Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,459 Words
  • 903 Views
  • 21 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 202. Chapter 202

Sitting around the kitchen table, “Jean, I want to make a frame that I can attach to the stone. I’ll need 12 stainless bolts with a screw-type ending. They need to be at least 1 and 1/2 inches in diameter and 1O inches long. I’ll make an oak frame which I will attach to the building, Once that is done, I’ll attach the painting to that frame.”

“Dad, we could do that in the museum's basement.”

“We could do everything except attach the frame to the mausoleum and the painting to the frame. We could mark the painting frame where we attach it to the building frame. Tomorrow we will get the materials and start.”

“Is anyone hungry?” That was a hint to Chef Boy.

 

For the next four days, a frame was constructed for hanging the painting. Bolt holes were drilled. The corner bolt holes were matched to the frame of the painting. several coats of lacquer were applied to the frame. “Jean, t think we are ready to bolt the support frame to the mausoleum. I’ll need a drill to cut through the stone and two-part epoxy glue,”

“What are your plans?”

“I’m going to hang this frame. After I drill into the face of the mausoleum, I’ll place the bolts and secure them with epoxy glue. When the frame is secure, then we can attach the painting.”

That evening, “Do you remember the worker who picked us up a couple of times? He has volunteered to help you.”

“That would be great, but I will need to p[ay him.”

“What part of volunteering did you not hear?”

I heard what Jean said but I would pay him something.

“By the way, how are you doing with the passport.”

“I forgot to show you. Here”

I took the envelope, it contained his papers as well as a new passport. Chef Boy’s future is about to turn for the better.

The next morning, after Chef Boy’s breakfast, we headed out to the mausoleum. Jean and I rode in the cab, the boys rode in the back.

Arriving at the mausoleum, I was surprised to see Christian.

“I didn’t expect to see you.”

“Roger told me you would be here. I came to see if I could help.”

Before I could say anything, Carl asked to be let in the mausoleum. He said he had a project to finish.

Looking at him, I winked. I knew what his project was, another angel painted on a resting place.

With the help of Jean and his worker, it didn’t take long to get the ladders in place. With a level and white chalk, I marked where I would drill. I need four spots across the top and bottom, two spots on each side.

Using a level and a tape measure I started marking the spots for the bolts. Jean’s maintenance man began to drill the holes. I measured the first hole, it needs a little more. I marked one of the bolts, and from that point on, he drilled while I marked the spot. He was fast, much faster than me. I showed him how to place the first bolt, making sure the hole contained the epoxy. Now he drilled the hole and set the bolts.

I looked at Jean, he was fast, I watched as he placed the last bolt. I still had 6 more bolts to be placed. “Take a break. You are too fast for me.” He laughed as he climbed down his ladder

I marked the last section, he was already going up the ladder.

“Jean, who is he?”

“His name is Allard. He came to me about 8 years ago looking for a job. I had two men leave, one retired and the other took ill. It turned out to be terminal. So I hired him. After 6 months working for me, I realized I didn’t need to fill the other job.”

“I’m going to pay him for helping.”

“He will be mad.”

“Not at me, I’ll be home. He’s saved me a day. After the glue dries, I can hang the frame, then in the morning I’ll check the frame if it is as solid as I hope, and I’ll hang the painting.”

We were sitting in the grass watching Allard. He was moving fast.

“Look, we are working and they are loafing.” I pointed the top of the mausoleum at Allard.

“Dad, come and look at Grandfathers sleeping place.”

I got up, and told Jean and Christian I was asked to judge a painting. Now the three of us headed inside. I looked at Carl, “You did a great job, but it is the wrong crypt.” Then I grabbed him in a hug, “Brilliant. He is going to be so proud. Don’t look now but Christian has tears in his eyes.”

“Dad, Charles helped.’

I looked for him, he was standing alone behind us. I quickly went up and grabbed him in a hug. He was surprised. There were tears in his eyes.

“Dad, can I tell him?”

I nodded yes, then I saw the tears as he ran outside. Carl ran after him. I don’t know what they were talking about.

“You told him?”

“No, Carl did.”

“How did he know?”

“I guess he had faith in you. He knows we will be going home soon so since I haven’t said anything, I suspect he assumed it was fait accompli.”

Waking outside, looking at the building, thinking tomorrow Michael will be looking back.

“What time should I bring Dad?”

“If Allard could get the painting here, I’d like to have it hung by noon, the sun will shine on Michael. Don’t be surprised if the bluebird flies. So have him here between 11 and noon.”

 

Heading home, I rode with Allard, Jean went with Christian. “I appreciated your help today.”

“I enjoyed working with you. My dad was a carpenter. As I got older, I went with him to his jobs. I learned a lot from him. When he died, I applied at the museum and I was hired. I have been treated well. But working on your project has been a great experience for me.”

“Bring your family tomorrow morning. They can watch us hang the painting.” I’m not sure he heard the last bit.

Arriving home, I looked up at Carl’s angel remembering his painting of the crypts. Smiled, and I heard the creaking of the rocker,

Walking into the living room, I was alone. The boys had gone with Christian. I decided to pack, I called and made reservations for a morning flight. Then I called home, Colin wasn’t home but I spoke with Marie, I told her I’ll be there tomorrow afternoon. I gave her my flight data.

It was good to hear her voice, I was getting homesick. I knew I’ll have to make another trip back soon but that will be quick although sad. I was getting old and losing friends and family just reminded me of my age.

I heard a car stop, the door opened and the boys were back with two stragglers, Roger and Jean. “Dad, Uncle Roger, and Uncle Jean had too much wine. They were singing on the way home.”

“Maybe some food will help. Chef Boy, while you start dinner, I’m going to get some bread and pastries, I think we will have coffee instead of wine.”

I left to get the bread and pastries at the patisserie, and for some unknown reason, I went to see Grandmere’s sleeping place. Standing there, looking at where she is sleeping, I heard ‘Bless you, son’. Looking around there was no one, no creaking rocking chair, and yet I heard that as clear as they were standing next to me. Saying Amen, I left and headed to the patisserie.

Walking into the kitchen with the bread and pastries. “Where is Roger and Jean?”

“They said they were going to wash up for supper.’

“I’ll bet they fell asleep. Let’s eat. They can reheat something if they are hungry.”

“How did you become a painter?”

“I don’t know. It wasn’t my intention. I liked to draw and then one night in my sleep a woman in a rocking chair told me I could be a painter. So for several weeks she would visit at night and tell me stories. One day I told my mother. We looked through old photos, and there she was. My mother said she was her grandmother's grandmother. So after that, I called her GG. She taught me everything I know about painting.”

“And now you are teaching me.”

“Yes, but in time you will be better than me. Listen to Grandmother in the rocker.”

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 16
  • Love 25
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There were many bright moments as Armand finishes the job and gets ready to return home.  Grand Mere's soft thank you and Armand telling Carl about GG were both very touching.  I do agree with @Anton_Cloche that Armand should stay a few hours more to create one last happy memory of Arnaud as Arnaud visits the angel that will protect his final resting place.

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Another awesome chapter, they are finished except for hanging the painting, all will be well, and they are finally going home, even if only for a short while, before they come back for the funeral 

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment

I also agree with @Anton_Cloche That Armand should stay ,See his dear friend Arnauld with His Future Guardian Angel St.Michael Portrait hung upon the Royal French Mausoleum . He should be there for his son Carl as well when it happens. touched by an angel GIF

  • Love 3
Link to comment
On 8/10/2023 at 1:02 PM, pickuptoy said:

I am glad that Charles has not got a passport to go live in America. I bet his is soon going to be adopted. I hope it is a long time before he has to make the trip back to France. Would be great if Arnauld would at least stay strong as he has gotten since seeing the angel until the entire family comes back for their annual trip. Like that all the boys that have gotten to meet Arnuald can be at the funeral along with Armand and Colin. 

I am not sure how long Arnaud will last. Seeing the painting gave him not only pleasure but also relief in his feeling of being with Michael. 

  • Love 3
Link to comment
On 8/10/2023 at 1:05 PM, weinerdog said:

That part about Armand being at Grandmere's sleeping place and hearing "Bless you Son" was touching.

 

Thank you. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 8/10/2023 at 1:16 PM, Anton_Cloche said:

"I decided to pack, I called and made reservations for a morning flight. Then I called home, Colin wasn’t home but I spoke with Marie, I told her I’ll be there tomorrow afternoon".

WHAT? Armand leaving for the U.S. in the morning before Christian brings his father Arnaud to see Saint Michael ArchAngel installed atop his mausoleum? (Guessing Armand is purposely stepping out of the spotlight and wants Carl to get recognized as the artist behind the painting. Assume Carl is staying to oversee installation, before he and 'Model Boy / Chef Boy / Charles leave for U.S.).

Why doesn't Armand want to let Arnaud thank him (before he passes) and have that last good memory? Is Armand afraid of the tears he knows will flow? 

"I was getting homesick. I knew I’ll have to make another trip back soon but that will be quick although sad. I was getting old and losing friends and family just reminded me of my age". 

I am surprised and pleased that Grandmere Lavigne spoke to Armand when he visited her resting place.

Thank you Cal @CLJobefor reminder of how and when GG became Armand's guiding light and guardian angel. 🐦 

Take care and stay well.

🫂

Tony

I would never leave you hanging. Read today's post.

  • Like 2
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
On 8/10/2023 at 2:05 PM, drsawzall said:

As one adventure ends, another shall begin. I am surprised he's going home so early in the morning...

He made reservations, didn't say what time 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 8/10/2023 at 2:12 PM, akascrubber said:

Armand is closing up his time in Paris and tying up loose ends. Chef boy has his passport and can go to America, Soon the angel painting will be affixed  to the wall of the mausoleum. Grandmere and others are being pleased. Armand was able to carefully explain GG to Carl and he should be guided by her.

An excellent summary.  Thanks 

  • Love 3
Link to comment
On 8/10/2023 at 2:16 PM, akascrubber said:

I think Anton_Cloche properly explained why Armand is leaving relatively early. He is going to be coming back to a sad time,

yes

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 8/10/2023 at 4:40 PM, chris191070 said:

I'm glad Chef Boy got his passport 

What an exciting time lays aheads for him. Saved from the streets of pairs, new friends and now a new country.

Edited by CLJobe
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 8/11/2023 at 12:29 AM, raven1 said:

There were many bright moments as Armand finishes the job and gets ready to return home.  Grand Mere's soft thank you and Armand telling Carl about GG were both very touching.  I do agree with @Anton_Cloche that Armand should stay a few hours more to create one last happy memory of Arnaud as Arnaud visits the angel that will protect his final resting place.

I will answer your comment with today's posting.

  • Like 2
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
On 8/11/2023 at 1:18 AM, mikedup said:

Another awesome chapter, they are finished except for hanging the painting, all will be well, and they are finally going home, even if only for a short while, before they come back for the funeral 

Yes, the kids at his home are very sensitive to him not being there. considering they came from an orphanage and after losing one parent or both, being left again, even for a short period of time reminds the older children of their loss.

  • Love 1
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
On 8/11/2023 at 3:02 AM, JohnnyC said:

I also agree with @Anton_Cloche That Armand should stay ,See his dear friend Arnauld with His Future Guardian Angel St.Michael Portrait hung upon the Royal French Mausoleum . He should be there for his son Carl as well when it happens. touched by an angel GIF

Arnaud will be there to see the painting hung

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, CLJobe said:

He made reservations, didn't say what time 

"I called and made reservations for a morning flight. Then I called home, Colin wasn’t home but I spoke with Marie, I told her I’ll be there tomorrow afternoon."

Hmm, Je pense (I think)... "afternoon" is defined as anytime between 12 Noon and 5pm. Getting through Paris traffic to CDG (Charles De Gaulle) airport is 30 - 45 mins, plus average 2 hr security delays plus 7 hrs 38 min flight time to New Haven CT = Not afternoon (or even late supper). 

                 Confused Bugs Bunny GIF by Looney Tunes  

Ain't I a stinker. :whistle:

🫂

CORRECTION - Wow time travel is possible! (should I buy a lotto ticket?)  Just now (12:30pm Sat Aug 12) read the next chapter and all is explained ... sort of. 😅

Edited by Anton_Cloche
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..