Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,780 Words
  • 1,321 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 75. Chapter 75

I knew something was bothering Colin. I could tell by the tone of his voice.

It was two days later, sitting on the roof. “What’s the matter?”

“When we took those boys home after the fishing trip, their eyes. They were full of sadness even though they had smiles on their face. I felt bad about leaving them. Armand, we have to do something with those kids each week. Maybe a movie or a ball game. The girls had a shopping trip why not the boys as well. Maybe a gift that is special, you could paint their portrait and give it to them. It doesn’t have to be big. I’ll schedule more fishing trips. We need to do something to show them they are special.”

I looked at Colin, his eyes were moist, wrapping him in my arms, I whispered, “I’m the luckiest guy in the world. I knew when I painted your portrait you were special.”

We cuddled on the roof, our place now had become even more ‘our special’ place.

 

Colin was true to his word. He did arrange another fishing trip and with Mom’s help, he arranged for the girls to go a museum in New York. As a little extra for the girls, they had their hair done in a New York salon.

Even though we tried to give them memories, we couldn’t fill their hearts as we did with Tommy.

“Dad, can I have Ronnie over for the week-end?” Ronnie was one of Tommy’s school friends.

“I’ll stop at the Orphanage tomorrow and see if it is possible.” I didn’t want to get Tommy’s hope up until I was sure he could go with me. I knew I’d need the approval of Mrs. Anderson, Director of the orphanage.

Tommy made sure I didn’t forget. Sitting at the table eating breakfast, “Dad, you going to the orphanage today?”

“What is that all about?”

“Tommy would like to have his friend from school spend the night here. I told him I would drop by the orphanage and see if he could come.”

Colin left for work, Tommy and I went to the Gallery.

“Mom, in case anyone wants to know the cost of renting furnished, I have calculated costs for one and for two. This cost represents fully furnished. If any one is interested in a particular room, then these are the costs per room.”

Mom looked the costs over, she wasn’t sure student could afford the cost. “Armand, these costs will be out of their affordability.”

“I thought they could be paid on a monthly basis along with their rent.”

“What would their rent be then, 1200 per month rent plus approximately 800 for furniture. That would cost them 2000 per month.”

“And when they graduate in 4 years, they will have all of the furniture for their next apartment or home.”

“That seems high for a student.”

“Living here, they save money by not paying for the schools cafeteria. Has anyone signed up?”

“No, but I expect they will when the new term starts.”

“If they ask, these are the prices fully furnished. If they ask about renting only one room furnished, tell them we will get back to them. If they want to furnish the apartment themselves, then you know the rental rate.”

“Where are you going now?”

“To the orphanage, Tommy wants a friend to stay over.”

Walking into the orphanage, I was greeted by three boys, “Mr. Rowe when are we going fishing again?”

Mrs. Anderson smiled. “They have been waiting for you or Mr. Roberts.”

“Mr. Roberts is working on the arrangements. There will be another fishing trip soon.” The boys grinned and ran off. I’ll bet all of the boys will know within a short period of time.

“Mrs. Anderson, I came to inquire if Ronald could spend the evening with us.”

“He’s a good friend of Thomas I believe.”

“Yes, when I picked up Thomas he was always with him.”

Before we had a chance to discuss Ronald coming home with me, a woman with the police entered the building. They had a boy with them that was sobbing very hard. Since I was standing in the office, I moved aside and sat in a chair in the corner of the room. The boy who was crying, looked at me and I patted my lap. He came over, I helped him on my lap. He buried his face in my chest, it didn’t take long before my shirt was wet. Mrs. Anderson looked over at me and saw the boy. She signed some papers and the woman and police officer left. Mrs. Anderson look at the child, he was clinging to me. She left the room and soon returned with Ronald. He looked at me and the boy. He pulled a chair next to me, and rubbed the boy’s back. When I looked at Ronald, he had tears in his eyes. It was obvious he knew what this young boy was feeling.

“Mr. Rowe, can you take both boys?”

At that moment, I would take everyone. I just nodded yes. Carrying the boy, with Ronald hanging on my pocket, I went to Mrs. Anderson’s desk, signed some papers, She gave me an envelope.

“Mr. Rowe, that paper gives you permission to keep the boys for a week.”

We were very quiet as we walked to the car. Ronnie and the boy got in the back seat, I drove to the gallery. Thomas was waiting, he was standing at the door and as soon as he saw my car stopped, he was opening the back door. When he saw Ronnie with his arm around the boy, he stopped. Looked at me, then Ronnie and the new boy. For a moment something clicked, Tommy must have experienced the same thing. In my head I heard, ‘he will be the third’.

Since we didn’t return right away, Mom came out to the car. When she saw the boy crying, she became a mother again. She picked up the boy, carried him to her office. Sitting in her chair she rocked him. I remember my mother doing the same thing. The boy stopped crying and now it was just sobs.

I took the opportunity to open the folder Mrs. Anderson gave me. The boy’s name was Richard Lasare. He was 11 years old and would be 12 on the 10th of next month. That was three weeks away. His parents and an older brother were returning home from visiting friends in Maine when their car was hit by a semi on the interstate. Their car was pushed into the left lane from the right lane. From the police report, the semi hooked the bumper and when the driver moved into the left lane, he pushed/pulled the car. A semi in the left lane hit the driver’s side of the car, killing everyone except Richard.

When I read the police report, I thought, GG I need help.

We sat in the office as Mom rocked Richard. Ronny and Tommy were very quiet.

We must have sat there for a good hour. Richard became quiet, he fell asleep in Mom’s arms. We stayed like that until Dad dropped Colin off.

Mom handed Richard to me as I handed Colin the papers. I watched his face as he read the police report. I noticed his eyes become a little wet. I reached on the desk and handed him a tissue.

Mom left with Dad, I watched Colin close up the gallery, it was past closing time. The boys got in the back seat, in Spanish, I told Tommy to get in the front seat. I sat in the back seat with Richard on my lap. Ronnie sat next to me, he leaned on me. I was sorry I didn’t have an extra arm to place around him.

Arriving home, Colin helped me up the stairs with the boys. He had to go to the club, Paul opened.

Tommy took Ronnie to his room. Ronnie had his paper bag with his clothes for tomorrow. I took Richard to the roof, the boys tagged along. Sitting in the swing, I slowly rocked all of us.

“Tommy, take Ronnie to the club. Tell Pop you want Jimmy to fix you three drinks. You and Ronnie bring them here to drink.”

About 20-25 minutes the boy’s returned. Each had two drinks, one for them and one for Ritchie and me.

“Ritchie, the boys have something for you to drink.”

He slowly unwound himself from my arms, Ronnie handed him his drink. He wanted to sit on the swing. I moved to the center I had Ritchie on one side, Ronnie on my other with Tommy on the end.

That was how Colin found us. The boys on either side of me fell asleep. Tommy and I talked about Richie.

When Colin arrived, “Pop, we’re going to adopt Ronnie and Richie.”

“Who told you that?”

“When I’m quiet or asleep, this lady comes and tells me stories.”

I looked at him and then Colin. He mouthed, GG. I shrugged my shoulders.

We sat there for several hours. Colin picked up Ronnie and Tommy, I carried Richie.

“How are they going to sleep?”

“Put them in Tommy’s bed, make them go to the bathroom. They can sleep in their underwear. Tomorrow I’ll take them shopping.”

“I’ll go with you.”

“I was hopping you would say that.”

 

I awoke in the morning and found Richie laying between Colin and I. Reaching over I nudged Colin. “Good morning, I see that you have noticed our guest.”

“What happened?”

“He woke up and was crying. I heard him and didn’t want his crying to wake the other two, so I brought him here. You need to find out more about him.”

“I think we should take all of the boys to a doctor and have them checked out. At least we’ll know they don’t have any physical issues. I’ll call that woman who brought Richie to the orphanage. I know it’s rough to lose your parents at that age, but so have the other boys.”

“You didn’t know how those boys acted when they were first brought to the orphanage. It’s possible what Richie is going through they did as well.”

“It wouldn’t hurt to have them checked out by a doctor.”

“I wonder if the orphanage has those children checked by a doctor. I’ll check with Mrs. Anderson.”

“I’m going to get my shower and then start breakfast.”

That meant after his shower he will go down to the club’s kitchen and bring breakfast up to our apartment.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 18
  • Love 15
  • Fingers Crossed 2
  • Sad 16
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

A sad, but beautiful chapter. Armand and Colin taking in 2 more boys. They wish they could help all the boys in the orphanage.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
10 hours ago, chris191070 said:

A sad, but beautiful chapter. Armand and Colin taking in 2 more boys. They wish they could help all the boys in the orphanage.

They do and it really bothers them that they can't. The best they can do is to give the kids memories.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 8/29/2022 at 7:44 AM, CLJobe said:

A little girl in a house of boys, you know how that would end. one of two ways, she'll be the boss or they will play games on her. Seriously, I'm not sure Armand and Colin would be comfortable with a girl. Both are the only children their parents had. So they grew up without siblings. Being gay they were never attracted to girls. Colin tolerated them at the club, ie Marylou. If he had sister, I guaranteed he wouldn't put up with her antics. The likely hood of the boy adopting a girl is remote. But then who knows the future

Not sure what would happen, but from family experience that wasn't the case.  By family experience I mean that girls have been in the minority for three generations of my family.  The average for my grandparents, parents and siblings have been one girl followed by three boys, or three boys followed by one girl.  My younger brother broke that pattern by trying to add another girl on the fifth try, but got another boy.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..