Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,450 Words
  • 762 Views
  • 15 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 224. Chapter 224

Peter and I had a discussion about James' feeling of loss when Marcel passed on.

“Armand, I’m not sure if his feelings are from not seeing Marcel before he dies or knowing he will not be seeing him again. He was distressed when he heard he was buried and none of us had the opportunity to say goodbye.”

“Marcel was like a father to James. He started working in the kitchen when he was 16 and after we were appointed his guardian, he was here all the time. Marcel was proud of him. For James, it was like losing a father.”

That evening at home, “I was talking to Peter today. He’s concerned about James.”

“James needs a project. Can Peter handle the kitchen at the club?”

“I think he could as long as James is around.”

“Most well-known chefs usually write a cookbook. Maybe James should write a cookbook.”

I thought about what Colin said. It made sense to me and just maybe it will snap James out of his melancholy. Now I need to talk to Peter.

Sunday, I went to the club. Walking into the kitchen there was a feeling of loss. James wasn’t there. There was no chatter. Charles had his soup cooking, and Peter with Billy’s help was trying to make a few selected entrees. A salad was needed to be put together.

“Where’s James?”

“Where he’s usually.”

I took two cups of coffee and headed to the garden. I found him on the swing, crying. Looking up at me when I gave him the coffee, “I miss him. If I had a problem I could call him. It was his recipe I used for the paella. I didn’t say goodbye.”

“You know there is a way you could reach him, making him proud of his favorite student.” He looked at me with a confused look. “You could immortalize his teachings. Most famous chefs write a book with their prize recipes.”

I waited and I could see the beginning of an idea take place. He looked at me, a small smile, and a tear escaped his eye which he quickly wiped away. Then he had his arm around me, “Thanks, Armand you saved me again.”

“Where are you going?”

“ I need paper and we have a lunch to prepare today.”

The idea of writing a cookbook with Marcel’s recipes appeared to solve a problem for James. It brought Marcel to him.

Arriving back in the kitchen. I had gone and got one of Colin’s notepads. I set it before him, he was busy answering questions. Charles wanted to know if there was too much salt in the soup, Billy wanted to know if the bread looked right, and I started to laugh. They asked questions to get James involved. And soon the kitchen was right again. I sat at the table and watched. It was like an orchestra, each doing a part of the producing the music of food, well prepared.

While I watched and listened to the conversations, I began to doodle. James came over and asked me to taste something Peter made. It looked like a small green pepper stuffed with bread. Only when you bit Into it you realized the stuffing was spicy. I reached for my coffee, and in doing so I uncovered what I was doodling. James grabbed the paper I was doodling on, he showed it to the rest of the crew.

“Armand, I don’t know what you did. He’s back and has a name for the book.”

Now I was confused. We hadn’t talked about a name for the book and I only mentioned the idea indirectly to James. I guess Peter didn’t understand my confused look. He went and brought the paper with my doodle, I had doodled ‘I Marcel’ and underneath, a Gault Millau Chef. I looked for James, he was at the cooking range with Billy. I smiled at Peter and left. The kitchen was whole again.

Driving home, I was smiling. James will find in writing the book, Marcel hasn’t left him.

When Colin came home, “I stopped at the club. The kitchen was humming. I thought you said they were down because of Marcel’s death, They didn’t see down for me.”

“The last few days were rough on them. James was angry that he didn’t say goodbye to Marcel. When he found out Marcel didn’t want them to see him when he was dying, he felt hurt. Marcel was like a father to him. I went over several times and sat with him in our roof garden. This morning I mentioned to him that many famous chefs wrote books with their famous recipes. James did a 180, went to the kitchen and you saw it today.”

“What’s this.”

He handed me my doodle sheet.”It’s a doodle sheet. While I was sitting there, I doodle, why?”

“They said that will be the name of Martel’s recipe book. They asked me to give it to you. You scare me sometimes.”

“You know how I feel about you and that will never change.”

“Prove it”

I whispered, “Tonight”

I said that as several of the boys entered the living room, “What does Pop want you to prove?”

“Ask Pop.” Then I left the room to go to my shop, I had a frame that needed to be finished.

We had dinner that night at the club. James was riding high. If I didn’t know better he was on something.

As soon as he saw Colin, “Did you ask him?”

“I forgot. He’s here, let’s ask him now,”

“Have you boys seen Dad?”

“He’s with Uncle Jimmy.”

He was talking to Jimmy. “Let’s wait until they are finished talking.”

Colin looked at James, questionly.

“He wants to resign and he is trying to get Armand to tell you.”

“You just did.” Then they started to laugh. That caused Jimmy and Armand to look at them.

“Do it now, Jimmy. You can tell him about your replacement.”

“What if he gets mad?”

“Tell him. He won’t be mad. Do it with a cup of coffee with your special cream .”

Jimmy used a flavored cream for coffee. The Sunday crowd and the club members called it Cafe Ala Jimmy.

Jimmy was hesitant, Colin thanked him for the coffee. “Colin, I want to retire. I’ve been at this job ever since you opened.”

“Jimmy, I have no problem with that. I’m thinking along the same lines. Have you thought who will take your place?”

“He has Colin and I agree with his choice. You know him,”

“Okay, is he over 21? Needs to be over 21 to sell beer and wine. Who is he, Jimmy?”

“My oldest son, James.”

“No, the person who takes over for you has to be called Jimmy. I have always had a Jimmy behind that bar. So if you want to retire bring me a Jimmy.”

I looked at Colin. I couldn’t believe what he was saying and then I started to laugh. The look on Jimmy’s face was priceless. I could see anger and then, the laughing started.

“Come into the office Jimmy. There are some papers to sign and then I want to meet your son.”

James and I returned to the kitchen.

 

Later that evening at home, “The club won’t be the same without Jimmy. The boys will miss him and his desserts.”

“I’m not sure about that. Knowing Jimmy, his son will be just as clever.”

That evening lying in bed, “GG, life is changing. It’s like turning a page in a book. You wonder what the next chapter is going to be like.”

GG smiled, “Go to sleep, my child.” And I did.

The morning seemed sunnier, the birds were singing and the sun was shining brighter. The world looked different and yet it wasn’t.

Walking into the kitchen, Charles poured me a cup of coffee. “Dad, James gave me these papers to give to you. He said you would know what to do with them.”

“I’ll look at them later. Well Chef, what’s for breakfast this morning.?” Charles turned as if someone was behind him. He hadn’t realized I was speaking to him. When he realized there were only the two of us, he smiled and in French, he said eggs and polenta. His face was lit up in a great big smile.

I went to help, he said no. And reminds me of Marcel in Broken English, “I am the chef.”

There was only Colin and I so we sat in the kitchen. The boys were still sleeping. It was a quiet breakfast, but there were smiles as the chef served us.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 16
  • Love 25
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

"I Marcel, a Gault Millau* Chef" is a brilliant idea. Often a chef will assign a special task to his most promising assistant. This book is something Marcel would have approved of (and perhaps 👨🏼‍🍳 will visit James in his sleep?).

Celebrity Masterchef Yes GIF by MasterChefAU

Thank you Cal @CLJobe.

🫂 

* Gault et Millau is a French restaurant guide. Founded by two restaurant critics, Henri Gault and Christian Millau in 1965, it is seen as THE guide to 'Nouvelle Cuisine' vs Michelin Guide's focus on more 'traditional' cuisine.

https://fr.gaultmillau.com

restaurants3.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment

Awesome chapter, he will certainly be missed but by writing a book he will be immortalised a really great way to remember him , James will grow to be his own person with new recipes to leave for the next generation, times is moving on for all

  • Love 4
Link to comment

Having James write a book immortalizing Marcel and his recipes is a brilliant idea.  The bar will miss Jimmy, but his son will bring new ideas and fun.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
22 hours ago, akascrubber said:

Life changes and goes on. People are remembered and some take on new responsibilities. Love reigns.

Armand helped James grow beyond his loss of Marcel. He will write a cookbook that memorializes him. James is so pleased.

A new Jimmy will take over the bar from his father. Charles becomes the chef of the family and reminds Armand of Marcel.

This was a wholesome, fascinating chapter. Thank you.

You are welcome. The idea of a cookbook in memory of Marcel brought to mind the cookbook of Julia Child. She also was a gifted chef as was Marcel.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
21 hours ago, weinerdog said:

Things are transitioning (is that a word?) I sort of forgot James is only a little younger than Armand and Colin. Speaking of replacing whenever Armand finally joins GG will Armand speak to anybody like GG does to him in his sleep? And who would it be? Tommy perhaps

Life moves on and death is part of life. GG has spoken to Armand for a long time. She is related to him through the female line. I don't think Armand is going to have time to speak to anyone like GG does but if he did, my bet would be on Tommy.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
21 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Life moves on.

James will immortalise Marcel with his cookbook.

Yes, and it will be a gift to Marcel, in a way.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
16 hours ago, drsawzall said:

What a brilliant idea to have James write a book, with a renewed sense of purpose and a potential best seller!!

Armand felt that James needed a connection to Marcel. Creating a cookbook will bring memories of Marcel back.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
12 hours ago, Anton_Cloche said:

"I Marcel, a Gault Millau* Chef" is a brilliant idea. Often a chef will assign a special task to his most promising assistant. This book is something Marcel would have approved of (and perhaps 👨🏼‍🍳 will visit James in his sleep?).

Celebrity Masterchef Yes GIF by MasterChefAU

Thank you Cal @CLJobe.

🫂

* Gault et Millau is a French restaurant guide. Founded by two restaurant critics, Henri Gault and Christian Millau in 1965, it is seen as THE guide to 'Nouvelle Cuisine' vs Michelin Guide's focus on more 'traditional' cuisine.

https://fr.gaultmillau.com

restaurants3.jpg 

I knew I could count on you to explain Marcel's membership. I apologize for counting on you to do what I should have done.  

The idea of a cookbook to immortalize Marcel came from Julia Child's cookbook. Take care and be well

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
11 hours ago, mikedup said:

Awesome chapter, he will certainly be missed but by writing a book he will be immortalised a really great way to remember him , James will grow to be his own person with new recipes to leave for the next generation, times is moving on for all

Yes and with time will come the reality we don't live forever. Three of Armand and Colin's friends have left this world for the next.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
6 hours ago, raven1 said:

Having James write a book immortalizing Marcel and his recipes is a brilliant idea.  The bar will miss Jimmy, but his son will bring new ideas and fun.

I think Uncle Jimmy will miss the club. His son will remind everyone of him.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
23 minutes ago, CLJobe said:

I knew I could count on you to explain Marcel's membership. I apologize for counting on you to do what I should have done.  

The idea of a cookbook to immortalize Marcel came from Julia Child's cookbook. Take care and be well

NO apologies needed or required my friend. Ever. 

This site* is for authors, whether they be 'new' budding ones or accomplished ones like yourself, to post stories and (hopefully) get feedback. Comments that may helpful to both authors and readers.

Stay well Cal.

🫂 

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..