Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,141 Words
  • 5,104 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 80. Chapter 80

Over breakfast, “I need to contact the people we used when we went to the zoo. I wonder if we will have the same drivers. The kids liked them.”

“I’m sure they will be available.”

“Do you think the team could greet the kids?”

Colin didn’t answer, he gave me a kiss and headed to work. I had some business to take care of this morning as well. I needed to see a certain judge and make arrangements for the buses.

When the boys finished breakfast, I took Tommy, Ronny and Richie to the gallery. I called the people who furnished the buses for the zoo trip. They asked which ball game, I told them the Hartford Goats. After the laughing got under control, they agreed to pick up the children at 5 pm. That was a little early as the game would start at 6:30 and the stadium was only 30 minutes away. I would have to provide some entertainment until the game started.

With transportation solved, I needed to stop at the orphanage and let Pat know about the game on Saturday. That was easy, the cooks were happy, they had the evening off. Pat was always appreciative of these trips. She made the comment the children would talk about them several weeks later. I reminded her about the bunk beds.

Leaving the orphanage, I took the boys back to the gallery. “Mom, I have a luncheon meeting with the judge who approved the adoption of the boys. I need a legal document that will allow James to stay with us. This working 5 days and then returning to the orphanage for two days is inappropriate.”

“Why don’t you adopt him?”

“He’s close to being an independent person. He will be 18 in less than 4 months. I want something that will allow him to look upon Colin and I as brothers. He will sever his relationships with the orphanage but he will still need guidance for a few years. James is a nice kid and I wouldn’t want him to get mixed up with the law.”

“Well, good luck.”

I left the gallery, stopped at home. “James, do you have your birth certificate with you?”

“Yes, it’s upstairs.”

“I have a meeting with a judge today. I want to see what I can do so you can stay here until you are 18.”

“You mean I won’t have to go back to the orphanage for those two days?”

“Yes, I want it to be legal.”

I sat in the kitchen, having a cup of coffee while James went to get his birth certificate.

“Marcel, we will be gone for two weeks. Will you keep an eye on James?”

“You going to just Italy?”

“Yes, do you need anything?”

“Yes, if you find these books, could you buy them for me?”

Looking at his list, I smiled. “I’ll do my best to find these books, if, I get to taste anything you cook from these books.”

We were laughing when James returned with his birth certificate. I noted his last name, Rowland.

I went and called home. There was a boy in my class whose name was Rowland. “Mom, I have a favor to ask. When I was in grade school there was a boy whose last name was Rowland. Do you know or remember any family that had that last name?”

“There was Rev. Rowland, but he’s dead now. I don’t know if he had any children. His wife died in child birth and I think the child also died. He was a lonely man, They said he died of a broken heart. I think he just gave up when he lost his wife and child.”

“Thanks Mom. When are you and Dad coming over? You have two new grandchildren you haven’t seen.”

“I’ll talk to your dad and let you know.”

We said goodbye. Now I had to hustle to meet the judge.

 

Arriving at the Court House, I was 15 minutes early. I had to wait 30 minutes before he could see me.

“Your honor, I appreciate you seeing me on short notice.”

Laughing, “You don’t have your lawyer with you, or your husband or a child in hand. so I guess this meeting doesn’t include an adoption.”

“Actually, it does include a young man from the orphanage.” I explained about James and the issue concerning his work schedule and being required to spend the time he isn’t working at the orphanage. “This requirement has a negative effect on his morale. I’m hoping that you will know of a way to eliminate this requirement of returning to the orphanage.”

“He has only a short time before he is 18?”

“Yes, but I think there is more. He stays with us the five days. Every time he leaves it is traumatic for him. I also think he will need guidance. Most of his life he has lived in the orphanage, a protective environment.”

“There is one way, make him a ward of the court until he is 21. I would prefer to have you and your husband declared his guardians until he reaches the age of 21.”

“I believe being his guardian would be preferable by him. We have grown close.”

“Come back tomorrow and I’ll have the papers naming you and Colin Roberts as his guardian.”

“It’s pass lunch time, how about a hot dog from across the street.” The smile said everything. I got him and his clerk a hot dog, the clerk came with me so I didn’t have to go back.

Arriving home, I called the clerk asking to remind the judge about having lunch on Sunday at the club. I also extended the invitation to the clerk.

I picked up a cup of coffee, headed to the gallery. I needed to relieve Mom of three young boys.

Walking into the gallery, I heard laughter coming from the office. “Who is making all of that noise?”

“Dad, where were you?”

“I had a few errands to run.”

“Dad, Grandmother bought us lunch.”

“She did, where’s mine?”

“Didn’t you eat?”

“Yes, I had a hot dog. But I will take a cup of coffee.” Sitting in an office chair, Richie came and stood by me. I sat my cup down on the desk, picked him up and sat him on my lap. Of my three boys, Richie is the most dependent.

When I was finish with my coffee, I sat Ronnie on my empty knee and Tommy sat on the edge of the chair between my legs. Mom took a picture. “This, you need to paint.”

And that remark by Mom reminded me I need to get back home and my painting.

Saying good bye, the boys gave Grandmother a hug and got a kiss on their cheek, we left for home.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 23
  • Love 31
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Welcome to the family James...and I agree, the painting of Armand and the 3 boys will be one of the best yet!!

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment

Another great chapter, especially for James.  I thought the judges' solution was perfect for the situation. Transitions are tough for all kids entering adulthood.  Having the support of Armand, Colin and their friends and family will provide a safe transition.  Considering how Armand feels about James as a brother, I'm sure that support would also include furthering James education beyond what he can get from Marcel.  Maybe training at a culinary institute and a degree in hospitality.  University at New Haven offers a BA in Hospitality and Management.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..