Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,140 Words
  • 1,036 Views
  • 15 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 176. Chapter 176

Thanksgiving at the Home was something else. Marcel had returned from France to help in the kitchen. The cooks had the day off once they served a light lunch. Marcel along with the club’s chefs had taken over the kitchen. If you didn’t know French, you had better stay away from the kitchen. When I walked into the kitchen to welcome Marcel it reminded me of visiting his cooking school in France. There was no question that this was like an old home to Marcel. He had a modern kitchen, thanks to Colin, and his chefs from France. I couldn’t help but notice the smile on his face. The cooks had gone and changed from their white uniforms and got all dressed up. The Home had happy staff if you judge them by their smiles.

Dinner was a gala affair. The head table was occupied by Tommy, the doctor, the nurse, Louise, the head cook, the head cleaning person, Angela, Geno, and Charles. There were two empty seats and they would stay empty. I sat in the last row and Colin sat in the first row. There was no way we could ever sit together. Colin was surrounded by the older boys, I knew they were talking about fishing while Colin was looking them over as possible golfing mates. I was surrounded by the young girls and their young boys, except for one David. He sat across from me. He was gaining weight, and I watched what he ate. His new teeth, according to Dr. Martinez will be available for Christmas.

Someone told the cooks, he had cut up turkey pieces, white and dark. His stuffing was soaked in thick gravy. He had no problem with his meal and I didn’t see anything he would have a problem with eating.

I was the one having a problem. I had two girls on my lap enjoying my dinner, beside having David across from me, there were two young boys helping themselves to my plate. Standing next to me at my knees were two girls on each side, helping themselves to my dinner. I looked at Colin and he was laughing.

I hadn’t eaten anything from my plate, but several girls were doing a good job as they were being helped by the boys next to David. I just smiled at Colin as he laughed. Then one of the girls shoved a piece of turkey in my mouth. New game, let’s feed Dad. There I sat watching, they would take one bite for themselves and then a fork full which they fed to me. It wasn't the best from a hygiene view, but I couldn’t say no. After my dream that GG sent, I was okay with anything they did as long as no one got hurt.

Colin must have said something to the boys at his table, they quietly disappeared only to reappear with their banks.

“Do you have money?’ He just smiled.

When the kids around me saw the boys with their banks, I was alone except for David. I took the lull to eat. It didn’t last long but I had a trick that would allow me to finish what was left on my plate. I told them that Pop had the coins and they had to go and see him. David looked confused, “David, on occasion Colin pays them for doing something noteworthy, his definition. They save their money for when they go Christmas shopping. You don’t have a bank because you don’t live here. Your bank is at home. Understand?’

His smile with a nod of his head is all I needed to know that he understood. Our boys already knew that and when we go home tonight they will approach Pops for their coins.

We had the Italian contingent with us as well. I saw Colin give them a 5 dollar bill. That meant a visit to a bookstore and the shop where we get our boys' clothes.

Desert and the girls and boys who helped me to enjoy my dinner were back, shaking their banks. Tommy asked them to take their banks to their rooms and to return for dessert. I thought that was a great idea as the kitchen staff cleared the tables. Marcel asked me if I had eaten enough, and laughing he went to the kitchen. He had witnessed how the girls and young boys liked my food.

Dessert for the adults was pumpkin pie and for the kids, pumpkin cookies were decorated with a turkey. My cookie wasn’t any good, it didn’t have a turkey on it. So I had to have a bite of theirs. I looked into their eyes as they offered their cookies. I saw joy, they were sharing with Dad. At that moment I decided I’d move my art supplies to the fourth floor. The studio at home will be Carl’s exclusivity. I’ll be here when I am painting. How much I’ll get done will depend on the number of interruptions. I’ll put a child before my painting.

I saw David struggling with his cookie, I traded with him. There is that toothless smile again.

Dinner over, Charles announced he had two new cartoons for the kids. It didn’t take long for cookies and kids to disappear. Leaving the adults with a second cup of coffee and time to leisurely finish their dessert. Colin offered me a piece of his pie, then he laughed. Peter brought me a second piece of pie and a cup of coffee. “I was watching. I didn’t know if you were going to have the opportunity to eat your pie or the kids would get it.”

“Thanks, Peter. I’m never sure if the kids that hang around me like me to feed them or just the extra attention. But, I wouldn’t change a thing.”

With the kids watching the cartoons, we adults had a chance to chat. I pulled Charles aside and told him I had a project for him. “Could you stop over tomorrow? I’ll treat you to breakfast or lunch.”

“Sure you don’t mind me bringing my oldest son with me?”

“No, it might be a good idea.”

That evening I told Colin I was going to have Charles build a home for Richie. “Where?”

“On the land behind the trees. You did buy that land, right?”

“Yes, I kept the trees. We’ll have to cut a path through the trees.”

“More like a driveway.”

“Do you remember what your dream was the other night?’ “Yes”

“Do you still feel the same way” “No”

“What changed?”

“You, David, the kids at dinner tonight. I could never walk away from them. I’m going to move my studio there and let Carl have the studio here.”

That got me not only a smile but special attention tonight as well.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 19
  • Love 27
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

First off, it is great to know that Colin and Armand are able to have a special time to themselves and not be overwhelmed by all the kids.  Richie having his own house is great.  He needs to start being independent and have his own life.  It shows that Armand is willing to give Richie what Richie needs.  It also shows that as the boys all grow, Armand can let go a bit to give them the room to grow.  

I had to chuckle over the way the kids at the home were both eating Armands food, and feeding him as well.  Looking forward to David being able to eat normally.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..