Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 2,116 Words
  • 1,305 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 146. Chapter 146

Arriving back home, “We will need to take the boys from the Home fishing.”

“It’ll take several trips to give all the boys a chance.”

“How many can you take at one time?”

“There are chairs along both sides of the rear deck, we could take 20 boys. Our boys can help them with their lines and keep an eye on the traps. How many boys would want to go?”

“I’ll ask Tommy. He can make a count.”

Nonna came over with a few of the boys’s friends. She said they all couldn’t make it but she had letters for the boys from their Italian friends.

I told the boys they will see their friends when we visited them.

Routine became the pattern of the day. The boys were in school during the day, along with Mary Ann. I didn’t worry about her, she had 4 brothers keeping an eye on her.

Ronny brought us up to date on football. He told us about the team. He is a junior this year, so he will be on the starting team. Which means he will be playing full time at every game. He also told us he has a girlfriend. She was the girl who led the groups to not show up at the dance. I wondered about the other boys and if they had a girl friend.

I knew Tommy wouldn’t have a girl friend unless she was involved not only in school but the Home as well. With Tommy, it would have to include the Home.

Richie was too intent on following Colin into business and unless the girl was also business oriented, he wouldn’t be looking.

Ivan would be looking for a farmer’s wife. The plants and trees he has planted around the house has provided not only shade, but his flowers have graced our table at home and at the Home.

Our lives took on a routine, during the week, school. Week-ends, fishing on Saturdays and golfing on Sundays. Dinners vary, the Club, the Home, and our home. We had dinner occasionally at our parents.

Our dads joined us fishing on Saturdays and spoiled the girls on Sunday. Mom always said that she wished she was able to have a girl. Now she has two as grandchildren.

Nonna being with us gave us a chance to catch up. She was getting old and her news I had expected it a lot sooner. She normally arrived in the Fall but this year she came in the spring. She would be welcome no matter when she came, but I felt something else was her reasoning. It seemed when I looked at her it was like the first time but that was several years ago. Now when I looked at her, I realized that this would be the last time she would visit us. From now on we would visit her. That solved any issues I had with vacations.

That night, in bed, “Colin, this will be the last time Nonna will be visiting us. I didn’t realize how old she is. When I looked at her, it was like I saw her for the first time. From now on, we will spend vacations in Italy.”

“Do you think she is dying?”

“No, but she is old and I think it is more a case of being comfortable in her old age. She has Angela there with her grandchildren, I think she wants to spend as much time as possible with them. If I was her, I would want to be around them as they grew older.”

“So, we fly to Paris for two days, then Spain for two days and spend the rest of our time in Italy. I’m okay with that and I think the boys will be as well.”

I was glad that the older boy’s friends came with Nonna. They would be there to help her if she needed any help. Marcel must have realized her condition, he waited on her.

I spent a lot of time with her while she was here. I also started a painting of her. That one won’t be sold. It’ll be hung in our dining room at home.

Richie, Ivan passed their driving test and now Colin had to provide them with a car. I listened as Colin asked them what type of car they wanted, while offereing a car like Ronny’s. Richie said he didn’t need a car. Ivan said a car would help him spend more time at the Home and his gardens. I watched Colin, I thought the boys made good sense.

That night, “The boys surprised me when I offered them a car.”

“I wasn’t surprised but I would have expected them to jump at the offer.”

“Tommy didn’t say anything. I thought he might want a car so he could be independent on the others when he needed a ride to the Home.”

“He will have Ivan and Ronnie. I’ll give him a ride when they can’t.”

And that was the end, except all three were added to Colin’s insurance.

I spent as much time with Nonna as I could. Mom and Dad invited her to their home, but one of the boys had to go. Mom and Dad didn’t speak Italian so the boys interpreted. Thinking about Nonna, I don’t think she could even walk outside without one of the boys being with her. Except for school, it was as if the boys knew that this was Nonna’s last trip to our home.

I took the calendar, sitting at the breakfast table, I started to plan our summer. I was not more then 10 minutes when Roger showed up.

“Have you heard from Jean or Arnaud?”

“No, come to think of it, Jean was to tell me when my painting was going to be at MoMa. I take it you have talked to them.”

“Yes, Jean called and wonder if I could put him up.”

I started to laugh, “You two, he knows I have room for him. You are getting as bad as him.”

“I couldn’t offer your home without asking you.” Laughing, “He is to arrive tomorrow. I’ll pick him up. What are you doing?”

“I’m trying to plan our summer vacation. I don’t want to be gone a long time.”

“Doesn’t Ronnie have football camp?”

“Yes, he hasn’t told me exactly when except it is for two weeks.”

“That leaves at least 4 weeks. I’d think that should be enough time for a vacation in Europe.”

“I don’t think Colin wants to be gone that long. His dad isn’t well enough to handle a full load. He only works a half-day. Richie, working with Colin has been picking up the load.”

“So Rich is going to follow Colin?”

“As far as I know. Henry is looking at law schools for him.”

“I wonder how many more stars are hiding at the Home.”

“I don’t know, but I’m sure everyone of those children can and will make a positive mark in this life.”

“How are the new family doing?”

“Great, the grandfathers are spoiling the girls.”

“And you and Colin aren’t?”

“We don’t have much of a chance with the boys. But I’m glad we adopted them.”

“I have feeling you will be adopting more.”

“I don’t know if we will or not. For the next 10 years, we have these 6. If a child comes along that needs us, we will adopt them, as well.”

“Are you planning on going to see Jean and Arnaud.”

“Yes, want to come along.”

“Sure, I’d love to drop in on them.”

“Let me know and as soon as I know when we are leaving, I’ll let you know.”

The boys came home from school and Roger got ready to go. “I forgot what I came over to tell you. They will be removing that old house and the land has been offered to our ecology and environmental students.”

“Do you think Ivan could work with them? I’d like for him to get involved with those subjects.”

“Sure, I’ll send the team over and you can introduce him.”

I thought he will be ecstactic to work with these students. I would be glad if he chose to go to Yale and to study.

That evening in bed,I told Colin about my day. “How much time do you think you would have for vacation this year?”

“That depends but with the load we have now I probably could squeeze two weeks top.”

“I was hoping for three weeks.”

“You could spend an extra week in the village without me. Why don’t you do that?”

Thinking about what Colin said, it was feasible. I didn’t like the idea but it would allow the kids an extra week with their friends.

In the morning, “Colin, are you sure you wouldn’t mind for us to spend an extra week in Europe.”

“No, it’ll mean a lot to the boys.” I looked at him, “And I know you want to spend more time with Nonna.” That got him a kiss and a promise.

The following evening I told the boys about our vacation plans. Richie was concerned about Pop having too much work and maybe he should come back early with him. When he mentioned it to Colin that evening, Colin told him they would work extra hard before so that Grandfather can help with the smaller load. I knew that Colin will be in contact with the office on a daily basis.

For the rest of the school term, the boys buckled down.

Marie said she wanted to spend time at her home, so her plans will be to fly to Paris with us and she will stay there. Now we had another problem, I was counting on her helping with the girls. Mary Ann could travel with us but Louise being younger will need more care.

Discussing the trip with the children, “Armand, do you think Louise could stay with the grandmothers?”

“I don’t know. I don’t want her to think we abandoned her.”

“Let’s talk to our moms and see what they think.”

I knew my mom would jump at the chance, but I didn’t want Louise to think she was abandon for the three weeks we were gone.

I went over to mom’s place, “Mom, we were planning our vacation to Europe. We will be gone three weeks at most. I want to spend a little more time with Carmela, this was the last time she would be visiting us.”

“She did look a little more tired and wasn’t as enthusiastic in the kitchen as last year. You care a lot for her?”

“Yes, if I had to list the woman in my life you would be number one. Mary and Carmela would be number 2. I don’t think Carmela will be with us much longer. She was in her 60’s when I first met her. That was several year ago when I was at Carnegie Mellon.”

That evening, I told Colin what I had decided. “Louise would accompany us, until he returned. She would come back with him and our moms would babysit during the day while you are at work. Her seeing you and sleeping in her bed, won’t cause her to think she was abandon.” Colin thought that would work.

I told the moms Colin’s and my decision. They thought it was a good plan and I noticed over the next few days until we left, they entertained Louise more than normal. Dad would come over and pick her up, take her home and then bring her back a supper time.

Shopping was needed, suitcases checked, flash drives for their cameras, and gifts for friends in Italy.

Then the big day arrived. My dad drove the bus to JFK. I laughed as he pulled up to our gate. The older boys took care of the luggage, the younger boys followed them, Marie and the girls, followed by Roger, Colin and I. As soon as the bus was emptied, Dad pulled away, with a toot on his horn. With our luggage checked, we went to the ticket counter, passports and tickets in hand, we headed to the gate. Roger had a common class ticket, I took it and upgraded it to Business Class. I figured that this was a business trip for him and Yale wouldn’t permit an up class on seating. I thought that didn’t make sense.

Boarded, I noticed each older boy held the hand of a younger boy when they boarded.

The steward made the usual comments, seat belts on, and then as the plane moved I heard, the boys singing, Off into the blue yonder.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 24
  • Love 23
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 1/14/2023 at 8:32 AM, scrubber6620 said:

Life moves on, People grow older and needs change. Nonna is aging noticeably and will spend just this year in the US and will be visited in Italy in future years. The older boys are showing themselves to be very responsible and practical. A new trip to Europe has been planned and is just starting. Colin and Armand balanced many needs to arrive at a compatible plan that served everyone's needs.

Armand would like to spend more time in Europe. They have cultivated friends in Paris, Barcelona a nd Rome. I'm sure they enjoy these friends. As the boys get older, Armand and Colin are facing time restrictions.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 1/14/2023 at 9:27 AM, mikedup said:

I agree , times moves on regardless, everyone is growing up , and they are all older , Nonna is getting to be over traveling and so now will want to be home with her other family, Armand is right by saying that being the case, they will then spend more time with her in Europe, the granddad's seem to be spoiling the granddaughter more than the grandmothers. The most important thing is that there is a tremendous amount of Love in the house 

I always thought it was funny that like my dad, he spoiled my daughters more than my son. My mother took care of him. Armand being the only child allowed his parents an opportunity to step in. Nonna is getting old and if Armand, Colin and the boys spend more time with her inItaly it would be the best world for her.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 1/14/2023 at 12:30 PM, weinerdog said:

Wow for two teen boys Tommy and Richie to say they don't need a car is unheard of I guess they appreciate how much investment Armand and Colin put into things.

Two other takeaways Armand mention he wasn't worried about Mary Ann at school with four older brothers there once somebody finds out one of Mary Ann brothers is the football star Ronnie that should stop any funny business. Also Richie going to Law school in the future should the government or anybody else try to mess with the home for any reason all Tommy has to do is call Richie together they will be unbeatable

Yes, and with the Judge and Tommy getting along so well, No one in their right mind would be messing with them or the boys and girls at the Home.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

It took me eleven days, but I finally caught up!  The family is definitely working well.  I am still a bit upset that the girls are not included in the fishing trips.  Fishing for my mom was like Armand and Colin sitting on their roof top garden.  It was how she relaxed and dealt with life.  It was her only real recreation.  I'm sure she is now giving GG an earful about how unfair it is to the girls.  

Time does go on, and I understand the need for Nonna to settle down and spoil her own grandchildren. Are Armand and Colin are just assuming that all their kids will be straight, or if that will be a bump in the road as the kids get old enough to start questioning their sexuality?  I'm also curious about when the promised trip to Egypt will take place.  Maybe a graduation trip for the family in the future?  I am enjoying the many wonderful adventures in the story and look forward to many more.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
34 minutes ago, raven1 said:

It took me eleven days, but I finally caught up!  

🎆🎊🎵🎉🎇

I have been watching you grind through it.I bet it was labor of love

Looking forward to reading your reactions as they happen in the coming chapters

Edited by weinerdog
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
2 hours ago, weinerdog said:

🎆🎊🎵🎉🎇

I have been watching you grind through it.I bet it was labor of love

Looking forward to reading your reactions as they happen in the coming chapters

Thanks @weinerdog. It definitely was for the love of this story!  I've been enjoying your comments along with the others about this story.  It's going to be a bit more fun without the push to catch up!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 1/16/2023 at 8:43 AM, raven1 said:

It took me eleven days, but I finally caught up!  The family is definitely working well.  I am still a bit upset that the girls are not included in the fishing trips.  Fishing for my mom was like Armand and Colin sitting on their roof top garden.  It was how she relaxed and dealt with life.  It was her only real recreation.  I'm sure she is now giving GG an earful about how unfair it is to the girls.  

Time does go on, and I understand the need for Nonna to settle down and spoil her own grandchildren. Are Armand and Colin are just assuming that all their kids will be straight, or if that will be a bump in the road as the kids get old enough to start questioning their sexuality?  I'm also curious about when the promised trip to Egypt will take place.  Maybe a graduation trip for the family in the future?  I am enjoying the many wonderful adventures in the story and look forward to many more.

I'm sure there are boys at the Home who will see the relationship between Colin and Armand and want to copy it.  But they are young.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 1/16/2023 at 9:16 AM, weinerdog said:

🎆🎊🎵🎉🎇

I have been watching you grind through it.I bet it was labor of love

Looking forward to reading your reactions as they happen in the coming chapters

Me too

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..