Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,233 Words
  • 1,185 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 177. Chapter 177

Charles showed up in the morning with his son, Charlie. I had told Marie we would have company for breakfast so she had the griddle hot and ready to go.

As the boys came to breakfast, Marie made them pancakes with Peter’s pure maple syrup. She had sausage links for them to complement the pancakes. Some had milk and some had half & half milk and coffee. Peter came, took a small pancake wrapped a sausage in it, “Let’s go boys, can’t be late.”

I knew the next time we have pancakes and sausage the boys would do exactly what Peter did.

“Charles, do you still have the blueprints of Richie’s home?”

“Yes, we never throw away any of our blueprints. Why/‘

“We have some ground on the other beside of those trees behind us. I’d like to build that house there for Richie and his bride.”

“When can we see the lot?”

“Now, let’s go. Bring your coffee.”

The walk to the back lot was quick, I watched Charles as he looked the lot over. “Where did you have in mind?”

I pointed out the area I handing mind.

“This is a big lot, we will need to cut down some of these trees to get a driveway through here”

I didn’t like that. “How about moving the trees for a driveway?”

“You can do that.”

I knew who to contact to move those trees to make a driveway. I also need to make sure Colin will be in agreement.

“How soon do you want us to start?”

“As soon as possible.”

“Okay, get the trees moved so we can get our equipment into that area.”

Strange, dealing with Charles, money is never mentioned.

That evening I told Colin what I arranged for Ritchie and Anne Marie.

“Did Charles say he could do it in time?”

“Yes, but we need to move some trees to make a driveway.”

“This is your project. Check with that woman who planted those trees at the Home. She might know someone who could move those trees.”

 

David had his milkshake and a pancake. He rolled it up as Peter did, but it took him longer to eat it. Sitting there with David reminded me of getting a tutor for him. I’d speak to Ronnie to see if he has any suggestions. Until I talk with Ronnie, I had David do math problems and read one of the books Louise had. 3rd grade level. As I expected he whizzed through those books, so I gave him Tony’s books. He took a little longer on those books, it seems some of the stories he liked. Now I knew what to buy him for Christmas.

I wasn’t the only one who had a present for him. His dentist, Dr. Martinez’s office called. They wanted to see him and fit him with his new teeth. I also wanted him to see Dr. Stevenson while we were at Children’s Hospital. Our appointment with Dr. Stevenson was after David would have his teeth.

What a change in David. He now had a full set of teeth. He couldn’t stop smiling. Dr. Martinez did an excellent job. He kept smiling as we walked into Dr. Stevenson’s office. His nurse hugged David, “Are you the same undernourished young man that was here last month?”

That made David smile more as he nodded yes. The nurse told Dr. Stevenson he had a new client that needs to see him. Dr. Stevenson came out of his office, and introduced himself to David as if he was a new patient. David just laughed harder grabbing the doctor in a hug.

“David, I would never have known you if my nurse hadn’t told me. You have gained weight, have hair, (rubbed his hand through David’s short hair), and new teeth. I’d think we can discharge David. What do you think, David?”

David looked at me, and hugged the doctor. I thought he was going to be a hugger, not a hand shaker.

Leaving the doctor’s office we went to the hospital cafeteria. David was going to try out his new teeth. I got him a hamburger with fries, I got myself a coffee. “David, start with the fries and if that goes well then take a bite of your burger. I watched as he did that and then there was no stopping him. I sipped my coffee while he ate. The next stop was a pharmacy we needed to buy toothpaste, mouthwash, and a toothbrush.

Arriving home, he took his toothpaste and brush and went to clean his teeth. When he returned, he couldn’t stop smiling. Then he got tears in his eyes as he hugged me. A new boy stood before me, it was hard to realize what he looked like when Ronnie dumped him in my lap. He had put on weight, his hair was coming in and best of all he had teeth. I had a new son, but I needed to adopt him legally and for that I needed Tommy.

It was odd, Richie would be a lawyer and should handle David’s adoption but Tommy has the in to the judges.

That evening Colin and the boys made a big fuss over David. He couldn’t stop grinning.

“Colin, we need to adopt David. I’ll speak to Tommy and we can use Richie as our lawyer even though he hasn’t passed the board yet. What do you think?’

He just kissed me.

I knew he was stressed and hopefully, when Richie passes the board, Colin will get a break. I was a very lucky man.

The following day I spoke to Tommy, and he agreed to set up an adoption meeting. Now I needed to talk with David. He is old enough to make a decision concerning adoption. If he doesn’t want to be adopted, then I will abide by his decision but I will continue to treat him as my son.

“David, I need to talk to you. Come and sit with me. Pop and I would like to adopt you but you are old enough to have a say. If we adopt you, you’ll need a new last name and can choose that. Most of the boys have chosen a middle name that reflects their parents. If you decide you don’t want to be adopted, you will still live with us and we will continue to love and care for you. Nothing will change. I want you to think about this and give me your answer after you have thought about it.”

“I don’t have to think about it, look at what you have done for me. I was a stranger, Ronnie literally picked me up from the street. There was no question I was hurting, I guess I was dying. The care and love you all have shown me, I would never have expected. I haven’t forgotten being pushed away, falling to the ground, and Ronnie saving me. I realized if he hadn’t been there I’d probably would have died. I don’t need to think about being adopted, I would be proud to be Pop and your son.”

I looked at David, this was the first time he has talked about the day Ronnie found him. I was seeing a different David. He was coming out of his shell and I noticed when he stood, he was standing taller.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 19
  • Love 32
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Armand had a busy day.  He showed his love for Richie by arranging a home for Ritchie and Anne Marie to live after they marry.  Hopefully that will also benefit Colin having Richie settled and working with Colin.  Colin has a lot to do and doesn't get as much time with the family as Armand. David is a joy and I loved that he finally has teeth.  I could picture him chowing down on the hamburger smiling all the time.  He also seems to have passed  Dr. Stevenson's exam with flying colors.  I don't think Armand really needed to ask Colin about the adoption, since Colin loves David just as much as Armand does.  Colin loves Armand and always give Armand whatever he wishes.  I didn't think David would hesitate when he was asked and I was right.  

  • Love 4
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..