Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,068 Words
  • 1,751 Views
  • 22 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 56. Chapter 56

Now I needed to furnish the apartments and then I can announce they are available for rent. Walking back to the office, “Mom, it looks like they will be finished painting soon. I need to think about finishing an apartment to show to possible renters.”

“Have you given any consideration as to what the rent will be?”

“There were some students who inquired about renting. I need to check what the dorm fees are.”

“You are going to need to charge more than the dorm fees. You’ll have utilities to pay which you don’t have living in a dorm.”

“The bedroom is large enough for two twin beds, so maybe two students might want to share an apartment. Once I check the dorm fees, and the current utilities costs, I’ll come up with a rental fee. I’ll also get Colin to help.”

Mary agreed to furnish one apartment for show. That will be the last apartment I will rent.

Later that evening after the club had closed, sitting on the roof, I brought Colin up to date on the apartments.

“Armand, I’ll check the papers and might call a few Realtors to see what the current rentals are charging.”

“I have a portrait to paint this week. I thought I’d use the mural or the roof area for the background. What do you think?”

“Using the mural may stir an interest in seeing the mural and I’m not in favor of using our roof. This area is special to us and I don’t want to share it to the public. Can’t you add the background after you do the portrait?”

“Yes.”

“Maybe you can asked the person what background they want?”

“I can do that. They may just want a plain background. That would be the easiest.”

“Have you set a fee?”

“Yes. It’ll depend on the size, the larger the size the higher the fee. That one of Angela was a surprise and I’ll use that as my base fee.”

The following Monday, we went and got our tuxedos. I picked up information on cruises from France to New York.

I spent Tuesday and Wednesday evenings preparing my paints. I would use the third floor as my studio.

 

Monday I went to the gallery to view the prices on my paintings. Walking around with Mary, taking several blank cards, I repriced my paintings. If a painting of Angela sold for 50,000 then these paintings were under priced. I also notified Mrs. McNiel that I would tell her the minimum price for the paintings I sent her. I included a photo of the painting of Angela with the price and marked sold.

That night GG visited and said I was making progress but I still needed to paint from my soul. My problem, I never felt comfortable depending on my imagination. I told Colin what GG said. He wasn’t much help, he said use your imagination.

When I told the Professor about the need to move beyond reality but still stay true to my style, he replied, “Paint you dreams.”

I thought about that. Surely Michelangelo didn’t have the people in front of him when he painted the Sistine Chapel. I need to try and recall my dreams and see if I can remember enough to put them on canvases. My problem, I usually don’t remember my dreams.

Colin helped, as soon as I awoke in the morning he would ask what I dreamt. I couldn’t answer him all of the time but one night I had a dream and I remembered that I needed to tell Colin in the morning. When Colin asked in the morning, I remembered some of my dream but not all. Colin kissed me and in my ear, “Paint what you remember.”

I started to paint what I remembered in my dream. As I painted, I began to remember more of the dream. When I finished the painting, it was a painting of someone sitting on a bridge overlooking the ocean. Only it wasn’t the ocean where we lived. There was something in the ocean that had drawn my attention. I looked closely and it was a whale that had just blown a column of moist air into the air as it surfaced to breathe. I was confused, I have never seen a whale do that and I wondered why I dreamed that. When Colin saw it, he hugged me.

“I want that painting for my office.”

“Why? Haven't you seen whales before?”

“No, but this was your dream. It must mean something. Maybe GG will tell you.”

Three weeks before we were to leave for Europe, there was a seminar sponsored by the International Fund for Animal Welfare. Colin had made contact with them and showed them the painting. They wanted to buy the painting to use in their promotion material.

“Gentlemen, I’m sorry but the painting isn’t for sale. But you may use it if you include the artists name.”

At first they declined the offer. One of the members asked the committee to reconsider. “Look at our posters for the last ten years. We have had domesticated animals, gorillas, elephants, and other animals that we have highlighted as endangered species. The photos we used were the animals, but this painting tells a different story. This photo brings it home. Animals destined for extermination need to be connected to humans on a personal level. This painting does just that. If we don’t show a personal connection, we are doomed.”

The committee wasn’t in agreement but this member was an important member of this group. They were not about to offend him, Armand’s painting became the photo on their pamphlet.

Colin took a pamphlet home. “Armand, look.” There was his painting with Arrow clearly displayed on the photo.

“Is that why you wanted the painting?”

“No, I wanted it for my office. We were approached for advertising this meeting. As I listened to what they where thinking, your picture was discussed. Your painting will always be in my office.”

Colin sent the pamphlet to Armand’s mom, Mrs. McNiel and one for the gallery. Mary framed the pamphlet and posted it. She priced the pamphlet for 1000 dollars with the attached note that the proceeds would go to the International Fund for Animal Welfare.

Three days later Mary asked Colin for another signed pamphlet, she had sold the posted pamphlet.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 24
  • Love 28
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

4 hours ago, Kev said:

I know I just got a promotion, but afraid a grand is a little steep just for a brochure and I'll have to sit this one out and keep saving for our boy to paint my mum for me... I can hardly remember her, I wish I had that painting.

I feel for you Kev and all those who have lost a loved one and find over time it's harder and harder to remember a face, a laugh, the sound of their voice, a smell etc.

Back in the day, my parents kept photo albums of family, grandparents etc. to help 'remember'. In the last 20 years, I've found younger people (including siblings) don't appreciate let alone want those things. (And yet some of them are into 'Ancestry' apps to find out where they come from?).

Hold on to what you can, if you can.  

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Anton_Cloche said:

I feel for you Kev and all those who have lost a loved one and find over time it's harder and harder to remember a face, a laugh, the sound of their voice, a smell etc.

Back in the day, my parents kept photo albums of family, grandparents etc. to help 'remember'. In the last 20 years, I've found younger people (including siblings) don't appreciate let alone want those things. (And yet some of them are into 'Ancestry' apps to find out where they come from?).

Hold on to what you can, if you can.  

Thank you...

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Painting, an emotional endeavor applied to canvas. I'm sure that each painting that Armand does takes a significant emotional investment on his part from a gamut of emotions. Some artists have a very difficult time parting with their works because of that emotional tie and investment. I'm sure the painting from his dreams that Colin wanted for his office took that investment hence the shock, or perceived shock, when Armand found out it was on the pamphlet. One would think Colin would've consulted Armand before authorizing its' use. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
17 hours ago, Anton_Cloche said:

A wonderful chapter with all sorts of 'new doors', literally and figuratively opening up for Armand and Colin.

GG is revisiting Armand in this dreams with much needed advice and direction, and Colin helps Armand to interpret / understand those dreams.

One dream that remains unfulfilled? The dreams of a young boy, Tommy,  lingering in an orphanage. With each attempt he makes to reach out to Armand and Colin, he is still stuck in limbo. GG needs to remind both Armand and Thomas' other 'Grandma' Mary in a dream that Thomas is the future, and must be saved before something happens! 

Don't let Tommy fall through the cracks!

 

 

I would never do that

  • Like 5
Link to comment
6 hours ago, Kev said:

Thank you...

Memories live in the heart as well as the mind. God Bless

  • Like 5
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Christopher said:

Painting, an emotional endeavor applied to canvas. I'm sure that each painting that Armand does takes a significant emotional investment on his part from a gamut of emotions. Some artists have a very difficult time parting with their works because of that emotional tie and investment. I'm sure the painting from his dreams that Colin wanted for his office took that investment hence the shock, or perceived shock, when Armand found out it was on the pamphlet. One would think Colin would've consulted Armand before authorizing its' use. 

Normally I would agree with you. Armand has no idea of the value of his painting, he is always surprised when one is sold. I think Colin wanting to keep the painting for his office was received as a great compliment by Armand. 

In their relationship, Armand believes he is the lucky one and when Colin comments on anything he does, Armand treasures those comments. 

I agree that a true artist will always have an emotional attachment to his work. His paintings not only reflect his skill but also his emotions 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Things are going well for the guys.  I hope Mary will take care of Thomas while they are gone.  I think a picture of Thomas gazing at the picture of the couple would not only express Thomas' soul wish for parents, but touch Arrow's soul as an artist. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..