Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,487 Words
  • 1,398 Views
  • 15 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 89. Chapter 89

Colin was having coffee with his mom, “You want a cup of coffee?”

“Yes, please.”

“What’s happening?”

“A continuation of the discussion realism versus cubism. Mom, pour two more cups.”

She looked confused until she saw two men enter the office. I introduced Mom to Andre and Jean. As mom handed them their coffee, “Andre, when we were at your home, I didn’t see any cubism. I would have thought you would have had at least one.”

“My interests lies in native art. On occasion, I’ll see a piece that appeals to me and I’ll obtain it. But I’m not a devotee of cubism. If I find a piece by a recognized cubist, I buy it and give it to Jean for his collection.”

Looking at Jean, “If I remember, I did see a few pieces.”

“Listen”

Wr heard the door open and then the office was rushed by three boys, “Grandmother, we’re thirsty.” They stopped when they saw the two men who they didn’t know standing there. How long do you it would take for them to be beside Colin and I.

“Boys, I want you to meet two friends of Pop's and mine from France.” I introduced them to the boys, Tommy said hello, shook their hands, Ronnie did likewise. Richie said, “Bonjour, Monsieur’s.” I looked at Colin and he looked at me.

Later that evening at our apartment while having dinner. “Richie, where did you learn French?”

There were tears in his eyes, I picked him up and put him on my lap. I spoke to him in French. “It’s okay. Now you will have to teach Pop and your brothers. Who taught you?”

“My mother and Marie.”

“Who was Marie?”

“She was my mother’s friend.”

“Richie, I’m glad your mother did that. She gave you a wonderful gift.”

“Dad, I miss her. Why did God take my family?”

“I don’t know. God moves in mysterious ways. He must have needed them. I know he gave you to Pop and I because we need you.” I wrapped my arms around him, pulling into me as I first did when he came to the orphanage. The boys gather around me, touching Ritchie.

“Dad, let’s go to the roof.” That is where Colin found us.

 

In the morning all three boys were in our bed. Richie was in the middle, Ronnie was on Colin’s side and Tommy was on my side.

Colin got up whispering, “We have guests this morning.”

“Get dressed, I’ll get up after your shower. Leave the boys sleep.”

Dressed, Colin and I headed to the club kitchen. “Marcel, we have invited our French friends for breakfast this morning. Would it be possible for you to join us?”

“With breakfast?”

“Yes, Colin will help you bringing the food and coffee to our apartment. The boys are still sleeping and I need to be there when they wake.”

“You can get James to help.” I smiled at Colin when he offered James to help.

I went back upstairs and checked on the boys. They were still sleeping. I watched them, thanks GG. I felt her love and it brought back memories of when I was the same age as the boys. I felt the same peace today as I felt then.

I was making coffee when I heard Colin talking to someone. Opening the door, there was James with a tray followed by Colin with a coffee urn.

“Boy’s still sleeping?”

“Yes, keep your voices down so you don’t wake them.”

“I think they are awake.” Turning around, three boys, rubbing the sleep from their eyes were on their way to the kitchen. I was sitting, drinking my coffee, as the boys entered the kitchen, they headed to me. I picked up one, sat him on my right leg, picked up another and sat him on my left leg, the third shared my chair, sitting between the other two.

“Dad, what are you drinking?”

“Coffee”

“That is a small cup.”

“Yes, this coffee is very strong.” Richie took the cup and smelled it, of course the other boys followed.

“It smells like coffee.”

“It is coffee. Want a taste?”

They looked at Richie, “No, Dad. You can have it.”

“You need to get dressed, we are having company for breakfast.”

While they were showering and dressing, Colin left and returned with a wooden bench.

“Where did that come from?”

“The basement. One of the workmen must have left it when I was having the building refurbished.”

He sat the bench on one side of the table, “The boys can sit here. It’ll give us more room to sit our guests.”

Colin went to his office to wait for our guests.

“Dad, where did this bench come from?”

“Pop had it in the basement. He thought we could use it this morning.”

I believe all kids when they wake up like to cuddle a little, ours do. I had an arm around Richie and Ronnie as they sat on either side of me and Tommy was sitting between my legs. I had to move back on the stool in order to give him a ledge to sit on.

I asked James to make a coffee for them, it was 80 percent milk, coffee and a little sugar. I didn’t always let them drink coffee, usually it is milk or hot cocoa.

James no sooner set their drinks in front of them when we heard Colin coming up the stairs with our guests. I expected two but there were three, the professor drove them over. He’s going to take them to the airport when they have finished breakfast.

Marcel, poured them their coffee and James removed the breakfast rolls from the oven. The boys looked at the rolls, then looked at me, rubbing their stomachs. They have had these rolls before.

James passed the rolls in front of our guests, they each took two. Marcel took two and placed them on James’s plate and took the last two for his plate. The boys looked at me, as if to say where are ours. Needless to fear, James removed the second pan from the oven. He placed two on Colin’s plate and two on mine. Then the devil struck. He placed one on the boys plate, returned the pan to the oven and sat down.

The boys shot daggers with their eyes at James. James, took a sip of his coffee, a bite from his roll, then looked at the boys as if to say, ‘what’. Richie took his roll, cut it in half and placed half on Ronnie’s plate and half on Tommy’s plate and then looking at James, without a smile, he gave him a look that conveyed the message, ‘better not say anything’.

James got up, removed the pan from the oven and sat it in front of Richie. “Thank you, UNCLE James.”

Tommy put two rolls on Richie’s plate, another roll on Donnie’s plate and one on his plate.

Our guests laughed.

Andre told Richie that when he was in France next year, he would take him to where his mother lived before she married his father. I felt hRichie's shiver. Rene mentioned he found a new artist in a remote village of northern Italy whom he thought I would appreciate. He said he was looking for a new art form and would like my opinion when I was in France.

“Do you have your luggage with you or do you have to return to the hotel?”

“We have our luggage and we have checked out.”

“Good, then let’s take our coffee to the roof.” Marcel and James went back to the kitchen. They had prep work to do before the club opened today.

 

Walking to the roof, I hadn’t realized that the professor hadn’t seen the mural of the church on the wall. “Spanish Steps?”

“Yes, a couple of your students helped to paint this.” Then I led them to the roof.

My French friends started to laugh. “Barcelona”

I nodded, “Colin fell in love with the works of Gaudi, so when we returned I created a little of Barcelona here.”

Looking at Colin, he had a big smile on his face. We stood there drinking our coffee, the boys sat while they finished their coffee with milk.

We got into a discussion of Gaudi’s works and time slipped by. “Armand, Colin, thank you for breakfast and a delightful morning. We must leave or we’ll miss our flight home.”Walking back to the first floor, James and Marcel came to say goodbye, took their cups to the kitchen. The boys said goodbye, in French. I looked at Richie, he was smiling. We walked them to the front door, Professor went to get his car. Arriving in front, we said goodbye promising to see them next year when we were in France. We watched as they drove away.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 23
  • Love 33
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 9/14/2022 at 11:43 AM, mikedup said:

Well who expected Richie to know french , a welcome surprise no doubt, and he then spent time teaching his brothers, a very good chapter 

Yes they were completely surprised.Now the family will know three foreign languages

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
On 9/14/2022 at 11:59 AM, Clancy59 said:

She may not have been in a position financially, or stable in her life, to take him.  There could be many reasons.  Maybe she was in France.  It could simply be that CPS was unaware of their connection to contact her!  It was an emergency situation, after all.  But they kind of dropped the ball before Armand and Colin got guardianship and adopted him.  

He certainly surprised Armand with his quiet “Bonjour, Messieurs!”  Especially when he was fluent enough to converse in the language!  Was his mother from France, also?

Yes, his mother was from France and Marie was her best friend, She married Richards father in France, dad was American doctor, When they moved to the States, Marie came with them.

  • Like 4
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
22 hours ago, weinerdog said:

Armand  words to Richie about God giving Richie to Armand and Colin because they needed him was perfect

A child need assurances, they gave it to him. Now he knows he is loved and more importantly they need him. a great feeling for a child.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
21 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Richie is lucky to have Armand and Colin as his parents, he's a special boy.

Yes and is lucky to find a family that truly loves him.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

When I wrote this chapter I pretended I was Richie. how I would feel, what assurances I needed to know I was wanted.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Thank god the snooty are critics left and the friends from France got to meet the whole family, Richie is one lucky boy along with his new brothers!

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Richie got a big surprise from Andre. The invitation to take Richie to see his mother's village in France will be a great experience for Richie next year.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..