Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 574 Words
  • 2,939 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 6. Chapter 6

Armand’s classes involved:

The actual painting.

Mixing of various materials and paints.

Critiquing known painters, the Masters.

He favored artists like DaVinci over Dali, and he preferred reality rather than cubism. He could understand what this artist tried to convey, but for him, the painting was a portrayal of nature, a snapshot to be immortalized in oils on canvases.

With the money he made selling his paintings, Armand spent his summers touring the great art galleries, the TATE in England, the Louvre, Prado, and the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York. There he found one of his paintings. He was surprised, but he also felt a sense of pride.

He completed his BFA at Carnegie and enrolled at Yale to earn his MFA degree. This was a big step for Armand as he now had to compete with top artist students. GG told him not only would he survive, but new doors would be opened to him. What she meant was beyond Armand’s understanding, and he accepted her advice and input since he had total faith in her guidance. After all, she hadn’t failed him.

So with a positive attitude, he started Yale. The first few weeks were devoted to lectures and composition. The students were shown photos of paintings and were asked for their comments. Armand liked some of the photos, and he wrote why and those he didn’t, his critiques indicating how he would have painted that picture. What he didn’t realize, he would be given that opportunity.

After the first six weeks, the class moved to a large area designed for painting. Bright lights, easels, and stools were set up in a semi-circle pattern around a small stage. For the next six weeks, Armand was given those paintings he had criticized and instructed to paint them as he would, in other words, put your critique on canvas.

Armand thought this was a great idea. He could better explain his comments through his painting. His professor walked around the room, watching and making comments when appropriate. Armand noticed he was watching him more than the others. He knew some had earned their BFA’s at Yale and decided that the professor just wanted to see what he could do since he was new.

Besides the actual painting, his professor held a lecture series every Friday afternoon. At these meetings, new techniques were discussed. A critique followed these meetings. A photograph of one of the original paintings was shown on the screen, followed by adverse comments, and then the new painting was shown, followed by a critique from the students. Armand was surprised to see his painting reflecting his comments on the original painting that was being shown. He listened carefully to his classmates’ comments, which weren’t all favorable. The class was divided between those who preferred the original versus Armand’s painting.

Over the semester, Armand had the opportunity to offer his comments. Some of the students became slightly agitated when Armand made his comments known. He was direct, saying he liked or disliked the revised painting. One of the students took the class’s critiques as a reflection on himself rather than on his painting. Armand learned not to be so direct but to make positive suggestions as if he had painted that picture. This approach permitted a discussion, allowing each artist not to feel threatened by Armand’s comments.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 47
  • Love 35
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Armand is learning not only artistic skills but life skills as well. To have ones painting hanging in MoMA speaks greatly to his talent and to have half the class prefer his interpretation over a great master is an honor. Way to go ARROW! ❤️

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
5 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Another great snapshot into Arrows life, as he navigates school and learns more, on his way to being a successful artist.

Yes, it is a slow process but he will be thankful later.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Georgie DHainaut said:

Yeah, experience tells me that artists can be rather touchy. But Armand seems to have a knack of dealing with that. And like GG said: He'll survive Yale....and make a name for himself. I feel he is stubborn enough to stick to his own thing and not simply follow the art in vogue at that moment. 

You are right. He believes that a painting should be a snapshot.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
4 hours ago, mikedup said:

Interesting, some of his fellow students are not very accepting of criticism not realising that each person looks and sees a picture differently, he is learning quite a lot

He is learning more about not only art but people as well.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Wow. In a short number of chapters we have seen the boy Armand, with dreams/visions of his Great, Great Grandmother - his GG - grown into a young man and now with a BFA and starting Yale for his MFA? That puts him in the 20-ish age range. (And this story, coming as most do to you in your dreams Cal, is moving at a fairly quick pace).

Appreciate Armand's preference for realism (paint what you see) versus Cubism (although both Dali and Picasso's family confirmed that they too painted what they 'saw', but their 'visions' were affected by specific 'health conditions' ).

Will be interesting to see where this story leads us, but I'm guessing it is a much shorter story. NOT a criticism in any way, shape or form. I greatly appreciate every story you 'gift' us with.

Take care, stay well, stick around for a LOT longer, (although some great works live on 'forever').

:thankyou: :hug:

  • Like 4
  • Wow 1
Link to comment

I love the journey that our boy is travelling... You can literally see him growing as he journeys along his path... I must admit that I am jealous, I wish I had my own GG... I could do with some guidance now and then. 

Loving it as usual.:thankyou:

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Very nice chapter with interesting comments about art.  My only comment on art is art that communicates something to me is valued by me.  I find beauty in art that conveys feelings, moods, messages or the splendor of life no matter the style or time. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..