Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,014 Words
  • 698 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 228. Chapter 228

With Roger’s passing, I realized that not only were we getting old but our family was getting old as well.. I didn’t like that, Mary was 25 years older than Colin, and mom and dad were of the same generation as Mary. Marie was ten years younger than Mary. Pat was a few years younger than Mary. When Carl got his bachelor’s degree in art, he and Carla got married. We chuckled at their wedding when he said he could now paint her in the nude. I asked him to move in with my mom and dad, Carla went to help Mary at the gallery.

I remember the dinner we had at the club with Mary and Marie. She said something I thought was strange. We were talking about our summer vacations in Europe. Mary asked if we missed it.

“Yes in a way. A lot of the people we visited are no longer with us. But the memories still exist.”

“Do you remember our trip to Paris and Colin and John had to return? We stayed there, I miss John.”

“We all do. Mom/“

There was something in her voice that didn’t sound right. That evening I told Marie to keep a close eye on her.

Two months later, Marie called. She was hysterical, “Armand, come quickly. I can’t wake Mary.”

I rushed to Mary’s apartment to find Marie crying. “I can’t wake her.”

I checked for a pulse and there wasn’t any. I called Colin and told him to meet me at the gallery.

“What’s the matter? Why are you crying?”

“Colin, your mother is with your dad.” How do you tell your best friend and husband his mother is no longer on earth? I watched as he processed what I said. I hugged him as his tears were absorbed by my shirt.

I walked with him to Mary’s apartment. Marie was still there, crying. I told her to call the boys.

We sat beside her bed, Colin held her hand as he cried.

Ronnie was the first to arrive, he took charge.

I took Colin home.

Three hours later Ronnie showed up. He brought us up to date. Arrangements would be made for her interment next to John. Colin was very upset. I thanked Ronnie for taking care of the arrangements. Now I had something else to worry about. My mom and dad were Mary’s generation.

The viewing was held at the funeral home. It seemed so impersonal, no one had said anything about her life and what impact on their lives. I started to tell stories then the boys, with tears in their eyes spoke about her. Tommy told about how she comforted him when he would visit the gallery. All of our boys had some remembrance of her that they shared. She was loved and even with tears in his eyes, Colin smiled as he remembered her from the boy's stories.

For the next several weeks, Colin would stop at the golf club. Ronnie said he would sit at the memorial.

Acceptance is hard but GG brought John and Mary to Colin. I always knew when she did that. He would wake from his sleep with a smile. In time, we become ourselves again. Losing a parent and being the only child, brings life and the realization we do not live forever. I was aware that I would also have to face the loss of my parents.

 

Six months after Mary passed to be with John, Tommy called. “Dad, come quick we can’t wake Pat.”

I called and told Colin, he said he would meet me at the Home.

Arriving at the Home, Tommy met me in the kitchen. “Where is she?”

“In her apartment.”

I rushed to her apartment and she was in bed. Pepe was there and holding her hand. “Dad, there isn’t any pulse and she is cold.”

I knew she was with GG, Roger, and Mary. Colin rushed in, he took one look, with tears he went and phoned the police. Pat had left us. I hated getting old, all of our friends were leaving us behind

Pat was placed next to Roger. Carl had painted an angel on Roger’s bed. Now he would need another on Pat’s bed.

There was a gloom that hung over the Home. Aunt Pat went to join the Angel.

I started to paint a picture of Pat. I remember her from the original orphanage and that is how I painted her.

Her portrait was hung in the living room over the fireplace. I noticed the young children would stop, look at the portrait, and say. “We miss you, Aunt Pat.”

 

Life goes on but the ache in your heart never goes away. In some ways, I was lucky. GG would give me glances of these loved ones and I knew they were happy. But even with GG, there was a pain from missing them. Little things kept reminding me of them, a critique of a painting and I would reflect on something Roger would say or Jean about a new artist. Pierre was a constant reminder of Arnaud. Someone would make a comment which would bring back a memory.

I have concluded. Life ends on earth but continues with the Angels. They will be with you forever until you join them. Little things which didn’t mean much when they occurred, now became important.

I had no siblings, if something happened to my mom or dad, I would be devastated. I realized that is how Colin must feel. I started to spend more time with him. I’d go to the club with him. Stopping at the office, sitting in the roof garden with our coffee, reminiscing about our time together. I wanted to be a young man again with Colin by my side.

Small things became important. I would look at him remembering the times when we were first married. Remembering his excitement on our first trip to Europe. I decided if Colin was taken from me, I would find a way to join him.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
  • Love 9
  • Wow 2
  • Sad 20
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 11/2/2023 at 7:56 PM, drsawzall said:

Years ago, when walking through an old graveyard with a boyfriend who was interested in the craftsmanship of the headstones, I noticed an inscription that has stuck with me through the years...

As you are...so once was I

As I am...so must you be

So prepare for death and follow me

That is very appropriate for Armand and Colin. As they get older, death becomes a liability for them

  • Love 3
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
On 11/2/2023 at 11:02 PM, Anton_Cloche said:

This is a difficult chapter to read @CLJobe , as it no doubt was to write.

The first paragraph started serious, then added some cheer with news of Carl graduating with B.Arts degree and marrying Carla. Then the other shoe dropped.

Endings are so difficult, regardless of age. Devastating if young and with little or no warning, as it was for each of Armand and Colin's children, starting with Tommy, Ronnie, Richie and Ivan. Difficult when you've known someone for years, and you see / sense the end coming and nothing you can do to stop it.

Those on the 'sunny' side of 50 (?) think they have all the time in the world. Those on the 'shady' side may try to plan, but long for more time.

I worried when Armand thought to himself:

"... sitting in the roof garden with our coffee, reminiscing about our time together. I wanted to be a young man again with Colin by my side; ...remembering ... when we were first married; ... our first trip to Europe. I decided if Colin was taken from me, I would find a way to join him" 😰.

Armand and Colin are depressed, but Armand perhaps worse. The boys, now in their mid-30s (?) do their best to help and comfort. They will need to do more while they still can.

Cal, you said: "Normally I would end a story with "THEY LIVED HAPPILY FOREVER" But not this story. I have taken from Armand's childhood, through school, and as an adult. Now as a senior citizen, he must face old age".

All I can add is, "A life well lived."

🫂

You know I am older than Armand in my story. So I also have seen friends, and family pass on. The sadness is knowing you will pass on and in doing that you will cause hurt.  

  • Love 3
  • Sad 1
Link to comment

Growing older, I have accepted death as inevitable and I refuse to worry about it.  It will happen.  The only thing I worry about now is how to make my own death less of a problem for those who survive me.  I think both Colin and Armand need to make plans for that.  I do wonder if any of the boys will have the same relationship with GG as Armand has with her.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..