Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 3,331 Words
  • 923 Views
  • 15 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 188. Chapter 188

At breakfast, I told Colin and Marie that we will have five boys as guests for a few days. David wanted to know who they were, “Dad, do we know these boys?”

“You might. But I want you all to welcome these boys.”

Friday evening I brought the five boys home for the weekend. Saturday we will fish and Sunday we will have lunch at the club. Colin will take his golf partners golfing. Sunday evening. He said there were going to hit golf balls, checking out their swing.

Monday I took them back to the Home. I saw a few tears. It wouldn’t have taken much for me to take them home. I knew Tommy had to arrange the adoption and help them pack. Wednesday afternoon Tommy called and said the adoption was set for 1 pm at the courthouse. I told Colin that Richie would be our lawyer. I went to the Home and picked up the boys. I needed to get them suits and dress shoes for the adoption. After picking them up, I drove straight to our tailor shop. I was able to get four suits that fit the older boys but the smallest needed some adjustments. The tailor promised to have it ready on Friday morning. Socks and shoes he had, so that was taken care of. Now one of the older boys asked why do they have to wear suits on Friday. I told him because they are going to meet some important people on Friday and must look nice.

That evening at dinner, I told our boys and girls that they are going to have five new brothers. Their reaction was typical for their age group, Who are they? Are they from the Home? I hope it isn’t Harry, he likes to boss everyone around.

The next question I expected was, “Dad, where are they going to sleep?”

We’ll find room. David, you are sleeping alone since Ronnie moved. So one could bunk in with you. Toby and Gene have one room, and Luis and John have the other room. Across the hall is an empty room and there are three rooms upstairs. When I said that, I realized I could take more children. Later that evening David and Carl came to see me.

“Dad, Carl, and I would like to share my room.” I looked at them, they were both smiling.

“Ok, I suggest you move tonight. Carl, make sure your room and bathroom are clean and the sheets on your bed are clean..

That evening GG came. “There is a child at the Home who people overlook. He is very quiet and needs special attention. Tommy knows who he is. Include him in your Friday's meeting.”

The first thing I did on Thursday morning was to head to the Home. I needed to pick up my five boys but to also find the sixth boy,

Walking into Tommy’s office, after knocking first, "I came to see a special boy.”

“Here are his papers. He is probably in his room. He hardly comes out.”

I went to his room and knocked. The door slowly opened and there stood a small boy. He reminded me of Tommy in size, but the attribute that caught my eye was his blue eyes. They drew you in. I never had seen eyes so blue. Top that off with curly blonde hair, I couldn’t understand why I never noticed him before. “How would you like to go and get an ice cream with me?”

“I have to ask for permission before I can leave.”

“I already have permission but we will stop at the office and let them know we are leaving for a little while.”

He put on a light jacket and a cap. The cap covered his head so you couldn’t tell what color was his hair. I thought he must have been teased about his hair.

Stopping at the office, we are going out for ice cream at the club. Want to come along?”

“I can’t go but Pepe can go if he wants, but if you go, Pepe, bring back one of Uncle Jimmy’s ice. Cream concoctions for me.”

“I’ll open the gate for you Dad.”

“Are you sure you don’t want to go with us, Pepe?”

“No, I’ll stay here and help Tom.” I noticed he called Tommy, Tom. To me, he will always be Tommy.

Peter sat in the front seat. I noticed he was staring at me. I’d look at him and smile, he’d smile back. “Peter, what flavor of ice cream do you like?”

“I don’t know. All we were given was vanilla.”

“Okay, tonight Uncle Jimmy will give you a very special ice cream delight, no vanilla.”

He laughed, but it was more like a giggle.

Arriving at the club, we parked in the back and enter through the back door. The kitchen crew were busy preparing food for tonight. James saw the lad, “Who is your new son, Brother?”

Ever since we became James' guardians he call me brother. and so I called him brother unless I was introducing him as our head chef. I saw the look on Peter’s face at the brother's comment. I wonder if he would mention it later.

“Brother, this is Peter and we came for Uncle Jimmie’s ice cream concoction, only no vanilla.” I watched Peter smile and his blue eyes had a twinkle in them.

Taking Peter’s coat and hat off, I placed them on the kitchen table, we went to see Uncle Jimmie.

Sitting on a stool, I told Jimmy one ice cream surprise but no vanilla. Looking at Peter, he has a big smile on his face.

We watched Uncle Jimmy do his magic, chocolate ice cream with strawberry ice cream topped off with cherry syrup and whipped cream with a big strawberry right on top. He set the glass down in front of Peter handing him a long handle spoon.

Peter just looked, This wasn’t vanilla ice cream. “Eat the strawberry first.”

“Is it good to eat?”

“Have you never eaten strawberries?”

“No, they didn’t have them where I stayed before coming to the Angel’s home.”

“Well now is the time to taste a strawberry.” I watched as he took a bite, his smile said it all.

Jimmy must have said something to the kitchen crew they came out to watch someone enjoy eating a strawberry. We who were fortunate never had to miss seasonal fruits or flavored ice creams and so when we see someone discover the wonders of a fruit or a flavor, it makes us smile. I think the whole mood in the kitchen changed. We took the ice cream and went and sat at the kitchen table. The cooks would ask him which ice cream flavor he liked. He would answer all except vanilla.

When he finished his ice cream Chef James gave him some peanut cookies. I knew those were good.

James gave him four, I watched as put three in his pocket and ate the fourth. I wondered why he did that, I knew James would give a small bag to take back to the Home.

“Don’t you like the cookie?”

“Yes, but I want to save some for later. These three cookies will last me three days.” He smiled as he said that. I was learning about the place he was staying before child services brought him to the Home. I’m going to enjoy having this boy as my son.

After having ice cream and cookies, we had to return to the Home. I needed to get the other five boys and help Peter pack up anything he wanted to take with him.

Arriving at the Home, I went to see Tommy. “Here,, Uncle Jimmy sent this for you.”

“Pepe, get two bowls. We can share this.”

“I stopped Pepe, “Get three bowls”, pointing to Lois.

Tommy called the five boys on the intercom, when they arrived he told them to pack their suitcases they were going to spend the night with Dad.

“Dad, I’ll meet you at the judge’s chambers tomorrow a little before one.”

With all six of the boys, I headed home.

Arriving home, I took the boys to the top floor. “There are three bedrooms here just like you had at the Home. Pair up, and take a room. You’ll have to make your beds and when you have done that I’ll show you where dirty clothes go, where the laundry room is and where we keep bathroom supplies. Like toothpaste, soap, and tissues. When you are done, come down to the kitchen.”

Walking into the kitchen there was John and Tony. “You are just the boys I need. The new boys are upstairs in their rooms. I need someone to show them the laundry area, where the bathroom items are. Like showing them the ropes. What do you say?” They didn’t say anything and headed to the third floor.

I was worried about Peter. He had his own room at the Home and now he’s going to share a room. I wondered who his partner would be.

I was sitting in the kitchen having a cup of coffee when all the boys came and sat down. It was Gerry who asked if it was true that I was going to adopt them and they would live here and not the Home.

Yes, Gerry. Tomorrow we will go to the courthouse. You will talk to the Judge, he will ask you what last name you would like, mine or Pops. You don’t have to be scared, Tommy will be with you.”

“What happens if we don’t want to be adopted?”

“If you don’t want to be adopted, Andy. You will tell the Judge you don’t want to be adopted and then you will return to the Home with Tommy.”

This never occurred before but I wonder if any of these six would decide to stay at the Home rather than be adopted. I wondered what Tommy would say to Pat and what she would think. I know one of her objectives was to place each child in a home with loving parents.

I took the boys to the tailor shop to pick up their suits. I asked if they had a suit for Peter. The tailor said he just might have one. “I made a small suit for my mannequin to show customers we do carry suits for young boys.” I knew he was going to say, children.

I watched as he went to get the suit, I could see Peter’s eyes twinkle. But the smile when he saw the suit, and tried it on, it was as if he just got Santa’s Christmas bag. Now the other boys were anxious to try on their suits. Even Andy smiled looking at himself in the mirror.

The store had everything wrapped and in a box with each boy’s name on it. I almost forgot shoes, but that didn’t take long,

We drove back home, I told the boys to take their suits to their room and carefully hang them in their closet.

I was sitting in the living room waiting for them when Colin and Richie arrived. “How was your day?”

I knew something happened because Richie said he had to get home. Before he left I told him we were planning on having dinner at the club. He’s welcome to join us and if he sees Ronnie let him know. Ritchie left, “What happened at work?”

“One of our old customers said with my belly I reminded him of my dad. Richie heard this and started to laugh, then Anita heard, and she started to laugh. .I don’t look like my dad, do I?”

“That is his suit you are wearing.”

“No, I got this from my closet,”

“Your mom brought more of your dad’s clothes over. She said they were gathering dust and she thought you could wear them.”

“I thought this suit was too big for me.”

I started to laugh. “Don’t worry, I always thought your dad was a handsome man. You might be able to wear his clothes but you are more handsome and I still love you.”

That brought a smile to his face and a kiss to my lips. “Go change, we are going to eat at the club. Tomorrow afternoon we have the adoption of the six..”

“Henry predicted this. He said we will continue to adopt until one of us is dead,”

“Why stop then? As long as one of us is alive, he could continue to adopt.”

“If GG has anything to say about it, this house will always have children in it.”

“When did you see GG?”

“When my Dad died. I was feeling very down and a little afraid. If I had a business problem Dad was always there. Now I was on my own. This old woman came to me in the dead of the night and told me to tuck my shirt in, get off my ass and start taking charge or else. The picture she showed me scared the Hell out of me. I made up my mind. The worst that could happen was I would lose the business but I had the club. So we wouldn’t starve.”

“And you had me.”

“Yes, I had you. I must have been the luckiest man alive. Of course, I knew once you saw me naked you couldn’t resist me.”

Then he laughed, it was catchy and I started to laugh as well.

He went to change into more casual clothes, I went and told Marie we would be eating at the club. I asked her to join us but she had made plans to see Mary. I told her to ask Mary to join us. “Just let me know before we leave.”

That night the big table had to be adjusted, we added a table from the dining room, and Colin sat at one end surrounded by the boys. Mary was going sit facing Colin until she saw Anne Marie. I didn’t say anything but I was thinking it has to be twins. Everyone found a seat even Peter, on my lap, The older boys seemed to gather around Colin and soon I knew why.

“Pop, can we go fishing Saturday?”

I watched Colin play with them. “I don’t know. The ocean is predicted to be very choppy. You would probably get seasick. and then I would need to have the boat cleaned. That would cost a lot of money.”

Then the clincher, “Pop, you can have the money in our banks to help pay for it.”

By the look on Colin’s face, I knew he was surprised. “Let’s see what the weather report says tomorrow. If it is good, we will go fishing.”

Then I heard, “Can we take the boys from the Angel’s home?”

I waited for Colin’s answer but I already knew what it would be, I heard the creak of a rocking chair. Looking at Colin, I knew he heard it as well.

Dinner that night was as if Marcel was cooking. James’s cooking was excellent and I had a feeling Peter and Billy were just as good. I’d hate to lose these chefs, that is what they are, but I’m not sure I could stand in their way if they wanted to leave. The only one I felt would never leave us was James, my brother.

Listening I made a mental note to ask Tommy when did the boys start calling the Home, Angel’s home. Pat must have mentioned the name of the orphanage in Paris. I need to ask Roger what name Arnaud called the place. He told me what Arnaud said when he saw it but I had forgotten. I guess Colin isn’t the only one who is getting old.

I noticed Peter dug right in. As he ate from his plate, I put some of my food on his plate, He never noticed, talking, he just continued eating.. When he was almost finished he laid back against me, “Dad, I’m stuffed. I can’t eat anymore.”

“I’m sorry to hear that because Uncle Jimmy has a new ice cream dessert for you and the other boys.”

“Can we take it home?”

“No, it’ll melt. Ear what you can.” Now I felt bad he ate what was on his plate plus a good portion of mine.

The boys cleared the table, and coffee cups were placed in front of the adults, except Anne Marie. When Uncle Jimmy came in with desserts. I noticed the ice cream glasses weren’t as large as the one Peter had the first time. Again no vanilla, at least not visible. I took a spoonful and I tasted vanilla.

Looking at Peter he was enjoying it. “Good?”

“Dad, there is another flavor of ice cream in this dessert. I have never tasted it before.”

“Do you like it?”

“Yes, what kind is it?”

“I think it is vanilla.” He looked at me as if I was fooling him. I asked Billy to ask Jimmy to come in and bring a scoop of his vanilla ice cream.. When he came in the had a scoop on a small dish. I took it and set it down in front of Peter.

“Dad, that doesn’t look like vanilla ice cream,”

“This ice cream is made by Uncle Jimmy. See those brown spots, they are from the vanilla bean. The next time we are here in the afternoon, we will ask him to show us how to make it.”

Now the other boys wanted a taste, Jimmy is smart, he returned with a small dish of his vanilla ice cream for all the boys and Anne Marie. I think 3 or 4 teaspoons and the ice cream was gone. But their smiles lasted the rest of the evening. I asked Jimmy to make small desserts for my parents for when we stopped on the way home.

On the way out, James gave everyone a small bag of his peanut cookies. “Brother, these two are for Mom and Dad.” I gave him a hug.

It doesn’t sound strange to me when he calls me brother, it feels natural. The one other person who calls me brother is Geno. For a single child, mom and dad have three children. I remember the first time James called my mom, Mom. She had tears in her eyes. I think Mom wanted more children but she could only have one. Whatever Mom wanted Dad went along with it. So Mom adopted James and so did Dad. Now Geno was a little different. But that is another story. They did accept him as a foreign son. The wine had something to do with it.

The love of their life are the children, all of them,

Stopping and giving them their ice cream I introduced the six boys I would be adopting tomorrow. Mom and Dad looked at me as f I was crazy, Leave it to my Peter.

“Hello, Grandmother and Grandfather. My name is Peter and I never had a Grandmother or Grandfather. I hope you will like me because I would like to be your grandson.”

That did it. Mom grabbed him in the tightest hug and soon all six knew what a grandmother's hug was like.. Dad shook hands with a grumpy face,

“Dad, why does Grandfather have a grumpy face?”

“He’s thinking about all the work he will have teaching you all about growing plants. He likes to garden but once he sees you all do the job, he will smile.” I saw Mom go over a swat him in the butt. Whenever we visit Mom and Dad, we have to have a cup of coffee. If she knows we are coming, she will have a cake for us as well.

Before we left. I told Dad that Saturday we are going fishing and I’ll pick him up.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 17
  • Love 27
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

16 hours ago, mikedup said:

So the family is expanding yet agai, I don't think it end any time soon, between the two of them they both have fat hearts , not in a bad way but in a good way they have endless capacity to love , the grand parents have so many grandchildren can only be good for them , a very good chapter 

Thanks. All six boys are having a great time at the club. Leave it to the boys to bring up fishing to Colin. Wit till they go golfing. With all of the boys they should have three or four foursomes 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
On 6/25/2023 at 11:51 AM, chris191070 said:

Six very happy boys, who gain wonderful parents, grandparents, brothers and sister ❤️ 

Even though there is a lot of negativity in this world, sometimes we find good. Let's hope it is clear sailing when they meet the judged.

  • Love 3
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment

Between Peter and Andy, I've almost run out of facial tissue and toilet tissue. Do you own shares in Kleenex @CLJobe? (FYI Kleenex brand tissues are sold in 196 countries - every country in the world). 

Learning more about Andy's history, will explain his fears. And when Andy learns that Armand and Colin agreed long ago to never turn anyone out (without real good cause) of Angel's Home even if they 'age out', his heart will open wide. (Darn, where's the Kleenex 😢)

Thanks Calvin 🫂 

Edited by Anton_Cloche
  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..