Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 2,872 Words
  • 1,360 Views
  • 15 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 147. Chapter 147

Arriving Paris, the older boys took over. We took three taxis to our hotel. Arriving and checking in, the desk clerk recognized us and welcomed us back. I paid for three days, Marie and the girls had one room, the older boys had a suite, the younger boys had a room close to Colin and I and Roger had a room across from us. Checking everything , I thought we would be comfortable for the few days we would be here.

The older boys wanted to check out Paris, the younger boys wanted to take a nap. I convinced the older boys to take the younger boys to see the Eiffel Tower. I asked Richie to make arrangements for lunch at the Tower for all of us.

I wanted to spend some time with Jean and Arnaud. I knew they knew we were arriving today so it wasn’t a surprise when Colin, Marie and the girls and I met them in the hotel dining room. As soon as they saw us, we were engulfed in arms.

“I told Jean you would be staying here.”

“You’re lucky they had room for us.”

“Where are the boys?”

“They took a walk to the Eiffel Tower. I asked them to make arrangements for lunch tomorrow. How abut the two of you joining us?”

“Sure but you need to spend some time at my home. Christen wants to see you and Colin.”

I knew why, he finally opened his wedding gift.

“Armand, I’m going to take the girls to our room. They are tired and didn’t sleep much on the plane.”

“You hadn’t told us you adopted more children.”

“Who told you?”

“I did.”

“Laughing, So you two have a spy among us. It’s okay Roger. I forget at times so it is well that you keep our French friends in the know. I have been relaxing and enjoying my new family. Colin has always said that I am remiss a lot. He swears I even forget him at times.” That got me a punch on the arm.

“I don’t understand how he does it but he goes somewhere in his mind and forgets everything. But, I’d have it no other way.”

“So tell us about your new family.”

Before I could answer. “I’ll tell you. There are 4 boys that idolize Armand and two girls, that you saw earlier. Did you recognize any of the girls, Jean?.”

“No I didn’t except there was something about the youngest girl. Something in her eyes.”

“She is the model for my painting that is now in the States. When I made up my mind, with Colin’s concurrence, I couldn’t leave her behind. I couldn’t abandon her again.”

“I look forward to meeting your new family. How about having dinner at my home tomorrow night. Say at 7 and bring your family. I’m sure Christin and Marie Therese would love to see you and to thank you for the wedding gift.”

“Ok, Roger, okay with you?”

“Yes, that will be fine. I need to meet with these guys before returning home.”

Just as I was about to excuse myself, the boys returned. “See, I told you they would be here.”

The older boys greeted Jean and Arnaud. The younger boys were next to me, Toby was on my lap, along with John. Louis and Anthony were holding on my arms.

Arnaud was fascinated, I remember his reaction to Richie. Arnaud spoke to them in French. The boys didn’t know what he said. They looked at me, I winked at them.

“Unlike the older boys, these boys only speak English. The next time you meet, they will know some French and eventually they will catch up to the older boys. For now, I’m glad they speak at all.”

Arnaud and Jean caught on quickly. I think Roger may have briefed them. “Gentlemen, I think it’s time for some young boys to head to bed. Busy day tomorrow. Jean, I’ll be over after breakfast and don’t forget you both are invited to lunch at the Eiffel Tower at 12 noon.

Heading to bed, I realized that the young boys couldn’t sleep by themselves. Only one answer, I would sleep with two in one room and Colin would sleep with two in one room. That didn’t work, all four slept with me and Colin had a room to himself.

In the morning, the older boys led us to the crepe shop behind the hotel. I watched, the seating was interesting. Between each of the older boy was a younger boy. I had Louise on my lap and Mary Ann sat between Maria and me. Roger sat at the head and Colin sat at the foot. The waiter came for our order, Richie handled that.

I remember the first time we came here, it ended with me buying several crepe girdles. The food this time was just as good as the first time we were here. “I couldn’t understand why you had that crepe machine in your home, now I do.”

“For Christmas this year I’ll buy you one.”

“No, I’ll come to your house when I want a crepe.” We laughed.

“You are always welcome.”

I watched the younger boys eat their crepes. Toby looked at me and rubbed his stomach. “Is it good Toby?” I waited.

Looking at me, I smiled, “Yes, Dad it’s good. Can we have these at home.”

I smiled, reached and kissed him on the cheek. This was the first time he spoke to me at a table. I looked at Colin, he had a big smile on his face. Tommy, got up and patted Toby on the back. The older boys bumped fists with Toby. I had a feeling Toby would be a chatter box from now on.

Marie wanted to go home and she said she would take Mary Ann with her. I had arranged for her to return with Roger but that would be next week. Louise would come with us and she will return with Colin when we arrive in Italy.

After breakfast, Marie went and packed for her and Mary Ann. I took them to the train station while the boys went to the Arch de Triumph, I would meet them at the Louvre. Roger came with me, after buying a French newspaper.

“My French isn’t as good as yours, can you check this newspaper for any news on the show at MoMa?”

I quickly glanced at the sections and found the section on arts, which included all forms of art. “There isn’t anything here on MoMa. We may need an English newspaper. After Marie leaves we can check with other news stands, Jean may have something.”

I gave Marie her tickets, “When you are ready to go home, call me and I’ll make the arrangements. Colin will be going back with Louise within a day upon on arrival in Italy. If you are ready, you can go back with him or maybe with Roger. Just call when you are ready and I’ll make sure you won’t have to travel alone.”

A hug, a kiss on Mary Ann’s cheeks, with a hug. I watched as they boarded the train. Before heading to the Louvre, I called Marcel to tell him Marie was heading down.

“I told the boys we would meet them at the Louvre. Then we can go and walk to the Tower for lunch.”

The walk to the Louvre wasn’t far. On the way we chatted about my next painting destined for the Louvre. I laughed, “I’ll let you choose the one and you can talk Jean into buying it. I’ll give you a commission.”

There are times when we say things in jest or with some truth, this was one of those type of comments. It wasn’t until 2 years later when this comment would come back to me.

There is always one problem at the Louvre, I always seem to run into friends. This time was no different. “Roger, do you see those two guys sitting there copying that painting? They are students and if they see me, they will want to have a glass of wine with me. The problem is that it isn’t just one glass but several bottles.”

“Here comes Jean, he and I will help you. One glass of wine should be enough.”

“Roger, Armand I wonder when you would get here. Where are the boys?”

“They will be here soon, Louise is with Colin and I think that they are entering now. The boys…” Before I could say anything more, 8 boys entered the museum. Now there was enough noise and commotions that the two art students saw us and recognized me.

“Armand, is that you?” I have often wondered how intelligent people could state the obvious as a question.

I had forgotten that Richie and Tommy had met these boys. Now there wasn’t any questions who I was. I gave Ronny some money, “Ronnie, take these budding artists to the cafe and buy them a glass of wine.” I knew my boys would have a glass as well.

“Richie, remember lunch at the Tower.”

“Jean, any new paintings?”

“Yes, you remember several years ago I told you Arnaud found a painter that painted as Michelangelo. I have one of his paintings. I’d like to hear you comments.”

I followed Jean to the gallery next to the one the students were copying. “This is his painting. Arnaud bought it for his collection and allowed me to show it.”

I looked at the painting, I could see why Arnaud bought it. The painting was a man against a back ground of cubism. The man was painted in the classic style of

Michelangelo but the cubism background reminded me of Picasso.

“Do you want my honest opinion ?”

“Yes, of course. I wouldn’t have shown it to you if I didn’t want your opinion.”

I looked at Roger, he was smiling. I think he already knew what my opinion would be.

“This artist is talented but confused. He has combined two different styles and as such, this painting, in my opinion, has been lessen in value. He has talent as this painting of this man is showing. But to combine cubism on the same frame does not add value to the painting. I don’t understand what his motive was in combining the two styles.”

“Roger, what do you think.”

“What is that saying, you can’t please all the people all the time. I think that is what he is tryin to do. Someone told him that if he painted like this he would increase his popularity and his income.”

“Motivation based on income is wrong. He has talent and I would like to see him focus on the Masters rather than the style of Picasso and Dali.”

“Maybe you should meet him.”

“I would like to meet him but I may not have time this trip. Give me his contact information and I’ll see if I can find some time for a visit. If you do see him, feel free to pass on my comments, for what they re worth. Maybe while Roger is here, Arnaud and you can go and see him. What do you think Roger?”

“Yes, let’s see if we can arrange that Jean.”

“I think we better save the boys and start our walk to the Tower.”

Walking to the cafe where the boys and the two art students were drinking wine. I noticed the younger boys had a small glass. “Toby, are you drinking wine?”

Richie said it’s grape juice. Now the theatrics, “Dad, we told them they were too young and they would get drunk. You and Pop would be mad.”

“Okay, let’s see them walk a straight line.”

And of course the older boys whispered something to them, they couldn’t walk a straight line. Stumbling,. Bumping into me, pretending they were drunk. I caught them, a tickle and a hug, they became sober.

I took Louise from Colin, he had carried her since breakfast. Saying goodbye to the students, we began our walk to the Eiffel Tower.

We arrived a little early, again the older boys took the young boys to pick out a souvenir. I watched remembering how our boys selected their souvenir the first time we were here. Richie picked up one of the globes with the Tower image. When you shook the globe, white particles filled the globe. I watched Louise as she held the globe. Then she dropped it. Glass all over the sidewalk. The shop owner came and swept up the glass. “Dad, I’m sorry.”

“That is okay Richie. See if there is anything else, if not that will be okay.”

We took the elevator to the restaurant. We were 15 minutes late but since we had reservations, there wasn’t a problem seating us. I held Louise on my lap while we ate. Again the older boys alternating with the younger boys.

Lunch at the Tower is always first rate. I noticed Roger enjoyed it as they served the sea bass in a sea salt crust. It was accompanied by mixed greens.

“This is delicious. I wonder if we could get the recipe?”

“For you I’ll ask Marcel if he can get you the recipe. I may even ask him to make it for us when we are back home.”

“Dad, maybe he can make it with the fish we catch.”

“That’s a great idea.”

After lunch, we went and watched the boats on the Seine. Seeing the younger boys tossing small stones in the water reminded me of the older boys the first time we were here. I think boys are wired, they all like to toss stones in the river or any pond regardless of age, watching the older boys tossing stones as well.

Jean, Arnaud had to leave, Roger went with them. The rest of us started to walk back to the hotel.

“Dad, let’s stop and see Madame Lavigne. If she knows we were here and didn’t stop to see her, she might be upset.”

“Good idea. Colin, we need to buy some wine.”

We stopped at the patisserie and bought three bottles of her favorite wine. I believe boys are wire. Just like the older boys, there were now eight boys checking out the sweets.

With our wine, we knocked on Madame Lavigne’s door. It took her some time to come and open it. When she saw Colin and I, her face lit up in a smile.

“Armand, Colin, what a surprised. Who are these young gentlemen.” Of course this was all said in French. The older boys answered her and introduced the younger boys explaining they didn’t know French, yet.

She made a big fuss over Louise, who put her face in my shoulder.

We spent a little over an hour with Madame Lavigne. The older boys offered her an invitation to visit us in the States. “Madame, we need you to help us to teach out brothers and sisters French. We’ll come and bring you to our home.”

I looked at Colin, he smiled. “I think that would be a great idea.”

Before we left, it was settled that Madame would visit us in November.

Looking at Colin, “I guess she will be Nonna’s replacement.”

Sayin goodbye, the boys leaving our address and phone number, we walked to our hotel.

The young boys and Louise needed a nap, so we all decided to take a short nap. I assumed an one hour nap would be sufficient, turn out we slept for three hours.

Walking up, showering and getting dressed, we waited for Arnaud’s car.

“Arnaud, take the older boys and we will follow in a cab.”

Arriving Arnaud’s home brought back memories of the first time we were here. Nothing had changed and, in a way, I would have been shocked if something had changed. Arnaud was a man of consistency. I believe that is why family customs have been preserved and handed down, father to son.

A walk through his Hall will confirm that, except for one deviation, Christen’s portrait.

“Colin, have you noticed that the few times we have been here, everything is the same, nothing has changed, except the Christen’s portrait. Why do you think that is so?”

“Arnaud comes from a long line of aristocrats. I think the only time he deviated was when he visited us. He is programed by family. I’d bet if we met his father, we would see another Arnaud.”

“I don’t think Christen will follow Arnaud’s tradition.”

“I wouldn’t bet on it. Now with Arnaud alive, he has freedom, but when Arnaud passes on, Christen will pick up where Arnaud left off.”

“So, when I pass on, you will continue to adopt children from the Home?”

“No, because by the time you pass on, there won’t be any children to adopt. We will have adopt them.”

I leaned in a kissed Colin, “That would be a miracle. I’ll tell you this, I’ll continue to adopt those that hurt the most as long as I live.”

Now, Colin leaned in and kissed me. “I’ll support you as best as I can.”

“Hello, Christen. How are you?”

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 17
  • Love 27
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Wonderful start to this European trip for Armand, Colin, all 10 children (age 3 to 16), plus extended family,  but I'm not surprised that after only a few days Marie wants to return to U.S. with Mary-Ann. It's all a little too much for a 3-year old, and while her 'big' sister Louise can cope, with the help of all her brothers including 4 closer to her age, IMHO Marie's decision is right.

Toby (who has freed his voice), John, Louis and Anthony are still shy around strangers (lingering effects of what may have caused their being orphaned?), but Dad, Pop and older brothers will ease that fear. 4 little boys at the Louvre pretending they were drunk (on grape juice) would be a funny video. 

Surprised Louise didn't cry when the sno-globe broke at the Eiffel Tower. Richie did not realize she wouldn't be aware of it's weight. But all good in the end.

Coaxing Madame Laveigne into a trip to U.S. (in time for Thanksgiving and maybe Christmas) to teach the younger children french will work in the short term, but considering how close she is to Nonna's 'vintage' (age), it will likely be une brève visite (a brief stay) with her probably returning to France after a Joyeux Noel / Merry Christmas. Marie will continue the lessons, in the same way she taught Richie to parle français. 

Next, a visit to aristocrats Arnaud, Jean plus Christen and his bride Marie Therese to get more reactions to Armand's portrait of Christen. Then it's off to the airport and 'Benvinguts / Bienvenido a Barcelona'  (the first 'welcome' is in 'Catalan', one of two dialects spoken in Spain, most especially in Barcelona).

Colin and Armand's loving conversation at the end of this chapter sums up so much: "I’ll continue to adopt those that hurt the most as long as I live.” 🥲

Edited by Anton_Cloche
  • Love 4
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Anton_Cloche said:

Toby (who has freed his voice), John, Louis and Anthony are still shy around strangers (lingering effects of what may have caused their being orphaned?), but Dad, Pop and older brothers will ease that fear. 4 little boys at the Louvre pretending they were drunk (on grape juice) would be a funny video. 

I think a video of the 4 little ones goofing around and acting like they were drunk would be hilarious!

  • Love 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..