Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,182 Words
  • 1,515 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 65. Chapter 65

I started to paint Thomas’s parents. Colin would check my progress each night. I would open the club, then as soon as Colin came home, I return to my painting. When the club closed, Colin would come to check on my progress.

I went to the gallery each afternoon to take Thomas to lunch. He moved his chair into the village, and that is where I would find him.

“Thomas, ready for lunch?” He would look at me with tears in his eyes. I gave him back his photo, I didn’t need that now I had the photos from the mortuary. I knew he was hurting. “Come on, let’s go and get a hotdog and an ice cream cone. I need to sign you out for this week-end.” I would make sure Marcel had a special dessert for him and Jimmy will have a special drink for him. I know some of the girls will make a fuss over him. More important, I knew all of this won’t put the smile back on his face.

Returning to the gallery, I stayed with him until I had to go to open the club. Then back to my painting.

I maintained this schedule for two weeks. Colin found a family lawyer who would handle the adoption.

I finished the portrait of his family. Early in the morning I took it to the gallery and with Mary’s help we hung it where the older painting was hung. Mary posted a sign which said sold and she put Thomas’s name as the buyer.

I was in the office with Mary. We were waiting for Thomas’s arrival. We heard the door opening, Mary went to see who entered, as normal, it was Thomas. From habit, Thomas looked at what he thought was a blank wall. Then he saw the painting. I walked out of the office to surprise him but I was surprised. He was crying very hard, “Thomas, what’s wrong.”

“The painting is sold.” Mary handed him the sold sign. I didn’t think he could read the notation concerning the buyer, his eyes were blurred with tears.

“Thomas, the buyer is you. This is your painting.”

“It’s mine?”

“Yes, I painted this for you. No one will take it from you.” While I was talking to Thomas, Mary went to the village and brought his chair. She sat it in front of the painting.

Thomas looked at me and then Mary. “Thanks Grandmother” He gave her a kiss on the cheek. Sitting in the chair he took out his wrinkled photo, comparing the photo to the painting, he reached for my hand. “Thanks Dad.” Now Mary and I had tears in our eyes.

 

That evening I told Colin what happened when I posted the completed painting in the gallery. “You couldn't have given him anything more important to him. That painting will be something he will treasure the rest of his life.”

“We should move to adopt him as soon as possible.”

“I talked to the lawyer, he felt we may have a problem.”

“What problem?”

“We are gay and if the judge is anti-gay, he may not allow it.”

“Then let’s make sure we get the right judge.” I will discuss this with the professor, I’m sure he will help. “Tell your lawyer to file the papers. I know someone who will help.” My ace in the hole is GG.

That evening sitting on the roof, I closed my eyes and whispered my request to GG.

Colin looked at me, “Tell her I send my prayers.”

That night in my sleep. GG came to me as she always did. Her smile told me I didn’t need to bother the professor, she would handle everything.

In the morning I was smiling. Colin looked at me suspiciously.”Why are you smiling.”

“Be sure to tell the lawyer to file for adoption.”

“You had a visitor last night.” I just smiled as I pulled him toward the showers.

Now, I had to get the spare bedroom ready for a special person.

I told Mom while I was waiting for Thomas. “John is going to be surprised. He gave up on having grandchildren when Colin told us he was gay.”

“And you?”

“I fell in love with that little rascal when he first called me grandmother. I couldn’t be happier.”

Two months passed, before we heard from the lawyer. We needed to show our income to verify we could support a child. Colin was able to show his salary from working for his dad, I do not work. Colin said to list my assets, my only asset was the gallery and apartments. The lawyer asked for bank accounts and now I had another problem. My bank account was under the name of Arrow. Colin said to call the bank and asked for confirmation that the Arrow account was mine.

Now I had to call Mom and have her to go to the bank and get a notarized statement stating that the Arrow account was mine. She wanted to know why, I knew she would ask that question, so I told her that Colin and I were going to try and adopt a young boy.

“So you are going ahead with Thomas. Your dad and I are anxious to meet him. Mary said he is a charmer.”

I should have known Mary would tell her.

The wait was horrible. We built our expectations and the longer we waited the possibility of the adoption not being approved increased. I’m not sure what Colin would do if the adoption wasn’t approved, but I would be devastated. As time moved forward my expectations grew and as time became stretched out my doubts grew as my fears.

Three months after applying for adoption, the lawyer told Colin our petition for adoption would be considered the following Thursday in family court at 1 pm.

The weekend before the court meeting, Colin and I took Thomas shopping for suit and new shoes. It was fun. He is an actor, he would strut as if he was on a run way. Colin got carried away and we ended up with additional pants, shirts, socks and a pair of play shoes. “He needs pjs and under wear.” Off they went.

Wednesday night before the meeting with the judge, I didn’t sleep well. I drifted into a deep sleep only to wake up from a dream of the judge not agreeing to our adoption. I tossed and turn until GG came and said to relax. Then I fell into a deep sleep.

Morning came and someone bounced on me. “Wake up, Dad.”

Opening my eyes, there was a smiling Thomas sitting on my stomach. I reached for Colin, he wasn’t there. “Where’s Pop?”

“He went down to get breakfast.” I was glad I wore pajamas to bed last night.

“You, get dressed because I have to go and get my shower. Today we have a very important meeting. “ Then I heard Colin yelling, “Get up sleepy head.”

Thomas headed to the kitchen giggling. “Hurry Dad”

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 18
  • Love 34
  • Fingers Crossed 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

15 hours ago, drsawzall said:

While I worry like many others, I suspect GG will see things work out!!

I think Mrs, Wihers has a secret that will be revealed.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
13 hours ago, Christopher said:

Talk about reaching into your heart and giving it a squeeze! Whether the judge approves it or not, Thomas has already adopted Colin and Armand and Pops and Dad as well as Mary as Grandmother. Thomas has a family regardless what is said but, GG will have the last word. ❤️

GG to the shoot out, tHOMAS WILL WIN THE JUDGE OVER

  • Love 3
Link to comment

A cliffhanger, but I'm not worrying.  I trust in GG!  The only question I have is will the family will surprise them by being in the court waiting for them?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..