Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,239 Words
  • 1,650 Views
  • 23 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 121. Chapter 121

In the morning, the boys couldn’t sit still. I had arrange for the ladies to take a tour featuring some of the other works by Gaudi. The tour included lunch. I also arrange for the hotel cooking staff to prepare 10 lunches for us to take to the boat. We were ready to go and Alesander showed up. “I didn’t expect you this morning. Have you had breakfast?”

“No, but I’ll pick up something as we walk to the boat. My grandfather is very excited about going out today.”

“Wait” I went and wrapped some eggs, bread and sausages in a napkin. “Here, eat this as we walk to the boat.”

I noticed he only ate one egg, and half of the sausage. I knew the rest was for his grandfather. I hoped that the fishing will be good today.

Arriving at the boat, Alesander’s grandfather was standing on the deck smiling. He was ready to go.

Boarding the boat, I gave him our lunches, he put them in the helm. Started the boat and we headed out to sea.

I am not sure who was prouder, the grandfather or Alesander. It was evident both of them loved fishing and having clients made their day.

We seemed to being going out quite far. “Alesander, how far are we going?”

“Grandfather has a special place to fish. He doesn’t have enough fuel to go out this far but you paid to fill his fuel tank. I know he hasn’t been out this far for a long time. You’ll see, I bet you we will get a full load.”

Just as Alesander finished telling us that, the boat stopped. Grandfather started to hand out fishing rods using crabs as bait. The boys were excited, the dads played it cool but I know they were just as excited.

It seemed that the line was in the water only a few minutes when Ronnie ’s line went taught. “Hold on to it Ronnie “

Alesander helped Ronnie to land the fish, grandfather had the hold open. It was a big fish, Colin took a photo. That seemed to have been a good omen in that just as Ronnie’s fish was placed in the hold, the boys began to catch fish. The Dads seemed to have no luck and then I caught on. The Dads didn’t have any bait on their lines. Grandfather’s smile told me that he will have a full load.

We fished until about 1 when we broke for lunch. Before we pulled in our lines, Alesandra took what looked like cages, cleaned a few fish adding the entails to the cages, then dropped them over the side of the boat.

The boys wanted to get back to fishing, but they needed to eat. They may have not noticed but I did watch them drop food over the side of the boat.

After lunch the boys continued to fish. I think the dads were more interested in helping the boys. Grandfather, told me to bring one of the cages up. At first I didn’t see anything and then I saw it was full of shrimp. It didn’t take grandfather long to dump the shrimp, add more bait and drop the cage back into the water.

I watched Grandfather take a few shrimp, peel away the front half leaving the tail section. They section he ate, smiling, “Good taste.”

Now the boys had to try, so Grandfather showed them how to clean them. They smacked their lips as they tasted their first raw shrimp.

Just before we were going to pull anchor, John’s rod almost bent in half. Grandfather and Alesander helped to land a bluefin tuna I estimated the weigh to be at least 90 lbs. From that moment on, we began to catch quite a few tuna of various sizes. It didn’t take long to fill the hold. The boys started to pull the cages up and they were loaded with shrimp and a few had lobsters. Now we couldn’t wait to go fishing tomorrow.

Arriving back at the dock, “Colin, take Alesander and go and see Marko. He’ll buy the shrimp and lobster, not sure about the tuna.”

Colin took some pictures and left with Alesander, Ronnie and Ivan. Tommy and Richie stayed and caught crabs from the wharf. The fishermen dropped the internals from cleaning the fish into the water for the crabs. That was were the fishermen got their bait, at least that is where Alesander’s grandfather got his bait.

The Dads and I helped to clean the fish. By the time Colin, Alesander and the boys came back, we had the largest fish cleaned. Some women stopped and picked out a fish. Alesander’s grandfather looked at us, since we paid for the fishing trip, theoretically the fish was ours. I nodded and he sold the fish after he cleaned it. There was no scale but I think Grandfather knew most of these people. I heard him charge one woman the price of two euros. That fish must have weighed at least 3 1/2 pounds. Grandfather offered the money to me, I told him to keep it.

Colin and the boys returned with Marko and Alesander. Alesander showed Marko the shrimp and lobster in the traps. He offered a price for them, Alesander looked at me, I saw his Grandfather looking at me and then the lobster and shrimp. “Alesander, if you think it is a fair price accept it.”

“Sir, if you buy some tuna, you can have the shrimp and lobster at your price. Notice how fat these shrimp are, they have eaten well.”

Marko looked at me, I was laughing.

He haggled a little with Alesander and then they came to an agreement. But Alesander had to deliver. I told him I’ll help him deliver. How we were going to do it, I had no idea. I was hoping Alesander knew someone who could deliver. He didn’t, but Grandfather knew some one who for a fee would deliver the fish. I made sure Alesander showed him where to go. I gave Alesander money to pay the driver after the fish were delivered.

We made arrangements with the Grandfather to take the boat out tomorrow. I gave him money to fuel the boat, saying good bye, we headed back to our hotel, I wanted to wash off the fish smell and check on our Moms and Marie.

“Boys, go to your room and take a shower, put your clothes on the floor, you’ll need to wear them tomorrow when we go fishing, again.”

‘Let’s get clean and dressed for dinner. Then we can check on the ladies.”

Forty five minutes later, we met downstairs. It was our turn to listen to the ladies as they told us about their tour.

Entering Marko’s restaurant, his brother had already set up our table. “I think Marco remembers us.”

This time I didn’t want the paella, the women and Colin ordered that, I wanted to taste some of the fish we caught.I told our waiter to give the boys what they wanted. I started to laugh, they had some of the paella and a piece of the tuna I had. They looked at me as I laughed, smiles all around. How could I have been so lucky.

 

Walking back to our hotel, “Dad, are you going swimming with us?” How could I say no.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 22
  • Love 32
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

15 minutes ago, scrubber6620 said:

Everyone has a great time fishing.  They caught many fish, shrimp and some lobsters. Armand helped Alesander sell and deliver the catch

Armand generously let the grandfather keep the profits from the sale of fish. They crew is going out tomorrow to fish.

The family went to the paella restaurant and were able to eat some of what they caught---fresh seafood is the best.

We did something similar while in Punta Secca Sicily , I made Cioppino for Supper that night 🐟🦐🦑🦞

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment

If Grandfather  could find a way to consistantly fill the tank he could go out to that spot all the time make money by taking clients out there.Maybe Armand and Colin could be silent partners

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Hello Cal , 

 I Started reading Arrow Saga on Sun Afternoon, Got to chapter 120 on Mon.  Very engaging storyline with the highs/ lows of a relationship & careers thrown in . I just wanted to say thank you for sharing this and all your other stories with us ,I did make a recommendation a few days ago as well . Look forward to all your future endeavors , Take care & Happy Holidays to You too 😃

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
On 11/16/2022 at 8:23 PM, weinerdog said:

If Grandfather  could find a way to consistantly fill the tank he could go out to that spot all the time make money by taking clients out there.Maybe Armand and Colin could be silent partners

 Or they can persuade Marco to offer Alesandro a job and make a deal with the grandfather to supply fish.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 11/16/2022 at 9:47 AM, mansexlover said:

Great chapter   loved that the granddads didn't put bait on their lines thus allowing the boys to catch the fish.

It was a great day for the guys. Grandads are like that, you know.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 11/16/2022 at 10:42 AM, scrubber6620 said:

Everyone has a great time fishing.  They caught many fish, shrimp and some lobsters. Armand helped Alesander sell and deliver the catch

Armand generously let the grandfather keep the profits from the sale of fish. They crew is going out tomorrow to fish.

The family went to the paella restaurant and were able to eat some of what they caught---fresh seafood is the best.

Fresh seafood has a taste that can't be had with fish that has been caught and frozen.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 11/16/2022 at 11:00 AM, JohnnyC said:

We did something similar while in Punta Secca Sicily , I made Cioppino for Supper that night 🐟🦐🦑🦞

The next time you go to Italy, let me know. If you make Cioppino again, send me some. Sounds like you had a great time.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 11/16/2022 at 12:52 PM, mikedup said:

Another great chapter, I really enjoyed reading about the antics of the boys while fishing, they certainly learned a lot, the grands really did their best helping and teaching the boys

Fishing for boys in a family setting seems to bind them in a special way. They will relive these days over and over and the fish will get bigger each time.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
On 11/16/2022 at 2:23 PM, weinerdog said:

If Grandfather  could find a way to consistantly fill the tank he could go out to that spot all the time make money by taking clients out there.Maybe Armand and Colin could be silent partners

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The problem with grandfather, he doesn't understand economics. His desire to be known as the guy who catches big fish rather than the guy who catches what can be sold. 

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 11/16/2022 at 3:03 PM, Anton_Cloche said:

Like an '💘Arrow' to the heart, this chapter makes you love this story more and more. 

Alesander gets surprise breakfast from Armand, but as 'Sander' puts 1/2 away for grandfather, (surreptitiously he thinks), Armand notices this act of kindness and generosity of a young boy, thinking of others. 

Going out further into better fishing grounds, thanks to a full tank of fuel paid for by Armand, they arrive at his Grandfather's secret 'spot'. As soon as 🎣fishing lines  are in the ocean, the harvest begins. And what a bountiful harvest it is: mackerel, cod, shrimp, a few lobsters and John's monster 90lb / 41kg Blue Fin Tuna 🐟 and a few more. But where to sell them? 

Wicked Tuna Fishing GIF by National Geographic Channel

OIP.G3InOH5iuzwwwJnj-E_LWAHaDx?w=166&h=8

Armand sends Colin and Alesander to Marko's restaurant, as he knows that seaside restaurants in Barcelona (and elsewhere) feature a 'catch of the day' / 'la pesca del día' on their nightly menu, both as a main course and in paella. Marko returns to buy most of the impressive 'catch' from Grandfather (and his 'partner' Alesander) who are likely to be his new main supplier. 

A great day at sea, with more planned for next day.

Guessing Marie and the grandmothers had a good day at the Gaudi Museum, and their shopping afterwards didn't feature any gaudy outfits. :whistle:

"Please sir, I want some more", as a line in Oliver seems appropriate for this story (and many of your other stories Cal,  @CLJobe). 

:thankyou: 🫂

A Gaudi tour with gaudy outfits, very good Tony.  A punster you are becoming. I wrote this chapter as I wished I had taken the time to do some of these things when I was in Europe. Business over ruled pleasure. My advice, take a day, if you are in Europe for business, and enjoy it  The Gaudi tour is a must for anyone going to Barcelona. You will marvel at the genius of Gaudi

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 11/17/2022 at 12:28 AM, JohnnyC said:

Hello Cal , 

 I Started reading Arrow Saga on Sun Afternoon, Got to chapter 120 on Mon.  Very engaging storyline with the highs/ lows of a relationship & careers thrown in . I just wanted to say thank you for sharing this and all your other stories with us ,I did make a recommendation a few days ago as well . Look forward to all your future endeavors , Take care & Happy Holidays to You too 😃

Thank you.  I'm glad you enjoy my stories. There are a few more chapters to go.  We must see how the new orphanage turns out.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 11/17/2022 at 4:54 PM, dutch woman said:

 

Grandfather could make money by giving the people what they want. Other fishermen make money by selling shrimp, lobster and small fish.  Grandfathers ego prevents him from making a living

  • Like 5
Link to comment
3 hours ago, CLJobe said:

The next time you go to Italy, let me know. If you make Cioppino again, send me some. Sounds like you had a great time.

I make it here in California all the time during Dungeness Crab Season ,Not costly for a Single Guy 🦀🦐🦑Happy Gone Fishing GIF by KQED

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
6 hours ago, CLJobe said:

A Gaudi tour with gaudy outfits, very good Tony.  A punster you are becoming. I wrote this chapter as I wished I had taken the time to do some of these things when I was in Europe. Business over ruled pleasure. My advice, take a day, if you are in Europe for business, and enjoy it  The Gaudi tour is a must for anyone going to Barcelona. You will marvel at the genius of Gaudi.

Thanks Cal:

My 'bucket' gets fuller as the 'list' gets longer. Unfortunately, it's beginning to look more like the 'Scales of Justice' (and most 'thinking' people see how skewed those ⚖️are). Imagine on one end of the scales a bucket marked 'want' and on the other, a bucket marked 'need'.

Care to hazard a guess which is more full?  Or how they change over time? 

Still, a trip worth taking! 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 11/19/2022 at 1:36 PM, JohnnyC said:

I make it here in California all the time during Dungeness Crab Season ,Not costly for a Single Guy 🦀🦐🦑Happy Gone Fishing GIF by KQED

The only seafood that I like better than Dungeness Crab is Sea Bass. But Dungeness Crab is a very close second!

Maybe if the grandfather would let Alesander start making the deals after they come in from fishing they may start turning their fishing business around. Give Marko the first refusal of the catch and sell the rest to another fresh seafood restaurant. On the days they charter out to sports fishermen that are looking for the large fish. Do that. on other days fish for what the restaurants want. So many of the charter guest only want the fishing experience, not the fish to keep. They will be making money both ways if that is the case.  

  • Love 3
Link to comment

Sometime @CLJobe I think you discriminate against female when it comes to fishing.  It was my mom, not dad that taught me how to fish.  Mom loved fishing and eating fish and seafood.  Dad was more of a beef and pork kind of guy.  I also love Dungeness Crabs having lived just north of @JohnnyC in Oregon.  My favorite fish however was different.  I love salmon, halibut and trout in that order.  Armand was brilliant in sending Alesander with Colin to see Marko.  Hopefully connecting Marko and Alesander's grandfather with bring business success for both of them.  I suggest they follow @Anton_Cloche' business plan.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..