Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,783 Words
  • 1,343 Views
  • 22 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 66. Chapter 66

My nerves were on edge as we entered the court house. Our case wasn’t scheduled until 2 in the afternoon.

“Colin, I thought our petition was to be heard at 1.”

“It was, there is our lawyer, I’ll ask him.”

I sat next to Thomas while Colin went to talk to the lawyer. They were in what appeared to be a heated discussion.

Colin and the lawyer came over to us, Colin introduced Thomas and me to the lawyer.

“Armand, our petition for approval is being contested by child services. We have the report from the Orphanage approving the adoption. The judge wants a little more time to review the reports. We can expect child services to object.”

“On what basis?”

Colin looked at me and from that look I knew what the issue was with child services, two gay men wanting to adopt a young boy.

So we waited. I closed my eyes and spoke to GG. I felt her presence as I did when I was a young boy.

I spoke to Colin, “Ask Mrs. Withers of Child Services if her son was gay and was that the reason he committed suicide.” Her son was disowned by her strict attitude against gays.

Colin looked at me, I smiled at him. He knew who told me about Mrs. Withers’ son. The lawyer wanted to know how I knew.

Colin answered, “He has someone who provides him with information. He won’t tell me how he knows, but he has never been wrong.”

So we sat there for an hour. The lawyer told us what to expect, directing comments to Thomas. I whispered to Thomas just answer the questions honesty and as best as you can. Then I whispered to him, “You will leave as our son.” When he looked at me, I smiled and winked. He tried to wink back but ended up closing both eyes. I hugged him.

At 2:15 a court clerk came out and asked if we were the party petitioning for adoption. Our lawyer answered, we followed the clerk into the court room. I noticed some people sitting at the table on the left, we followed our attorney to the table on the right.

Before we sat down, the judge entered, the people at the other table stood, we were already standing. Sitting down, the judge stated that the purpose of this meeting is to consider the adoption of a minor named Thomas John Beaumont by Colin Roberts and Armand Rowe.

“I have read the petition for adoption. Do the people from Child Services have any comments?”

An older woman stood. “Your honor we are not in favor of this petition. Both adults are men living together and are suspected as being homosexuals.”

Our lawyer stood up, “Your honor, if you look at the report by Child Services on the home inspection you will find that the home has passed and been approved as a suitable home for the child.”

The older woman stood up, “ Your honor, the home report has no bearing on this request. It is a moral issue. Homosexuality is a sin and can threaten the life of this child.”

“Before I make a decision, I’d like to speak to the boy. Young man, will you come with me?”

Thomas looked at me, I nodded yes.

I watched as he went with the judge and just before he went through the door, he turned and waved to us.

Wr sat there and waited, but it wasn’t quiet. The woman from Child Services stood and started to preach to us about the sins of being homosexuals. I put up my hand, “Excuse me. Didn’t your son killed himself because he was a homosexual and your hate made him feel unworthy of living?”

The woman’s face turned white, I heard a voice in my head, I smiled. “Your husband left you because of your attitude leading to your son’s death. He was very close to his father and you thought his father was covering for him. You are divorced, your husband has remarried and they have two sons from his wife previous marriage. Her husband died in the services. The boys are very close to your husband. You, however, are lonely and bitter.”

She looked at me, turned white and grasping fell to the floor. The gentleman with her, went and called the medics. I watched as they put her on a gurney and took her out of the room.

The gentleman who was with her wanted to know how I knew so much about her. Colin said that I have a skill of looking at someone who is out to hurt him and revealing the truth about them. He didn’t mention GG and for that I was glad. Otherwise, they would have taken me away as well.

We must have waited a good 30 minutes before the judge and Thomas came back to the court room. Thomas ran to me as soon as the judge dropped his hand. He climb on my lap as soon as I sat down. Whispering, “You really are my Dad now.”

“This young man and I had a most interesting talk. Mr. Rowe I understand you are a fantastic painter. I have been invited to visit your gallery and view the village. I don’t see any issues with the adoption of Thomas John Beaumont by Armand Rowe and Colin Roberts. Thomas has requested his new name be Thomas John Beaumont Rowe Roberts. That is a big name for a small boy. A revised birth certificate can be picked up at the clerk’s office in two weeks.

“Thank you your Honor. Let me know when you want to visit the village, Thomas and I will be glad to escort you.”

Leaving the court house, I held Thomas’s hand while Colin said goodbye to our lawyer. Then he joined us, taking Thomas’s other hand.

"We missed lunch, call Mom and see if she wants to go to Pete’s with us."

I waited while Colin made the call. “Mom said she already had lunch.”

“Let’s go, I’m hungry.”

Sitting in the back seat, you know who was in the front seat, I thanked GG. I felt her smile.

Walking into Pete’s, was like old times. He told us to sit and he’ll be right with us. “Thomas, Dad and I used to eat here when we went to school here. Armand, Thomas is to formal, let’s call him Tommy.”

I notice tears in Thomas’s eyes, “What’s the matter?”

“My mom and dad called me Tommy.”

“Is it okay for us to call you Tommy?” He smiled as he nodded yes. I took my handkerchief and dried his eyes. “Now, let’s see what Pete has for lunch.”

We didn’t have a choice, Pete brought over coffee for Colin and I and a chocolate milk for Tommy. “I guess we aren’t going to order.”

And we didn’t, Pete sent the two lunches that we always ordered and a plate of spaghetti with meat balls for Tommy.

“I’ll trade with you Tommy.” No way.

As we were eating, Pete came and sat with us. I told Pete we just came back from an adoption hearing and as of today, Tommy is our son.

Pete smiled, “Well this calls for a celebration.”

Pete got up, as we finished eating, and went into the kitchen.

He returned with a small slice of cake with a small scope of ice cream. When set the plate in front of Tommy, he smiled, “Thanks Uncle Pete.”

Colin and I looked at Pete, we must of had the same thought, “Uncle Pete”.

From that time on, Pete became Uncle Pete. Tommy ate free but I made sure the tip covered Tommy’s meal as well.

I knew that Pete’s will become a favorite for having lunch.

Returning to the gallery I knew why Mom didn’t go to lunch with us. My Mom and Dad where there. I introduced Tommy to them and then Colin and I sat back and watch Tommy enchant the Grands.

“To bad your dad is not here.”

I no sooner said that when I heard the gallery door open. “I’ll bet that’s Dad now.” And he was right.

“Everything go alright?”

“Yes, he’s your grandson.”

“Guess I’ll have to change my signage to Roberts, Roberts and Roberts.”

I’m not sure how my parents felt about Tommy’s name ending in Roberts and not Rowe. I’m sure there must have been a reason.

I think this was the first time Colin’s dad has been at the gallery since the village was painted. “Tommy, take your grandfathers and show them the village.” I looked at Colin, he smiled.

One thing I was learning about children, they have their own system of naming people. I’m Dad, Colin is Pop, Mary is Grandmother. He hasn’t named the other three. I had a feeling he was about to name the grandfathers. Taking my fathers hand and Colin’s father hand, he called my dad, gramps and Colin’s dad grandfather.

“Colin, what do you think he will call my mom?”

“Grams. I wonder if that was what he called his grandparents?”

“I think he didn’t have any grandparents or he wouldn’t have been in the Orphanage.”

“Maybe they were to old or lived out of state.”

“I’m sure if there were relatives they would have been contacted.”

“Armand, Tommy said you painted that.”

“Yes, Dad. I stayed in that village when I was in Italy. The woman who owned the house where I stayed was just here. Her daughter just got married and they were here for a week before going back to Italy.”

“Mom, Dad since this the first time you have seen the gallery you should look around.”

“I think I’ll look around with you. One nice thing about a gallery, there are always new items on exhibit.”

So John and my parents toured the gallery. Colin and I sat with his mom. Colin started to bring her up to date today on the adoption. Listening, I wondered how the woman from Child Services was coming along.

When the tour came back to the office, “Armand, you have no security system in the gallery?”

“No, I didn’t think I needed one.”

“By the look of the prices on those paintings I think you should. Do you have this place insured?”

“No, you think I need to do that as well?”

“Yes, these prices on these paintings are a temptation to any art thief.

That evening I discussed what Dad had said about security.

“Armand, you solved the fire protection problem by talking to the fire department, so talk to the police department about security.”

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 23
  • Love 29
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 8/17/2022 at 8:25 AM, drsawzall said:

Thomas is one lucky young man and everyone owes GG a prayer of thanks!!

Guess the next item on the to do list is insurance and security!!!

Definite security. I think with that finish, insurance will be a natural

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 8/17/2022 at 8:39 AM, scrubber6620 said:

Great News. Tommy has parents and is adopted. GG gave the right advice to Armand. The judge, though, was convinced by his talk with Tommy. Everyone is happy. The objecting Child Services lady is taken to the hospital in shock. Her prejudice and secrets came out with the help of GG.

Back at the gallery, Armand is advised by his dad to get security and insurance protection. Next step, talk to the police

They will point him the right direction.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 8/17/2022 at 9:26 AM, weinerdog said:

Armand is usually very smart I'm surprised he didn't think about security for the exact reason Armand Dad said.

You have to wonder why that women from CPS had her job to begin with considering her bigoted additude.But I do hope she's okay  maybe what Armand said might be a wakeup call.

I would have loved to hear what Tommy said to the Judge.Maybe he'll say something to Armand when he visits the gallery

I think she never mentioned her past when she applied for her job. Now everything is out and the lawyer is aware of her prejudices. 

  • Like 4
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
On 8/17/2022 at 9:30 AM, mikedup said:

Congratulations are definitely in order, GG came through yet again, now the family can get on with the business of living in peace , more help on the way with the security which will be needed, and once again very good news for Tommy 

Tommy is one lucky boy. if he only knew the adventures he will experience in the future.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
23 hours ago, mansexlover said:

Great that Tommy has now got himself a whole new family in his dads and grandparents.

I have never experience what Tommy must feel. Every child needs the love and over sight of an adult. In Tommy's case, he has the jackpot.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
22 hours ago, dutch woman said:

Congratulations to Tommy, Armand, Colin and grandparents.

Indeed, a new world will open for Tommy.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
40 minutes ago, CLJobe said:

I have found over the years that people who are in the arts, as Armand, are not business people. What would appear as rational to must people, to an artist the question, 'why' is often heard. But now he is poised in the right direction, he will follow through. 

I understand.  I have several friends in the Arts, but their heads are not so much in the clouds that they are not aware of basic needs. I am also surprised no one ever warned him prior to this.  After all, he put security measures in for the apartments.  No one thought to question about the gallery in the same building?

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I am glad that Tommy was not a witness to Mrs. Withers' homophobia.  Except for her hate, the adoption went extremely well.  In spite of the hurt she caused her own family, I hope Mrs. Withers recovers.  Pete's place for a celebration was sweet, and the grands all showing up at the gallery was a great ending to the chapter.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..