Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,259 Words
  • 1,619 Views
  • 11 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 81. Chapter 81

Saturday turned out to be a hectic day. The boys were excited, I think James would have liked to have gone with us, but Marcel needed him. We drove to the orphanage to wait for the buses.

I knew the children would be excited. Colin had t-shirts for them. The t-shirt had a picture of a goat on the front with one leg raised with a base ball glove on. The picture was funny and the children laughed. A few were going around saying ‘baa’.

The buses arrived, and now to board. I remembered how orderly they boarded the buses for the zoo trip and now I saw them boarding these buses the same way. No pushing or shoving, they orderly boarded.

The ball field was only a 30-45 minute ride. Pat and the two cooks came with us.

Arriving at the field, we were met by the owners of the Hartford Yard Goats. They had tee-shirts for everyone. No sooner did the boys receive a t-shirt, they changed. Pat asked if the boys would leave the bus so the girls could wear a t-shirt. I laughed as one girl took off her t-shirt and had her t-shirt on before the boys left. Pat just gave up and even though most of the boys left the bus, the girls changed.

Once changed, Colin had them lined up in front of the stadium. Out came his camera, he must have taken at least 10 photos the last including the owners as they surrounded the group.

The Hartford stadium isn’t a large stadium, probably holds 1200 to 1500 spectators. There is a small radio broadcasting booth, a snack counter and restrooms.

Walking into the stadium, they had roped off a section behind the home plate for the kids. Before the players arrived, the announcer welcomed the children from City Orphanage. When the kids heard that, they stood, and being kids, started to wave their arms.

The children from the orphanage weren’t the only kids there. I saw families, fathers and sons and some, what must have been, old fans. It wouldn’t surprise me if some of those gentlemen played for the Goats when there were younger.

As the Goat players came on the field, under the direction of Colin, the kids stood and yelled. I few of the players, stopped and bumped fists with the kids. Then two girls led out the mascot, a white goat with a blanket stating ‘Hartford Goat’. Now we had a problem. The younger children wanted to pet it. The girls led the goat to the barrier between the field and spectator seats. The kids reached over the barrier to pet the goats. Those who were too small, Colin lifted them so they could pet the goat.

One of the little girls asked Uncle Colin if he could buy her one. Colin looked at me, I laughed.

Between the first and second innings, I called a toy store and explained about the orphanage children attending the Goats game. He asked how many stuffed goats we would need. “I’ll check and call back.” I went to see Pat. “Pat, how many children do we have with us?”

“We have 59 with us and there are 5 at the orphanage that where too young.”

I called the store back and told them I needed 65. They had 20 but he said he would see what he could round up. I knew he would call around and try to get the 65.

During the 6th inning, the store manager called back, he had rounded up 60. He said that was the best he could do. I told him I’d be over to pick them up. “That isn’t necessary, since we have to pick up several from other stores, we will drop them off.

Now I’m five short.

During the seventh inning stretch, Colin had arranged for the refreshment stand to provide hotdogs and a can of cola. As an attendant passed in front of them he gave each child a hotdog and a small can of soda with a straw. I looked at Pat, she held up her hotdog and smiled.

During the seventh inning stretch, the toy goats arrived. Pat saw them and started to laugh, then the cooks that where with us, saw them. As soon as we started to pass them out, all we heard was ‘baa’. I laughed as the kids showed them to the players.

 

The Goats won. They said the kids brought them good luck. Driving back to the orphanage, all we heard was ‘baa’. I felt sorry for the drivers.

When we arrived at the orphanage, they gave Colin and I a hug as they entered the orphanage. I went and bought ice cream and cookies for them. Pat was concerned they wouldn’t eat a light dinner. The cooks solved that problem. They would get their ice cream and cookie after dinner.

I told Pat that Colin, I and the boys would be out of the country the next few weeks. She asked about James. I told her I had applied to be his guardian until he reached 21. Hopefully, I’ll know something tomorrow at lunch. “I’d like for you to be our guest for lunch tomorrow.”

“Thank you. I’ll bring some of our staff with me and James’s best friend.”

“If you need a ride, let me know.”

Driving home, “Tonight, we need to pack for tomorrow.”

“Dad, we have never rode on an airplane.”

“You’re not afraid are you? Pop and I will be with you.” The smiles said it all.

Arriving home, they had to tell Uncle Marcel about the game. Then Uncle Jimmy. I laughed as the story grew a little each time. I wonder what the story will be when they tell Mom and Dad.

 

Saturday night, with the boys tucked in for the night, I waited for Colin and James on the roof. I heard laughter before I saw them. “What’s so funny?”

“I think James may have a girl friend.”

“Really? Who is the lucky girlfriend?”

“Ready for this? Marylou.”

I started to laugh, then I stopped. Marylou has never had a boyfriend to my knowledge. I wonder what she has up her sleeve. “James, how do you feel about her?”

“She’s alright but I don’t want a girl friend. I told her I thought she was a nice girl but I don’t have room right now in my life for a girl friend.”

“What did she say when you told her that?”

“She said she will decide that.”

I laughed, “Somewhere along the line, she has never been denied anything. Now she feels what ever she wants, she can have.”

“I’m not ready for a girlfriend.”

“Stick to that.”

“When you are gone, do I still have to go back to the orphanage on Monday and Tuesday?”

“I spoke to a judge this week. He has agreed to make Colin and I your Guardian until you are 21. I am hoping tomorrow he will have the papers. If he does, you will live with us until you are 21.”

James doesn’t smile very often, but he did tonight. “What does that mean?”

“You will be living with us. We will be responsible for you and you can count on us being here for you.”

Colin and I got a hug, which surprised us. James has always treated us with respect and if he was Tommy’s age, we would probably adopt him. In my eyes, he was a great kid.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 26
  • Love 30
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Loved this chapter, what a great day at the ballpark and a great time had by all!!

Hartford Yard Goats (MILB)- AA Rockies Affiliate | Goat logo, Sports ...

Now the vacation begins!!

 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Great day at the ballpark!  I don't fear for James.  He is much more intelligent than to fall for ML.  Marcel will use his spoon to knock sense into James if needed to fend off an advance from ML.  Loved the comments on this.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..