Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 2,176 Words
  • 946 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 185. Chapter 185

Arriving home we were met by Ronnie and Julie. It was good to see them as we missed them in Italy.

Tommy and Pepe left for the Home. “Tommy, if Pat wants to come back, please bring her. Otherwise I’ll come over tomorrow and bring her back.”

“What if she wants to stay longer?”

“Leave it to her."

"I miss the village but it is good to be home. If it was just you and I, I’d live in the village half a year and here the other half.”

“I don’t think you would be happy. Our family is here and soon we will be grandparents and then it will be hard to leave, even for a few weeks.”

“No, we will take them with us.” I laughed as I phoned Roger to see if he was home. He wasn’t, I was interested in how Arnaud was doing and his comments on the angel.

It didn’t take us long to get back in the groove of things. Our cooks weren’t back yet and neither was Maria.

We stopped and saw the grands as we wanted them to know we were back, safe and sound.

Everyone wanted to take a nap and then go out for dinner, including Marie. I knew Pete’s was closed leaving Tony’s or that French restaurant where Colin and I went when those girls spoiled our evening at the club before we were married.

“Colin, let’s go to that French restaurant for dinner.”

“You need to invite some people. They probably are too tired to cook as well.”

“Except Ronnie and Julie but we should invite them.”

Colin called and made our reservations. I told the kids we were going out to a fancy restaurant so leave your suits on. Of course, I heard a few moans. Evidently, they couldn’t wait to change into their normal clothes.

I told Marie and asked her to accompany us. The smile I received was all I needed. I called Mary and my parents inviting them as well. Mary agreed but my mom said they had just finished eating. I told her when we return we will stop for a few minutes. I knew with the kids a few minutes would be an hour or so.

Before we left, Tommy called and said Pat was staying the night and I could see her tomorrow.

 

Walking into the restaurant, Mary had to introduce everyone to the maitre ‘d. I knew Mary and John ate here often. They arranged a table for us in a large room, there was no way we all could sit in the dining room. Everyone except Mary and Marie spoke some French, so we ordered in French, even David. I heard Anne Marie whispering to him how to say what he was going to order in French.

I remember when Colin and I were here the first time. I had to order in French for both of us. Thinking back to that time I now realize I was showing off a little. Now I listen to my children showing off, ordering in French. I knew Mary and Marie were a little confuse not understanding what the kids ordered. But when the food arrived, they smiled. I laughed, they had ordered the sausage they ate at Grandmere’s home when we were in Paris. I did allow them to have a small glass of wine. I knew if we were in the dining room, they wouldn’t;t be able to have it. In a private room, exceptions can be made, discretely.

“You know what is going to happen. When we have dinner at home, they will expect to drink wine.”

“Wine comes from grape juice, they will drink grape juice and on special occasions, they can have grape juice mixed with a little wine.”

“Dad, why is it okay to drink wine in Paris with our meal and not here.”

“Colin, care to answer.”

“Yes, Colin. If I remember, you had a glass of wine when we had special dinners at home.”

“Mom, I had a very small glass. I think it was two tablespoons.” Then he laughed.

I thought there was no reason on special occasions when we have dinner at home the children could have a small glass of wine. I need to shop for small wine glasses.

“I wonder if Ivan and Elsie are back yet.”

“They must have had a great time. Ivan’s telegram said they would meet us at home.”

“I wonder what stories he will have. Maybe tomorrow when I go to the Home I’ll stop over and see if they are home.”

“Who takes care of his farm while he is gone?”

“His neighbor takes care of the animals. I’m not sure who takes care of his crops.”

 

Arriving home, Richie and Anne Marie said goodnight. They were going to walk home. When Ronnie and Julie saw them leaving, they said goodnight and left also. We could hear Ronnie yelling for Richie to wait up for them. I liked the idea they were close to us.

 

That night in bed, “If we ever move to the village, this bed must go with us.”

“Do you think we will move when the kids are all settled in their own homes with their families? You will have a hard time leaving the Home.”

“I don’t know. It’s a nice thought.”

“Let’s keep it as a thought. We can always visit as many times as you like.”

This time even Colin heard the creak of a rocking chair as he fell asleep.

 

Carl was flying high, he spent a lot of time with Carla and didn’t want to leave Italy. “Dad, next year when we go to Italy, can I go earlier?”

Armand smiled. The love bug has bitten him. “You will see her in October and they will be with us for two months. Let’s wait and see what happens. She might have a new boyfriend and you might have a new girlfriend.”

 

Roger arrived back and had a photo of the angel at the home in Paris. He told us Arnaud’s reaction and the painting brought him back to life. He and Jean are going to Poland to check out a new artist. “I told them they should be checking a young artist in the States, I think you will have visitors soon.”

“You need to show this photograph to Pat.”

“Where is she?”

Checking my watch, “She’s probably at the Home. She goes there for lunch and to see the children. They call her Aunt Pat. Do you have any more photos of the angel?”

“Yes, I figured you might want a few. I’ll keep this one, I gave one to Jean and Arnaud, you can have these two.”

I’ll give one to Pat and the other I’ll put it in Carl’s studio.

 

Ivan and his family returned two days after we did. Ronnie took the van and went to pick them up. They were excited to be back. Elsie said they had a good visit but she would have liked to have gone to Italy with us. I had booked their tickets.

“Ivan was having a great time. He met more of his family. Little Ivan was a hit. But, it’s good to be home.”

“Why don’t you stay for dinner and you can tell us more about your holiday.”

“Thanks, Dad. We need to get home. I’m sure the cattle are fine but I don’t know about the crops. James will be up in the air if any of my crops have failed. I’ll have time before they return to take care of any damage to the crops.”

 

Monday morning and life returned to normal. School wouldn’t start for several weeks and the kids needed something to occupy their time. We did go to the Home several times,. Colin took them fishing and started to teach them golf. Carl, with Roger’s help, continued to paint. I thought he was making great process and his paintings were doing well in the gallery. Mary had increased his prices since his first painting was sold. There was one painting that he hung in his studio, It was a new painting of Carla.

I continued to paint at the Home. I selected boys to paint as football players. There was no way Ronnie would have a football team unless he adopted.. I also had to paint some girls as cheerleaders. Tommy said I had to play fair.

I showed Pat the photo of the angel. Roger told her about Arnaud’s reaction. “Do you think the Angel will bless the home and some oil the boys will stay there and not leave in the morning?”

“I don’t know. The culture is so different there. It’s possible young boys may stay there. It’s important to know there are places if the boys want to take advantage of it.”

Her smile told me she no longer felt like a failure.

 

School started, our chefs returned and everything was back on schedule. David was well enough along he started to go to school with the rest of them. Now our home was quiet. After the first week, I knew I couldn’t stay home. I no longer had a studio here and my alternative was the Home. I spent a lot of my time there, not only painting but getting to know the kids that were too young to go to school. I played games with the 5 years old and held the younger children. Looking into their faces, watching them smile as I help them. Feeding them, I was ready to adopt them all. Tommy said in a way I have adopted them. Even the kids who were in school. I thought about that for a long time. Will I continue to adopt some of these children as my current family heads off to college and their own lives? Is my destiny to provide an intimate home for the most hurt or needy child. With these thoughts running through my head, I heard the creak of a rocker.

On the first weekend in September, we took a trip to the zoo. It seems everyone looks forward to the zoo. As usual, the gift shop loads up on teddy bears and other stuffed animals. I think most of the kids have several stuffed animals but there is always room for more. As usual, we had two buses and two vans. The older boys had to go along and it was fun to watch little Ivan as he saw the animals. I think I enjoyed the zoo as much as the children. Something’s never changed, when we were at lunch my friend with his monkey arrived. I think someone called him to tell him I had arrived with a group of children. We went through the line, it was hot dogs, hamburgers, and French fries, with an ice cream bar for dessert.

Sitting there eating I could tell the kids who have been to the zoo before were waiting for something. They would take a bite of their hot dog and then look around as if they expected something to happen. Those who were here for the first time, ate their lunch while chatting to their friends. Just as I thought the care keeper and his monkey wouldn’t show up, the door opened and he walked in. As soon as the monkey saw me he took off heading directly for me, The kids howled with laughter. This is what they were waiting for.

I hadn’t finished my hotdog so the monkey ate what was left. His keeper said in all of the times they have entered the cafeteria he has never acted like this.

I wasn’t afraid as the monkey wasn’t aggressive. There was just something about me that attracted him. Collin said it was my aftershave lotion. I knew that wasn’t true since I have changed lotions from the first time. In fact t this morning my lotion bottle was empty so I used Colin’s.

I’ll need to ask GG. There has to be something for the monkey to remember me. I didn’t mind, the kids enjoyed it. Colin said I would do anything to make those kids happy, and he was right,

After lunch we went to the petting zoo, Here is where the kids had a great time. Carl was snapping photos, I knew he would be painting some of those photos. When they began to get tired, Colin said we should head back home. We had to stop at the souvenir place, everyone got a stuffed animal. I listened, “I got that the last time we were here, I’m getting this monkey this time.”

The bus ride back home was very quiet. I noticed some of the younger children were drifting off to sleep.

Arriving back at the Home, those that could walk did, the younger children we carried. Tucking them into bed with their souvenir, I wished I could adopt them all.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
  • Love 25
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

They arrived safe, but tired. It was a great idea to go the French restaurant.  I liked it when the kids all ordered in French, and had to laugh that they ordered sausage.  Armand seems to have a little difficulty adjusting to settling down with the older boys now out on their own.  At least he has an alternative by spending time a the Home.  As always, the trip to the zoo was most enjoyable.  More adoptions for Collin and Armand?  I would bet on that. The odds would be highly favorable for it to happen.  Armand and Collin always need a kid project whom they can focus their love upon.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
18 hours ago, drsawzall said:

I would not be surprised if there are a few more adoptions...soon!!!

I think Armand and Colin will adopt any child who is hurting

  • Love 2
Link to comment
8 hours ago, raven1 said:

They arrived safe, but tired. It was a great idea to go the French restaurant.  I liked it when the kids all ordered in French, and had to laugh that they ordered sausage.  Armand seems to have a little difficulty adjusting to settling down with the older boys now out on their own.  At least he has an alternative by spending time a the Home.  As always, the trip to the zoo was most enjoyable.  More adoptions for Collin and Armand?  I would bet on that. The odds would be highly favorable for it to happen.  Armand and Collin always need a kid project whom they can focus their love upon.

Yes, there is nothing like seeing your child leave home. It drives the point home, 'you are getting old'

  • Love 3
Link to comment

For some reason, this reminded me of the Waltons show ending:

"Richie and Anne Marie said goodnight. They were going to walk home. When Ronnie and Julie saw them leaving, they said goodnight and left also. We could hear Ronnie yelling for Richie to wait up for them. I liked the idea they were close to us".

A simpler time perhaps?

Thanks Calvin. 

🐦

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..