Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 3,220 Words
  • 1,057 Views
  • 34 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 242. Chapter 242

This is the final chapter. Life begins at birth and ends at death. What is important is the time between, the legacy we leave. Colin and Armand created a family out of love and concern. This was a lifelong trip.

Pierre flew home for his meeting. He brought photos that he had to share with the boys. We did take the coins to the bank and I was glad they were out of the house. After he left to return home, Ronnie and Richie told me he asked them to stand for him when he got married.

“When did he say he was going to get married?”

“He said on his next trip home, Pop will come with him and the cottage will be finished. With all of the family here, he wants to be married at home.”

was happy for him. But David and Gerry need to start making plans.

Over the next three months, I utilized Julia and Anne Maria to plan the wedding.

Looking at the photos Pierre brought with him, I saw several photos of Colin. To me, he looked tired. I wanted him home.

 

Pierre and Colin will be home in four weeks, wedding plans need to be firmed. Ronnie said the wedding banquet will be held at the club and James will supervise. There was one other change in the club’s staff, Roberto arrived with his wife. We were surprised in one sense and grateful in another sense. The boys working with the kitchen staff furnished the third floor for them. Except for Charles, Peter and Billy took over the second-floor apartment,

As it turned out we had three weddings. The first was David’s and Clair's.. Looking at David, all I saw was love in his eyes.

Gerry and June were next. According to Gerry, David’s wedding pushed him over the cliff.

I gave the boys a cruise for their wedding present. David and Clair took a cruise to England with stops in Ireland. For Gerry, his cruise took him to the Meditterean with stops in Greece and Portugal. Now I had to think about Pierre.

Ronnie said to fly him to California and book him a cruise to Hawaii. I thought that was a good idea, so that is what I did.

One evening before Pierre arrived, Richie stopped over. Sitting in the kitchen drinking coffee, “Dad, you remember those two guys that attracted Pierre?”

“Vaguely, why?

“If Pierre asks about them, what do I tell him?”

“The truth. How much longer do they have on their sentence?”

“They will be free in 18 months.”

“I doubt they will bother him. They might go after Christian, but that’s Christian’s problem.”

“Pop looks tired in these photos.”

“I’m afraid he takes on too much. He knows we don’t have the energy we once had. I want him home.”

“When is he coming home?”

“He will come home with Pierre’s next business trip, which should be in a few weeks.”

One week after discussing with Ronnie and Richie about Colin’s health, Ronnie came over.

“Dad, I got a message from Pierre. He will be home this Friday and I’m going to meet him at the airport.”

I was smiling, Colin will be home.

“Dad, we need to prepare for a wedding.”

So now I knew who else would be coming home. This will be the last of my boys getting married.

 

The night before Ronnie was to go to the airport, I told David about Pop coming home. “Dad, we need to celebrate.”

I thought, I know just how we would celebrate, dinner at the Home. I drove to the Home, I wanted to talk to James.

I was beginning to get a little excited. David said I looked like a kid on Christmas Eve. Can’t wait for Santa Claus only for me it was Pop.

I was up early that Saturday morning. I put clean sheets on our bed, cleaned our bathroom, and even sprayed it with a deodorizer. David laughed, “You are excited.”

“Yes, Pop and I have been together for 70 years. He’s like a part of me. I miss him.”

“I wonder if Clair and I will be together that long.”

“Focus your efforts on making each day special for her and you. Don’t take her for granted and make it your job to put a smile on her face every night. Whatever time you will have on this earth, will be full of love. That is all anyone can promise.”

 

Ronnie stopped in for a coffee, “I’m on my way to pick them up. You going to be okay?”

“I’ll be okay as soon as I see Pop.” Ronnie was laughing when he left.

“David, we need to freshen the bedrooms.”

I needed to come up with a honeymoon for Pierre and Colette. “Anne Marie, I need to plan a honeymoon. David and Gerry went to Europe, but Pierre lived in Europe. Julia said she and Ronnie had a fantastic time in Hawaii. Fly them to California and book them on a boat to Hawaii.”

That is what I did. I wasn’t sure if Pierre had other plans, so the booking was tentative.

I had fixed lunch for David, Clair, and I. We sat in the dining room, and from there I could see Ronnie approaching the house. I was glad for David, Clair was a quiet person, she was the type of person David needed. I started to think about some of the bossy women I met at the club. David would be scared to go near them. That got me thinking about all of my children. I was proud of them, considering their reason for being taken to the Home, the scars were covered with Colin and my love.

“Dad, what’s wrong?”

“I’m sorry David. I was thinking about the children at the Home. I wish I hadn’t grow old so fast, I would have adopted more. Pop and my time is limited, we are old and those children opened their hearts to us. I love to go there but leaving is painful.”

“Look there is Ronnie.”

I was up and out of the door. David said he never saw me move so fast.

Colin got out, but he couldn’t move. I was hugging him for all I was worth. “Miss me, did we?”

“Yes, and there will no more separating us.”

Then Pierre got out but instead of hugging me turned and helped someone out. It was Mere, I hugged her. “I can’t believe I am in America,”

“Well, you are and no one is more happy to see you than me.”

I was waiting to greet Colette, I looked in the van and it was empty. “Where’s Colette?”

“Pop. Told her to get out at the galleria,”

I looked at Colin. He started to laugh, “Pierre is getting married, he can’t see his bride until the ceremony”

Now I knew I was out of the loop. Colin from Paris had Ronnie and Richie arrange everything. But I had the tickets for the honeymoon.

Pierre went to work Monday morning, Richie and Ronnie drove him into New York telling him they would be back for him at 4.

With Pierre gone, Ann Marie brought Colette over to the house. Colin, Mere, and I were sitting in the kitchen drinking coffee. As the week passed, that seemed to be where we could be found.

Colette wanted a tour and Anne Marie was more than willing. Julia was at work or I’m sure she would be here as well. The whole reason Anne Marie brought Colette, besides seeing the house, was a shopping trip was in order. That was when I found out I was the designated driver. I looked at Colin, “You go. Mere and I will stay here.”

For the next 4 hours, we shopped or rather they shopped and I carried packages back to the van. When Colette was trying on clothes, Anne Marie wanted to know if I had finalized the honeymoon. I told them I had and the destination was Hawaii. Now, we needed bathing suits, shoes, cover-ups. So back we went. Now I was taking the clothes Anne Marie would point, to the cashier and the van. I have come to the conclusion, women are sneaky.

Pierre attended his meetings all week. Friday night the boys took him to the club. When they returned, they dumped him in bed, clothes and all.

The wedding was scheduled for 3, and their flight to California was at 6.

At eight, Pierre was still asleep. David and I put him in the shower, clothes and all, turned on the cold water, and waited. It didn’t take long before we heard a yell and a soaked Pierre was standing in the doorway to the bathroom.

“David, get him dried and dressed, I’ll make some coffee. Then we will try and get some breakfast in him.”

Walking into the kitchen, “Mere, you are on holiday.”

“Some habits are hard to break.”

“Did you hear them when they came home last night?”

“No, but I heard him this morning.”

“Nothing like a cold shower for a hangover. I’ll speak to Richie and Ronnie. What they did last night wasn’t nice.”

I sat with my coffee, and soon someone else was sharing my stool. “Did you sleep well?”

“Best sleep I have had since you left Paris.” That got him a morning kiss.

Mere looked at us, “How long have you been married.”

I had to think, Colin said forever. “We were 26, we received our degrees in the Spring, and in the fall of that year we went to Amsterdam and got married. Next month it will be 70 years. I must love you to put up with your snoring all these years.” Then I started to laugh.

“Good morning, want breakfast or just coffee?”

“Let’s start with coffee, then we will see about breakfast.”

“How are you Mere? Dad, you need to take Mere to the Home. They will fall in love with her.”

I looked at him, trying to decide if he was still drunk or serious.

Then I knew, “And while you go there, we can stop and see Ivan.”

The devil, he wasn’t as drunk as I thought he was. He deserved the cold shower.

“How much did you drink last night?”

“I drank wine and only wine. Did you know that you could add grape juice to wine which blends in but the wine looks the same? Your bartender told me that I need to be careful he heard Richie and Ronnie say they were going to get me drunk. I wasn’t at the pass-out stage but I had enough to act silly.”

“Eat your breakfast and then we will go and introduce Mere to Ivan and the peanut roaster.”

I drove, and Colin sat next to me. He looked tired. Ivan was happy to see Pierre. He rounded up the two boys who were helping him and Pierre taught them how to roast peanuts. I think the first few minutes they ate more than what was put in the sacks. Mere took the tour, and then she went and had a coffee with Elsie.

Pierre and the boys loaded the van with three sacks of peanuts, I got Mere and headed to the Home. Mere was worried about Pierre. I told her he would be there before us. I think she worried until she saw him opening the gate for us. I drove closer to the kitchen, Colin got out and opened the van door for Mere. Then I heard peanuts. Pierre took one, cracked it offered half to Mere. When the boys saw that, Colin and I had to share a peanut as they shared with Mere and Pierre. Mere mentioned something to Pierre in French and now the boys started to speak to Mere in French, only they called her grandmere.

Walking into the kitchen, James wrapped Pierre. “Where’s my French translation?”

Pierre laughed, “It’s coming.”

Now introductions and Mere had an escort. The boys took her hand, and that was the last I saw of her. I told James that Pierre was getting married this afternoon and I wanted to have dinner at the club.

“Why don’t you have it here? the kids would love to be a part of it.

I thought why not? It might be fun. With Gerry’s approval, we would have the wedding dinner at home.

Lunch was hot dogs, and James had a big dinner planned. At the Home, nothing is just hot dogs. There was Charles soup, small roasted potatoes, and hot dogs. Quick but nutritional, James would have it no other way.

Anne Marie and Julia decorated the living room. Colette would be dressed at their homes, and Pierre would see her only at the ceremony. Richie and Ronnie were talking about the wedding dinner at the club. Just before the ceremony started, I told them the wedding dinner would be at the Home.

“Dad, we had it planned.”

“When you both got married did anyone take you out the night before and get you drunk? Did anyone plan a dinner with the idea of getting the groom drunk on his wedding night? Why are you doing it to him?” I just walked away. I was disappointed in their childish tricks.

“I hate to say this but Dad is right.”

“We need to apologize to Dad.” “And Pierre.”

I went to my old studio, Carl was there. “What are you working on?”

“A wedding present for Pierre. I have these photographs Pop brought with him. What do you think?”

“Pierre couldn’t ask for a better gift from his brother.”

“He is my brother, I forgot that. Do you think I could stay with him when I go to Paris?”

“Ask him but I would be surprised if he said no.”

“How is Carla doing?”

“She said this baby is different than Carl.”

“In what way?” He wants out?”

Laughing I left Carl to his painting.

The girls brought Colette to the house, they went into Clair’s bedroom. I was told to get Pierre ready. That meant I had to go and get him and Mere from the Home.

Arriving home, I told Pierre to get dressed, Mere went to help the ladies, and Colin and I went to dress.

He was in a good mood. “When the man asks Pierre if he takes Colette as his wife, I’m going to say I take you as my partner.”

“You better not say wife.” That led to a kiss. After 70 years I would choose no other.

The wedding was beautiful and then all weddings are beautiful. Colette changed into her traveling clothes, suitcases were packed for their holiday, and we were off to the Home. The older boys teased Pierre, he told them when it was their turn, he would tease them.

Dinner was better than a 4-star restaurant. Marcel deserved his title and as far as I was concerned James deserved the title as well. Even Colette remarked on the quality of dinner. She told James she had eaten in four-star restaurants here in the States and none of them compared to the meal he served tonight. She started clapping, soon everyone was standing and clapping. James made a friend tonight and she wasn’t going to forget.

Ronnie took them to the airport and told them he would meet them when they came back

Quiet reign at home. We slept late, and spent time together. “Colin, our time here is limited. Promise me that when our time comes, we go together. One thing you being away helping Pierre taught me, I don’t want to live without you. Promise me.”

“I promise.”

The day before Pierre was due back, Colin wanted to take a walk. Holding hands as two young lovers, we walked through the trees. “Richie was right, his dad had a beautiful home.”

“Ronnie’s home is beautiful and functional for a football enthusiast. His boys play on the varsity squad. This fall we should go and see them play.”

“Bring the kids from the Home like we did when he played.”

Walking through the trees, there were the apartments. “Are they full?”

“No, the two-bedroom is about half but the three-bedroom is reaching capacity. Ronnie has the plans for another three bedrooms on that spot there.”

“Car park is finished. Charley finished that when we were in Paris. You haven’t been here for a while, have you?”

“No, it has been quite a while.”

“Come I want to show you something.”

Walking around the back, I was amazed. There was a swimming pool/ One side was cabanas and change rooms, and there were showers, and a mechanical e=room for filters. I listened as Colin explained everything. “Look at that fountain, tell me what you see.”

There was a copy of our wedding picture in glass. The water from the fountain fell over the picture.

“Come and sit here. The sun is warm.”

We pulled two lounge chairs together, holding hands, and we took a nap. I don’t know how long we were sleeping, I awoke something was different. I took Colin to wake him and then I realized. “NO COILIN, WE WERE TO GO TOGETHER. DON’T LEAVE ME. COLIN COME BACK. NO, NO COLIN COME BACK

“Dad, Dad, he’s gone.”

I looked up at Ronnie, “NO, COLIN DON’T DO THIS TO Me,

Then I felt a pinch, I was asleep again.

I woke up in my chair in my living room. I felt the absence of Colin. I called for GG but she didn’t answer. I got up from my chair, went to the small bedroom, and fell asleep. My days went by but I never noticed. A cup was pressed to my lips, and I drank. Food on a fork was pressed to my lips, and I ate. I slept in the small room, I knew I smelt, and I hadn’t showered since Colin left. I cried myself to sleep. I felt abandoned, no Colin, no GG. It was David who brought me back. \

“Dad, I know what it feels like to be abandoned, it’s a living death. You saved me, now I’m going to save you.

He sat me in the shower and turned on the water. He took liquid soap and a washcloth and started to wash me. Then I heard help him. So I took the cloth and soap and started to clean myself. Dried, I put on fresh clothing, I need to go to the knoll. I knew that was where I would find Colin.

David drove me and then walked with me. Entering, “Dad, did you see what Carl did?”

I looked at him, “Come, I’ll show you.” Walking outside, he pointed to the top. There was an Angel with bluebirds flying around.

I stood there, why didn’t you come for me?

I wanted to back inside, I wanted to know why Colin left without me. “Dad, let’s go. I’ll bring you back again tomorrow.

That night I slept in my own bed, the one I shared with Colin. David said the other bed needed a new mattress.

Laying in bed, I heard the creaking of a rocking chair, “Grandmother, I thought you abandoned me.” Then I saw Colin holding Louise’s hand. “Colin, you left me behind. I had a job to do, take my hand. The next thing I knew I was next to him, hugging him,

My thanks for reading their story and commenting. Many of you have become friends. GG said to tell all of you, God Bless you, everyone.
Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
  • Love 26
  • Sad 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments




View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..