Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,159 Words
  • 1,596 Views
  • 26 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 72. Chapter 72

I dropped off the kids at the Orphanage and proceeded to the gallery.

“Tommy, I have to go to Yale this afternoon. You can come with me or you can stay with Grandmother. Your choice.”

“I’ll stay with Grandmother.”

I stopped at the office of the professor to say hello. I went to the library and asked about anything they might have concerning endangered animals. She didn’t have anything specifically. “I suggest you check with an environmental agency, I’m sure they would have some information on endangered species.”

I thanked her and went to the general education departments asking about a teacher to teach Italian to private students.

They had two teachers that spoke Spanish but none who spoke Italian. I spoke to each of them, one was married with a family and had no time to take on private students. The other teacher said she didn’t have time but she had a senior who probably would be willing to tutor. I asked if she would pass my name on to her and I can be contacted at the gallery.

Returning to the gallery I told Mom about the student may called. “If she does arrange a meeting for me. I want Colin and Tommy to learn to speak Spanish. Anna has done a good job teaching them basic Italian.”

“Dad, I’m going to learn to speak Spanish?”

“Yes, then you will be able to speak to our Spanish friend.” I was thinking of when Carlo visited.

 

That evening while Colin was eating, I told him about contacting an environmental group for a list of endangered animals. He start to laugh. “You just finished a poster for one. I’ll ask them for you.”

I started to laugh, “I did do that. I forgot.” Then I told him about taking language lessons.

“With us traveling in Europe and now we have friends in Spain and Italy, I think you need to learn those languages. So, I’ll be interviewing a student from Yale to tutor you and Tommy in Spanish.”

Colin smiled but Tommy got excited. I would bet that Tommy picks up the language faster than Colin.

Colin went to the club, Tommy went to finish his homework. I was the maid that night.

When Tommy finished his homework, we still have some time before his bedtime. “Do you want to go and see Jimmy or go and sit on the roof until bedtime.”

“How about both? I can take my drink with me to the roof.” I didn’t realize at the time, but we established an evening routine.

Walking into the club, Tommy waved to Jimmy. Walking to the bar, I had to acknowledge the members I knew. I thought about that, I have been a member of this club for almost three years, and I only knew a few of the members. I need to spend more time in the club. By the time I reached the bar, Tommy was sipping his drink.

“Dad, taste this.”

I did, Jimmy used pineapple juice in his drink. “This tastes good. Do you like it?”

“Yes, I like this also.” It was a spear of pineapple.

Colin was sitting at a table, I waved, he raised his glass of wine. Tommy picked up this drink and followed me to the roof.

I’m not sure if Tommy likes the roof for what it is. Maybe the fact that when we sit there, he snuggles up to me. Sitting there drinking and eating his pineapple spear, I had my arm around him holding him to my side. It was a quiet time for us.

He handed me his glass, snuggled even more into my arm and side. I looked at him, he was content. I felt his love and I hoped he could feel mine.

He was falling asleep but I didn’t want to leave. I picked him up and sat him on my lap. Now I had both arms around him as he slept. That was how Colin found us.

“He’s asleep.”

I nodded, “You need to do this sometime. He spends a lot of time with me, he needs to spend time with you.”

“It’s hard to find the time. With work and the club, I don’t have a lot of free time.”

“I’ll take care of the club a couple of days. You can take him to see Jimmy and then bring him here with his drink. Jimmy put a pineapple stick in his drink. He liked that.”

On Tuesdays and Wednesdays when the club is closed we can both sit here with him.”

“We had fun at the zoo. I wonder if he would like to go fishing. We could do that on a week-end morning.”

“That would be nice. I can get back to my painting. The security of the gallery is resolved and I think Mom was glad.”

He carried a sleeping young man to our apartment and to his bed. I stood behind Colin as he dressed Tommy in his pjs and tucked him in bed. I heard a quiet, “Thanks, Pop.”

I watched the look on Colin’s face. He was conveying the face of a proud father.

We waited a few minutes to make sure he was in a deep sleep, then we went to the club. Now I had my glass of wine.

 

While sitting there, I told Colin I have arranged for him and Tommy to learn Spanish. I thought to myself if that goes well, we’ll try French. As I was thinking this, Anna came up and spoke to me in Italian. “I never have an opportunity to speak Italian. Sometimes I feel I picked the wrong language to study.”

“Where did you study Italian? Did your high school teach it?”

“No, they taught Latin and French.”

“So you speak French as well?” I said that in French

She laughed, “Not very well, but I can defend myself.”

Colin looked as we spoke, he could distinguish Italian and French even not knowing what was being said.

Later that evening, “I feel like I have missed something.”

“What do you mean.”

“When I was a kid, I had a friend and we developed a code to speak to each other so that our parents didn’t know what we said. The code was a mixture of numbers and sounds. We thought we were pretty smart, we had our own language. But compared to a real language like Italian or French, we were short sighted.”

“Good, once you and Tommy learn Italian, we will speak Italian while you learn Spanish. A year from now, you’ll be able to speak Spanish and be well on your way in French. Carlo will be surprised when you speak to him in Spanish.”

The look on Colin’s face was of a man facing sure death.

We closed the club, Colin took the receipts to his office. We checked on Tommy and headed to bed.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 23
  • Love 23
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



43 minutes ago, CLJobe said:

I will accept your comments, and hopefully my readers will also. This story is not meant to show any disrespect to an honorable profession. I still remember my first day of high school. It was a day of instruction and it included a special induction to the school library. The librarian taught us how that library worked, the file system and where we could find books by subject matter. When I traveled, I always visited a library. There are times when I wish television wasn't invented. Maybe we are reaping the fruits of not curling up with a good book. That introduction to a library took place in the fall of 1951

Thank you.  As I said, I think it just came at bad timing with the news stories filling the airwaves of how there are so many teacher openings and now some districts facing strikes.  The lack of respect has been building up for decades, but especially in the last 20 years or so.   It hasn’t helped when I heard of some states that are allowing people into the classroom without even a Bachelor’s Degree!  (This is not some rumor—it was reported on the national news.)  It has actually come to the point that I know of some people who actively discourage students from becoming teachers. I just felt as if my profession was being dismissed as inconsequential.  Too many people think this.

I know this has veered somewhat into teaching, but the same applies to the Library.  Think of the stereotypical Librarian, either female or male.  You come up with someone uptight, old-fashioned and out-of-date.  Hair is worn in a bun on top of the head, glasses, pencil behind the ear or in the hair, etc.  They guard the books and refuse entry because you may get your dirty hands on them.  This is totally 180 degrees from the truth.  I just wish people would get it right.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Clancy59, I'm with you. Absolutely loved your "diatribe". And it is all true, too true.

John (Ph.D. in English)

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Clancy59 said:

...

Unfortunately, now comes the reprimand:

Armand went went to the Yale University Library for the information he needed.  We’re talking Ivy League, Top 10 University in the World here!  Even if the Library didn’t have the exact information he thought he wanted regarding the endangered species, I can absolutely guarantee you (1000%) that the reference Librarian would have been able to locate whatever he wanted in a matter of MOMENTS! This kind of information is kindergarten make-work for a Librarian, any Librarian, especially at that level. They would NEVER have simply foisted him off onto another department.  They will be able to provide him with more information than he ever even knew existed!  

Have you gotten the message that I, for one, am insulted at the insinuation that Libraries are useless?  You bet!  We work our TAILS OFF providing support for every aspect of society, in both the public and the professional realms. And how do people see us?  We support the Book Club for the Red Hat Society ladies and read stories to pre-schoolers.

Think about it.  Between Teachers, who provide the educational foundation on which all of society learns and discovers and moves forward, and Librarians, who collect, catalog, archive and access the information, none of the other professions would exist.

I’m sorry if you don’t like my diatribe this morning, but I am so very sick and tired of the disrespect both of my chosen professions garner.  It’s the start of a new school year and the news has stories of teacher strikes across the country.  People think it’s about the money.  It’s about the respect and support, people!  We were worth double our weight in gold during the pandemic when everyone was stuck at home and people discovered how difficult it was to control their own 2-3 kids, let alone 25-30.  Now that classrooms are open again, we are the devil incarnate, again.  I heard on the news today where one strike line was actually fired on with a BB gun, injuring a couple of the teachers! Ridiculous.

What follows is not a personal attack. Perhaps more like a former segment on 60 Minutes - Point / Counterpoint. 

Wow, did someone get up on the wrong side of the chalkboard,  was all the coffee gone from the teachers lounge or is it just a Dewy Dismal day? And a "diatribe" (aka "a forceful and bitter verbal attack against someone", Oxford Dictionary, at the library.) for a perceived slight, that the author didn't actually say happened, but rather that the 'librarian' not having a ready supply of specific information helpfully suggested another source.

And to state: "This kind of information is kindergarten make-work for a Librarian, any Librarian, especially at that level. They would NEVER have simply foisted him off onto another department."  Heaven forfend they did, might they be "hoisted on their own petard"?

As someone who has worked with and has respect for educators, I and countless others, especially children, encountered 'some' people in those positions who were and are less than helpful and treat others with distain as being 'beneath' them. In the case of impressionable children or those with impediments, there have been numerous cases where children are shamed, made to feel stupid, belittled and scared by 'some' people caught up in their own self-importance. And some of those 'people' were dismissed from their 'positions of authority' and faced charges. But as the saying goes: "One bad apple can spoil the bunch" and subsequently effect the good that remain.

Many people can recall instances where taciturn and morose librarians 'ruled their roost' with a severe glare and admonishment with a LOUD SHUSH to anyone speaking it all, let alone whispering in 'their' hallowed domain. Otherwise how could they portrayed in artistic endeavors: 

all that nicksplat GIF

Even in the 'hallowed halls' of Ivy League institutions, is it possible to find less than helpful individuals behind that all imposing counter? The answer may be yes. 

"It’s about the respect and support, people!  We were worth double our weight in gold during the pandemic..." 

There is a saying that "Respect is a two-way street". As for support? How about  parents and those looking after and trying to teach children without access to libraries locking down for up to two years despite scientific proof that the virus was not likely transmissible after 24 hours contact with paper, books or even mylar book covers. (CDC in CNN April 2020 report). And libraries who 'fogged' their contents with antibacterials, allowed staff back in but blocked public? It's important to point out that decision was made by Library Boards not librarians.

Finally, there's a little thing that authors and many others (artists, playwrites etc.) use, whether in Fiction or Fact... Artistic License.  

Sarah Silverman Dancing GIF by Team Coco

Edited by Anton_Cloche
  • Like 4
Link to comment
15 minutes ago, Anton_Cloche said:

What follows is not a personal attack. Perhaps more like a former segment on 60 Minutes - Point / Counterpoint.

Wow, did someone get up on the wrong side of the chalkboard,  were all the treats and coffee gone from the teachers lounge or is it just a Dewy Dismal day? And a "diatribe" (aka "a forceful and bitter verbal attack against someone", Oxford Dictionary, at the library.) for a perceived slight, that the author didn't actually say happened, but rather that the 'librarian' not having a ready supply of specific information helpfully suggested another source.

And to state: "This kind of information is kindergarten make-work for a Librarian, any Librarian, especially at that level. They would NEVER have simply foisted him off onto another department."  Heaven forfend if they did, in which case might they be "hoisted on their own petard"?

As someone who has worked with and has 'general' respect for educators, I and countless others, especially children, encountered people in those positions who were and are less than helpful and treat others with distain as being 'beneath' them. In the case of impressionable children or those with impediments, there have been numerous cases where children are shamed, made to feel stupid, belittled and scared by people caught up in their own self-importance. And some of those 'people' were dismissed from their 'positions of authority' and faced charges. Just the facts.

Many people can recall instances where taciturn and morose librarians 'ruled their roost' with a severe glare and admonishment with a LOUD SHUSH to anyone speaking it all, let alone whispering in 'their' hallowed domain. Otherwise how could they portrayed in artistic endeavors: 

all that nicksplat GIF

Even in the 'hallowed halls' of Ivy League institutions, is it possible to find less than helpful individuals behind that all important and imposing counter or perhaps roaming the stacks? The answer may be yes. 

"It’s about the respect and support, people!  We were worth double our weight in gold during the pandemic..." Respect is a two-way street! As for support? How about  parents and those looking after and trying to teach children without access to libraries locking down for up to two years despite scientific proof that the virus was not likely transmissible after 24 hours contact with paper, books or even mylar book covers. (CDC in CNN April 2020 report). And libraries who 'fogged' their contents with antibacterials, allowed staff back in but blocked public?

Finally, there's a little thing that authors and many others (artists, playwrites etc.) use, whether in Fiction or Fact...

http://www.writersblock.com/shop/so51zw3oszr3u6tkk9v3fh18ys9ket

Whether I got up in a snarky mood or not is irrelevant.  I didn’t say there aren’t some people who are not guilty of perpetuating the stereotype, or being absolutely miserable at serving the general public.  Thankfully, they are few and far between.  If you have had experience with such a vast number of these kinds of people, then your community needs to look into its hiring practices, HR and employee retention rules. (Mind you, I am a staunch Union supporter, but am also fully aware of when the rules need to be broken.). However, for the entire profession, either one, to be maligned the way it is is what I am upset about. As far as the early rules of how contact was handled during the pandemic, remember that hindsight is 20/20.  At the time, no one truly knew how the virus was spread or how virulent it was. The death count was increasing by the hundreds every day.  Everything was washed and sanitized.  Schools and other entities were closed down starting on March 15, 2020.  In April, people were still in panic mode.  

I was not complaining about poetic license, but to insinuate that an Ivy League university library would be so underfunded to the point of not having access to such basic information is beyond ridiculous. The same can be said for the language department.  Italian and Spanish are basic Romance Languages.  Yale teaches 67 languages, including Zulu and Sanskrit.  Italian is number 30 in their list.    No, they may not provide private tutoring for language learners, but Armand could have been given a list of people who are willing to do so for a fee.  Many colleges have lists of tutors for their students.  Colin could have signed up for a class.  Ignoring realistic turns of events is not poetic license.

I don’t know.  Maybe I have to simply give up with this story.  I am just finding things handled too simplistically and unrealistically.  I have enjoyed other stories, but I am not doing so with this one.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 8/24/2022 at 1:04 PM, Clancy59 said:

Thank you.  As I said, I think it just came at bad timing with the news stories filling the airwaves of how there are so many teacher openings and now some districts facing strikes.  The lack of respect has been building up for decades, but especially in the last 20 years or so.   It hasn’t helped when I heard of some states that are allowing people into the classroom without even a Bachelor’s Degree!  (This is not some rumor—it was reported on the national news.)  It has actually come to the point that I know of some people who actively discourage students from becoming teachers. I just felt as if my profession was being dismissed as inconsequential.  Too many people think this.

I know this has veered somewhat into teaching, but the same applies to the Library.  Think of the stereotypical Librarian, either female or male.  You come up with someone uptight, old-fashioned and out-of-date.  Hair is worn in a bun on top of the head, glasses, pencil behind the ear or in the hair, etc.  They guard the books and refuse entry because you may get your dirty hands on them.  This is totally 180 degrees from the truth.  I just wish people would get it right.

I am appalled at the state of education in the US. Teachers lack critical support  not only from the government but from local communities as well. One thing I don't understand, if I had a valuable asset, I would want to make sure I hired the best candidate regardless of the costs. Teachers are under paid because their salaries are based on taxation. Communities are adverse to anything that will raise their taxes. Until the source of income to pay for our teachers change, then we can expect no change. I can offer one idea, have federal monies support our education structure. How about the Feds matching local taxes in support of educators 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
22 hours ago, Clancy59 said:

Whether I got up in a snarky mood or not is irrelevant.  I didn’t say there aren’t some people who are not guilty of perpetuating the stereotype, or being absolutely miserable at serving the general public.  Thankfully, they are few and far between.  If you have had experience with such a vast number of these kinds of people, then your community needs to look into its hiring practices, HR and employee retention rules. (Mind you, I am a staunch Union supporter, but am also fully aware of when the rules need to be broken.). However, for the entire profession, either one, to be maligned the way it is is what I am upset about. As far as the early rules of how contact was handled during the pandemic, remember that hindsight is 20/20.  At the time, no one truly knew how the virus was spread or how virulent it was. The death count was increasing by the hundreds every day.  Everything was washed and sanitized.  Schools and other entities were closed down starting on March 15, 2020.  In April, people were still in panic mode.  

I was not complaining about poetic license, but to insinuate that an Ivy League university library would be so underfunded to the point of not having access to such basic information is beyond ridiculous. The same can be said for the language department.  Italian and Spanish are basic Romance Languages.  Yale teaches 67 languages, including Zulu and Sanskrit.  Italian is number 30 in their list.    No, they may not provide private tutoring for language learners, but Armand could have been given a list of people who are willing to do so for a fee.  Many colleges have lists of tutors for their students.  Colin could have signed up for a class.  Ignoring realistic turns of events is not poetic license.

I don’t know.  Maybe I have to simply give up with this story.  I am just finding things handled too simplistically and unrealistically.  I have enjoyed other stories, but I am not doing so with this one.

I am sorry you feel that way. This is a story of fiction, none of it is true. The people, the schools, are from my imagination. The university is real but not in my story, just like most of my characters are based on people I knew. 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 8/24/2022 at 1:07 PM, kajean said:

Clancy59, I'm with you. Absolutely loved your "diatribe". And it is all true, too true.

John (Ph.D. in English)

I wonder how many stories, fiction, have caused such a response. To be truthful, I'm enjoying these comments. Dialogue is the key to understanding.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
23 hours ago, mfa607 said:

Great chapter.  Always wished I had learned another language.  Thank you!

One of the problem of learning a second language, if you don't use it you'll lose.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
5 hours ago, CLJobe said:

I am sorry you feel that way. This is a story of fiction, none of it is true. The people, the schools, are from my imagination. The university is real but not in my story, just like most of my characters are based on people I knew. 

True, but it took less than 3 minutes to find the list of languages taught at Yale and count them.  Take this as constructive criticism.  You are writing a fictional story, yes.  I can easily handle 99% of the storyline issues that result from this.  However, when a problem like the one that brought this debate to life can be avoided so simply, I just feel it could have been handled better.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
15 hours ago, CLJobe said:

I am sorry you feel that way. This is a story of fiction, none of it is true. The people, the schools, are from my imagination. The university is real but not in my story, just like most of my characters are based on people I knew. 

The story may be from your imagination, but you used a real, well-established, world-famous institution. In that case, you need to acknowledge their reality, unless this is a totally alternative universe.  If so, this needs to be explained.  If you had used an imaginary institution or imaginary local library, this entire issue could have been avoided.  Artistic or Poetic License can only go so far.  If, as you say, the school is not real in your story, then give it another name.  You could have still established it as a powerhouse (I probably would have still brought up the issue in that case, but may not have pushed as hard), but it would have been more flexible to accommodate your plot.

  • Like 2
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
On 8/24/2022 at 10:41 PM, CLJobe said:

Remember he has a Board of Directors who assist him. But as an owner, he needs to be there. To hear staff problems, if nothing more.

I understand the set up works now.  However, when Colin's father retires, Colin needs to have in place a individual that he trusts and has an investment in the club who will do what Colin does now.  It's the same reason that John is training Colin.  It also would provide less stress on the staff during times Colin will be absent for family emergencies and trips with Armand and Thomas.  It's like another kind or safety measure to protect the business, staff and members, not a replacement for Colin, but a backup for Colin.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 8/24/2022 at 11:03 PM, CLJobe said:

I will accept your comments, and hopefully my readers will also. This story is not meant to show any disrespect to an honorable profession. I still remember my first day of high school. It was a day of instruction and it included a special induction to the school library. The librarian taught us how that library worked, the file system and where we could find books by subject matter. When I traveled, I always visited a library. There are times when I wish television wasn't invented. Maybe we are reaping the fruits of not curling up with a good book. That introduction to a library took place in the fall of 1951

Only a few years older than I am, so I am not surprised that we agree on libraries.  Librarians have been my mentors and friends since childhood in the 50's.  Those close feelings for libraries and librarians continue.  I still connect with some of them on social media even thou I now live half a world away.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 8/26/2022 at 2:35 AM, CLJobe said:

Gentlemen, if my story does anything more then entertain, it has created dialogue. For that I give you my thanks.

Aristotle would be proud!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Interesting discourse in the comments!  As a retired educator I am very pleased that Thomas and Colin will be learning a third language.  Depending on how long the stay in Europe, I am sure they both will learn more when in Italy and Spain than a tutor could teach them.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..