Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 946 Words
  • 1,262 Views
  • 15 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 148. Chapter 148

A short chapter but this will be a short visit in Europe

Christen showed us to Arnaud’s sitting room. There we found Jean and Roger discussing painting styles and if it was possible for someone who was an excellent artist in one style to be an excellent artist in an another style. As we walked into the room, “In my experience students of cubism are not as proficient at painting as the Masters. They don’t see the fine distinction in the Masters. Think about a painting featuring cubism, the lines are objects with no strict definition.”

“Ahh, here is Armand. Let’s ask him?”

“We are discussing various painting styles. You have chosen the style which we call the Masters, Da Vinci, Michelangelo, Caravaggio. What made you choose that style?”

“It was easy. I tried a few drawings in the cubist style. When I showed my mom and art teacher in school, they wanted to know what I was my intention. My purpose in such abstract painting. That was when I decided to follow the Masters. I feel comfortable painting as I am doing. I can show emotions, realty and as a cubist, I couldn’t do that.”

“There are artist who have been acclaimed as genius as cubists.”

“That is okay, if someone prefers cubist style painting, they are welcome to support those artists.”

“Arnaud, you picked Armand to paint Christen, what would his painting be if a cubist painted it?”

I watched Arnaud thinking about Christen’s painting.

He was saved when the discussion ended with the arrival of Christen and his bride. “Armand, I have a request.” I knew what he wanted, a painting of his bride.

“Do you have photos?”

“Just the ones that were taken at the wedding.”

“May I see them.” He handed me a packet of photos . I’ll take these with me, and when the painting is finished, you can fly over and I’ll give you these photos back. Will that be okay?”

“Yes, I don’t want to be like my father, so what will be your fee?”

“I will do it for free if you name your first child after me and make a contribution to Uncle’s Home.”

“What is Uncle’s Home?”

“Roger can explain the Home to you.”

Before anything more could be said, we were interrupted, “Dinner is ready, Sir.”

The younger boys sat beside an older boy, Louise sat on my lap. Dinner was exceptional as I knew it would be. Arnaud chefs were all three star.

After dinner, we adjourned to the Hall, Arnaud wanted to show me my painting of Christen. Needless to say, he had it where the light from the outside showed on the painting. It really did look like it was blessed as the sunlight seemed to shine on his face.

“Armand, I want my wife’s painting to hang here, next to mine.”

“Christen, my fee is 100,000 euros, or you name your first child after me.”

“Thanks, I know what Dad went through with my portrait and I was hoping you would quote a fee. I cannot name any of my children after you. Dad can explain.

“Arnaud, which one of your family complained about Christen’s painting?”

Walking toward the end of the row of portraits, “This is my cousin. His father is my father’s youngest brother. He always feels he has been cheated out of any inheritance.”

I notice the boys looking at the paintings along the walls. “Dad, you said Uncle Arnaud had a gallery.”

“Yes, Arnaud, the boys would like to see your gallery. If you have added any new paintings, I’d be interested to see them as well.”

We followed Arnaud as he led us to his gallery. I remember the first time I was here and saw a painting by GG. I wonder if he still had it.’

As we walked along the gallery, I noticed a few pieces of cubism. “Arnaud, I didn’t think you were a follower of cubism. I see you have these two pieces. Who is the artist?”

“Do you remember me telling you I found an artist in northern Italy? I bought these two pieces . I liked the harmony of colors.”

I had to agree, the harmony of colors was attractive although I wasn’t sure of the objects of the painting.

“Dad, there are two of yours here and one of Grandma’s.”

I knew there was one of my earlier pieces here next to GG’s. I followed the boys, “Yes, that is one of the earlier paintings of mine but how do you know this painting is grandmothers?”

It was Tommy who pointed out the blue bird. I wondered how much GG has told them and how often she has visited them. It was obvious they knew abut her signature, the blue bird.

It was Louise that told us it was getting late. She became sleepy and tried to sleep with her head on my shoulder. “Arnaud, I think the young children are getting sleepy. We should be going. Christen, I’ll let you know when your painting. Is ready. We have an early flight tomorrow to Spain and then to Italy before flying home. Ronnie has football camp and we need to be home a few days before Ronny needs to show up at camp.

Arnaud called two taxi’s, one for the older boys and Colin, one for the younger boys and Louise and I,

Arriving back at the hotel, the boys split up and headed to their rooms. Colin, Louise and I headed to our room.

I checked us out in the morning. We went to the crepe restaurant for breakfast and then we headed to the airport. We were flying into Madrid where we will meet Carlos.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 24
  • Love 20
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

A very quick visit to Arnaud's home, but it gave Armand and Colin's children a chance to see GG's painting.  It also let Armand establish a set price for the portrait of Cristian's wife that was commissioned by Cristian.  

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 1/18/2023 at 5:51 AM, mikedup said:

Great chapter, so his price is set , I am glad that there will be no trade on it , the boys are obviously very informed by GG,  the new boys will be joining her as well no doubt, no onwards to the next part of the holiday 

On to Barcelona. It's a lot of traveling for just a few days. But when you have friends all over, and if they found out you were in Europe and didn't stop they would be hurt.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 1/18/2023 at 8:13 AM, scrubber6620 said:

They had a happy, convivial time at Arnaud's eating a great meal, discussing art and seeing his painting collection. Armand has two paintings featured and GG has one. The boys recognized her work by her signature blue bird. Armand agreed to paint Christen's new wife for a set fee of 100, 000 euros. It was a gracious and kind, offer since his father thought he should at first pay much more for the painting of his son. Amand likes the family. The painting will hang next to the one Armand painted of Christen.

I can imagine the stink the one who didn't like Christen's painting will make when Christen's wife's painting is hung there.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 1/18/2023 at 9:52 AM, pickuptoy said:

I wish he would have offered an exchange for either the painting of Christen, or then of his bride for the painting by GG. Having it back home so all the family could enjoy it would have been great. Maybe something work out in the future.

Keep upt the great work CL!!

 

Thanks, but you are aware a smooth ocean doesn't always mean a smooth sail.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 1/18/2023 at 1:48 PM, weinerdog said:

What @pickuptoysaid brought up a question for me does Armand have any of GG paintings if not maybe GG could tell Armand where she has one hidden or something When Christen said “Yes, I don’t want to be like my father, so what will be your fee?” Arnaud was there that could have been taken the wrong way. It was 100% Armand to ask for a contribution to Uncle's House

 

Armand has no painting s by GG, as of now. Most of GG's paintings are hung in the Tate Museum in London.  Yes that would have been Armand. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
6 hours ago, raven1 said:

A very quick visit to Arnaud's home, but it gave Armand and Colin's children a chance to see GG's painting.  It also let Armand establish a set price for the portrait of Cristian's wife that was commissioned by Cristian.  

I wonder what Armand is going to do with that fee. He obviously doesn't need the money, according to Colin's father

  • Like 5
Link to comment
5 hours ago, CLJobe said:

I wonder what Armand is going to do with that fee. He obviously doesn't need the money, according to Colin's father

I thought the 100,000 euro fee was to be donated to the Orphanage at Armand’s request? 

  • Like 2
  • Wow 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..