Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 954 Words
  • 1,238 Views
  • 27 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 171. Chapter 171

Life continues, upsets only breaks the monotony, and adds a little spice to our life. Colin was smiling more, Richie called him slave master. I would listen to their arguments. Ritchie wanted more pay, Colin told him he painted his name on the door to the private bathroom, that was enough. The next argument he told Ritchie his name is on the wall in the vestibule. Ritchie took a picture, there was his name, written in crayon. I knew Colin had a sign made up listing the firm as Roberts, Roberts, and Rowe. I also knew that Colin had Ritchie on the payroll at minimum wages but he also was making contributions to Richie’s saving account.

Ritchie returned to law school. He had one more year to go before taking his bar exam. But something happened that could have thrown a bomb in Ritchies plans. GG ask me how I would react when the boys started to marry. I told her it would be a natural projection of life. I reminded her Colin and I got married when we graduated. I wondered why she asked.

If I had to list the boys as to when they would marry, I’d think I would pick Ronny first, then Ivan or Ritchie. I don’t think Tommy will marry, He feels the weight of the Home. Maybe that is why Pat never married. I had trouble sleeping, the idea that a person who has the responsibility of the Home cannot enjoy the companionship afforded in a marriage bothered me.

That evening, lying in bed, I discussed with Colin about the older boys getting married. He thought Richie would be the last and he also thought Tommy would find a mate.

“Why do you think Richie will be the last?”

“He will need to find a girl from France,”

I was surprised when he said that.

 

The first of the boys who found their help mate was Ivan. He met this girl when they were making the park where the old orphanage existed. She was the one who convinced him to join her class and history was made. Once finishing school, Ivan moved to his farm, Charles did his magic and what was a 4-room house now became a 7-room home. But that wasn’t all, he replaced the heating system, and provided new kitchen equipment. Ivan was so grateful he told Charles he will provide him and his family with all of the vegetables he wanted and a supply of eggs and milk.

When Chef James heard Ivan had bought a farm, he realized he now had a source of naturally grown vegetables, Ivan agreed he wouldn’t use any herbicides and James agreed to buy all of the vegetables, eggs, and milk from Ivan. I had an idea what would happen, Ivan was encouraged to buy some fruit trees and he had put in a few acres of peanuts. What Ivan thought was a simple planting turned out to be a major piece of work. James bought an oven to roast the peanuts. At first, Ivan wasn’t enthusiastic but roasted peanuts and the kids at the Home changed his mind. James was fair with Ivan and they grew close.

 

The club’s chefs were gone as usual. Although Ronny said he saw Billy in town. “Are you sure? They aren’t due back for another three weeks.”

“Yes Dad, I’m sure. He came out of the house, locked the door got in a cab, and was gone.”

I believed Ronny, but I couldn’t figure out why Billy would come back without the rest. I told Colin, and he said for me to wait and I can ask him.

 

Carl continued to work with Roger. I thought his painting had improved significantly. I also found out who was buying his paintings, Ivan and Ronnie were financing his painting.

Making sure I split my time among the boys and Louise, we would gather on the roof on Friday evenings. On Saturday, was golfing with Colin and then an evening at the Home watching movies. That worked until the chefs returned with Maria and Mary Ann. It seemed Maria had two additional travelers with her. Her sister and brother who Mary Ann knew. Her sister, Anne Marie, was one year younger than Richie and it was obvious Maria was playing matchmaker. According to Maria, Anne Marie just graduated from the university as a teacher and Maria promised her a trip to the States as an award. When I told Colin, he laughed so hard that he almost fell out of bed.

“I hope she doesn’t distract him from his studies. “ Now I was worried.

As worried as I was about Richie, it was nothing compared to Maria’s brother, Roberto. He followed Mary Ann around like a hunting dog. The day I found him in her bedroom, was the day I made my decision, he had to go. In the morning I told Maria that I felt the presence of her sister and brother were disturbing. I explained that Anne Marie could disturb Richie’s goal of becoming a lawyer. “He has a little over 4 months to finish his class work and then he must sit for his boards. When he has passed his boards, I’ll pay for Anne Marie to return.”

I don’t think Maria had thought when she was playing matchmaker, the impact from Richie’s point of view wasn’t positive. Colin told him it was his decision but he should think what his dad would have advised. I watched Richie as he struggled with his decision. I asked GG to help him. I don’t know what she did but there was a different Richie the next morning.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 21
  • Love 27
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments




View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..