Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,914 Words
  • 952 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 195. Chapter 195

The boys were tired as we pulled into the dock, I made sure the captain and first mate had their share of the catch. The men helped to carry the coolers off of the boat. The shrimp and lobsters were put in my car along with two of the large cod. I headed to the club. The others headed to the Home. Charles made a pit stop at his place to drop off his cooler.

Walking into the kitchen, "Brother come and make your selection for tomorrow's dinner." He opened the lobster cooler, Took out all five, “Leave them in the cooler, you can pick it up tomorrow.” Billy took it to the basement. The next cooler was shrimp. He counted out 20, the rest went to the basement. I must have looked puzzled, “These are for our dinner tonight.”

I smiled, the next cooler had the cod in them. He looked, “Billy, take this to the basement.” That was after he took one out for their dinner tonight.

I gave him a hug and left. We had to get to the Home for dinner.

Arriving, there was Ivan’s truck. Since the kitchen had everything, we entered through the Angel’s door. I stopped to say hi to Lois. “They are all down in the game room. Charles has two new movies for them to watch.”

Until our Italian guests left, we fished on Saturday, had dinner at the Home, and Sunday dinner at the club.

Colin had t-shirts made for our Italian cousins. I knew he had one for every boy and girl home and at the Home. It was a picture of the boat with the captain and first mate. There were the boys in their seats with their rods in the water. He had each boy with his name printed on the back of the chair. Each shirt had the same picture but the boy's names were different.

It was sad to see the Italian contingent go but we would see them next summer in Italy and here when they return in October.

When everything falls in place and the sun seems to be shining on you, something happens that causes you to re-evaluate your life and those you love. Grandmere was in the hospital and it didn’t look good. There were no discussions, I was going to Paris. Colin wanted to come with me, “You have to stay here with the boys. You need to comfort the boys, she was a grandmother to them even though she wasn’t related to them. They need one of us, if you want to go I’ll stay here. You can take Ritchie with you.”

“No, you go and I’ll stay here with the boys and girls.”

“If Jean is correct, I won’t be gone long.”

I flew over the next day. Arriving in Paris, Jean was there to meet me. “I’m glad you came. She’ll be glad to see you.”

We hailed a taxi and went straight to the hospital. Before entering her room, I looked at her through the window on her door. She looked tired. I walked in, and sat beside her bed, holding her hand. “Grandmere, the boys send you their love and pray you will be well. They are looking forward to seeing you next year.”

“I will be with the boys. But now I have family calling me. One thing, the house is in your name. Last year I put it in your name when I came home. You need someplace to stay when you visit Paris.”

I heard the creaking of a rocker. “Grandmother, can’t she stay a little longer.”

I knew the answer, I may not like it, but I can’t argue with He who makes the decision of how much time we have here.

I felt Jean’s hand on my shoulder. I leaned over and kissed her cheek,

As we walked out I turned for one last look, I saw the nurse pull the sheet up to cover her face. In my mind, GG couldn’t I have had a few more minutes?

“Armand, I have the papers putting the home in your name. She has no relatives so you need to think about where she will be entered. I’ll handle all of the legal issues.”

“Let’s go to her home.”

I stopped at the patisserie and bought a bottle of her favorite wine. I just might get drunk tonight.

Sitting in her living room with a glass of her wine I remembered the first time I was here. “Several years ago I came to Paris. It was between my freshman and sophomore year. I didn’t know where I was going to stay. I was a student, money was a problem. I met a man on the plane, we started to talk. He asked which hotel I was staying at, I told him I can’t afford a hotel. He gave me the name of this woman who runs a boarding house. I came here and stayed for three months. During that time, we became friends and I learned French. In the evening, I drew. She would comment and keep most of them. If you want to look at them, they are in the drawer of that stand.”

I watched as Jean went and got them from the drawer. One of them was of her when I was first here, years ago.

As Jean leafed through them, I remember her, and those memories brought tears to my eyes. I knew she was in her late 70s, but why did she have to leave? Many people live well into their 80’s and 90’s. I needed answers and no one could give me one. I was tired of trivia, your time comes, she was ill, and this was best for her, she lived a good life, no one had an answer that satisfied me. She was gone and I and my family will miss her.

“Jean, I’m turning in. Tomorrow we’ll need to arrange for an interment and possibly some kind of religious ceremony. I think she attended that small chapel at the end of the avenue.”

Sleep didn’t come easy that night. The creaking of a rocking chair didn’t help. “GG, is she with you?”

“Go to sleep, my son.”

Hearing that I fell into a deep sleep and I had a visitor. When I woke in the morning, I felt a strange peace. I now knew Grandmere was with GG was happy and best of all she was pain-free. I didn’t know that she was suffering and that death was her release from the pain. It helped knowing that but I still missed her and will continue to miss her. I know the children will miss her, including those at the Home.

 

Walking to the kitchen, I made a pot of coffee. Jean was still asleep. I went to the patisserie and bought a loaf of bread and cheese. That would be breakfast. Returning to the house, I could smell the coffee. This morning with the coffee, cheese, and bread brought back early memories.

“Good morning. Do you feel a little better this morning?”

“Good morning, Jean. Yes, I feel a little better. Join me for a little breakfast. When I stayed here, this was our breakfast. I think I have eaten every type of cheese that Patisserie had. She would tell me about the cheese, how it was made, and the difference between cheese made from cow’s milk and sheep's milk. Over the time I have known her, she taught me about French cuisine. Once a week, we would go to a small cafe and have something to eat and sample their wine. After the third glass, I couldn’t tell one wine from another, she would laugh and help me back to her home. Then helping me upstairs, tuck me in bed.”

“You have good memories and I think they will keep her alive for you. Now let’s finish eating, we have a lot of work to do today.”

We went to the chapel and spoke to the priest. “Madame Lavigne has been coming to this chapel for many years. Several tears ago she commissioned a mausoleum to be built. It was her wish that when the time came for her to join her relatives in Heaven that her earthly body be placed in her mausoleum. If you follow me I’ll show you what she commissioned.”

We followed him to a graveyard behind the Chapel. It wasn’t large but there was only one mausoleum. I assumed that was the one Grandmere commissioned. Following the priest, he led us to that mausoleum and there was a plaque with Grandmere’s name.

“Father, will you arrange for her burial services?”

“Yes, I will contact the hospital and make all of the burial arrangements.”

“Jean, I need some paint and brushes.”

Over the next few days, the priest made the arrangements and I had an Angel to create above the door of a certain mausoleum.

Jean helped as much as he could. I learned you did not need to be a painter to be a critic of the arts.

By the time, Grandmere was ready and the priest had performed the interment ritual, the angel was finished. Jean smiled, “A fitting place for a great lady. May the Angel watch over her.”

I heard ‘Amen’, turning there was the priest and who I guessed were parishioners who knew Grandmere.

Before we left, Alex went and bought some flowers which he placed in front of the sealed door.

I stayed until the end of the week and then went home. Alex will stay at Grandmere’s home giving up his apartment. I felt good about that. He also said he will send a photo of the mausoleum.

 

Arriving home, Colin and Richie met me. They wanted to know how Grandmere was. I know I was crying when I told them she was in heaven with our grandmother in the rocking chair. I would swear at that moment I heard the creaking of an old rocking chair.

“Are you going to tell the kids at home and at the Home?”

“Yes”

The rest of the ride home was silent. I am sure their thoughts were on Grandmere.

 

Two weeks have gone by and Grandmere is not forgotten. Jean sent photos of the mausoleum which I showed the family.

“Dad, I should have gone with you. I could have helped you with the Angel.” I hugged my protege.

Roger was a frequent breakfast guest. I showed him the mausoleum. He knew Grandmere from when she was here and he had met her in Paris as well.

“I’m planning on a trip next week. Arnaud isn’t doing well. I’ll stop and check out the mausoleum while I am there.”

“I would like to go with you but I suspect I’ll be going again later in the year. If you find Arnaud as bad as you are led to believe, let me know and I’ll fly over. Jean is staying at the house so you should plan on staying there as well.”

 

Routine was quickly established. Our family from the village had returned home. The Christmas trip to the department store was a break I needed. We ended up not only taking two buses but also two vans. I told Colin we need to buy another bus. Our family was growing fast, not only in age but in numbers as well.

Into each life, some rain falls. Armand has lost a woman who has been a friend for a long time. i always wonder if painters are more sensitive than non painters, I don't know the answer. Rest in Peace, Grandmere.
Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 18
  • Love 15
  • Sad 12
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Grandmere must have been waiting for Armand to arrive.  After her final goodbye, she simply passed on to be with GG.  I hope that Arnaud will not also die.  Two close friends dying within weeks will be very depressing and stressful for Colin and Armand's family.

  • Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 3
Link to comment
16 hours ago, weinerdog said:

While these kind of chapters are hardly my favorite you have written quite few of these in this and other stories of yours and I have to say nobody writes this kind of scene better than you

Thanks for the compliment. It is difficult to face death and the unknown. Armand had a history with this woman and I wrote the interaction in the hospital as if it was me knowing Armand's history with this woman. How would i feel and how would i react.

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment
14 hours ago, akascrubber said:

What a touching episode. Armand was able to say goodbye to Grandmere. GG was with her.

It seems Grandmere was in great pain but did not complain. Her grace and composure helped make her greatly loved.

Once again, Amand added an angel to a place of merit--the entrance to Grandmere's mausoleum.

The relationship between Armand and Grandmere was a two-way street. In her eyes, he was the grandchild she never had and in his eyes, she was the grandmother he never had.

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
14 hours ago, mikedup said:

A sad yet uplifting chapter, so we loose another gracious lady , who helped when it was needed, she will leave a gap in their lives, but memories remain , and she will not be forgotten, Armand has Angel's in place where needed and that list is growing. The passage of time stops for no-one 

So true, time marches on. Armand understands that his painting is a way of keeping them alive.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
14 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Touching chapter.

You can't write about life without death. They are a pair. Thanks

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
13 hours ago, Anton_Cloche said:

Thank you @CLJobe / Calvin for this all too touching chapter 😢. Even when you 'feel' that someone's journey is drawing to a close, it still comes with difficulty.

Grandmere Lavigne knew she was unwell, but chose not to burden Armand, who she loved like a son, or her 'petits enfants' (grandchildren) who loved her as much as she did them all, including those at The Home.

I hope Armand painted her 'ange gardien' (guardian angel) on the mausoleum with acrylic paints to withstand the elements.  Although I suspect 🐦will keep it always looking fresh.

Italian 'cousins' return for Thanksgiving and then Armand, Colin and the ever expanding Rowe-Roberts family (including those at The Home) prepared for Christmas. And while someone is missing, late at night perhaps two rocking chairs are heard slowly creaking, as they keep watch.

Bonne nuit grand-mère et que les vols d'anges te chantent pour ton repos.

            Guardian Angel GIF

 

All i can add, "Amen"

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
4 hours ago, raven1 said:

Grandmere must have been waiting for Armand to arrive.  After her final goodbye, she simply passed on to be with GG.  I hope that Arnaud will not also die.  Two close friends dying within weeks will be very depressing and stressful for Colin and Armand's family.

Arnaud is very ill. The dangers of having old friends. I am not sure exactly what is wrong with Arnaud. i know he is old, I met him way before I met Colin. I'm now 50 sp Arnaud has to be in his 90's.

  • Like 3
  • Wow 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..