Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 2,530 Words
  • 7,193 Views
  • 17 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 159. Chapter 159

Carlo and Alicia arrived for their annual visit end of March, Carlos said this was his best time as they have the birthing of the lambs in late April. “We will have an increase this year over last year. We kept two of the young rams and they have been busy.”

When I asked him how business was going, he said they will be opening a new restaurant close to where the strain station is located. “With help from Alicia’s family, we are hopeful for success.”

I was glad for Carlo and his business enterprise. When I told Colin about his new restaurant, he said he knew about it. Carlos asked him for his opinion. “I told him he better make the place large because people will want to eat there instead of climbing the hill to his current place.”

 

While the older boys were still in school, I did arrange a trip to the museum in New York City for the boys and girls from the orphanage. I was glad we bought those school buses as the group has grown. Not only did we have all of the children, but we also had the cooks and those boys and girls who had reached the age of 18. When I mentioned it to Charles, he asked if his children could go with us. His children turned out to include his children's friends. We ended up taking the vans as well. I have to give Colin our kudos, he managed to arrange for parking close to the museum. Parking is always a problem in the city. There are parking lots but they are operated for profit. Colin’s old trick of offering free publicity is able to get parking lot owners to cooperate.

I asked him what would he do if he wasn’t able to get cooperation, he said he would drop off the children and drive back home returning when the kids were ready to go back home. I smiled as I knew some people would cancel the trip.

The college boys drove one of the vehicles, Richie came home for that weekend, Ronnie couldn’t make the trip and I missed him.

 

Ivan met with the farmer who was selling his farm. The farm wasn’t as large as the two other farms between the Home and this farm. The farmer said he had sold some of the acreages to a developer. “As I got older I found the farm was too large for me to handle, so I sold five acres to the developer. He was going to build a housing complex but he didn’t have the investors or money and he never did anything with the land. I thought of buying it back but I remembered why I sold it.”

Colin wanted to see the farm, and Ivan was glad to show him. The farm had a two-bedroom house on it. He had a chicken coop, a barn, an acre of grazing ground, and several acres of wheat, oats, and hay. There was a kitchen garden with vegetables used by them. In total there were 65 acres. At the furthest edge of the acreage were several apple trees.

“Ivan, why is he selling?”

‘His son doesn’t want to operate the farm. He has a degree and works for a company who have offices in the south. He wants his mom and dad to move in with him. That is all I know.”

“Do you know what he is asking for the farm?”

“When I asked him he said if he didn’t sell the farm as is, then he would break it down and sell it in acres. The farmer next to him said he would buy ia few acres at 500 per acre.”

“How many acres is the farm?”

“He said he had 60 areas he farmed and the buildings occupied about 5 acres. So I guess 65 acres.”

“He hasn’t quoted you a price?”

“No, you really want this place?”

“Pop, you know, Grandfather and I had always thought that one day, we would have a farm. He would talk about his farm in the old country. I would like to have a farm to complete his dream and provide a memory of his idea.”

“Okay, ask Mr. Liddel what he is asking for the farm. Knowing what we paid for the land the Home is built on, I have an idea of what this land would be worth. You ask him his price and then you and I will talk. How does that sound?”

“Great Pop.”

“Let’s go and tell your Dad. He will want to know.”

We left and drove home, walking Into the house, “Well did you buy him his farm?”

“Well, we talked about it.”

At this point, knowing what Ivan's goals were and knowing that if he bought the farm he would always be near us, I was ready to write a check.

“What does ‘we talked about it’ mean?”

“Ivan will ask the price the farmer is asking. Then we will talk about it, if his price is reasonable, he will buy the farm.”

Later that evening, “What did you really think about the farm?”

“It is just what Ivan needs. The boy is a farmer. He told me his grandfather always talked about having a farm. I guess it is in his blood. There’s a house on the property, it is only two bedrooms.”

“You have a number in your mind, what is it?”

Laughing, “Yes I do. Based on what we paid for the land that the Home is built on, I wouldn’t pay more than 45 thousand.”

“I think we should buy it regardless of its price.”

“You know your bank is getting smaller.” He was laughing.

I hadn’t checked with my banker lately. I think I’ll call tomorrow and check on the status of my accounts.

Falling asleep, I didn’t need to check with my banker. GG had the answer. According to her, I would lose one year's interest on my cash accounts and savings accounts. My stocks and bonds were doing well. I never told Colin the value of my accounts and I should. His name is on my accounts but he needs to have the account numbers.

The weekend after Carlos and his family left, we took the kids to the zoo. Again we had to use the vans, Charles drove one of the vans. Every time we go to the zoo, I am reminded of the first time. Mary Ann would remind me.

The zoo was always glad to see us, and again they had boxes of stuffed animals ready for us.

Do monkeys have memories? Again at lunchtime, this man had a monkey to entertain the kids. I sat down and the next thing I knew there was a monkey looking me in the face. The kids started to laugh and the monkey’s minder tried to get him away from me, didn’t work. So I had a guest for lunch. When we started to leave, I got a pat on the head, and the monkey jumped on the minder as he came to get the monkey.

“I don’t know why he does that. You are the only person he has acted that way. Our other guests, when we come in, he stays very close to me. Even if he is hungry he won’t take their food. I am sorry you didn’t get to eat your lunch. As we were leaving, the monkey was waving goodbye, the minder said that was what he was doing.

As we stopped at the gift shop, the children lined up with their selection. The first time was bears, this time it was monkeys. I laughed as they pretend they were me and their monkey was the one from the zoo. They were smiling and laughing. I think I was the only one who had moist eyes until I looked at Charles.

Going home the chatter was low, they weren’t sleeping but they were quiet,

Arriving at the Home, the cooks were busy making pre-dinner snacks. Charles and his group were going to leave but when he looked around, his group was intermingling with the children from the Home. Friendships were being developed. I told Charles to stay for dinner. He said he couldn’t because his wife was expecting him and his children. “Some of my group are their friends and their parents will be concerned.”

“When Charles told them it was time to go, you heard a lot of moans from his group. “Dad, can’t we stay?”

“Your mom said dinner is ready. Maybe next time we will plan on staying longer.”

That didn’t satisfy them but I knew they wouldn’t forget.

We were able to get a Goat’s practice game in. Again the owners treated the kids. “Your group has grown.”

“Not really, one of our sponsors has his children with us.”

So it became routine to include Charles’s kids in any group activities at the Home.

“Armand, I’m not sure we can continue to accompany you when you take the children on these tours. I several of my men have children and when we get together my boys tell them about going with you on your trips. I am being pressured to see if their children can be included. Rather than asking you, I think it will be better if my group doesn’t go.”

“How many children are you talking about?”

“I don’t know the exact about but I’d say 20 plus my children.”

“Our next trip will be late summer when we return from our vacation. I’ll let you know when and we probably should rent another bus. We have done that before we bought the two buses we have. Don’t let me forget but if we do something until school is out, I’ll let you know and you can let your men know. Anyone like fishing?”

“You’re kidding, there isn’t a boy alive who doesn’t like fishing.”

“I think Colin is planning on a fishing trip before summer school breaks and our vacation to Europe starts. I’ll let you know.”

That evening I told Colin about my discussion with Charles. He said he was thinking about getting another bus for the Home. Drivers were the problem.

“Not for summer when the boys are home.”

Over the next two weeks, we discussed the third bus. I told Charles Colin and I had decided to buy a third bus. He didn’t ask why, he knew the answer.

It was the week before we were going on vacation when Marie mentioned she would like to spend the summer in France. I told her she could leave with the kitchen staff and return with them. “If you want to come back sooner just change your flight and let my dad or Colin’s dad know to pick you up at the airport.”

Louise would stay with my mom and dad. Mary Ann wasn’t sure she wanted to go. She had friends at the Home. Tommy talked to Pat and they agreed she could stay there while we were on vacation.

Ronnie and Richie came home but Ronnie had a date when he would need to return to school. Worse case, he could fly home and one of the dads would pick him up.

The day before we were to leave, Ivan bought the farm from Mr. Liddel for the agreed price of 40,000 dollars. Colin’s lawyer handled the transaction since the family was leaving the next day.

The big day came, we would fly to Paris, spend a few days there, and then we would fly to Greece. We would fly to Italy from Greece, Paris for a late summer guest, and then home. Now if we can make it to the first flight, we would have it made. I think Colin and I were holding our breath.

Our dads dropped us off at the airport, the boys went into action. Roger was surprised as we casually followed. I had the young boys with me, let me correct that, I had Carl with me, and the other boys were with their older brothers. “They have done this before?”

“Yes, for the last several trips. It has made traveling easier for Colin and I.”

“The next time I need to travel, I’ll take one of your boys with me.” We were laughing, and Tommy ran to us, “We need Uncle Roger's passport and ticket.” Roger gave him his passport and ticket.

“Don’t worry, they need it to check your luggage through.”

Waking in to the terminal, the boys checked us in, returning Roger’s passport and ticket. “No seat assignment?”

“No, at the boarding gate.” We followed the boys, we being Roger, Carl, and I.

I have a habit when I travel. I have a briefcase filled with coloring pencils and paper. Waiting for a plane I like to sketch. It became a habit. I opened my case and I gave a sheet of paper to Carl with a pencil. He knew what I wanted him to do, Roger watched. He was good with straight lines, circles he needed a little more practice. We were sitting in a waiting room, “Carl, see that lady sitting at that desk? He nodded, "Draw the desk.” He smiled. I knew he could do it, it was mostly straight lines.

Roger and I watched as Carl applied himself to drawing the desk.

Unfortunately, Carl couldn’t finish before it was announced that our plane was ready for boarding. “Put your drawing away, you can finish it on the plane once we get airborne.”

Carl took a few minutes to study the desk, then he put his drawing away and followed the boys to the departure gate.

Carl didn’t realize it but Roger was testing him. However Carl had a secret, GG was watching and coaching him. Armand was watching and he remembered GG’s coaching when he was learning. To him, there was something Carl did that reminded him of GG.

As they board, the older boys took a younger boy with them. Roger and Armand sat together, Carl sat with Colin.

I noticed the boys were becoming quite accustomed to flying. The older boys were reading books, except Ivan, who was making a work list for his farm. “Dad, what do you think about getting a horse? I could teach the kids at the Home how to ride.”

“And how would the horse pay for itself?”

“I’ll paint him.”

“You need to work on your circles.”

“Ivan, if you want a horse, then you need to find a farm need not an amusement for the children. It seemed I remember reading a book that said every animal on a farm has to make a contribution to the bottom line. Chickens provide food, cows, and goats provide food, sheep provide wool, and I can’t think of anything a horse provides.”

“A horse provides fertilizer, Dad.”

“I think he has you on that one, Armand”

We laughed, I reached over my seat and gave Carl a hug. Our trip started off on a positive note. We were laughing and it was Carl who got us laughing.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 16
  • Love 28
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

A lot happening in this great chapter that lays foundation for everyone's futures. 

Spring visit from Carlo and Alicia was short but good. Museum and fishing 'day trips' for all the children are great, but Zoo trip? More fun than 'a barrel of monkeys' (okay that was bad 🐒).

Ivan bought a 65-acre farm, that with careful planning may supply The Home with produce, eggs, and possibly dairy, plus sales to local stores for income, that Colin (and lawyer / businessman-to-be Richie) will help with.

Summer sees most of the family heading back to Europe. Marie going home to France for a visit. 

Carl (and other family members) receive guidance and direction from their personal Guardian Angel - GG.  She will help Carl discover and develop his artistic talents as will proud Papa Armand.

* Still trying to work out symbol or image to represent Carl's CRR monogram; one easily drawn or painted onto artwork and frame if he follows GG's 🐦 and Armand's   .

Carl ROWe-Roberts could be a CROW (hard to draw, easily mistaken a raven). Perhaps  for Carl ROwe-RobertS aka 'cross'?

On with the adventure!

Edited by Anton_Cloche
  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..