Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,591 Words
  • 921 Views
  • 15 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 183. Chapter 183

Walking into the crepe restaurant behind the hotel where we had stayed on previous visits was like going to a restaurant at home. They remembered us, which is always nice. We waited while they pulled the tables together, Richie and Anne Marie joined us. They had the friend of Anne Marie with them, a new face but welcomed. Our conversation was in French so I watched David and Pepe. I knew Grandmere taught Pepe French as part of her teaching at the Home. Not hearing him speak it, I wasn’t sure how conversant he was. It appeared he was at the same level as David.

We placed our order when Jean arrived. I asked for an additional chair. After squeezing together, a chair was placed between Colin and me.

“Before I came over, I spoke to Arnaud. He is looking forward to seeing you.”

“If he is as ill as you say, maybe we should ask Roger to fly over.”

“That might not be a bad idea.”

I had Roger’s phone number on my phone but before I called him I needed to check the airlines. “I’ll call him after we finish lunch.”

When you have a group of people with various experiences, conversation flows easily. Carl told Richie and Anne Marie that he had a painting in the Louvre. Richie was very complementary, “I guess you will have to show us. If not later today, tomorrow for sure.”

I was afraid someone would be popping buttons.

Have you ever noticed, as soon as the food arrives, silence prevails, except for forks and knives hitting the plates?

“Colin, pick up the tab. I’m going over to the hotel and call Roger. I’ll book his flight after he agrees to fly over.”

The walk to the hotel and the phone call was quick. Roger didn’t know Arnaud was ill. I check the flights and booked a seat for Roger. I called him back giving him the flight information.

Returning to the restaurant, Colin was just paying the check.

“Jean, do you know where this home that Arnaud bought for an orphanage?”

“Yes, he showed it to me when he was working with Pat. Do you want to see it before we go and see Arnaud?”

“Yes, I need to get an idea of what I’ll need to paint his angel.”

We followed Jean. I could hear Colin in the back laughing. I turned and looked at him. He told me to turn around before I fell. Walking backward wasn’t the smartest thing to do.

Approaching the house, I was amazed at the size. I had expected a larger house since Arnaud was so impressed with the Home. The house was very narrow, with a central door flanked by two windows. “Jean, I expected a larger house. How many rooms are there?”

“Don’t judge the house by what you see. The house has a full basement and three stories. It may look narrow but it actually covers several lots. The house is quite large and because of the impression people get from looking at the front, Arnaud was able to buy it at a very reasonable price.”

“Can we go inside?”

“Sure.” We knocked on the door. An older woman answered the door asking what we wanted. Jean introduced us and told her that Arnaud wanted us to look at the place. “We will be meeting with Monsieur Arnaud later this afternoon. He has commissioned a well-known artist to create a sign to hang over the front door.” I was glad Jean didn’t say anymore.

The construction of the first floor was like a large hall with doors that led to various rooms. The rooms were long and rather narrow. On the left side was a dining room and a kitchen. There was a door that led to the outside, the back of the house, and a door that led to the basement.

“I assume the bedrooms are on the top two floors.”

“Yes. Each floor has a bathroom at the end of the hall.”

“How many boys can sleep here?”

“It varies from 6 to 10. We can sleep a maximum of 16. Monsieur Arnaud was thinking of a bed that had a bed over the bottom bed. If he did that, then we could double the number of boys.”

“No girls?”

“No sir.”

Leaving we thank the lady for showing us around.

“Jean, I will need supplies to make Arnaud his sign. I’ll need a board about 4-5 feet wide and 8 feet in length. I generally make my own paints but I’ll need to buy paint and brushes. If you can get the board and point me to a store where I can buy my points, I can start on this tomorrow.”

“How long will it take?”

“With my helper, it will depend on the type of wood and the paint. Allowing time for the paint to dry, I’ll stay here until it is finished. Colion can take the group to Spain and I’ll catch up with them.”

We hailed taxis and headed to see Arnaud. “Roger will be here tomorrow morning. Can you meet him, this is his traveling info.”

Arriving at Arnaud’s home, Christian met us at the door. “I didn’t tell Dad you were coming so this will be a surprise for him.”

“How ill is your father?”

“I think he is just bored. Now I do everything he did, except travel. He has lost interest in doing that. Maybe you can ignite that spark in him again.”

“Where is he now?”

“In his old office. My office is where we had lunch that first time you visited us.”

“Richie, You and Anne Marie knock and go in first. We will follow.”

We stood back while they knocked and enter when Arnaud said, “Enter”

“Christen, since when do you knock?”

“It isn’t Christen Uncle Arnaud.”

Arnaud turned around in his chair. He was sitting with his back to the door looking out his window. Turning around he saw Richie and a beautiful young woman. He rose from his chair, and greeted Rich with a hug and kisses on the cheek, “Who is this beautiful young lady.”

“Uncle Arnaud, this is my wife, Anne Marie.”

Arnaud smiled as he hugged Anne Marie. Then is clicked. “Where is the rest of your family?”

Hearing that, they all entered his office. It was like a party, “Christian, get some refreshments.”

Now, it was a party. Arnaud seemed to come alive. Armand whispered to Jean, “The old Arnaud is back.”

Introductions had to be made, Arnaud commented on Mary Ann and Louise, “You are lucky to have such pretty daughters.”

Arnaud insisted they have something to eat and so they moved to the dining room.

It was late when the party broke up. Arnaud reminded Armand about his angel. “I haven’t forgotten.”

On the way back to Grandmere’s home, Richie asks them to stop at the hotel they had stayed at on their trips to Paris. He was going to book a room there for him and Anne Marie. Tommy and Pepe decided they would stay there’d as well/ “Dad, it will allow the boys to sleep in a bed. David, Tony, and Louis can sleep in one room. Toby and John can sleep in the other room.”

“Are you sure?”

All four of them agreed they were sure.

Arriving back at Grandmere’s home, Armand explained that Tommy and Pepe were staying with Richie and Anne Marie. But before going to Grandmere’s home they had stopped at the patisserie where they bought several bottles of wine, bread, and pastries. “Dad, get some of that cheese and that sausage.”

I smiled, we will have some of the cheese and sausage for breakfast tomorrow.

Walking into the house, the boys handed Grandmere the food. Of course, we had to open the wine while we told her of our day.

I think that night we all slept well.

The next morning, Jean and Roger stopped to see us and they stayed for breakfast. It was like a party. The boys said we needed to rake some of the sausage home with us. I told them to ask James. “I’ll bet he will know how to make it”

“Arrnand, why don’t you paint that angel for Arnaud at the Louvre? I’m sure there are canvasses there that you can use. All you’ll need is paint and you can get it this morning.”

“OK, let’s see if we can find a canvas. That would save time.”

“Dad, will a canvas hold up in the weather? The sign will be exposed to all kinds of weather.”

“We will have to treat the canvas. I have an idea.”

Over the next week, Armand and Carl worked on creating Arnaud’s angel. The painting was easy, the problem was the protection of the image. Armand was going to coat the painting with a clear coating of lacquer. He tried it in a section of the painting and it seemed to work.

“It’s going to need several coats of lacquer and it will distort the white of the angel. Dad, why don’t we provide a roof over the painting.”

“Good idea .”

With the painting mounted in a box that was attached to the outside wall of the front of the house, Arnaud had a light installed that showed on the angel.

Standing back, looking up at the angel, Armand and Carl smiled. They will tell you the angel smiled back.

Now to catch up with Colin and the gang.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 19
  • Love 20
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Their visit to Paris was a success.  The painting will be a welcoming image that greets new boys that enter the home.  Arnaud is also well, and I hope he decides to join Armand and Collin for the rest of the trip.  It would do wonders to improve his mental health. A very heartwarming chapter.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
20 hours ago, raven1 said:

Their visit to Paris was a success.  The painting will be a welcoming image that greets new boys that enter the home.  Arnaud is also well, and I hope he decides to join Armand and Collin for the rest of the trip.  It would do wonders to improve his mental health. A very heartwarming chapter.

Arnaud will not leave his homw to travel with Armand and family. He went with them to Greece as a tour guide and left early. Arnaud along with Jean and possibly Roger will ewsume their travel to check out artists.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
On 6/10/2023 at 11:54 AM, CLJobe said:

Thanks. That is an interesting photo you have in your comment. Someone you know?

She just reminds me of My Scottish Grandmother Annafred 🥹

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment

The family's visit to Arnaud seemed to be just the thing to re-inspire him, and make him feel valued and needed. (Especially when his attempt to recreate Armand & Colin's "The Home" was not the success he hoped for). Hopefully the angel Armand and Carl painted for over the entrance will attract more homeless children to this refuge. 

Speaking of the painting, I'm surprised they settled on canvas. Lacquer will offer a degree of protection, but having it not just in a display box, but with special glass will make it more secure. (people steal Banksy murals off walls, so you never know. Better safe than sorry).

Thanks again @CLJobefor this wonderful tale.

Be well. 🫂

  • Love 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..