Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,449 Words
  • 1,257 Views
  • 15 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 124. Chapter 124

Morning came and so did the boys. You would have thought this was the first time they had gone fishing. I wonder how they acted when Colin took the boys and those from the orphanage fishing. “Did the boys act this excited when you took them fishing at home?”

“No, but I think they are excited here because of the captain and they have the opportunity of catching some big fish. I didn’t use the traps that Grandfather is using. We weren’t after shrimp or lobster. The next time I take the boys out, I’ll use traps.”

“We may have to buy a fishing boat like this.”

I saw the glimmer in Colin’s eyes. I knew we would have a fishing boat at home.

We met for breakfast, the ladies were going to stay at the hotel, so they said. I knew better, it will be either tours or shopping, perhaps both.

Getting our lunches from the hotel chef, we began the walk to the dock. We were running a little later than when we rented the boat earlier. The boys got excited thinking the boat has left without us. I knew that wasn’t going happen.

As we approached the board walk, the boys saw Grandfather and the boat. One look at us, and they were off. I knew now without a doubt Colin would buy a small fishing boat. “What are you going to name it?”

He looked at me as if I was crazy, “Name what?”

“The fishing boat you are buying.”

“I need to talk to GG, she isn’t suppose to be telling you these things.”

I laughed, “I didn’t need GG to tell me that. I watched you when we are on Grandfather’s boat. I’ll bet you could tell me where every nail and screw are.” That was an exaggeration and I knew it.

"Would you be upset if I bought a fishing boat like this?”

“No, I’d be happy as long as you didn’t name it after me.”

We were laughing when we reached Grandfather’s boat. As expected the boys wanted to know why we were laughing. Carlos told them that Pop was buying a fishing boat like this. That did it, how big will the boat be, can we learn to steer it. I knew by the time we reached the hotel for the night, Pop would be buying a yacht.

The truth is, I did enjoying fishing with the boys and Colin. The smiles when the boys caught a fish would be worth every cent paid for a boat. As I was watching the boys and thinking about a boat at home, the more excited I got. If Colin wouldn’t buy a boat, I would.

Reaching Grandfather’s spot, the fishing began. Ivan got the traps ready and I helped him to put them over the side. Then he picked up his fishing rod, Grandfather baited it for him, and he was all smiles as he dropped his line over the railing.

I offered 5 dollars, US money, to the first fish caught, Colin offered 10 dollars to whoever caught the biggest fish. I don’t think the money was important to the boys as much as the praise they would receive from their brothers.

As the boys started to catch fish, they asked us to keep tract of the fish and size. That was okay by me, Carlos used my rod and reel. The first fish was caught by Tommy, is was a small tuna. That started everyone catching fish. It seemed that the boys hit a shoal of fish. Grandfather was glad to see the boys catching fish but I saw a disappointment when none of the fish caught met his desire to catch a large tuna.

We broke for lunch. Ivan pulled the traps and they were full of shrimp but no lobster. Colin’s dad, took one of the traps, broke some shrimp up into two large pieces, baited the trap with these pieces and told Ivan to drop the trap. The discussion over lunch was the boat Colin was buying. I caught the ‘was buying’ and not a ‘maybe’ would buy. If Colin didn’t want to buy a boat, to late now. The question who was going with Colin when he picked up his boat.

I looked at Colin when he realized that buying a boat wasn’t an idea. The boys decided they would go with him to pick it up the day we got home. The expression on his face caused me to laugh. A hug told him I was okay with the idea and timing.

Lunch over back to fishing. Ivan pulled up the trap Dad had baited for him, he was smiling he had lobster. Now all traps were baited with shrimp. I’m not sure Grandfather was pleased. I knew Marko would take all of the lobster which meant money in the pocket. We continued to fish when I saw Ronnie being pulled toward the edge of the boat. I grabbed him, Grandfather got excited, Ronnie had to have a large fish on his line. Our dads started to help Ronnie and soon a large tuna was close enough to the surface to be seen. Grandfather was happy, he had his large tuna.

The boys caught several smaller tuna but Ronnie’s tuna got the prize. I now understood why Grandfather wasn’t making any money from his fishing. Large tuna can only be sold if cut into salable pieces. The tuna that Ronnie caught could be bought by a large hotel and even then, most of it would have to be frozen. Grandfather had his priorities all wrong. His desire to be known as the captain who caught the biggest fish wasn’t paying off. I wondered what he did before when he caught a large fish. Unless he let it rot, he would have to sell it at a low price or give it away. My guess was what ever he made on selling, it was less than what it cost him to operate the boat. The other fishermen went after shrimp and lobster, which they sold and not only covered their costs, but also made a little money.

On the way back to our hotel, Carlos wanted to know why the captain wasn’t making any money. That led to our discussion about pride.

I noticed the boys listening and I knew this discussion wasn’t over.

“So because he wants to be known as the only fishermen who catches large fish he starves. That is foolish thinking and that is also the road to poverty. I’d be out of business if I employed that philosophy.”

“Someone told me that if you have a winning strategy only a fool would deviate.”

I thought about that. Grandfather has let pride get in his way while the other fishermen have a strategy that permits them to make a living. I wonder what Alesander thinks and what his strategy would be.

Arriving at our hotel I told the boys to take a shower and to put their dirty clothes in the hamper provided by the hotel. I didn’t tell them but I think today will be our last fishing trip.

All showered and dressed for dinner, we had to wait for Carlos. He was checking on Alicia.

“How is Alicia doing?”

“She is okay but misses me.”

“And you miss her. Maybe we will be back in the future and you and your family can join us.”

“I plan on taking the train back in the morning.”

“Let us know when you are leaving and we will walk to the train station with you.”

“Dad, we going back to the paella place?”

“I don’t know, let’s see what the women want do.”

That was all I need to say, the boys asked the women. At first they said no but the boys took over and we went back to Marko’s. Before we left, Carlos spoke to Marko who gave him a copy of the recipe for paella. “Wait until Alicia tastes this.” He was all smiles.

In the morning we had crepes in the kitchen. It cost me a tuna for this privilege. After we had eaten, we walked Carlos to the train station and waited there until his train came. I knew that Colin invited him and his family to visit us in the States.

Waving goodbye, I wished that Alicia was able to join us.

Walking back to the hotel, the boys wanted to know what we were going to be doing today.

“Today, we were going to visit the Ciutat Vella (the old city). But first, we have to have coffee with the Grands and Marie.”

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 27
  • Love 23
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Quote

If Colin wouldn’t buy a boat, I would.

By the time they get back to the hotel it will be too late.  Colin will have already arranged to buy the boat, fully equipped it and and have it ready for a fishing trip when you step off the plane, Armand.  It think it should be named "Arrowmatic".  Armand says and Colin automatically fulfills his the wish. Technically Arrow isn't Armands name, just his pseudonym.

Edited by raven1
  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..