Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,095 Words
  • 775 Views
  • 17 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 231. Chapter 231

Our home had the noise of children. To me, it was better than a symphony.

That night in bed, “Colin, with our boys getting married, we can expect more grandchildren. It would be nice if they lived closer. I enjoy the children,.”

“Don’t worry, I believe this house will always have children running through it.”

He was right. The children who didn’t have school spent the morning with me. We camped out on the living room floor. Colin’s sleeping bags were used for nap time. When school left, the older children stopped for a snack, or so they said.

Between the grandchildren and the boys and girls at the Home, my day was full. I did a little painting at the Home. Mostly the children dressed as various chapters from the stories I would read to them. Stories in the living room, games in the playroom and special cartoons. Not all of the discs were cartoons, there were discs on animals, trees, and plants. So, I painted animals with the children's faces, trees with their faces, and the girls flowers with their faces. When a painting was finished, I gave it to the child. Someday they will be amazed at the value of that painting.

 

Carla had a baby boy. The cock of the walk was Carl. He took over, Carla said he feeds him, bathes him, and carries him as he paints. When Carl brought him to the house when he was painting, I was allowed to hold him. I would sit in the living room in my rocker and rock him. It seemed every 15 minutes, Carl would yell down, “Is he okay?” I just laughed.

It seemed funny but Colin and I discussed a lot of business in bed. I attributed it to the only place where we were alone, Tonight’s subject was setting up a financial program for the Home. “Colin, what do you think about the interest from our savings account and the dividends from my investment account, being provided every quarter? His response was, “Great, get Richie to set it up. Go to sleep, I have a lot to do tomorrow.”?Actually, I discussed it, and he agreed or added some words to the effect of having one of the boys handle it. This was the only time we were alone. I wanted to talk, he wanted to sleep. He did listen to me, and made a comment that ended with ‘go to sleep.’

Now I wondered what he did that made him so tied at night, in the morning. I made a doctor’s appointment for him. “I made doctor’s appointments for us. Luis will stop by the house and check us out.”

Smiling, “It’s nice to have a doctor as a son.”

It was nice, not only did we see him and his wife, we caught up on their news.

 

Nine months after Luis’s visit, I found out why Colin was tired when he came home.

“Armand, come and take a walk with me.”

Holding hands, we headed for the path to Richie’s and Ronnie’s homes. I thought we were going to visit them, but we kept on walking. When Charles finished building Ronnie’s house, he planted some trees at the north edge of the property. He said it would provide privacy for the boys since no one knew who would buy the property north of their property. Now holding hands, Colin and I headed for those trees.

Walking through the trees, I saw two apartment buildings. I looked at Colin, “You wanted our family near us. So for the last three years, I had these apartments built. The one on your left is a two-bedroom apartment and the building on the right is a three-bedroom apartment. Come, I’ll show you the model apartment.

I just looked at him. I couldn’t believe he did this so I could have my wish concerning the boys living close by. Mary Ann was settled at the Home and I knew where Louise was sleeping.

Holding hands, I followed him into the first apartment building. Sitting at a desk in the back of the hall was a man. “Armand, this is George. He is one of the security personnel. This box contains all of the phone connections he needs. Push button labeled one, and he connects to the police. Button two connects him to the emergency ambulance service. The other buttons connect him to utility services, He has a secondary phone that connects him to the apartments.”

I smiled as Colin pulled me to a door marked, Model. Walking into the room, I noticed the floor was carpeted, a sofa and matching chair with end tables and a coffee table were the only furniture. The room looked comfortable.

The next room was the dining room, the floor was carpeted, and a table with six chairs and a sideboard against one wall. There was a door on the left. Walking straight ahead, was the kitchen. If I didn’t know better, I would have sworn I was home. The kitchen was a copy of our kitchen at home.

“Where are the bedrooms?”

Walking back into the dining room, the door I saw, he opened. There was a small hallway leading to the master bedroom. Walking back toward the dining room, we passed the bathroom and the second bedroom.

“How many of these apartments are there?”

“There are four to a floor and there are six floors. Follow me.”

We took the elevator down into what would have been the basement. I followed him into a room with washers and dryers. Then followed him across the hall to another room which he said was the meeting room.

“Is the other building like this?”

“Yes, except there are three bedrooms and the living room and dining room are a little larger. The kitchen is the same size in all of the buildings. Do you want to see the model?”

“Do you have a guard sitting there also?”

“Yes, and I think today Pete is on. Come on, you need to meet him.”

I couldn’t say no to Colin. I knew why he built these apartments. It was my statement when I was told about Louise’s death. “I never want my children to live so far from me.”

That evening walking back home, I held on extra tight to Colin. If I ever needed proof that he would go to the ends of the world for me, I had it now.

Lying in bed, I held Colin tight. GG came and smiled.

I apologize for taking a long time to post this chapter. Old age has a way to slow you up.
Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 13
  • Love 25
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Just like @weinerdog I was thinking Colin was going to say he was ill. So glad he wasn't and what a wonderful idea to build homes for the families so they can live nearby.

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
On 11/10/2023 at 12:07 PM, weinerdog said:
On 11/10/2023 at 12:07 PM, weinerdog said:

Well I was relieved when the apartments were revealed because up until then it sounded like Colin would be diagnosed with something.The apartments are a good idea if you  have the means to do it and luckily they do.

The apartments will stand as an example of Colin's devotion to Armand. 

 

  • Love 3
Link to comment
On 11/10/2023 at 12:08 PM, akascrubber said:
On 11/10/2023 at 12:08 PM, akascrubber said:

What a wonderful idea brought to life. Two new apartment buildings to be home for their extended family. Colin was so supportive and wise.

Armand painting things for the children is so thoughtful. They will have special gifts and good memories.

What a wonderful idea brought to life. Two new apartment buildings to be home for their extended family. Colin was so supportive and wise.

Armand painting things for the children is so thoughtful. They will have special gifts and good memories.

They are gifts for the future. What a surprise is in store for them

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
On 11/10/2023 at 12:59 PM, chris191070 said:

Colin is so thoughtful and does everything to keep Armand happy.

That is what love is all about. Armand knows what Colin did was for him. their bonds could not have been closer.

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
On 11/10/2023 at 2:30 PM, Anton_Cloche said:

" I apologize for taking a long time to post this chapter. Old age has a way to slow you up".

So says @CLJobe ?

Calvin if old age is slowing you down, the results are great chapters taking a little longer to reach us. That's a fair trade off. (But doesn't offset reader's concerns :heart: for your well being).

I'm glad the diagnosis for Colin's fatigue is 'builderitis'. (Affects people in construction?) Is the model apartment resembling Armand & Colin's home a downsizing hint by Colin (or not, since no 3rd room with lots of windows that could be a studio).

Carl and Carla have a baby boy. Perhaps named Carlson (Carl's son). Armand's paintings of their grandchildren are "so thoughtful" and "special gifts and good memories" as @akascrubber mentioned. But as Armand thought:  "Someday they (the children) will be amazed at the value of that painting". An original 'Arrow' could pay for college, but I suspect trust funds will cover college or trade school educations and allow the children to truly cherish their grandpa's artwork.

🫂

This weekend 11·11·11 (11th hour, 11th day, of the 11th month) Nov.11th celebrates Remembrance and Veteran's Day. 

Something Arrow might paint?

       images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ8q6zksIHHSF_kxbk9k_2

I am reminded on this day of a poor president's refusal to attend a cemetery because it was raining. He never realized the rain was tears of God concerning those who were sleeping there. That, i'll never forget

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
On 11/10/2023 at 2:44 PM, drsawzall said:

Loved this chapter, Colin is a saint!

He is devoted to his mate, as it should be.

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
On 11/10/2023 at 5:25 PM, mikedup said:

Another awesome chapter, I had a sense of doom when I started to read this chapter, but you very skilfully diverted us away , a great legacy having the apartments built, a just continuos event in their lives, 

Colin is tying up loose ends, He has given Armand a constant reminder of his love and devotion.

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
On 11/11/2023 at 3:22 AM, mansexlover said:

Just like @weinerdog I was thinking Colin was going to say he was ill. So glad he wasn't and what a wonderful idea to build homes for the families so they can live nearby.

Colin's devotion is remarkable. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment

Colin takes great delight in surprising Armand with wishes fulfilled.  I expected the worst for Colin and instead, Armand got the best surprise.  Excellent chapter.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..