Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 2,758 Words
  • 1,757 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 112. Chapter 112

The boys shared my bed. I knew they missed Colin and so did I. But his visit back home was important and I hope he is able to get his dad to the doctors. I remember my mom reading me bedtime stories, but not these boys. They wanted to talk about the museum and the various artifacts. “Dad, did those monsters really roam the earth?”

“That is what they say.”

“How can they tell from a piece of bone?”

“I don’t know but there are people who are trained to do that.”

“I think I’d like to do that.”

“When we get home, I’ll get you some books on paleontology. That is what they call the study of fossils.”

“Do they have pictures of what those animals look like?”

“You know I think you just gave me a great idea. When we go home, we will take the kids from the orphanage and visit a museum in New York City that has animals that lived thousands of years ago.” I thought why didn’t I think about this when I was home. The kids will like that.

That seemed to settle them down. “Dad, will Pop be okay?”

“Yes. He will be fine. When he calls tomorrow, you can talk to him.”

With that thought, the boys fell asleep and eventually so did I. GG said not to worry.

Morning came and Richie woke us up. “Dad, get up we need to have breakfast before we catch the train.”

Food, the magic word for the boys.

They headed off to their bedroom to shower and get dressed, I did the same. I was finished and while I waited for them, “Maria, what do you think about joining us in Spain and Italy. The boys would love to have you go with us and I know Colin will agree as well.”

“You are planning on going to see Marcel this morning?”

“Yes, we will leave after breakfast. This will be the last time we will see them until they return home.”

“Let me think about it.”

“Fair enough”

Now the parade to the dining room. Mom and Dad joined us, Mom joined us. “Armand, what did you tell Colin about Dad? I know you said something to him as he asked Dad to pack a few extra clothes.”

Walking behind the others, “I asked him to have John see a doctor.”

“Why?”

“Mom, you’ve seen how he has acted. His reference to me having more money than a bank, once said is enough but he tells perfect strangers that. He has increased his drinking, he talks very loud, that isn’t the John I have come to know and love. There is something wrong.”

“Colin won’t get him to go. He’s stubborn about that.”

“I have faith Colin will get him to go.”

“If there is something wrong, I’ll go home.”

“Let’s wait and see what doctor tells Colin. I hear there is a golf tournament and maybe that is his problem.”

Laughing, “That would be the action of a little boy, although he does love golf.”

This morning I wanted something special for breakfast. “Instead of having breakfast here, there is a little cafe not far from here who makes a delicious breakfast. The fresh air will do us good.”

Leaving the hotel we walked toward the Eiffel Tower, 250 meters along the road we made a right turn and continued for another 500 meters and made another right turn which took us to a little street that ran behind our hotel. There was a cafe visited by the locals. It had been years since I was here, but walking into the cafe, the smells brought everything back to me.

The manager approached us, I told him in French, we were here for breakfast. He arranged tables for us, we sat down. Richie asked for orange juice. Our waiter smiled, I knew that the staff here only spoke French. Although I heard few English words when I was here the first time.

“If you allow me, I’ll order for all of us.”

I ordered crepes filled with eggs, small crepes filled with fruit, and coffee for the adults. The boys had orange juice. I watched them as the waiter brought our order.

“Dad, why can’t Marcel makes these at home?”

I thought about that, “He can. He will need a crepe griddle. Remind me when we get home and I’ll buy him one.”

Dad had two crepes, smiling, “At last pancakes.” We laughed. Looking at Mom, I think I’ll but two Crepe griddles.

Breakfast over, Dad rubbed his stomach, the boys did the same, we headed for the train station.

The boys sat together, Moms and Maria sat together Dad and I sat together. I sat so I could keep my eyes on the boys. They were talking a mile a minute. Every once in a while they would look at me and I knew they were thinking of Colin. Mom was also quiet and I knew she was thinking of John.

Arriving at the first train station, we had to wait a little while for the other train. The station had benches on the platform, and being a nice day, we sat outside. I gave the boys money to buy a bottle of water, “Ask the Grams and Grandad if they want any water.”

Our wait wasn’t long when we saw our train coming. This train only ran between two stations, so the engine would pull in one direction and push in the other direction. Seeing the train, I made a mental note to get a train set for Christmas.

Train ride, a stroll to the bus station and a short ride to the village where Marcel and James were.

Marie never answered me about going with us to Spain and Italy. As we headed to the restaurant, “Armand, I need to go and pack another suitcase if we are going to Spain and Italy.”

I think my smile was the biggest ever. Richie looked at me and then when Marie left, “Dad, where is Marie going?”

“To pack another suitcase.”

I could see the mills grinding in Richie’s head, then it clicked. He ran and jumped on me, almost knocking me on my butt.

“Go and tell your brothers.”

I watched, he told Ivan first, then Ronny and last Tommy. Moms wanted to know what was the excitement all about, I told them. That led my mom to ask about her. I told them she was Richie’s nanny until his parents were killed. I saw the mom in my mother’s eyes.

Walking into the restaurant, we sat down at two tables, one the boys sat at and one we grown ups sat at. I watched the boys, they waited and soon the same waiter from last time came. As soon as he saw us, he took off for the kitchen. Then Marcel and James came to check if the waiter was right and that is when the boys took off. Jumping on James and hugging Marcel.

“I think the boys missed them.”

“I didn’t expect to see you until we returned home.”

“Marie decided to go with us to Spain and Italy. She needed another suitcase.”

Looking at the boys, “If you sit down I’ll get you something to eat.”

Magic words for the boys. James brought out a bowl of spaghetti. “ He made some for us for dinner one night and the staff loved it. Now he only makes it for the boys and girls that come here after school. I told him he would spoil their dinner, he said this is better for them.”

“I’m not sure it is better for them, there is a lot of carbs in that food.”

“Compare with what they normally eat, it is different and it is good. Carmella taught him.”

The boys were sitting at their table eating James’s spaghetti for a late lunch. We oldies had a salad. Then the 3:00 school kids came in. Seeing our boys they headed for their table, pulled another table close and the noise level went up several notches. James came out with plates of spaghetti, and a salad for our boys. The school kids wanted to know where was their salads. James pretended to swat them on their head, headed to the kitchen and came out with a small salad for them.

I wished Colin was here. James had won these children over.

Marcel sat at our table with his cup of coffee. “Marcel, how is James doing?”

“You can see the children love him. He always has something special for them. When he gave them spaghetti for the first time, he had to sit and show them how to eat it. In the country your food is what you grow. This was something new, at first they were a little tentative, one of the boys said it was worms. James went to take his plate away when the smallest said no, he wanted it. From that time on, he makes spaghetti for them.”

“What about their parents? I would think they would be upset if their children didn’t eat their dinner. Spaghetti is quite filling.”

“Watch, that older boy works the week-end here. He cleans the tables. Emile said he will teach him when he finishes the equivalent of high school.”

I was thinking that this is farm country and most farmers grow their own food. How does a restaurant make any money. I’m sure he charges for teaching, but watching these kids eat, and not paying, I don’t see how he makes any money.

The children left, the older boy cleaning the table, again hugs all around. I knew there would be some pen pals.

We were drinking our coffee and the boys had a glass of cold milk. I need to make a mental note about making sure our milk at home was cold. The older students arrive and James’s girlfriend went to let him know. Walking into the restaurant he looked at me and seemed a little embarrassed. I smiled and winked at him.

James is a bashful young man. I’m sure it was a reflection of growing up in the orphanage. He has a soft spot for the younger kids but he is a little sterner with the older children. And with this girl who hangs on him as if to let the world know he is hers, he is very stern.

“I have told you before, when we have guests in the restaurant you cannot behave this way.” He looked at Marcel. Marcel to the rescue, he told the young lady exactly what James said in French. There was no chance she didn’t understand.

“That girl has a crush on James. She is studying English.”

“Wasn’t she here the last time we were here?”

“Yes, and she behaves like this all of the time. James even hides from her. When the restaurant closes, she waits for him. We sneak him out the back door. Here comes Marie, watch this.”

Marie walks in, grabs James’s hand and pulls him away. Looking at the girl, (in French ), “You are behaving like a prostitute. No one wants to be around you. He’s going home in a month and then what? You can’t follow him. For someone your age, you behave like your little brother. Even he has more sense than you. He doesn’t hang all over James.”

I started to laugh, I couldn’t help it. Marie words were lost, the girl wasn’t even paying attention to her. I told our Moms and my Dad what Marie said. I could see the looks on our Moms’ face.

I felt sorry for James, he was embarrassed. I went and hugged him, “It’s okay James. Next year when you come back she will be gone.”

He smiled, no spaghetti for this group. He did bring some for Marie. The girls watched. Marie, in French, she told James he cooked the worms perfectly. The group got up and left. I told our parents what she said, they laughed.

Emile did come out to say hello. He said he needed James for a full year. Could he stay.” Even though he said this in French , he didn’t realize that the boys understood him. There was a chorus of, NO WAY.

James gave the boys a hug, I couldn’t hear him but from the expression on their faces, I knew he said, no way, as well.

Even though we didn’t adopt James, and maybe we should have, the boys accepted him as an older brother rather than an Uncle. His involvement with them, taking them to school, preparing their lunches and picking them up from school, they have developed a special bond. James knows what it is like to grow up in an orphanage, except for Richie and Ivan, the other two share that experience. I think that is the bond that binds them.

Lunch was over but we stayed there, I don’t think we wanted to leave. James asked where was Colin and his father, we told him they had business meetings they had to attend. James knew about the orphanage having to move but he didn’t know about the Home Colin was getting built. So over another cup of coffee, I told him. “When we get home, the new Home will be finished.”

“How long will it take you to move them in? They have a lot of equipment to move, besides the beds, the kitchen alone will take several days.”

I knew that the kitchen will have all new equipment. I have seen the catalogue that Colin was looking through. I’m sure the cooks will be very happy with their new kitchen. Mental note, include crepe griddle in new kitchen.

“Marcel, the boys loved the crepes, I suggest you buy one for your kitchen.”

“Maybe two?” I laughed. I was thinking I may need a few more for the orphanage as well.

Marie was ready to go and we caught the last bus back to the train station.

The ride back to Paris was very quiet. I’m sure the boys were missing James and Marcel.

“Dad, James is coming home with Uncle Marcel?”

“Yes, James will be coming home.”

Arriving at our hotel there was a message for me from Colin. He didn’t need to say call me back, I had planned on doing that the question do I do it alone or with the boys. I decided to call him alone and then I’ll let boys talk.

“Hello”

“I called earlier and they said you weren’t there. Where did you go?”

“We went to see Marcel and James. Marie has decided to go with us to Spain and Italy.”

“You are going to ask her to come home with you?”

“Yes, but one step at a time. The boys miss you.”

“And you don’t?”

“You know the answer to that. What have you been doing?”

“We met with our judge and the City lawyers. They agreed to hold off taking any legal action until the new place is finished. Listen to this, they wanted to know if they had to continue to pay for each child as they have been doing. Our Judge said no but they have to pay for the moving costs.”

“The money is from the State, not the City Counsel.”

“I think they just made a mistake. That old gentleman who wanted to remove them didn’t know that the City charged the State a fee for overseeing the orphanage and handling the payments. That goes away, now.”

I laughed, “So the money from the State goes directly to the orphanage.”

“Yes, we will have to set up a bank account with Pat being the signatory. The State will deposit the money in the bank and Pat can draw it out as needed.”

“And if she doesn’t draw it out, the State will review the expenses and if there is a surplus, they will budget less for the upcoming year.”

“Have you seen the place?”

“No, after our doctor’s appointment.”

“You have some people here who want to talk.”

“Dad, when are you coming back?”

“Why not sooner?”

“Okay, promise?”

“Here’s Ronny”

Colin talked to all of the four boys, I’m pretty sure he told them all the same information. I wanted to say goodbye, but when Ivan handed me the phone, Colin had hung up.

“What did Pop say?”

The boys in chorus, “He missed us and would hurry back.”

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 23
  • Love 33
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Off to Spain and Italy, what wonderful adventure await the boys...

Glad to see Colin's father is going to the doctor's...

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
On 10/24/2022 at 10:07 AM, weinerdog said:

I have had crepes before but never filled with eggs I'm thinking egg and cheese would that work?

That Girl that is almost stalking James make sure she and that other girl who took bites out of the pastry at the club never meet

The first time I had crepes at a restaurant in New York, the cook was making a crepe with eggs and cheese. They were delicious. I tried to copy with a large skillet, it worked to a degree, like 90 percent abut not quite. After several tries, I realized the secret was a thin egg layer.

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
On 10/24/2022 at 10:42 AM, scrubber6620 said:

More good times and connecting with friends.  They will have great memories and things to keep on enjoying.

Colin's trip home assured the move will go smoothly and the kids will not be homeless plus the orphanage will now get its state support directly without a city overhead charge. It was very good that he went home. His dad is going to the doctor soon. They can find out if he has a medical problem.

Armand had decided he needed to buy things when he gets home--crepe griddles for the club and orphanage and a trainset. The kids liked crepes and the train rides.

Yes, after my first taste of crepes, I was all for them.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 10/24/2022 at 4:52 PM, Anton_Cloche said:

With this chapter we see more things coming together on this trip. Marie is joining for the Italy and Spain tours (and between Armand and the boys, they'll convince her of a return trip to America). 

Colin had successful court hearings that will benefit the 'Home' (new orphanage & farmland) in the country, and he persuaded John to have a medical checkup.

And despite an attempt  by a 'tart'* to lure him away (perhaps entrap him in a 'liason'), James is returning with Marcel to the U.S. 

* Not all 'Pâtisserie' (pastries) are a sweet treat. 

Baking Great British Bake Off GIF by PBS

Are you implying that some French tarts have a soggy bottom.

The intentions of Colin and Armand is to get Marie to take up residence in the States. I think once Armand see's his surprise, it will be a slam dunk.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
On 10/24/2022 at 5:48 PM, chris191070 said:

More family times 

Building a strong united family. By the time the boys reach n age of 21, they will be well knitted family 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 10/24/2022 at 6:47 PM, mikedup said:

James almost has a stalker, but it will hopefully go nowhere, the boys continue to have fun ,Marie seems to slowly becoming a big part of the family, there also seems to be fun and games going on in the states

Yes, I don't think James will become involved with the French tart. As Marcel said, she will be gone when they return next year.

Edited by CLJobe
  • Like 4
Link to comment

Colin seems to be getting things done with the lawyer.  I am anxious for the report on the Home for God's Children.  I hope the doctor will find out what is causing Johns unusual behavior and fix it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..