Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,470 Words
  • 905 Views
  • 20 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 201. Chapter 201

The sun had set, and we were still at the restaurant. Jean met up with us. I was interested in what he had found. “Later tonight. We have a guest at the museum. Let’s go and you have a job tonight.”

Saying good night to my friends, we headed back to the Louvre. I knew who my friends were, Christian, Roger, and Arnaud. We entered through the employee entrance, “Go quietly “

We more or less tipped toed to the third floor, looking down on the three of them. All I heard, was magnificent, repeated several times. Christian stood behind his dad with his hands on his shoulder, Arnaud was kneeling at the kneeler. Roger was beside Christian. He kept looking up at where we stood. We kept in the shadow, and when I saw Roger looking up, I waved. He didn’t see me but the wave was enough.

“Roger, where are the creators of this masterpiece?”

“They are around. They are probably getting their equipment to put another coat on the painting.”

Hearing that, we went to Jean’s office and got out supplies.

Walking downstairs toward the painting, we were laughing at this morning. Arnaud stood up and turned to us. Tears in his eyes, “Why are you crying?”

He didn’t answer, but as I got nearer, he grabbed me in a hug and just held on. I gave what supplies I had to Roger and hugged him back. I think I was holding him up from falling.

Whispering, “Arnaud, it is the best we could do. My son helped me.”

He looked at me and I knew why. I pointed to the painting, Carl had started to apply the lacquer to the top of the painting. We watched for a while, “Arnaud, I need to go and help him. Wait here until I am done and then we can talk.”

He went back toward the kneeler but before he could kneel. Jean had a chair for him to sit in. If Carl and I did nothing more, we made an old friend happy.

With the two of us, it didn’t take long to apply the fourth coat. Two more and it will be ready for shipment to the mausoleum.

We rode home with Christian and invited them in but Arnaud wanted his bed. So he said.

That evening as Chef Boy cooked our dinner with his helper, we sat in the living room, reviewing Arnaud’s comments.

“I expected him to fall when he first saw the painting.”

“He would have if Christian wasn’t there. He told him to kneel at the kneeler to take the weight off his legs.”

“He lost a lot of weight. It felt like a young boy when he was in my arms. I’m glad he saw the painting. I would have hated to have it hung without him seeing it. We still have the issue of lighting.”

“I’ll speak to Christian tomorrow. For a short time, we might use batteries to power some light.”

I kept thinking there has to be electricity somewhere close to the Mausoleum. This was a city park and they would need lanterns to show the way in the evening and at night.

Tomorrow the boys and I are going to check out the park.

Early in the morning after Chef Boy made breakfast, Christian came for Roger. “Christian, could you give us a ride to the mausoleum? I need to make some measurements.”

“I’ll take you there after I drop Roger off at home.”

“Jean, what are you going to do?”

“I’m going to see if I can get a passport.”

“Are”t you going to need a photo?”

“I have one.”

Dropping Roger off at Arnaud’s, we decided to go in and say hello.

Walking into his bedroom, he was sitting up, chatting with the nurse, and seemed to be enjoying himself. He was telling the nurse about Saint Michael.

Roger was the first one in, and then it was the story of Saint Michael. The first question is, “When is he going thang it?”

“Ask him yourself.”

Carl, Chef Boy, and I entered the room. He had to introduce us as the artists who created his Michael.

“Well?”

“I have asked Christian to drive us to the Mausoleum. I need to take some measurements, then if all goes well, Saint Michael will be looking at you from on high..”

I began to wonder if he was ill and dying. He reacted as if someone had given him a tonic. There were no questions, he was as excited as I've ever seen him. More excited than the paintings I made of Christian and his family. We stay long enough to have a small glass of wine.

Leaving, “Arnaud, the next glass we will share with Michael.”

He was smiling, chatting with the nurse and Roger. “I will drink no more wine until I do with Michael.”

 

Christian drove us to the mausoleum. “Christian, I’ll need a ladder. You don’t have one here do you?”

“No, I’ll go back to town and get one for you.”

While Christian was gone, I told the boys how I was going to mount Michael. “I want you to check the park for any electrical outlets. Some parks have lamps for people to see in the evening. See if there are any along the paths. Carl put your brushes and paint here. You’ll have time over the next few days to do your project.” That got me a hug.

While I waited for Christian to return, I began to check out the stone. It was old and I wanted to make sure that the frame holding Michael wouldn’t fall due to the crumbling stone. As I was poking the stone with a stick I found, “Here, use this.”

“Jean, when did you get here.”

“Just now. I met Christian in town, he told me he was looking for a ladder, I took one from the museum and came with him.”

“Let me tell you my concern. With that stick, I was able to remove some of the soft face stones. I need to know how far I must drill into the stone to hit the solid stone. Otherwise, the painting could fall.”

“How are you going to hang it?”

“I’m going to build a frame that will. Be attacked to the stone. The painting will be attached to the frame.”

“You can make the frame at the Louvre.”

Christian and Jean held the ladder while I climbed to test the rock. The boys came back, they said there were no lamps in the area covered by the park.

“Dad, can I start my project.”

“Yes, ask Uncle Christian to let you in.”

After they left to open the door and entered the mausoleum, Jean wanted to know what was the boy’s project. I told him, then he wanted to see.

“They just started, we’ll check it out before we leave. Now hold the ladder steady.”

As I suspected, I would need to drill at least 5 inches into the stone to anchor the frame. Now I needed a drill.

I came down from the ladder and told Jean what I found and how far I would have to drill to mount the frame support for the painting.

“So it won’t be today or tomorrow.”

“No, if I can get the frame up, it can be mounted in a few hours.”

“What are you going to do about the light?”

“I don’t know. We need to think about it.”

“Here comes Christian/‘

“What’s so funny.”

“He painted an angel with a blue bird on one of the crypts.”

“I think he intends to paint something on your dad’s crypt.”

“No one cares about the crypt at the end of the line, but Dad’s. Old Uncle Henri, will be up in arms.”

“Tell him he can have one for 10,000 euros.”

“He will think Dad paid that.”

“When will he see the crypt.”

“Probably when Dad is laid to rest.”

“Let him think what he wants, He can’t harm your dad, Saint Michael will protect him.”

We headed back to Arnaud’s.

Walking into the home, “Armand, what are you going to tell Dad?”

“The truth.”

Walking into Arnaud’s bedroom, I could see the excitement in his eyes. “Is it mounted?”

“No, the stone needs some reinforcement. If I mounted ut now in a few months it would fall. I am going to the Louvre workshop and make a frame to mount their painting on. If all goes well, Saint Michael will be guarding those that sleep there. I’ll stop by each evening and bring you u[p to date.”

I knew he was disappointed but Christian can explain the problem. Now I needed to go home. I have some work to do.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 18
  • Love 24
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Arnaud has finally seen the guardian Michael painting, who will look over him after he departs the living world, I think he is very happy about the painting, now "chef boy" is going to be well taken care of as soon as his passport is ready, another awesome and emotional chapter 

  • Love 5
Link to comment

Arnaud is impatient for the painting to be hung.  I believe that he wants to see that before he dies and is worried he will die before he sees the work completed.  I wonder what they will use for the lighting.  A painting is meant to be seen.

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
22 hours ago, akascrubber said:

The painting of Saint Michael is comforting and enriching many lives. Arnaud wants Saint Michael to protect him and his final resting place.

Armand, Carl, and Chef Boy are generously helping others. I am glad efforts are underway for Chef Boy to get a passport. 

 

Chef Boy has no idea what is ahead for him. Mounting the painting will require some deep thinking.

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
22 hours ago, JohnnyC said:

Very Beautiful Chapter Indeed , Glad that Arnauld Saw Saint Michael’s Portrait and Carl painted an Angel w/Bluebird on The Young Prince’s Crypt in The Royal Mausoleum 🕊

I wonder what Henri is going to say. I can hear him now, ranting that he also wants his resting place painted with an angel. He better be careful. He may have the fallen angel painted on his crypt.

  • Like 1
  • Wow 4
Link to comment
22 hours ago, weinerdog said:

I'm glad Arnaud was happy with what he saw.I'm curious how they are going to solve the lighting problem.

Armand keeps calling Charles Chef boy. I wonder when they get back home if James will call him that

I'm not sure if James is up to taking on another student. Language won't be a problem, the kitchen staff are fluent in French.

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
18 hours ago, mikedup said:

Arnaud has finally seen the guardian Michael painting, who will look over him after he departs the living world, I think he is very happy about the painting, now "chef boy" is going to be well taken care of as soon as his passport is ready, another awesome and emotional chapter 

Arnaud is very happy but he is at the end-times. Just knowing that he will sleep under the painting is enough for him to look forward and not regret his life here in this realm/

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
13 hours ago, Anton_Cloche said:

Thank you for another wonderful chapter Cal / @CLJobe. I echo the sentiments and comments of those before me.

I previously suggested a solar lighting solution, keeping in mind that local 'Arrondissement municipaux' or municipal governments oversee regulations for cemeteries and mausoleums within each district, with exceptions for 'mausolées historiques' mausoleums of historic significance.  I suspect Arnaud's falls into that category as it was previously stated that it dates back to Louis VIX and Arnaud and Christian have that covered.* 

     images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTu82MKqhoH7ZP-Pwin8uXY1d_Seq2BUYbjmQ&usqp=CAU

*FYI The historic resting place of French Kings is at the Cemetery of the Basilica Cathedral of Saint Denis (Basilique royale de Saint-Denis, now called Basilique-cathédrale de Saint-Denis) in the northern part of Paris. 

You are a fountain of knowledge and I appreciate your comments and educating me on France and its history. Let's form a group and go to France for a few weeks. As you know of my health conditions we may have to do that in the next life. We can have Arnaud help us.

Hope you aren't washed away by the flooding.

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
10 hours ago, raven1 said:

Arnaud is impatient for the painting to be hung.  I believe that he wants to see that before he dies and is worried he will die before he sees the work completed.  I wonder what they will use for the lighting.  A painting is meant to be seen.

You are right but it may take time before lighting can be established. Armand and Carl have been away from family for a while now. Maybe it's time to go home and return later.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

I don't always read the chapter after i post. i noticed several errors in this chapter that i should have caught. i apologize for them.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
3 hours ago, CLJobe said:

Let's form a group and go to France for a few weeks. As you know of my health conditions we may have to do that in the next life. We can have Arnaud help us.

Hope you aren't washed away by the flooding.

With Arnaud's largesse or a whole lotto luck that trip could be sooner, (but someone once said "if it wasn't for bad luck you wouldn't have any". Like to prove that wrong 😉)

If "in the next life", maybe a little 🐦, the occupant of a squeaky rocking chair and a 'chatelaine'* will provide guidance. :whistle:

 

* For those unfamiliar with the word, a 'chatelaine' in French culture is usually a well-educated (not just from school) woman of a certain age, adept at having a well kept house and is welcoming to all.  In earlier centuries she would be 'Mistress of the château', (often wife of the owner) who supervised its daily functions, kept the keys and was in charge of hospitality to guests. 'Grandmere' Madame Lavigne is a perfect example.

My Tante Gisele was a perfect example, educated, bon vivant, raconteur and an expert at french cuisine, who could easily 'dispatch' a hen and then make it into 'poulet cordon bleu' for dinner guests, with the remains made into chicken soup. 

A 'real life' version of the caricature Julia Child or Martha Stewart strived to portray. 

chicken soup GIF

Edited by Anton_Cloche
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
16 minutes ago, Anton_Cloche said:

With Arnaud's largesse or a whole lotto luck that trip could be sooner, (but someone once said "if it wasn't for bad luck you wouldn't have any". Like to prove that wrong 😉)

If "in the next life", maybe a little 🐦, the occupant of a squeaky rocking chair and a 'chatelaine'* will provide guidance. :whistle:

 

* For those unfamiliar with the word, a 'chatelaine' in French culture is usually a well-educated (not just from school) woman of a certain age, adept at having a well kept house and is welcoming to all.  In earlier centuries she would be 'Mistress of the château', (often wife of the owner) who supervised its daily functions, kept the keys and was in charge of hospitality to guests. 'Grandmere' Madame Lavigne is a perfect example.

My Tante Gisele was a perfect example, educated, bon vivant, raconteur and an expert at french cuisine, who could easily 'dispatch' a hen and then make it into 'poulet cordon bleu' for dinner guests. A 'real life' version of the caricature Julia Child or Martha Stewart strived to portray. 

chicken soup GIF

My Beloved Grandmother Annafred did the Same with Rabbits , Snap the Neck and Peel the Pajamas off . A Cassoulet would be served under an Hour with Wine & Fresh Baked Bread 🥘🥖🍷

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..