanut sandwiches over the years but never with banana.  I might try that. I'll skip the. honey.  Thanks

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Wow! I never heard of this happening, even when I went to school in the 1950's!  Did the school district time travel and hire teachers from medieval monasteries!  :gikkle: I hope that Armand gets some more paintings done before the European delegation arrives.  I have a hunch he might meet a few old acquaintances among the group.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 9/13/2022 at 11:31 PM, scrubber6620 said:

BTW, Elvis famously enjoyed peanut butter sandwiches with banana slices and honey.

This comment brought back an ancient memory.  I went to meet my dad's side of the family the summer of 1966 in east Tennessee.  A very cute cousin my age introduced me to peanut butter banana sandwiches, dragging the strip and McDonalds.  Also his collection of Playboy magazines just before we went to bed.  I was a horny teen, but too gay and innocent to look at them with him.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..