Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 661 Words
  • 3,760 Views
  • 9 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 98. Chapter 98

Sitting outside with the boys, my mind drifted. Could we raise a baby, no we are guys, we would need a nanny, no, she would have to live with us, where would she stay. I got hit with a football.

“Dad, I’m sorry.”

I grabbed Ronnie, hugging him, I whispered in his ear, “Next time let me know.” Now I started something. He took the ball and went back to his game. Soon I heard, “Dad” as a football was coming towards me. I managed to catch it. This happened a few more times, then I realized this was a game for them. It broke my chain of thought, now I had to catch the ball or it would hit me. Looking at the boys, I decided to play touch football. I’m not a sports person, never played any sports but in college I had attended several college games.

Ronny made up the teams, it was Ronny, Tommy and Richie on my team with the orphanage boys on the opposing team. I knew what would happened, as soon as I had the ball I was on the ground. I think my boys were just as guilty as the other team. What started as touch football became lets get Dad. The funny thing, I enjoyed it as well. The smiles from the boys seemed to be the tonic I needed to snap me out of my black mood.

Mum came out, she wanted to know what all the yelling was about. When she saw me laughing, she went back in and then Colin came out along with Pat.

“Colin, come and help me.”

Laughing, “No way.”

We stopped when Pat told them to take a break and get ready for supper. I think the only thing that would stop them would have been food.

“You enjoyed that didn’t you?”

“Yes, I needed that and the boys had fun.”

Pat showed me where I could wash up. My costume was ruined, so I threw it away.

Walking into the dining room, the pumpkins were lit, and the smells from the kitchen hit me as soon as I stepped in the door.

Colin followed me, “Carmella?” I nodded yes. Spaghetti was on the menu.

We stood at the door as the children came in. My boys had a big smile, standing next to Colin and I, they were smiling and rubbing their stomachs.

After everyone sat down, the cooks brought out the trolleys with plates of pasta. I knew that they have had spaghetti before, I also knew this would taste much different from what they had before.

The older children leaned over their plates, inhaling the aroma. I wonder what they would think once they tasted it. They waited until Pat took the first fork full. When she smiled, they all began to eat. Looking around the table, it was silent except for the sound of eating.

As plates became empty, the cooks wheeled out a cart with a large bowl of pasta. The younger kids, had enough but as the ages increase to the oldest, I watched and then I laughed. The cook had to go back to the kitchen for a refill.

We sat there until James brought out pumpkin cookies and glasses of milk.

We stayed until everyone was finished. A few of the younger kids headed for the blankets in the common room. By the time we were ready to leave, some of the older kids headed to their rooms.

Saying good bye, “Pat, we’ll be back for Thanksgiving. Don’t order any special food, our cooks will bring it.”

Arriving home, we had a party to get ready. The boys headed to Uncle Jimmy, he had a special halloween drink for them. I handle the member’s book at the entrance. At 7:30 I took the boys upstairs to get ready for bed. They had school tomorrow. Colin joined me at 9:30 when he closed the club.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 27
  • Love 25
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

1 hour ago, scrubber6620 said:

What an enjoyable day with time for fun and good food. A real Italian meal made by a native has to be above and beyond excellent.

The kids and adults can rest easy tonight as they unwind and sleep

I knew when Carmella went with James and Marcel, she would cook at least one meal. Now the cooks know how to make spaghetti, that would be on the menu often.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
54 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

You mentioned Thanksgiving. Marcel being from France how well does he know Thanksgiving he might need James help for the menu? Knowing how you write I  can picture Thanksgiving at the orphanage being both happy and tugging at the heartstrings at the same time.And then Christmas shortly after that it's going to almost 24/7 busy for Armand and Colin

Marcel has been in America for some time so he would be familiar with Thanksgiving.  James coming from the orphanage probably isn't much help. I don't think there is a chef or cook in the world who wouldn't know how to cook a Turkey, Maybe not roasted as the Americans do, but it is meat and it will cooked as meat.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

And a good time was had by all. Despite not playing sports in school, Armand adapted to be a 'good sport' and play touch football with his boys and children at the orphanage who are desperate for that connection (with a parent figure)

💞

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment

A happy Halloween they had , Armand had an enjoyable game with the boys , I think that most of the boys needed a father figure and Colin , Armand and James do pretty reasonable job at it , I think that adoption is a bit of way away

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment

It was a great day for the kids.  I had to laugh when Armand got into the football game.  At least the hit to the head got him out of the dark mood he was in.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..