Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,152 Words
  • 1,525 Views
  • 17 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 78. Chapter 78

Arriving home, the boys were going to take a nap. I went to the kitchen to talk to Marcel. I wanted his input on James. We had less than two weeks before we would leave for Italy.

Mrs. Anderson arrived Sunday by taxi. I had plan on going and pick her up, but I was planning our trip and lost time.

“Mrs. Anderson, I apologize for not coming to pick you up. Be assured I’ll drive you home. After lunch, I’d like to show you our kitchen and the bunk beds I’d like to get for the orphanage.”

“Mr. Rowe, the taxi ride was convenient as I had to make a stop before arriving here. James had asked me to check out your kitchen, he’s quite enthusiastic about the possibility of working here. You are developing a cult in the orphanage.”

“It isn’t my intent to have them looking at me as a cult leader. I would be satisfied if they looked on me as an uncle.”

Colin joined us. He knew Mrs. Anderson. Over lunch we chatted about how best we could help her and the orphanage. She mentioned the lunch on Friday and that Armand is being referred to as Uncle. She discussed the high regard the children have of us. “I think you’ll be called uncle soon by them all. Now they refer to you as uncle but are a little shy to call you that to your face.”

“Mrs. Anderson, I would like for you to call us by my first name and I think Colin feels the same way.”

“I would like that. My name is Patricia . There are times when my involvement with the children can be quite emotional. You both have provide emotional breaks for me.”

“Colin, I want to show Pat the boy’s bunk bed. When we had the lunch this week, there was a young man named James who I hired to work in our kitchen. He has asked Pat to check it out. Marcel is our chef and you’ll need to meet him. James will work for him.” I had told Marcel I have hired him a student.

Lunch being over, Pat was ready to meet Marcel. Getting up from the table, Pat noticed the mural. “I didn’t notice that wall when I first came in. Who painted that?”

“My husband painted that. I’m quite proud of his painting.” Pat looked confused.

“I thought Armand was your husband.”

“He is and yes, he painted that.”

She went to look at the mural. Looking at Armand, “Do you paint for a living?”

“I paint for my pleasure, however there are people who want to buy them.” Colin started to laugh. “My husband is a recognized artist.”

“Let’s check out the kitchen.” Walking into the kitchen at any time, it is always exceptionally clean. I think Marcel wouldn’t put up with a dirty kitchen or any employee who would cause the kitchen to become dirty.

“Marcel, this is Mrs. Anderson from the orphanage. The young man who I have hired for you to teach is a resident of the orphanage. He has asked her to check out your kitchen.”

“It is nice to meet you Madam.” Marcel’s accent gives his nationality away.

“Marcel, I need a list of clothing James will need.”

“If he could come tomorrow, I’ll take him to the culinary school outlet where I can get him clothes and shoes.”

“What time do you want him to be here?”

“If he is here around 11, we can have lunch.”

Marcel taught French cooking at the Institute of Culinary Education in New York. He was tired of teaching, but he told us that French cooking wasn’t appreciated. The staff tried to

Anglicize French cooking. When Colin bought the building for his generation’s club he needed a chef. On a tip from his mother’s maid, he went to the culinary school where Marcel was working. Over a dinner at a French restaurant, he offered him the Chef’s job at the club. Marcel accepted and the rest is history.

I knew he had been offered positions at well known resorts and up scaled French restaurants. Colin treats him as a valued friend, Marcel knew if he wanted a new piece of equipment, Colin would get it for him, no questions asked.

Leaving the kitchen we headed upstairs to see the bunk beds. Walking into our apartment, the boys were sitting at the kitchen table eating a sandwich. As soon as they saw Mrs. Anderson, they stood.

“Continued eating boys. Mrs Anderson is here to look at your bunk beds.”

Walking to the boys’ room, “These are the bunk beds I’d like to install in your bedrooms.”

We watched as Pat looked over the beds. I showed her the drawers under the beds and the cabinet at the end of the beds.

“If you are in favor of installing these beds, I can have them come out to the orphanage, and with your help, they can draw a plan for each room.”

“What about the small children?”

“We could design bunk beds for them with rails on the top to prevent them from rolling off the bed. This rail is high enough for our boys, but for the small children we can put another rail.”

“This would provide more floor space.”

“Give it some thought. Colin, the boys and I will be flying to Europe in a few weeks. We will be back at the end of August in time for school. I’ll let the furniture people know what my intention is. I’ll give them your name and they may want to take a look at the rooms.”

 

We stopped and had a final cup of coffee. I drove Pat back to the orphanage.

Coming home, Colin and the boys were on the roof. I joined them. No sooner had I sat down than Richie was by my side.

“Do you think she’ll go for the beds?”

“I think she will. She has nothing to lose and everything to gain. We have a little over a week before we go to Italy. I was thinking of next week-end taking the boys and the kids at the orphanage to a ball game. I think the Hartford Yard Goats are playing this coming Saturday.”

I saw Colin’s mouthing Yard Goats, I began to laugh.

“Okay, I’ll see what I can do.”

Now the boys began making noises like a goat. Of course, that ended up with Colin and I tickling them.

They were still laughing as they got ready for bed. Lying in bed next to Colin, we would hear them. They would be quiet until one of them made a noise like the bleating of a goat. Then they all would laugh again. Laughing causes an effect, you don’t know why you are laughing, but you can’t stop laughing as well.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 26
  • Love 29
  • Haha 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

So, Collin and Armand are called uncles by the kids at the orphanage. They are liked and respected and now after a new meeting are fitting very well with Pat or Mrs. Anderson, the director of the orphanage.

It seems James will be accepted and be able to learn much from Marcel in the club's kitchen. I am sure James will blossom in his new role.

The baseball team's name got everyone to laugh. Goats -hmmm-Wait till the kids at the orphanage hear the name.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, mikedup said:

A  good calm chapter,easy lunch and she seemed impressed with the bunk beds, she will no doubt have accept them it will make her and her staff life a lot easier to manage , I think that the beds could be installed while they are over in Europe, is this the calm before the next calamity?

One never knows what is around the corner. For now, let's go to the ball game. BTW the Goats play in an AA league

  • Like 5
Link to comment
1 hour ago, chris191070 said:

A lovely feel good chapter. I love that Armand and Colin want to help all the kids in the orphanage.

if feasible, they would. But they can't, the best anyone could do is to give them attention, the guys are doing that.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, weinerdog said:

I'm guessing Harvard Yard Goats has something to do with the Yale/Harvard rivalry am I right ?

I'm glad somebody like Pat oversees the day to operation of the orphanage She, Armand and Colin make a good team>

They do. I'm sure Pat is appreciative of what the guys are doing. You could be right about the Yard Goats. I know they are in a league.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
3 hours ago, CLJobe said:

Poor Pat she will hear them bleating like a goat all night after the game. So far we have fishing/shopping trips for the girls, picnics, zoo visit, ball games, what's next? 

Swimming, the beach?

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

There’s been a huge upset in CT and RI over the past couple of years.  The Pawtucket Red Sox, the farm team, couldn’t come to an agreement with the city on updates on the facility, McCoy Field.  They wound up move to Hartford, CT as the Hartford Red Sox.  We hear very little about them now.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 8/31/2022 at 11:41 AM, Anton_Cloche said:

I think the next time Uncle's Armand and Colin visit the orphanage they may be greeted by bleating 'kids' and treat their 'uncles' as G.O.A.T. (Greatest Of All Time). 🐐🐐.

:thankyou:  Cal

Clever. I never heard of the Goats but it is a real team.  I'm not sure the orphanage would be allowed to have a real goat. I can imagine how that goat would enjoy his attention and treats from the kids. (that's isn't a pun."

 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 8/31/2022 at 12:45 PM, drsawzall said:

Another great chapter, let's see what wonders and adventures await them across the pond!!

I'm not sure if it is the thrill of being in another country or the plane ride.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
22 hours ago, dutch woman said:

Swimming, the beach?

That would be a great idea. just going to the beach would be great

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
21 hours ago, Clancy59 said:

There’s been a huge upset in CT and RI over the past couple of years.  The Pawtucket Red Sox, the farm team, couldn’t come to an agreement with the city on updates on the facility, McCoy Field.  They wound up move to Hartford, CT as the Hartford Red Sox.  We hear very little about them now.

Thanks. I think the Harvard Goats must fit in there somehow. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Armand and Colin are doing some great things for the kids.  As they become more and more involved, I know more kids with touch their hearts and be blessed with their generosity and love.  I do think that some of the activities they are doing just for boys or girls would be wonderful for both.  I mentioned before that my mom loved to fish and many outdoor activities like this are not gender specific.

I am excited for the family as they prepare for their trip to Europe.  As for Richard's home, it might be a great place for their family to live.  It doesn't mean that their club home is not needed, but they do need more space as the family grows.  Their apartment at the club could be very useful for the family.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..