Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 801 Words
  • 1,510 Views
  • 11 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 69. Chapter 69

Arriving at the gallery I noticed a car was parked in the car park at the rear of the building. Walking into the gallery, I went to the office.

“I’m glad you are here. There is a gentleman in the village with the professor. I believe he may have a project for you. Here are applications for apartment rentals. You need to set a price.”

I briefly looked through the applications, most were from students. One was from a student working on his doctorate and one was from an older professor of history. I remember him as he and the Professor use to have a debate over new age artists and artists of the past.

Mom was right I needed to determine rental fees.

Walking into the village, “Here is the artist now.”

“Armand, this is Dr. Kevin Chase. He’s planning on opening a children's clinic here. I’ve convinced him he should paint his walls with children in mind. I’m showing him the village as an example.”

“It’s nice to meet you Dr. Chase. The Professor is a devout fan of mine.”

“This village is quite extraordinary. Edward tells me this is a copy of the village in Italy where you stayed when you visited Europe.”

“Yes, I spent my summer breaks when I was a student working toward my Bachelors degree. Since then I have spent several weeks there. I stayed at that home and have come to consider them family.”

“Would you consider painting a mural that would appeal to children?”

“Do you have an idea of what you would like to have on the mural?”

“My clients would be children from a 2 years old to 14 years old. There may be an occasional new born and a child older than 14. I would need something that would have a broad appeal.”

“Give me your card and I’ll give you a call. I need to think about this.”

We discussed the village, the lightening which simulates the time of a day. As we were discussing the village, I heard Grandmother. Then Dad, where are you?

“This is my son,” as I had two arms wrapped around me.

“We are going to look around the gallery. I wanted to show him one of my students statue.”

Saying goodbye, Tommy and I headed to the office. Colin had bought a small refrigerator for the office. Mom had complained that she couldn’t go to lunch some times. She didn’t want to leave the gallery when the gallery was opened.

That evening, I told Colin about the request by the doctor for a mural in his office.

“Do you want to do it?”

“I don’t know? How would I protect something like a mural? I could understand a mural in a museum or gallery, there would be systems that would protect the mural. But a doctors office where the mural would be open to anyone.”

“Unless someone took the wall, they couldn’t remove it.”

“No, but they could destroy it. A child with a crayon could write on it, or a child could smear it with their dirty hand.”

“Could you paint a mural on the top half of the wall so small kids couldn’t reach it. Could you cover the painting with glass or several coats of a clear lacquer.”

“You know, the more I think about it, the more I don’t think I’ll do it.”

“Sleep on it.”

I brought Colin up to date on my visit with the police.

“You going to call that man?”

“Yes, when Tommy is in school, I’ll go and see him.”

 

In the morning I made my decision about the mural for the doctor. I’ll call the Professor today and suggest he asks one of his students to do the mural. It would be good publicity and they would probably do it for less than I would charge.

Over breakfast I told Colin my decision. He agreed with me, “You’ll build some good will with the art department at Yale.”

I felt good about my decision. Now to concentrate on security for the gallery.

I was in a good mood for some reason. Leaving the apartment for school, I tossed Tommy over my shoulder and headed for the club’s kitchen. Tommy was giggling of course me tickling him a little helped.

Getting to the car, I dumped Tommy in the front seat. He was still laughing when I got in. “Dad, that was fun.” I just reached across, hugged him, kissed him on the top of his head. He was smiling all the way to school.

I called the security company the chief of police gave me. They agreed to send someone to the gallery this afternoon. Now I need to check with the Professor to discuss the doctor’s mural.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 30
  • Love 26
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

2 hours ago, scrubber6620 said:

I agree that Armand is right to say no to a mural in a doctor's office. It is both due to his concern for protection of the work as well as a step down. He needs to realize his works are very valuable . Famous artists do murals or mural-like works --think DaVinci. It is the nature of the place and purpose for the work and accompanying significant recognition from the placement of the work. 

He is kind to suggest an alternative in the form of an art student.  He is setting more limits and communicating them.

I like how smoothly his home life is moving ahead. Tommy is a delight.

Armand would do a mural for any place that protected his mural.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

I wonder if GG will have anything to say about the mural, most likely not but the pessimist in me can't help but wonder about the timing of the doctor opening a clinic and Tommy being adopted...god forbid Tommy doesn't need the services of the new clinic...coincidences worry me....  

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

I think that Armand is making a wise decision on the clinic.  I encourage art everywhere, but art at the level of Armand's talent need to be both public and protected.  A clinic dedicated to the health of children would not be a good place for one of Arrow's murals.  I agree with Colin that leaving the job for art students at Yale, builds good will.  It would also encourage art students and provide them with opportunities to create.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..