Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 3,144 Words
  • 840 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 222. Chapter 222

Tommy called and said Dr. Hamlin called, “Dad, he said he would like to visit this Saturday and he would have three guests with him. I don’t think it was the ladies from the last visit. Pat thinks it might be three of the men we met in Albany.”

“Saturday is fishing day. Give him a call asking if they are fishermen, if they are they could join us on the boat. And if they do, then you need to come with us. I think Pat could handle the Home for the day. Let me know if Dr. Hamlin and guests are going fishing,”

That evening I told Colin about the visit.

“If they decide to go fishing I’ll need more chairs.’”

“Don’t buy those lounge chairs, just get the regular chair and we can use them in the roof garden.”

The house began to smell like peanuts.

I asked David to help Pierre with his English. I told him I would like to enroll Pierre after Christmas. David and I have discussed his college courses. He wants to be a teacher like Julia and Ronnie so his choice of a career wasn’t a surprise.

Louise, David, Toby, and Louis graduated this year. David and Toby enrolled in Yale, David with a major in education, and Toby with a major in communication. Louis followed Mary Ann to Thiele, he said he wanted to study medicine but first, he needed to understand nursing. Of all of our children, Louis was the most thorough in his studies. Reading lessons from a textbook wasn’t enough. He read other books on the subject, nothing except an excellent grade would suffice. Louise was the exception. She wanted to be a model so she enrolled in the Ford Modeling Agency in New York. I was pleased with the boys' selection of a career but not Louise’s. GG said either support her or you will lose her. So we took an apartment in New York for her. I did set up a weekly allowance that covered her expenses and extra money for incidentals. Colin and I went with her for her interview. We agreed that if she passed her interview we would look for an apartment and if she didn’t she would come home and attend college.

She passed her first interview but they said there were two more interviews and she would need a professional photo. She wanted to take the photo right away. The agency gave her the name of the photographer they used, we called and he had a slot available at 4 p.m. but it had to be at his studio.

Colin and I accompanied her, the photographer took six shots of her in various poses. He said he would deliver them to the agency. We went home.

Four weeks went by when she received a phone call. The agency had reviewed the photos and if she was still interested, they would like to meet with her. The outcome, she was enrolled in the Ford Agency. Colin went and found a one-bedroom furnished apartment in a building the Agency recommended. Most of the current students live there. Colin opened a bank account and told her a weekly sum would be deposited to cover rent, food, and other necessities. He also said he would monitor the account.

Tommy called and Dr. Hamlin said the gentlemen agreed to accept the fishing invitation. I told Colin to buy 4 lawn chairs and we could use them in the roof garden.

As usual, the boys in school wanted to invite their friends. I knew Mark would be one. On Friday they went to school with permission slips. Gerry said it was too late. “Tell them to bring them with them. Make sure they need to be here no later than 7.”

We went to the club for lunch. Colin and Richie joined us. I noticed Colin had lost a few pounds. James told me that they come here for lunch and sometimes they bring a guest.

Saturday morning, Pepe showed up with one of the buses and Ronnie had the other buses. Colin and I had our vans, he delivered the coolers Friday night and I suspect ted he also delivered the hot dogs and drinks. Buses loaded, and we waited for our guests. They arrived with Tommy. I was glad to see him. Just as we were ready to pull out Elizabeth shows up with Mark. “Get in the van with Pierre well I say hello to your mother.”

Colin took two of the gentlemen who came with Dr. Hamlin, Dr, Hamlin and one of his guests rode with Pierre, Mark, and I.

Arriving at the dock, busses were parked in the parking lot, I followed Colin in and parked behind him. Now the boys started to walk to the boat singing. I bought 4 rods in case our guests wanted to use them.

“What are they singing?”

“They are singing in Italian and telling the mermaids they are here.”

“All the boys are singing.”

“Yes and if you watch some of the private yacht owners and other fishermen, they are singing as well.”

As we approached the boat, the captain was standing at the end of the boarding plank. The boys saluted and asked permission to board. As the boys boarded they found their seats. Charley and Charles along with their boys were already on board.

I introduced Dr. Hamlin to the captain and first mate, and Colin showed them their seats. The captain blew the whistle and we were off.

The boys kept signing, I told Dr. Hamlin they were now telling to the mermaids to put the fish on their line and they would give them a kiss.

Dr. Hamlin’s guests had a lot of questions. I listened as Colin answered most of them and once in a while, Ronnie would answer them.

Tommy was telling the guests which boys were from the Home and which boys were friends of the boys. I heard, “And they all call him Dad and him Pop?”

Tommy explained all the boys on the boast except seven were from the Home. “Those that Dad and Pop adopted all came from the Home. Ronnie and I were among the first to be adopted followed by Richie, who isn’t here. Now they have adopted more but you couldn’t identify them, to all the boys they are Dad and Pop. Similarly, the girls call them Pop and Dad as well. Our grandmother, Pop’s mother. Arranges with her lady's group to take the girls shopping, twice a year. They get their hair done, visit department stores buy new clothes, eat in fancy restaurants, and bring home a souvenir.”

“Who pays for that?”

“The Grandmother and her girl's clubs.”

“They do this willingly?”

“Yes. Our patrons try to provide these children with activities that most families offer their children. They visit the zoo once a year, they go to ball games and football games. When Ronnie’s high school football team plays locally, we fill the stadium. We have Halloween parties where everyone has a costume, At Christmas, we take the kids to a department store where they meet Santa Claus and buy their gifts for each other. I don’t know if they like these fishing trips for the fishing or the eating of the fish. Tonight we will have a baked fish dinner which I hope you will enjoy.”

Then the captain blew the horn. Now the activity was baiting hooks and getting to the seriousness of fishing. The first fish caught was by Silas, and it required Ronnie and Charley to help land it. One of the gentlemen who came with Dr. Hamlin was quite impressed. “Would like to try your luck?”

“I’ll need a rod.”

“Dad, do you have extra rods?”

I handed one of the extra rods to him, Ronnie gave him some bait, and we watched. Three of the boys needed help so now all of the men had to help. I was surprised Dr. Hamlin and two of his party helped as well. We must have run into a school of fish. Everyone was catching fish. The captain and first mate were laughing. I pulled my traps, the shrimp trap was full, and not only that they were very large shrimp. I quickly baited the shrimp traps and dropped them. The lobster traps had 4 or 5 lobsters. No, I needed help putting rubber bands on their claws. Colin was too busy, so Dr, Hamlin was recruited to help. I also noticed we weren’t moving. I looked at the captain, he nodded and held his thumbs up. Later he told me it looked like he ran into a school of fish and as long as the boys were catching them he thought he would stay. I couldn’t argue with that.

If I had to guess, each boy had caught at least three fish.

The first mate and Ronnie went and brought up the captain’s cooler. I had two of my four shrimp coolers filled and the third was half full. One lobster cooler was filled, the second could hold one more and it would be filled. I still had my shrimp traps in the water along with my lobster traps.

We sat there fishing until lunchtime. I don’t think the kids wanted to stop. Our coolers were getting filled as well as the captains. Colin had hot dogs and sausage. He said Geno insisted. The sausage was about the size of a hot dog so it was okay. Ronnie had a pan of fried onions, the boys wanted the hotdogs without the onions. A few of the older Italian boys tried the sausage and then had a hotdog. Dr, Hamlin’s guests also had one of each. I had half of Pierre’s sausage and a hotdog. I also had one of his two peanuts.

Watching him I realized he was different. I couldn’t place my finger on why until it clicked. Until the adoption, he was in limbo. Who’s next, what will the next guardian be like, the adoption washed all of those fears away. He was home and he knew it.

With the coolers full, we headed home. It was a slow leisurely trip back. There was no fishing, and coolers were full, I told Dr. Hamlin he brought us luck. I knew what he was going to say before he said it. “I hope my friends have realized what these boys experienced today can be experienced by the children in the homes in New York. I can’t wait until tomorrow when we visit your home.”

“You will see some of it tonight. The cooks will bake some of this fish for dinner. I hope you and your gentlemen will join us. It’s part of the fishing experience.”

“I think one of my guests will want to take his catch home.”

“No problem. We will pack it in ice. We can leave the head on but we should clean it as well, We can pack the cavity with ice.”

Unloading, the boat, I took two coolers of fish, two coolers of shrimp, and several lobsters. The rest would go to the Home.

I dropped one of the fish and one of the shrimp coolers off at the club and headed home. I had one cooler of shrimp and a cooler of fish.

Reaching home, the the buses went straight to the Home, I asked Colin to take our guests to the home and I would follow as soon as the boy’s parents arrived.

Marked asked to use the phone, Pierre showed him I went and took the shrimp coolers, and divided the shrimp into seven plastic bags.

As the boys got ready to go, I gave them a fish and a bag of shrimp. One of the boy's dads asked if he could trade the shrimp for a fish. He said he was allergic to shrimp. So I traded him and put the shrimp in our refrigerator.

Colin stopped and dropped off the uneaten hot dogs and sausage. I put them in the freezer. I’ll drop them off at the Home during the week.

With all of the boys gone, I took a moment. All of the boys will be at Home today except Louis, Mary Ann, and Louise. I worried more about Louise than the other two. Before leaving, I asked GG to look after them.

Arriving at the Home, two boys were waiting for me. “Dad, we caught a lot of fish today.”

“How many did you catch Les? Silas, how many did you catch?”

“I caught three, Dad. They were heavy.”

Looking at Silas, “I caught two, Dad.”

I caught a slight hesitation from Silas when he said, Dad.

Putting my arms around their shoulders, we walked to the kitchen. That was where we were chased out and had to use the front door.

Walking into the living room, our guests were comfortably sitting. “Armand, they said dinner won’t be ready until 6:30. Would you mind giving these gentlemen, the tour you gave me?”

“Certainly”

“Walking to the infirmary, “Did you get your fish on ice?”

“Yes, the tall football player said he would give us a ride to our hotel.”

I introduced them to our doctor and nurse. Dr. Hamlin pointed out the X-ray machine.

Leading them to the steps, one of the gentlemen, I never was introduced to him, wanted to know what was in that hall.

“There are rooms, some equipped with cribs and some with children's beds.”

“Harry, that is where that little girl sleeps, Can you show him the bed?”

I opened the door and turned on the light. The room looked like the bed of sleeping beauty.

Leaving that area, we headed to the second floor, Now Dr. Hamlin took over. He showed them the library pointing out the school books as well as the books in different languages.

I knocked on several doors when Tommy gave me a master key. I opened the door and Timmy was sleeping. I went and kissed his cheek. “Hi, Dad.”

“Did all of the fishing tire you out?”

“I always need a nap after fishing.”

“You go back to sleep while I show these gentlemen your apartment okay?” A nod was what I got.

One noticed the bank and the portrait above the boy’s desk, Then they saw the arrow. “Each apartment has its own closet and bathroom.” I proceeded to show them.

They looked around, one commented on the bathroom being clean.

“Do they have cleaning personnel?”

“Yes, but the cleaning of the apartments is the responsibility of the occupants.”

They asked about the apartments with the names on the door. I explained those are staff apartments.

The third floor was similar to the second floor. I did show them the girl's wing.

On the fourth floor, I showed them the vacant apartment. I explained that child services don’t fund children when they reach the age of 18.”These apartments are for them until they are ready to leave, We are building four more in this area,”

Pepe yelled, “Dinner is ready.”

I stopped on the second floor to be sure a certain young man was up and he was.

Walking into the dining room always brings a smile to my face. My girls were waiting along with my boys. I saw Pierre sitting on a stool opposite where I sat,

Tommy escorted the men to the head table where Pepe, Pat, our doctor, and our nurse sat.

Pat introduced them to a simple prayer, “We give thanks for our food, a place of safety, and people who care about us.”

The girls always end with a kiss on my cheek after they say this. The boys give me a fist bump.

Then everyone gets quiet while the first course is delivered to the head table. This is followed by the first course being served to everyone. I always get a larger serving. There are six of us at my seat, I had a simple job, making sure everyone got some of the first course and today it was a cream of vegetable. I looked for Charles, he wasn’t in the dining room, which meant he was in the kitchen.

With the soup dishes cleared from the tables, the main course was next. Baked fish, small pies with vegetables in a cream sauce with corn meal, and a fresh salad with a vinaigrette dressing. Now I wondered where this side of the fish came from. I’ll talk to Charles tonight.

I didn’t have time to watch the head table, I had my side table. I glanced at Colin and got a thumbs up.

With the main course down, I only wanted a cup of coffee. That wasn’t going to happen. Ice cream with fresh berries. When the girls tried to give me some, I told them they should eat it I was full. I did have to feed my boys.

With the dishes cleared and coffee was served to the head table, some on rattled a coin bag. It was allowance time.

“Who caught the first fish tonight?”

A boy put up his hand, “Teddy, you are the first to bring your bank over.”

I put a quarter in his bank and hugged him. Colin looked at me, I knew what I did. I heard the ‘thanks, dad’

Then the boys and girls came with their banks and I knew it, dropped a quarter, hug and ‘hanks Dad’.

When they returned without their banks, they headed to the game room.

One of Dr, Hamlin’s guests asked where did everyone go.

“Follow me.”

I was last in line, he led them to the game room. On the way they saw the kitchen and before entering they saw the refrigerators, washers, and dryers. Then the game room.

Dr. Hamlin sat in the same chair as before and soon a little girl was on his lap. I sat in my usual chair and I had two girls on my lap. I had boys sitting around me on the floor. Pedro came in and soon he was surrounded by boys. They wanted popcorn.

“I want to thank you for today. My friends enjoyed the fishing and the dinner was outstanding. I’ll ask, I know they will not ask, “Was that a normal dinner or something put on just for us.”

“Every time we go fishing, we have a dinner like that on Saturday. We freeze the fish and on occasion, we will have fish for dinner.”

“What do you do for the holidays? Like Thanksgiving or Christmas.”

“For Thanksgiving we have turkey. Only our turkey has more than two legs. Christmas is usually ham. Eater depends on who our visitors are at that time.”

“Who pays for all of this.”

“Our patrons,” I thought, thank you, Tommy.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
  • Love 28
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

The successful fishing trip and tour of the home have set the hook for the prospective sponsors.  Let's hope that Dr. Hamlin can real them in as permanent sponsors.  Louise studying to be a model may concern Armand and Colin, but I a sure GG will help Louise avoid trouble.  There is always the possibility that Louise can use the skills she will learn in a related career and not become a model.  I think Pierre will make an excellent teacher if he chooses that career.  He is a great problem solver, empathetic, knows how to build trust, and has a great deal of patience.  The students will want to bond with him as their mentor/teacher.  

  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 10/15/2023 at 2:18 AM, raven1 said:

The successful fishing trip and tour of the home have set the hook for the prospective sponsors.  Let's hope that Dr. Hamlin can real them in as permanent sponsors.  Louise studying to be a model may concern Armand and Colin, but I a sure GG will help Louise avoid trouble.  There is always the possibility that Louise can use the skills she will learn in a related career and not become a model.  I think Pierre will make an excellent teacher if he chooses that career.  He is a great problem solver, empathetic, knows how to build trust, and has a great deal of patience.  The students will want to bond with him as their mentor/teacher.  

He will need a lot of peanuts

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..