Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 488 Words
  • 1,699 Views
  • 17 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 50. Chapter 50

Carlo stayed with us until he had to leave for the Christmas holidays to be with his family in Spain. Colin gave him a copy of the photos he had taken of him in the club and on the roof. I did give him a tour of the gallery, but not the room with the village of Grottaferrata. I needed to show that to just Colin first.

Thanksgiving at Colin’s parents home was a joyous time with Carlo. Colin explained why we celebrated this day. Mary and Mom were fascinated with Carlo’s accent. I think Carlo put it on a little thicker than normal. Every once in a while he would say something in Spanish. They would look at me for a translation, I would translate it but not necessarily as he meant. In Spanish he said this was the first time he had this big chicken. I translated that as, he said he missed having lamb and he didn’t know we raised such big chickens.

Colin knew that wasn’t what he said but the look on Carlo’s face told the others that wasn’t what he said. My mom who was sitting next to me, hit me. So I told them what he said that this was the first time he had eaten turkey. I got another slap from my mom.

Friday, Mom and Mary were going to take Carlo shopping. I knew he’ll need another suitcase. I decided to use this time to take Colin back to Italy. On the excuse I needed to drop off a painting for the gallery, we drove to the gallery. Colin opened the door, and followed me in. “Lock the door.” He did.

We walked to the office where I dropped off the painting.

“Close your eyes.” He did. I led him into the room, turned on the light, “Open your eyes.”

I watched as he moved around, he would look at a wall, move on and then return and look again. He would look, then point. I would nod my head. “Geno?” I nodded yes.

We spent an hour there. Colin would point, make a comment, I just smiled. I’m not sure which of my paintings meant more to him. The mural at the club was like a Rolodex of photos and the Village was like home.

“Are you going to show your family?”

“Yes, we can show them Sunday morning. I just wanted you to see this first.”

Driving back home, “I wonder how many are going to show up at the club tonight?”

“No one.”

“No one?”

“Yes, Letters were sent indicating the Club will be closed Thursday and Friday.”

Holidays spent with friends adds a special meaning. I'm sure Carlo will remember just as we will. "It was nice having Carlo here. I think this may become one of our traditions." The smile I got cemented that Carlo will be joining us next year's Thanksgiving.

A short chapter.
Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 29
  • Love 30
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 7/5/2022 at 8:38 PM, weinerdog said:

Very nice  chapter😀. One question from how Carlo reacted are people in Spain unfamiliar with what a turkey is?

Hi!  Turkey as a joint is found only at Christmas in the more expensive supermarkets.  But turkey fillets, legs etc are available all year round.  My Spanish partner doesn’t like it so I can’t have it even at Xmas 😢 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 7/8/2022 at 9:42 PM, CLJobe said:

People in Europe aren't as familiar as we may think. I spent Thanksgiving in Amsterdam at a friends home. We went shopping for a turkey and couldn't find one. I read a notice that a hotel was selling turkey dinners. I bought one,  the turkey wasn't large and undercooked, 12 lbs. The stuffing was just bread, the other compliments were Dutch. 

@CLJobe I got a laugh at this comment.  There is a very good French Bistro in Chiang Mai.  An American friend arranged a Thanksgiving meal for a group of expats there.  The turkey came to the table stuffed with fresh cut veggies like whole carrots and celery stalks.  It was overcooked and dry.  No mashed potatoes, stuffing or gravy.  The rest of the dishes were French Onion soup, salmon mousse and steamed broccoli and pear tarts for desert.  My friends still complain 4 years later! :gikkle: To be fair, I loved the soup and desert.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..