Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 3,157 Words
  • 857 Views
  • 23 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 210. Chapter 210

The excitement of being home and meeting Pierre momentarily overshadowed our Italian brothers arriving on Monday. Momentarily, before they told Colin they had to take Pierre fishing before the Italians arrived. I knew that wasn’t true but the idea of a Saturday fishing trip was appealing to me. It would take my mind off of Arnaud’s death. The boys are getting smart, so they sent David to ask if they could invite a friend. I knew they may be surprised when their friends turned them down. I wasn’t sure the boy’s fathers that went on the last trip would allow them to go. When I told Colin, he said let the boys ask, if they say no I’m sure there will be others who will want to go fishing.

That night during our tucking in, the boys were excited but none as excited as Pierre. He never had gone fishing before. Charles told him about the last trip and the size of the fish they caught, so when Colin and I went to tuck them in, he had a lot of questions. Then he got serious, “Sir, I never went fishing before. I don’t have the equipment nor the clothes for a fishing trip.”

Now Charles was laughing. “Don’t worry. You can wear Charles’s clothing and use his fishing gear.”

“Don’t worry Pierre, we will help you and you can use my fishing pole.”

Colin hugged Charles good night, I hugged him kissing him on his cheek b and then Colin hugged Pierre. I followed with my hug and a kiss on his cheek. Making sure they were tucked in lights out whispering good night, we left. Walking away we could still hear them as Charles continued to tell Pierre how much fun he would have.

That night lying in bed, “Have you thought what you will say if Pierre wants to stay longer?”

“No. Christian and his family are planning on making a visit in three to four weeks. Christian said he would visit when he had completed Arnaud’s instructions and had filed the necessary papers. I guess Arnaud had several projects that needed closure.”

“You really believe that he will go back to Paris with them.”

“I’m fine if he does or not. In either case, I’m sure he will be a frequent visitor. Go to sleep.”

Of course, sleep didn’t come for a while. Colin said he needed a rubdown.

For some reason, I woke before everyone. Showered, shaved, and dressed I headed for the kitchen. Coffee on, I sat and watched the coffee pot. I chuckled, who said a watched pot never boils? When the coffee was finished, I poured myself a cup. Taking my cup, I walked outside. There is something about the morning air, It retains enough of the coolness of the night to give it a special freshness. The quiet of the morning I appreciated, especially this morning as my mind drifted to Arnaud and Michael. I was deep in my thoughts when someone took my free hand. Looking down Gerry was smiling at me,

“Pop sent me to get you. Breakfast is almost ready.”

I bent over and kissed him on his head as he led me back into the house holding my hand.

“So you found him, Gerry.”

“I think I scared him.”

“He did, I was thinking about the last few weeks and Arnaud’s attachment to Michael. Okay, whose turn is it to cook this morning?”

I shouldn’t have asked that question, it was my turn. Or so they said.

I headed to the kitchen. Marie was pouring the orange juice. I told her to take a cup of coffee and go sit with the family. She left and David entered. He made a fresh pot of coffee, I started the eggs. David placed a tray of sausages in the oven to cook. Then he started making toast, I buttered the toast as he set them on a plate in front of me. Eggs finished, toast coming along, sausages turned and would be ready in a few minutes. Toast and eggs taken to the dining room table, I decided to make more eggs, which I finished as David removed the sausages from the oven.

Walking into the dining room, Peter was sitting in my chair. Gerry got up and offered me his chair. I sat down and lifted him onto my lap so he could finish his breakfast. When I thought everyone had finished eating, Richie and Ronnie arrived. Richie took a cup of coffee while waiting for Colin to get his briefcase. They left for the office leaving Ronnie and Peter to give the kids a ride to school. In less than 20 minutes, I was left alone with Charles and Pierre. They pitched in and between Marie and the boys, we had the morning dishes finished, the kitchen clean and the dining room table wiped.

Peter returned for Charles. Pierre and I were left alone with Marie. I wanted to add a coat of thinned paint to the canvas. Charles delivered the frame the evening I left for Paris, With Carl’s help, they got a piece of canvas to fit the frame and now we would need to treat it as we did for Michael’s painting. I knew Carl applied two coats of thinned primary so this would be the third. By the weekend, we could start painting Jean’s Angel.

During the coating operation, Pierre wanted to know what I was doing. I had a small scrap of canvas cloth so I showed him how unless the cloth was sealed, the paint wouldn’t adhere to the cloth. Now, he helped to seal the canvas cloth.

When we were done, I tossed him over my shoulder and headed for my car. We were going to check out Ivan’s farm and if we were lucky, there may be some roasted peanuts.

When we were in the car, noticed Pierre was crying. “Pierre, what is wrong? Did I hurt you?”

He shook his head no. Then he was sitting in my lap with his face buried in my shirt. We sat there for what seemed a long time as he tried to get himself under control. When he stopped crying, he looked at me. “I’m sorry.” Reviewing the last moments then, as if a mule kicked me, I realized what happened.

Pierre was a lonely young boy and with me showing him how to seal a canvas, and then tossing him over my shoulders, he felt something akin to acceptance and how it felt to be treated as a boy and not the formality he was used to.

When he quieted down, I hugged him all the more. We think of the poor little rich boy and laugh. Here was a rich boy who just felt like a normal child. “Let’s go and see Ivan.”

He moved to his seat and once in a while, I heard a sniffle. I would smile at him, he would smile back. I would reach over and tickle him, tears gone, he was laughing.

Arriving at Ivan’s farm, we checked in with Elsie. She said he was out in the fields and if we wanted to wait, he should be here in about an hour. I told her I wanted Pierre to see the farm so if it is okay we will just wander around and perhaps we’ll see Ivan. And that is what we did.

We stopped and saw Louise’s sheep. At first, Pierre didn’t want to touch her. I took his hand and placed it on the sheep, then he smiled as he petted her. Our next stop was the chickens. I went and got a hand full of chicken feed, crushed dried corn. I put some in his hand telling him to toss it to the chickens. The chickens seeing the corn came to him, and he dropped some in front of himself so he had chickens pecking his shoes for the corn. He froze for a minute. I pointed to an area and gave him some molded corn, he threw it where I pointed, and the chickens headed for the corn.

Next stop we needed to check out the fruit trees. On one of the trees, there were two red apples close to us. I held Pierre's hand so he could pick those apples. Standing, looking at the other trees, I took the apples, wiped them off, and gave one to him. I started to eat mine, he began to eat his. Then I heard, Who is stealing my apples? Pierre started to cry again, and Ivan noticed the tears.

Taking the boy in his arms, he said, “I’m sorry I scared you. You can eat the apple and any other ripe fruit. Dad, there are a few plums on those trees..”

“Let’s go and get a plum. Ivan any peanuts?”

I swear you have a nose for peanuts. I told Elsa this morning that as soon as I start roasting peanuts you would be around.”

I hugged Ivan, whispering he needed a lesson in peanut growing. As we headed to the peanut field, “Pierre, tell Ivan what you have seen and done so far” Whispering in his ear, “He won’t be mad.’

So I listened as he told Ivan about the sheep and the chickens. In English, I told Ivan isn’t he glad Grandmere taught him French? Of all of the children, he was the one who wasn’t interested. But I give him the credit he stuck to it.

Following Ivan, he gave Pierre a lesson in growing peanuts. He pulled up a plant showing him the peanuts. Then to the roaster which was running. He said James wanted more. He took some roasted peanuts, put them in a bag, and gave them to Pierre. I took one and cracked it open, giving one of the peanuts to Pierre and the other nut I ate.

Ivan said he had to pack some for James. He went to his shed and came out with 4 burlap bags and two scoops. I was sure one of those scoops was meant for me, so I stood behind Pierre. I was wrong, the other scoop was for Pierre.

Ivan showed him how to put the dried peanuts into the sack and then left him to do it. I watched except for taking a break to eat a peanut, he was doing very well.

With four bags filled, “Dad, can you drop three bags off at the Home?”

“Sure, that was our next stop.”

We did stop at the house. Elsie had freshly made coffee for us and a glass of milk for Pierre. We chatted about fishing on Saturday and having paella on Sunday. "Our Italians are arriving on Monday so I was thinking of instead of having paella on Sunday, having it on Monday at the Home. What do you think?”

“That would be a great idea but we will need more tables.”

“I’ll talk to Charles. What’s up with your neighbor? Wasn’t he going to sell?”

“Yes, but he asking more than what it's worth. I offered him a price. I think he will eventually take it.”

We chatted for a few more minutes while I finished my coffee.

“If I’m going to stop at the Home, we need to be going. The boys will be home from school soon.”

Saying goodbye, I helped Ivan load the bags of peanuts. When finished loading, we were off to visit the Home. We couldn’t stay long, I had to be home for the kids.

Driving to the Home, pulling in, and waiting for the gate to open. “Pierre, here there are a lot of children without parents who live here. One of my sons works here.”

I saw two boys heading our way. Gates open, I drove in, gates closed and car doors open. “Hi, Dad.”

Hi Jake, Tommy. Ready to go fishing Saturday?”

“Yeah, I think everyone has been excited about going.”

“Guys, this is a friend of mine from Paris. His name is Pierre and he is learning English.” Now the boys welcomed him in French.

Pierre looked at me. “They speak French.” I laughed.

I started to unload the sacks of peanuts. “Dad, are those from Uncle Ivan?”

“Yes. We visited his farm today. Can you help carrying them to the kitchen?”

The two boys carried one bag and I took one bag. “Pierre, can you watch one bag and I’ll be back to get it.”

Didn’t happen. As the two boys approached the kitchen door, they saw some of the boys at the pool and yelled peanuts. I gave the boys the sack I was carrying and went back for the third sack. I no sooner picked up the sack, Pierre closed the van’s door when two more boys came and took the third bag from me.

Entering the kitchen, the cooks opened the first bag letting the boys take a handful. Before I could say anything, the kitchen was filled with the kids getting a handful of peanuts. Two bags were emptied, and one of the cooks took the third bag to the basement, but not all of the kids had their handful of peanuts. “Pierre, go and bring the sack we have in the van. I’ll take one of these empty bags back to Uncle Ivan to fill for us.”

I watched as Pierre approached two boys and then all three were gone. I was going to give them the empty sacks, but they were gone.

Arriving with the last sack, the cooks made sure those who hadn’t had any nuts, had their handful. Even Pierre got a handful before the remaining nuts followed the full bag to the basement.

I wanted to see Tommy before leaving. I told Pierre he could come with me or maybe one of the boys could show him the game room. He came with me.

As we walked to the office, we had to go through the dining area. I saw Pierre looking at the tables and chairs. “Dad, how many kids stay here?”

I smiled at the Dad. I should have expected it with all of the children calling me dad, but it was a surprise and I was okay with it.

Reaching Tommy’s office, I knocked before entering. Tommy was at his desk, he looked worried.

“Tommy this is Pierre.” Tommy smiled and welcomed Pierre to the Home. Pepe corrected him, “Angel’s home.”

“It seems the children have been telling people this is the Angel’s Home.”

“You seem bothered about something.”

“We are a little short this month.”

“Pepe, would you do me a favor and give Pierre the grand tour.”

Pepe took Pierre’s hand. “Let’s go, I think they are going to discuss business.”

After they left. “What’s the problem?”

“The State has cut our funds. They are saying that the projected income for the coming fiscal year is projected to be 15 percent less. They are asking all of the agencies to cut expenses by fifteen percent. I can cut 5 percent but no more. Dad, if I have to cut more it will have to come from the food budget and I’ll need to lay off a cook and a cleaning lady.”

“What about your reserves.”

“That account is for major expenses like expansion or the need to replace equipment.”

“Give them what they want. This building is owned by Pop and I. We will take care of the utilities and equipment needs. Don’t lay off anyone. See if you can find enough money once you have used the reserves to meet the government guidelines to give the staff a small increase. When you talk to the officials representing the government make sure they understand you are using the reserves which may mean you may not be able to absorb additional children. Between you and I, that will never happen. As long as this place exists no child will be turned away.”

I got my hug and a kiss from Lois. I didn’t realize she was listening.

As I went to find Pierre and Pepe, there was no way the Home would shut its door to a child in need.

I found the boys in the game room. They were showing Pierre the pinball machine.

“Dad, is Tommy okay? He was very worried.”

“Go and see him, I think he is no longer worried.”

I watched Pierre when a little girl wanted to be picked up. I kissed her on there cheek and I got a sloppy kiss back.

When Pierre finished his game, I put my little girlfriend down telling her I must leave but I’ll be back, I gave her a hug and a kiss on her cheek, With Pierre in tow we left the Home. This time Pierre opened and closed the gate.

I didn’t drive straight home, I stopped at Ivan’s. Elsie said Ivan knew you would be back. “These two sacks are for you.”

Loading the sacks of peanuts, and saying goodbye to Elsie we headed home.

We no sooner had the peanuts in the kitchen when I heard Peter’s horn. Then the boys hit the kitchen. I was waiting for one more, Ronnie had his van with the rest of my family.

Now the noise level rose, “Dad, you were at Ivan’s farm.”

Now they started looking for the peanuts. I pushed the bags under the kitchen prep table. Sniffing they were getting close, “Did you give the permission slips for Saturday’s fishing to your friends?”

“Dad, one of the boys who went with us last time told me his dad won’t let him go.”

I knew who that boy was. Whispering to him, “Tell him to give the slip to his mother.” He smiled and I got a hug.

And the boys found the peanuts. They wanted to open the sacks, “Not now. Go change your clothes and make sure you hang your pants and coats. Bring your homework and while you do that you can eat your peanuts.”

Several Christmases ago Colin found these metal mugs that hold almost a hand full of peanuts. He bought several cases which we still had unopened.

“Marie, do you know where those extra cases of peanut mugs are?”

“Yes, in my laundry room.”

I asked David to go and bring up a case. There were 6 cups in a case. David brought up two cases. Each boy who didn’t have a cup. “You need to write your name on the cup on this white spot.” I handed the cup I was holding to Pierre. His smile was payment enough. Carl brought a marking pen and wrote Chef Boy on one and Pierre on the other. Now the dining room began to smell like roasted peanuts.

While the boys did their homework, I went to the studio and put another coat of diluted paint on the canvas.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
  • Love 30
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

8 hours ago, Anton_Cloche said:

Perhaps Grandmere Lavigne? (before she departed to partner up with GG 🐦). 

I agree with all previous comments about Pierre. He is a dear child, but one that needs unconditional love and support.

IMHO, Pierre is through no fault of his own, a victim of circumstance because he was born out of wedlock.  Unfortunately under archaic French law, Pierre is illegitimate for inheritance of Christian's (previously Arnaud's) title and estate despite being eldest son. (for explanation see my Chapter 209 comments). As a result, he is a problem in need of a solution, one that saw Christian (under instruction from Arnaud and his deathbed new Last Will and its' Proviso) sending him off to America with Armand and Colin. 

Hopefully this will soon become clear ?

As for the State Government decision to cut 15% of funding for orphanages, and  as a result Angel's Home, it looked like Tommy was between the proverbial 'Rock and a hard place'. But there's no way Armand and Colin will ever let that happen, when Armand said: "As long as this place exists no child will be turned away.”

 

There are times when you read my thoughts. But you are right, There is no way a child will be turned away. But I do have some surprises coming up.

  • Like 1
  • Wow 4
Link to comment
6 hours ago, CLJobe said:

 There are times when you read my thoughts. But you are right. ... But I do have some surprises coming up.

I can read thoughts, yet still not able to foretell numbers on 6 balls worth $435 Million? 

It's like you went to the fortune teller's tent (at county fair, if you recall those), and she says: "there are dark clouds in your future". While for the past few days the weather service has already issued alerts. Hmm?

As for those "surprises" since we're dealing with possible French Royalty* (Royauté française), does the surprise involve an old portrait in The Club's cellar, hiding something in the wall? A velvet bag in an wine cask, filled with a few thousand 'Louis d'or' XVI coins. 🐦

   5ea1b7b78d08d9.04913541-original.jpg 5ea1b7b790de38.85636446-original.jpg

Nothing up my sleeve, Presto!

🫂

* Historical Footnote: Although French Royalty ceased to exist after the French Revolution and creation of 'le Republique", names, titles, certain lands continue to be recognized by France. The one certified title is Duke of Longueuil, in an area of land situated outside current day Montreal, Québec, Canada. It was created in 1700 by Louis XIV as follows:

"The said land and seigniory of Longueuil, situate in our country of Canada, with the title, name and dignity of a barony for the enjoyment of the said Sieur Charles Le Moyne, his children and successors according to law, and the descendants of the same born in lawful wedlock, in full and peaceable subjection to us by right of our crown..."

Signed Louis XIV

The section in bold (above) directly would affect 12-year old Pierre, as Christian's son who under French law would be 'illegitimate' and denied any right to succeed Arnaud or Christian, or any inheritance. That is why (and my guess) Arnaud needed Armand (and Colin as a lawyer) to witness his revised and Last Will, with a Proviso (Provision) to look after Pierre.  👴🏼 💕 👦🏼

Edited by Anton_Cloche
  • Wow 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..