Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,715 Words
  • 1,329 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 82. Chapter 82

Sunday morning seemed to come quickly. The boys were up. Colin didn’t want to get up, but when three boys came into our room to tell us breakfast is ready, we decided to get up. Putting on robes, we made a quick bathroom stop, headed to the kitchen. There was James, preparing breakfast. Looking at Colin, I gave him a thumbs up.

“James, this is a treat. We could get use to this.”

Colin got up, gave him a hug. He blushed. That started all of the boys giving him a hug. Then it was my turn.

“James, I may not have the proper papers but in my heart, you are a part of Colin and my family. You are the brother we never had.”

“Sit down, I’ll pour the coffee.”

Richie, climb on my lap and whispered, “Dad, does that mean James is our uncle.” I whispered back, “yes.”

By the time breakfast was over, James became Uncle James.

“Boy’s remember we leave tonight for Italy. After the club closes today, we will dress for our flight to Italy. Put your suitcases on your beds, I’ll help you pack them.”

“James, this summer we will close the club for a few weeks. We will visit friends in Europe and you will come with us.”

“Unless Marcel takes him to France.”

“That is a possibility. You may come back a certified French chef.” I would have thought James face would hurt from all of his smiling.

While the boys showered and dressed, Colin and I took our clothes to the third floor apartment to shower and shave.

Dressed for the day, we headed to the club’s kitchen. Within an hour the club was opened. James headed to the kitchen, the boys sat on their stools at the bar and the piano player was playing a tune the boys knew.

Colin was at the book, signing in members. Non-member quests paid their bill whereas members bill was added to their monthly billing. The Board showed up and acted as hosts, showing our guests to their table.

We have done this since we reopened the club, and now it became routine.

With the help of James, the boys took their stools up to the musician loft. They would sit there until Jimmy called them for their lunch.

Colin and I didn’t spoil the boys, the staff did. Somewhere along the line, they learned to appreciate what the staff did for them.

Mom and Dad came, along with Mom’s club and their husbands. The boys came down from the musician stage to welcome them. I was proud of our boys.

About 4 o’clock the Judge arrived with his wife. I smiled when I saw him, and seated him at a table close to the mural. One of the waiters came with a menu. He laughed when he looked at it.

Our menu was simple. We offered an American lunch, an Italian lunch, a French lunch and extras were salads and tapas. If this was your first time, you would be confused by this menu. All of the waiters knew what was included in each menu. So you would asked, what is included in, say, American menu. He or she would tell you what that included.

It was an unusual menu but according to Marcel it permitted him to vary the menu based on what vegetables and fruits that were in season. It wasn’t unusual for a guest, who is a regular, to ask for something from the French menu and Italian menu. Some of our guests had the same meal each Sunday. The waiters knew this, confirm it, and placed the order.

The bill was reviewed by Colin before presenting it to a diner for signature or payment. Change was kept at the bar for those paying in cash. That was an option for members, on Sunday only.

The judge’s wife wanted to know about the mural. She wanted to know who painted it. I told her an artist that goes by the name Arrow.

“Henry, it brings back memories when we vacationed in Europe. I think I’d like to do that again. It has been twelve years since we were there. Henry, give me some coins. I think that is the Trevi Fountain.”

The judge gave her his coins, I showed her where to stand, as she tossed her coins in the fountain. “Did you make a wish?” She nodded yes.

The waiter brought their drinks, the Judge had asked if we offered liquors or only wine. They chose a French wine. I was anxious to know if he had James’s papers.

Tommy came over, he said hello to the Judge, who remembered him. “Dad, Mrs. Anderson has arrived. Pop told me to tell you.”

“Thanks Tommy.” I gave him a hug as he left.

“Sir, I need to see Mrs. Anderson. She is in charge of the orphanage where my boys used to live.”

“Armand, invite her to our table. I don’t know her but I’d like to meet the woman who was responsible for these three lads you have adopted.”

Smiling, I approached Mrs. Anderson. “Good afternoon, Pat. The judge, whom we used to adopt the boys, would like to meet you.” She stood up and I led her to the Judge’s table.

“Your Honor, may I introduce you to Mrs. Anderson who is in charge of the orphanage where my three sons were living.”

Standing, “It’s an honor to meet you Mrs. Anderson. Won’t you join us?”

I pulled out one of the extra chairs for her. “May I get you a glass of wine?” I knew the wine she usually had with her lunch when she was here the first time. She smiled, I went to Jimmy, got the wine, gave it to their waiter to deliver.

I went to the table where the orphanage cooks were sitting, welcoming them to the club.

The boys came to welcome them as well. They got a hug and a kiss on their cheek.

I would loved to have been privy to the conversation at the Judge’s table. I took my usual position at the bar. The boys came to me, “Dad, we’re hungry.”

“Go sit at the table in the kitchen and either tell Uncle Marcel or Uncle James you’re hungry.” That is what they did, after I got my hug.

Colin came in, walked over to me, “What’s happening?”

“Nothing yet. They are sitting at Table 3 with Pat. Go say high to Mom and Dad, then come back and have a glass of wine with me.”

“Where are the boys?”

“In the kitchen having a late lunch.”

“I could go for something too.”

With his glass of wine he headed to the kitchen. I headed to the hall where Bill was attending to the book. “Bill, can I get you something to drink?”

“A white wine would be nice.”

As I was going to go and get him his wine, one of the waiters came and said the Judge was asking for me. I thanked him and told him to bring Bill a glass of white wine.

I went to the Judges table, “Is there something I may do for you your Honor?”

“Can you sit down for a few minutes?”

I did.

“I understand you have a fan club.” I must have looked puzzled.

“Mrs. Anderson, told us her charges refer to you as Uncle, is that true?”

“I’m not sure they all do but there are some of the young children that have called me Uncle.”

“She said you took all of them to a ball game yesterday.”

“Yes, we saw the Hartford Yard Goats. I think they had a good time.”

“And now you are installing bunk beds.”

“Yes, hopefully that will be done before I’m back from Italy.”

“Do you mind me asking you how do you earn a living?”

“No Ma’am, I paint. I have an art gallery across the street from Yale.”

As if someone turned on the light, “Did you paint that mural.”

“Yes” “You are Arrow?” “Yes”

“Henry, he’s the artist that Helen was raving about.”

Just then Richie came to the table. In a low voice, “Dad, Pop said to tell you to come and eat.”

“Okay, tell Pop I’ll be in a little while.” Richie stood there for a minute, I leaned over and kissed his head. He smiled and left.

“Pop is?”

“Colin, I’m Dad and Colin is Pop. The first son we adopted called us that and the other two followed.”

“They are well mannered children. I have been at fraternal clubs where children are present and most of them could take a lesson from yours.”

“Thank you.” I thought it’s now or never. “Judge, have you given any more consideration to the guardianship of James.”

“Yes I have. I expected to see him here.”

“He’s here. He’s in the kitchen working. If you would like to see him, I can have him brought here or we can go and see him in the kitchen.”

“I’d like to see your kitchen. This food is quite good.”

“Pat, want to come along?”

So the four of us entered the kitchen, Colin was still at the kitchen table. I told them to have a seat at the table with Colin.

“Your Honor, do you remember Colin, my husband.”

“Yes, from the adoptions.

“Colin, this is the Judge’s wife, Ann. You know Pat.”

I didn’t say anything, they were engrossed in watching the chefs.

James saw Pat and came over to say hello. “James, bring over a cup of coffee for our guests and one of those sweet muffins you made.”

James walked away, “Is that the boy you want to be his guardian?”

“Yes” James brought over our coffees and then went back for the muffins.

“He seems at home here.”

“He indicated a love of cooking and Marcel our chef has taking on his training. So far I’m very pleased with his cooking skills.” I was thinking of this morning breakfast.

“Could I talk to him in private?”

“Colin, show the Judge your office and I’ll send James there as soon as I tell Marcel.”

I told Marcel, he wrapped an apron around me, James headed to Colin’s office.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 24
  • Love 34
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Another excellent chapter, they have the judge there to hopefully finish the guardianship so James can stay full time while they are traveling🙏

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, mikedup said:

Another feel good chapter, it was almost like a meeting of like souls, everyone involved has been introduced and I think a good working relationship will evolve from it, now onto the trip to Italy 

Yes, and I know three boys who are very excited

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
17 minutes ago, VBlew said:

Another excellent chapter, they have the judge there to hopefully finish the guardianship so James can stay full time while they are traveling🙏

Armand and Colin will have a new brother by the time the Judge get's done. 

  • Love 5
Link to comment

Now that all things are settled, they will all be winging it to Italy.  I am sure that Marcel and James will go to France, but maybe end up coming to Italy before the entire group heads home.❤️

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..