Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,792 Words
  • 793 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 220. Chapter 220

I was in bed for about 30 minutes when Colin arrived with Geno and Angela. I heard them as they passed our bedroom door and then Colin entered our room. In a whisper, “Are you awake?”

“Yes, I was waiting for you. It takes me a while to fall asleep when you aren’t here.”

After his bathroom stop, Colin slipped into bed. “You missed the excitement tonight.”

“What excitement?”

“When James went over to make the paella, he asked the cooks to bring the shrimp up from the freezer. When they came up with only one box, he asked them where were the other boxes. The two girls started to cry and told him they had eaten the other boxes of shrimp. The one girl, Doris is her name , told James that Ann said the kids didn’t need the shrimp. James flew into a rage and sent Peter back to the club to bring all of the shrimp that was there. Then he asked for the lobster, they were five lobster short. When Peter showed up with the shrimp. He sent him back for the lobster. Mary, one of the cooks from the old place, told him that this cook, Ann. said the kids didn’t need this food. Then James found out that breakfast was boxed cereals. He got one of the waste containers, checked the cabinets, and threw all of the box cereals into the container. He then set them out for garbage collection. Angela went and told Pepe who told Tommy. According to Mary, Ann was called into the office. In the meantime, James searched her room and found two boxes of shrimp and a lobster tail in her refrigerator.”

“What happened in the office? Is this Ann still there?”

“I stayed away until the police arrived.”

“Why the police?”

“According to Pepe when Tommy found out about the boxes of cereals, he checked the grocery bills. There weren’t any boxed cereals listed. However, there were some costly cuts of meat. Tommy called the store and asked if they carried, I think he asked for Wheaties, The store said they had them and gave him the price. Then he asked about baby back ribs. The owner said they didn’t carry that but could order it. That was when Tommy called the police. They arrested Ann. Tommy was in a rage and they could hear him in the kitchen. Pepe said he ran to the kitchen and asked Doris and Judy to show him the meat that was on the grocery bill. They said the only meat they had was hotdogs that I brought and chicken, Pepe went downstairs to check the freezer and there were hot dogs, ground beef, and chicken, whole and parts.”

“What did Angela say?”

“She said she was glad they arrested Ann. She was always saying the kids didn’t need all of this fancy food.”

“So we are now one cook short.”

“Mary and Clara said they would over look and teach the girls.”

“I remember Pat hiring those cooks. Initially, they were working out just fine.”

“James said he would check the kitchen on a spot basis. Pepe said he and Tommy will start having breakfast with the kids on a spot basis.”

“I think I’ll ask Angela to keep an eye on things. Charles has been assigned soup chef for the Home.”

“You need to get him a driver’s license and car. He is old enough.”

A kiss goodnight and Colin fell asleep, rather quickly I thought.

I couldn’t sleep and then I heard the rocking chair. Looking at GG, “Go to sleep, my son, don’t worry.”

For some reason, those words worked. I believe that it will all be worked out. I closed my eyes and the next thing I knew I was being awakened with a cup of coffee.

Breakfast, fried eggs, toast, orange juice, and coffee or milk. Some of the boys took both.

It seemed like the boys were finished eating leaving Pierre and I to clean up. Their rides to school came and a quiet descended on the house. Until Roger and Jean arrived. I told them to sit and have something to eat. “Charles will have the wood to crate the painting at the gallery at 11 this morning. So eat.”

Colin called and said the private plane is scheduled for a 10 p.m. take-off.

I think they gulped their food down. Walking to the gallery, Roger commented on supper last night at the Home. Jean wanted to know if we did that every week. I told him that was the first.

Going in the back door, Roger went to the room where Mary crated the paintings for shipment. I realized she would need help, not only for this painting but for the others as well. Mary could handle the promotion and sales but she needed help getting the paintings crated for shipping. I knew who to ask to get help, Roger. But it wasn’t/t Raoger who helped it was Charley. He recommended the boys who lived at the Home that worked for him. I thought about that and if Mary would supervise, it would solve the problem. I made a note to talk with the boys the next time I was at the Home,

With the painting crated for shipment, Jean wanted to leave right then. He had about 9 hours to wait. He must have asked at least ten times if it was time to leave. For a 10 PM flight, we would leave a little before 8. Dinner at the club at 6 they left at 7. Ronnie went with them to keep Colin company on the way back. I don’t know what Jean would do if that painting was destroyed or damaged. Roger said he would send photos of it being hung.

 

Arriving back home, the boys had homework to do. I was wondering how Tommy and Pat were doing. As if someone read my mind, Colin called. “I spoke to Pepe and he said peace rules at the Home. The cooks are listening to Angela, Mary, and Clara. I’m not sure if we are going to stay the night or come home.”

“Stay the night. Get a good night's rest and leave in the morning. You’ll be driving against the traffic in New York but with the traffic when you get into Connecticut. So get a good rest and you can catch me up tomorrow.

I no sooner hung up when the phone rang. It was Christian supposedly checking on Pierre. The reason was he wouldn’t be able to visit until sometime in the spring. I took this opportunity to tell him I was adopting Pierre. He wasn’t happy and when I told him I needed his financial information. He wasn’t happy. “Christian, your dad wanted you to adopt him and you said no. What is the child supposed to do? Wander from relative to relative? I am surprised your dad didn’t tell you that when you said no I was the only one to take him. I think he knew something. The way he acted when he thought he lost his passport should have told you something.”

“I won’t be able to pull together a financial analysis until next year.”

“That is okay. He won’t need anything but I want to make sure he knows.”

Saying goodbye, and hanging up, I heard, “Was that Christian?”

“Yes, he won’t be able to come over until next year.”

“Did you tell him about me being adopted?”

“Yes, I don’t think he was happy. Are you happy about being adopted?”

Saying yes, he took off only to return with a peanut. Cracking it, he gave me one peanut and he ate the other.

Sitting next to me on the sofa, I put my arm around him. “Dad, will I go to school?”

“Yes, with your brothers.”

“I don’t speak English very well.’

“I’ll get you a tutor to help you to learn English. When you have learned enough, then you will start school.”

Sitting there I went back to my reading. I knew there was more coming.

We sat there for a short while when, “Dad, what’s adoption like?”

“Thursday morning we will go to see the tailor where you and Charles will try on suits. You will dress in your new suit and new shoes. Then we’ll go to the courthouse and wait in a special room. Richie will come in and tell us the judge is ready to see us. We follow Richie into the courtroom, and a man will announce the judge, We will stand until the judge sits down. The judge says some words then he calls you into his office with Richie.”

“Why does he call me into his office?”

“He needs to be sure you want to be adopted, Pop and I aren’t there so anything you say will be between you and the judge. Richie is there as your lawyer and he cannot tell us what you say or the judge’s comments.”

“What happens if I don’t want to be adopted?”

“You will stay with Pop and me until Christian comes to take you back to France. Then I’ll see you when I visit Paris,”

“Grandfather told me I have some money and property in France. What happens with that?”

“That is your money and property and will stay that way until you are 21.”

He went and got another peanut.

That night I told Colin about our conversation.

“I would expect him to have some concerns.”

“When I told Christian he didn’t like it. I told him his father wanted him to become Pierre’s guardian but he turned it down.”

“I imagine he wasn’t happy.”

“He mentioned that Pierre had some money and property. I told him I wanted a listing and annual reports. I suspected any wealth his mother had Arnaud managed.”

“Does Pierre know that?”

“Yes, we talked about it and I told him it was his and he can claim it when he is twenty-one.”

“Wasn’t he supposed to make a trip over?”

“Yes, he said it won’t be for a while.”

“Uncle Heni will be disappointed. Wasn’t he next in line to have Pierre?”

“Arnaud won’t let that happen. I think that is why he wanted Christian to step up to the plate. When he didn’t, we were next.”

I don’t think Colin heard me, he was lightly snoring. Someone else heard me, GG.

Sitting in her rocker, she smiled. Bringing Arnaud to me, he smiled and gave me a nod. I knew I read him right and I would be Pierre’s new father. With knowing I had GG and Arnaud’s blessings I fell into a deep sleep.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 13
  • Love 27
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

6 hours ago, CLJobe said:

When she was first hired, she didn't exhibit these tendencies. I think when they started to bring the fish to the Home she began to divert. I would bet if Tommy dug into her buying habits with her grocer, he would have seen she was selling some of the fish to him. 

Perhaps Pat's routine may have seen her supervising the kitchen a bit more (or just differently than Tommy) and with Pat gone, Ann took advantage of an opportunity to 'dip' her fingers?

🫂 

Ps: Cal I haven't ignored or overlooked a couple of comments (queries) you made. Just a little sidetracked, but will rectify that. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..