Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 751 Words
  • 1,726 Views
  • 19 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 53. Chapter 53

I talked to my carpenter and electrician about the apartments. They wanted a tour so I agreed to give them a tour on the coming Monday afternoon.

Arriving at the gallery, they wanted to know if I owned the gallery. When I said yes, they wanted to know if I had my paintings there. I said that there were mine and other artists from the school. “Can we enter?”

“Of course, it’s open to the public. Maybe you’ll want to buy a painting or some sculpture.”

I gave them quick tour and I showed them the village. I explained that when I was studying in Europe I stayed at this village. “I wanted to paint this in that small Italian restaurant in town. The owner is from here but he said no. So I painted it here.”

We stopped and said hi to Mary. I didn’t see Thomas, I guess we were to early for him to be at the galleria. “You remember these men, they worked on the club. I want to get them to work on the apartments.”

Saying goodbye, I let them to the back where the stairwell to the apartments existed. Turning on the hall light, “I think we need a stronger light here. I would also light the stairs to the apartments.” Walking up the stairs to the first floor, “The lightening in this hall also needs upgraded. There are three apartments on this floor and three on the floor above.”

We spent the rest of the morning touring the apartments. As we toured, we talked about what needed done. “Armand, we will give you a list of projects and costs. But there is one thing you should do. Your only exit is the stairway, if you have a fire, it would be difficult for someone on the third floor to get out and it my be difficult for someone on this floor. Now since no one is living here, it isn’t a problem.”

I thought about that. If there was a fire, the gallery would be in danger as well. “What do you think about a sprinkler system for here and the gallery. A fire here could ruin those paintings in the gallery as well.”

“A sprinkler system is a good idea, but you need a second exit from these floors.”

“How about a fire escape on the outside of the building.”

“That we can do. You’ll probably need that anyway for insurance.”

“When you have your plans and costs, let’s meet. I’ll need to bring Colin up to date. We can do that at the Club.”

I walked them back to their cars. Then I went to see Mom. I needed to bring her up to date. I also wanted to discuss some sort of fire suppression system for the Gallery. Water would ruin the paintings.

She suggested I meet with the fire department and see if they have any ideas. I wonder what Mrs. McNiel used at her gallery.

That evening I brought Colin up to date on the inspection. “When we were talking abut a fire suppression system, I thought about the gallery . If we had a fire in those apartments, all of those paintings could be ruined. I need to think about insurance on the gallery and the art that is being shown there.”

“I’ll check with the fire department for you and maybe they can tell me what other galleriy’s use. We should review our fire policies on the club as well.”

I wonder if there is a way to isolate the apartments from the gallery. “Colin, I need to ask the carpenter if we could isolate the apartments from the gallery. Maybe there may be a way to seal the floor of the 2nd floor apartment so that any water couldn’t seep into the galleria.”

“We should do that now regardless of fire protection. If a water pipe broke, that water would seep into the gallery.”

“I better have the plumber take a look at the apartments. If there is any question, I’d want all new plumbing.”

“These apartments are going to cost a lot of money.”

“Once we have the recommendations from the carpenter, electrician and plumber, we can determine if it is worth while renting.”

Thinking about these insurance policies I thought I better check my bank account. I’ll need to have sufficient funds to cover my paintings in the gallery and the mural in the club if we rent the apartments or not.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 28
  • Love 20
  • Fingers Crossed 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 7/11/2022 at 8:34 AM, chris191070 said:

Doing all 5he work on the flats, fire suppression system is gonna cost alot of money. Is Armand in for a shock when he checks his bank balance.

Surprised Thomas wasn't there, might be to early in the day.

It was early, Colin had left for work when Armand left for the Gallery. I think Armand thought the bid was high but he wasn't sure. He conferred with Colin and between the two of them it was decided they had enough money. Armand was still receiving money from Mrs. McNiel.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 7/11/2022 at 8:50 AM, scrubber6620 said:

Armand is carefully going over what to do to  make usable and safe the apartments above and the gallery. He is going to need more information. Like Chris191070, I bet Armand is going to find out that his ideas are going to be very expensive. Updating electrical and plumbing systems and other items in an old building is very costly

. The expected rent may not be enough to give a good return on the investment to upgrade the building. He may have to reconsider the scope of his project.  At least, he will need to make the gallery safe with a fire protection and burglar alarm system,

He will spend any money to keep the gallery safe. If he didn't improve the apartments, being on the floors above the gallery, he couldn't that the risk of a problem with them. So he must make sure they have fire prevention systems as well. Rental fees will probably depend on what Yale charges for dorms. There is a premium to be close to school and independent 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 7/11/2022 at 10:25 AM, mikedup said:

I think that the insurance will be worth it , I hope he is sitting down when he checks his bank account, I think he is going to be very,very surprised , pity no Thomas in this chapter 

It's too early to have Thomas. But be assured he will be a key figure in future chapters. I don't think Armand knows what is in his bank account. He seems not to be concerned about money. I believe Colin is the brains in that department.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 7/11/2022 at 11:35 AM, weinerdog said:

This chapter was educational as well as entertaining. I wouldn't know this or sure one way or another but I bet its unusual for there to be apartments above a galleria.I assume since one hasn't been mentioned there is no elevator since would be Armand is updating would he also be required to install one?

The apartments were part of the building that Colin bought, The first floor was a store, which Colin turned into a gallery for Armand. I think it wasn't unusual for the small apartments not to have an elevator.  I think there are a lot of small business building have only stairways. By putting in a fire escape, he provides and exit system not involving the stairs, although they could be used, at least the second floor Apartment A

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 7/11/2022 at 7:07 PM, Christopher said:

Reading this chapter reminded me of the 1986 Steven Spielberg movie 'The Money Pit' with Tom Hanks, Shelley Long, and Alexander Godunov. Before you know it, the front door is falling out, ceiling falling in, closet falling down, and bathtub going through the floor. I think a fire suppression system might be the least of Armand and Colin's worries! 🤣

Nah, I wouldn't write a story like the Money Pit. I think Colin and his friends on the club's Board will get involved in the approving of renters. I wouldn't be surprised if the professor doesn't get involved. Wait until he tells Mary she has to collect the rent.

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Armand may have a surprise when he checks the bank account.  It doesn't sound like he does that on a regular basis.  Renovation may be the thing to do, but they are also very messy.  They should start by sealing off the gallery from the work being done on the upper floors.  I too did miss Thomas in this chapter.  I hope he is OK.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..